Conspiracy Theories That You Actually Believe

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ILL_Anvers
    ILL_Anvers Members Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Options
    I'm willing to learn new stuff and all. I looked it up.
    But still, what is your point...?
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ILL_Anvers wrote: »
    [img][/img]
    9/11 was an obvious false flag...

how the UK gon know some ? happened before it even happens?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mxFRigYD3s

At approximately 2:00 pm, firefighters noticed a bulge in the southwest corner of 7 World Trade Center between the 10th and 13th floors, a sign that the building was unstable and might collapse. During the afternoon, firefighters also heard creaking sounds coming from the building.
    http://www.firehouse.com/article/10568001/captain-chris-boyle

Actual firefighters who know more about fires and building collapses than your average ? internet conspiracist[B/], reported that it might collapse.
    Think about it, if this was some major conspiracy, then why would the bbc know about a controlled demolition and then just give it away?
    The point of a conspiracy is to mislead people, not to lead them to the truth.
    GTFOH

Typical dumb ? ignoring the scientific evidence and labeling somebody a "internet conspiracist" (is that even a damn word) at the same time not knowing all the information at hand. First off, even if there was sounds heard, NO BUILDING collapses that fast without a controlled demolition. Have you seen a controlled demolition? It looked EXACTLY like building 7 and each tower. Secondly, this was supported by actual physics experts who a lot smarter than yo ignorant azz. Not some internet rumor.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • whar
    whar Members Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Small correction but Kennedy won Cook County, Rock Island County, and 4 counties down in the southern part of the state across the Mississippi from ST Louis. Basically the places people actually lived Kennedy won while Nixon carried the rest.

In 2012 Obama carried the state by 16% points and lost 80 of the 102 counties.
  • ILL_Anvers
    Options

Typical dumb ? ignoring the scientific evidence and labeling somebody a "internet conspiracist" (is that even a damn word) at the same time not knowing all the information at hand. First off, even if there was sounds heard, NO BUILDING collapses that fast without a controlled demolition. Have you seen a controlled demolition? It looked EXACTLY like building 7 and each tower. Secondly, this was supported by actual physics experts who a lot smarter than yo ignorant azz. Not some internet rumor.

con·spir·a·cist [kuhn-spir-uh-sist]
    noun
    a person who believes in or supports a conspiracy theory.

By "internet conspiracist", i meant, someone who watches a couple of 9/11 truth youtube vids and arrogantly thinks he knows much more than the general public. You get the idea.

Actually, i used to believe the conspiracy theory to some extent.
    I looked at both sides of the story with an open mind but in the end, the conspiracy theory didn't seem credible anymore.
    There's also a lot of actual scientists who don't agree with you and are also a lot smarter than yo ignorant azz. We can play this childish game all day long but i won't, 'cause i don't wanna waste too much time on this ? .
    Here's one of many peer reviewed papers on the collapse subject:
    http://www.structuremag.org/Archives/2007-11/SF-WTC7-Gilsanz-Nov07.pdf

Do i have all the answers? No.
    Am i 100% certain the official story is true and the conspiracy isn't? No.

But from what i've seen, the major conspiracy seems highly unlikely and the so called evidence didn't persuade me to believe it.
    Believe whatever you want to believe bruh, it's your life.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
  • ILL_Anvers
    Options

seriously dude?

the whole... using sound to make heat, didnt seem SHOCKING to you?

I think you're confusing LRAD with ADS.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • ILL_Anvers
    Options

seriously dude?

the whole... using sound to make heat, didnt seem SHOCKING to you?

I think you're confusing LRAD with ADS.

it's possible.... ive had to memorize alot of friggin acronym's...

I forgive you.
    Btw, ADS works like a microwave, it doesn't use sound.

