Brand Split Officially ends on may 31st

Options
r.prince18
r.prince18 Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
From PWI:

The brand extension, which has really been dead for some time, officially ends on 5/31. From that point on, WWE will advertise all events as simply WWE Live, as opposed to Raw and Smackdown. For whatever reason, the Smackdown brand was never really able to have the same staying power on the road as the Raw side, so it makes sense to just brand it all WWE. It will be interesting to see how much they mix the roster of the house shows up going forward as even though pretty much all the major stars are on all the TV shows at this point, the house shows were still split by roster.

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What they mean "for whatever reason"? Everyone knows SD failed because they insisted on moving all of SDs top stars to RAW. Smackdown was treated as a farm system for RAW guys. Almost all the last major champions on either brand got their first run on Smackdown: Eddie, Benoit (was switched to RAW right before winning the title but was pushed heavily on Smackdown), Cena, Jeff Hardy, Cena, Edge (first main event push was on Smackdown but got injured before winning the title) and Punk (won first WHC on RAW but didn't actually main event until his feud w/ Hardy on SD).

That's everybody except Orton, Miz, & Batista since the brand split happened. Smackdown put in WORK building guys and RAW either reaped the benefits or ruined them.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    how will everybody get to fight?
  • Young Gunner
    Young Gunner Members Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    WWE can just not make a good thing last
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Its been over for years now
    yup dunno why everyone acting shocked about it. Its been unofficial for awhile. I wonder if this means the end of the World heavyweight title. Maybe a unification by Summerslam?
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KingGivBiz wrote: »
    yup dunno why everyone acting shocked about it. Its been unofficial for awhile. I wonder if this means the end of the World heavyweight title. Maybe a unification by Summerslam?

A vengeance 2001 pay per view with at Summerslam would be crazy.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I want this badly.

We need a WWE World Heavyweight Championship.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    It's been dead since 2007 IMO. They shouldn't merge none if the titles because it gives guys an opportunity to be a world champion. Would Ziggler be champion if there were 1 world title today? Probably not.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Merging titles won't happen. The WHC will still main event house shows, they just won't be branded "Smackdown" anymore
    . I also don't expect the format for television to change much either with the WWE title being the focus on RAW and the WHC being the focus on SD. IF that were to change then yeah merge them.
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it would make more sense to make raw 3 hrs long if there was only one brand so they could get as many wrestlers pt as possible and unify the titles, and they got the show on ION on wednesdays and saturday morning slam? it could work
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dont think they should unify, whc still has a lotta prestige, puts work horse wrestlers like ziggler and bryan in the spotlight, i actually think they should highlight it even more, if anything gets unified it should prolly be the us and ic title
  • TheBossman
    TheBossman Members Posts: 19,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    if that's the case, they should merge the two titles. bring back the wwe undisputed title
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kofi still aint go get a push

scust
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ...so in other news ? will continue to be ran as ? has been running....great news

? would've been GOAT if they would've put all of wcw roster on smack down and renamed it nitro and kept wwe on raw and had a wcw vs wwe ppv once a year....and new talent would've been placed wherever they fit in or needed....but hey no one listens to copper
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited May 2013
    Options
    1 MAIN TITLE - WWE belt
    1 MID CARD TITLE - IC belt
    TAG TITLES
    LIGHT/CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE
    A GIMMICK BELT - ? or Euro
    WOMANS BELT

IS HOW ? SHOULD BE EVERYBODY ISNT MEANT TO BE WWE/WORLD CHAMPION MATERIAL.
  • iChuy83
    iChuy83 Members Posts: 88 ✭✭
    Options
    Eliminate US Belt and everything will fix itself.

WWE
    World Heavyweight
    Intercontinental
    Tag Team
    Women's

Thats all that is needed!!!
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CopperKing wrote: »
    ...so in other news ? will continue to be ran as ? has been running....great news

? would've been GOAT if they would've put all of wcw roster on smack down and renamed it nitro and kept wwe on raw and had a wcw vs wwe ppv once a year....and new talent would've been placed wherever they fit in or needed....but hey no one listens to copper

i always blame HHH for the invasion failure somewhat, cause the raw after he tore is quad the first time, the angle slowly started, i always thought that the reason HHH was such a ? trying to hog the world title in 02-03 is cause he felt that he missed such a "good" angle that he wanted to make up for it in his own way, just my theory
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I say if they do unification it won't until Wrestlemania unless Vince doesn't give ? and just fast track to have the match done at this year's Summerslam. I hope if they go through with it that it's done right.
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Brand Extension killed the WWE in the first place. I'll never forget that wack ass draft when they first implemented it.
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Brand Extension killed the WWE in the first place. I'll never forget that wack ass draft when they first implemented it.

I came in to say this. What started the ball rolling was after wwe acquired ecw and wcw. Vince should have let the ? run like nothing happened. 90% of the wrestling fans would be watching would be vince wrestling but on the surface no one would know. Just like how 90% of the food we eat is ran by 4 different companies. I used to go bat ? when I'd see a wwe wrestler show up on wcw or vice versa. ? could have had the same significance to fans but on the low all it would be is a different wrestler traveling with the other label. We could have gotten Monday night wars 2.0( or worse case thunder vs smackdown) if vince was brave enough but all we got was a couple "dream matches" that didn't live up to the hype because the wcw guy had to fall.

• Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they not gonna be able to properly manage allt hat talent
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I came in to say this. What started the ball rolling was after wwe acquired ecw and wcw. Vince should have let the ? run like nothing happened. 90% of the wrestling fans would be watching would be vince wrestling but on the surface no one would know. Just like how 90% of the food we eat is ran by 4 different companies. I used to go bat ? when I'd see a wwe wrestler show up on wcw or vice versa. ? could have had the same significance to fans but on the low all it would be is a different wrestler traveling with the other label. We could have gotten Monday night wars 2.0( or worse case thunder vs smackdown) if vince was brave enough but all we got was a couple "dream matches" that didn't live up to the hype because the wcw guy had to fall.

Run 2 shows. On two nights. In different cities.......u know how much money that would cost
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I liked the Brand extension when it 1st started. Workhorses/rookies (Smackdown) vs Superstars/Veterans (Raw) But Vince wanted to double his profits by having both shows touring. Smackdown is suffering because of all network and Days/Time switches.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    The two main problems that came with this whole draft ? :

Once: one the "draft" started, SD was pretty much the "B" show, and no one on there - unless they had a belt, or was in a match for a belt - was taken serious until they got to Raw.

Two: it caused confusion as to who the true champion of the 'E was. The World Heavyweight Championship title was virtually worthless; ? was equivalent to winning the NIT. Congrats, you're now king of the Minor Leagues. ? that. ONE main belt. It's not like they haven't "unified" the two belts before; they just caved in and reactivated the WCW belt. Nah, let that stay gone.

One VERY good thing that will come out of this: now the writers have the FULL roster at their disposal for Raw, so they don't have to DBZ-drag ? out on Raw anymore. Let everyone cook for 5-25 minutes, depending on their status, and those three hours actually seem like too little time, plus no one gets burned out for over performing every night.
  • smokelahoma
    smokelahoma Members Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »

Run 2 shows. On two nights. In different cities.......u know how much money that would cost

u act like Vince is broke or cant afford it, FOH.