Netflix to lose 2000 movies tomorrow

Options
r.prince18
r.prince18 Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
netflix-television.jpg

Netflix streaming catalog is about to lose nearly 2000 movies.

As of May 1, 2013, Netflix will officially have 1794 fewer titles in its streaming repository. Now, before you freak out too much, this isn't as bad as the Great Netflix Starzageddon of 2012. After Netflix and Starz were unable to renew their streaming agreements with one another, more than a 1,000 films — including many of the newer films in Netflix's streaming catalog — disappeared from the service.

This time, most of the titles (you can see the full list here) are inconsequential and include titles such as Caged Fury (yes, that's a real movie starring Erik Estrada) and 1998's Deep Impact. Still, we're also losing Cruel Intentions, which makes my 16-year-old heart break into thousands of tiny pieces.

For his part, Brobible's Andy Moore will be doing a viewing party for Big Daddy tonight.

So why are these titles leaving Netflix? Licensing. The titles belong to Warner Bros., MGM and Universal and will soon only be accessible through the Warner Archive Instant service. Yeah, I didn't know about that service either. Apparently for $10 a month you can get a selection of streaming films only slightly better than what Redbox Instant offers. Who knew!

While this purge might not be of Netflix's most important titles, it could be a sign of things to come. Earlier this month, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings said that he was considering letting a broad television deal with Viacom Networks lapse. That would mean that shows from Nickelodeon, MTV, VH1 and BET could all disappear from the service at the end of May.

Now, losing Cruel Intentions is one thing, but if I lose Teen Mom and SpongeBob SquarePants, I'm seriously going to be unhappy.

What sub-par Netflix movie will you miss the most? Let us know in the comments.

http://mashable.com/2013/04/30/netflix-streamageddon-2013/

Comments