I agree, technology is amazing but WHAT THE ? is your point?!
    How, when and where did they use this as part of a conspiracy?
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    So you believe the Warren Commission? Or that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone?
    Warren Commission? eh. Oswald acted alone? yeah.
    9/11? Too much evidence pointing back to the Bush administration. You gotta kiddin me
    do you have any serious evidence beyond "i don't like the Bush administration?"
    Thats important considering if you look at the hole at the Pentagon, its very small and impossible for a huge plane to fit through.
    the question i HAVE to ask in this scenario is "are you aware of the actual size of the Pentagon?" also, what's your position on eyewitness testimony, again?
    Lastly, how coincidental is it that the alleged mastermind of this be business partners with the commander in chief?
    this tells me you're confusing various Bin Ladens
    First off, even if there was sounds heard, NO BUILDING collapses that fast without a controlled demolition. Have you seen a controlled demolition?
    wait, how many times have you seen other airliners strike the WTC to know that they wouldn't collapse that fast?

• KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh guess we're stuck on 9/11 again.. NEXT!!!!
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    do you have any serious evidence beyond "i don't like the Bush administration?"
    Nobody liked the Bush administration, given the amount of lies we found they sold the public. I'd tell you to do your research, but you obviously already made up your mind "its not true" before looking at all the information. Fool
    the question i HAVE to ask in this scenario is "are you aware of the actual size of the Pentagon?" also, what's your position on eyewitness testimony, again?
    Eye witnesses stories were all over the place. Some saw a plane, other saw a missle.

I'm more concerned with the ACTUAL wreckage. The official explanation was that the plane completely disintegrated into the Pentagon leaving only the engine & tiny skid marks. Really??? What happened to the airplane??? Its impossible for a 747 (w/ passenger's) to completely vanish in a plane crash. Where were the bodies??? Can you educate me?

(Knowing you, you'll probably avoid these questions & change the subject, we'll see)

this tells me you're confusing various Bin Ladens
    So there's more than one Bin Laden family now??? Gtfoh my ? . You sound real stupid defending the undefendable. The Bush & Bin Laden families have a long business relationship together. Thats NOT a conspiracy but a fact. Stop it
    wait, how many times have you seen other airliners strike the WTC to know that they wouldn't collapse that fast?
    Thats irrelevant. Even if the plane did melt the steel in the towers, 1)They wouldnt have collapsed that quickly. Plus the towers were built to withstand temperatures hotter than a airplane 2)What's common in a controlled demolition is an explosion before the collapse. Firefighters in the buildings verified hearing these sounds from the basement. 3)Having seen a controlled demolition before, thats the ONLY way buildings collapse at that speed.

I'm tired of debating you bro. You don't answer any questions or respond directly to anything. All you've done is tap dance around things you CLEARLY have no knowledge of. After you defended George Zimmerman I lost hope. Good luck in life
  • brown321
    brown321 Members Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    9/11 looks like a controlled demo all day but I can't get past how they could do it, so I say no to that.
    I think that the gov is lying about it tho.
    & the fact that the made up group Al-qaeda hasn't done anything america since 9/11 after they made them seem like super villains ain't helping.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    When was the last time you saw or heard of a plane flying directly into a building as reinforced as the pentagon? The plane that crashed into the field was damn near gone also. Those weren't huge passenger jets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDbo1hyXsuQ

What happened to the the people that were seen boarding those planes earlier that day? What about the phone call from the plane that crashed into the field? You have conspiracy theorist saying no planes crashed into the towers at all even with all the eye witness shots and obvious damage. You also have reports that floors near the ground level were on fire from the fuel eating everything up and the heat was contained and multiplied which made the structure even more weak. The collapse points occurred within the damage areas so you also have the weight of the upper floors resting on damaged beams along with missing beams. This was the second attack on the WTC by Al-Qaeda with the first being in 93. The WTC was always the biggest target because of what it represents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjq-yK2ak_U

http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/jom/0112/eagar/eagar-0112.html
    The World Trade Center was not defectively designed. No designer of the WTC anticipated, nor should have anticipated, a 90,000 L Molotov cocktail on one of the building floors. Skyscrapers are designed to support themselves for three hours in a fire even if the sprinkler system fails to operate. This time should be long enough to evacuate the occupants. The WTC towers lasted for one to two hours—less than the design life, but only because the fire fuel load was so large. No normal office fires would fill 4,000 square meters of floor space in the seconds in which the WTC fire developed. Usually, the fire would take up to an hour to spread so uniformly across the width and breadth of the building. This was a very large and rapidly progressing fire (very high heat but not unusually high temperature). Further information about the design of the WTC can be found on the World Wide Web.

I do believe bush ignored many flags because he had no concern for info from the previous administration. Also, he was going to attack Iraq regardless of 911 because 911 wasn't used as a reason for the attack but it did help to plant the seed. This is why the focus was in Iraq and Afghanistan was forgotten.
  • janklow
    Options
    Nobody liked the Bush administration, given the amount of lies we found they sold the public. I'd tell you to do your research, but you obviously already made up your mind "its not true" before looking at all the information. Fool
    oh, here we go with all your "DO YOUR RESEARCH" ? . spare me. at this point, i think it's clear you don't even know what it means to do research, because it's not actually "just agree with whatever stupid ? blackamerica posted today."

also, you want to pretend the Bush administration is the first administration to lie to the public? AHAHAHA
    Eye witnesses stories were all over the place. Some saw a plane, other saw a missle.
    let me hear about eyewitnesses that SAW this missile. not that i am from the area or anything, but as far as i generally hear, it's eyewitnesses saying "a plane hit the Pentagon" and conspiracy dudes (such as yourself) on the internet going "i heard a missile hit it."

oh, and i believe the gas station footage you were talking about WAS released, but did not show the crash. there IS, however, footage of the crash ... which i have not figured out why you don't want to mention.
    The official explanation was that the plane completely disintegrated into the Pentagon leaving only the engine & tiny skid marks. Really??? What happened to the airplane??? Its impossible for a 747 (w/ passenger's) to completely vanish in a plane crash. Where were the bodies??? Can you educate me?
    (Knowing you, you'll probably avoid these questions & change the subject, we'll see)
    see, why would anyone think you're willing to discuss a topic when you act like that? and let's be clear: for all your hurt feelings, you dodged MY question, the one that preceded the remark about eyewitness testimony: "are you aware of the actual size of the Pentagon?"

so let's see: they didn't say the plane "completely disintegrated," they said the front portion did while the rest of the debris drove more than three "rings" of the Pentagon. this in turn answers the questions of "what happened to the airplane" (as it didn't disintegrate) and the nonsense about it vanishing. then we can look at the large amount of damage to the Pentagon and its surroundings. "where were the bodies?" recovered from the crash, with DNA confirmation. "tiny skid marks?" this is why i ask the question that you're afraid to answer: do you understand how big the Pentagon is? i hate to quote the world's most popular source, but remember, "the world's largest office building by floor area."

there, now you're educated.
    So there's more than one Bin Laden family now??? Gtfoh my ? . You sound real stupid defending the undefendable. The Bush & Bin Laden families have a long business relationship together. Thats NOT a conspiracy but a fact. Stop it
    okay, let's see what you posted:
    "Lastly, how coincidental is it that the alleged mastermind of this be business partners with the commander in chief?"

so are you saying Osama Bin Laden is business partners with George W. Bush? or are you saying that Mohammed bin Awad Bin Laden was the mastermind of the 9/11 attacks? because i am pretty sure that a) Osama's the one commonly associated with the 9/11 attacks, not his father, b) you'd probably call him the head of al-Qaida more than the mastermind of these attacks, and c) you're really quick to say something stupid in your rush to leap at my remark, but it would have been better to actually read my post.
    Thats irrelevant. Even if the plane did melt the steel in the towers, 1)They wouldnt have collapsed that quickly. Plus the towers were built to withstand temperatures hotter than a airplane 2)What's common in a controlled demolition is an explosion before the collapse. Firefighters in the buildings verified hearing these sounds from the basement. 3)Having seen a controlled demolition before, thats the ONLY way buildings collapse at that speed.
    listen to yourself: you've seen a controlled demolition, so you know how it happens... but seeing an airliner strike the WTC is "irrelevant." if you want it to be irrelevant, you'd better stop basing your argument on "things i have seen."
    I'm tired of debating you bro. You don't answer any questions or respond directly to anything.
    except when i do and it makes you sad on the internet.
    All you've done is tap dance around things you CLEARLY have no knowledge of.
    right, either we agree with you 100% or we NEED TO DO RESEARCH. but one day you'll grow up and understand that adults disagree about things even when they have knowledge of them.
    After you defended George Zimmerman I lost hope.
    yeah, go ahead and quote me doing that.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    9/11 conspiracy? Obviously, there are unanswered questions, but this is nothing to decisively believe because there is no undisputed evidence that definitively proofs it. I could be ignorant about such evidence if it does exist, but it seems apparent to me that the debate is still ongoing, and no resolution has been made, so I cannot believe in any 9/11 conspiracy yet. I feel the same about Pearl Harbor conspiracies, UFO conspiracies, JFK assassination conspiracies, Sandy Hook conspiracies, etc. These are all conspiracies for a reason because they haven't developed into fact-based occurrences.

However, conspiracies that have transitioned into factual occurrences (to my knoweldge) are the fact that widespread election fraud occurs in the United States; the fact that there is a relatively strong push to "unite" Canada, the United States, and Mexico either into a single nation or into a union (i.e., an NAU much like the EU); the fact that the Bilderberg Group exists (though I'm not exactly sure what its purpose is); the American mainstream media may or may not be in cahoots with the government, but it certainly is pitifully biased, deceptive, and fallacious; etc. These, unlike the 9/11 conspiracies, are not conspiracies at all. They are facts, but they are open secrets, which make them appear to be conspiracies.
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plenty of "conspiracies" have been validated over the years.

U.S. apologizes for syphilis experiment in Guatemala
    By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Editor

WASHINGTON | Fri Oct 1, 2010 5:24pm EDT

(Reuters) - The United States apologized on Friday for an experiment conducted in the 1940s in which U.S. government researchers deliberately infected Guatemalan prison inmates, women and mental patients with syphilis.

In the experiment, aimed at testing the then-new drug penicillin, inmates were infected by prostitutes and later treated with the antibiotic.

"The sexually transmitted disease inoculation study conducted from 1946-1948 in Guatemala was clearly unethical," Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said in a statement.

"Although these events occurred more than 64 years ago, we are outraged that such reprehensible research could have occurred under the guise of public health. We deeply regret that it happened, and we apologize to all the individuals who were affected by such abhorrent research practices," the statement said.

Guatemala condemned the experiment as a crime against humanity and said it would study whether there were grounds to take the case to an international court.

"President Alvaro Colom considers these experiments crimes against humanity and Guatemala reserves the right to denounce them in an international court," said a government statement, which announced a commission to investigate the matter.

Guatemalan human rights activists called for the victims' families to be compensated, but a U.S. official said it was not clear there would be any compensation.

President Barack Obama called Colom to offer his personal apology for what had happened, a White House spokesman said.

The experiment, which echoed the infamous 1960s Tuskegee study on black American men who were deliberately left untreated for syphilis, was uncovered by Susan Reverby, a professor of women's studies at Wellesley College in Massachusetts.

***Continued in link***
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/10/01/us-usa-guatemala-experiment-idUSTRE6903RZ20101001
    UK firm tried ? drug on orphans

GlaxoSmithKline embroiled in scandal in which babies and children were allegedly used as 'laboratory animals'

Antony Barnett in New York
    The Observer, Sunday 4 April 2004 04.35 EDT

Orphans and babies as young as three months old have been used as guinea pigs in potentially dangerous medical experiments sponsored by pharmaceutical companies, an Observer investigation has revealed.

British drug giant GlaxoSmithKline is embroiled in the scandal. The firm sponsored experiments on the children from Incarnation Children's Centre, a New York care home that specialises in treating ? sufferers and is run by Catholic charities.

The children had either been infected with ? or born to ? -positive mothers. Their parents were dead, untraceable or deemed unfit to look after them.

According to documents obtained by The Observer, Glaxo has sponsored at least four medical trials since 1995 using Hispanic and black children at Incarnation. The documents give details of all clinical trials in the US and reveal the experiments sponsored by Glaxo were designed to test the 'safety and tolerance' of Aids medications, some of which have potentially dangerous side effects. Glaxo manufactures a number of drugs designed to treat ? , including AZT.

Normally trials on children would require parental consent but, as the infants are in care, New York's authorities hold that role.

The city health department has launched an investigation into claims that more than 100 children at Incarnation were used in 36 experiments - at least four co-sponsored by Glaxo. Some of these trials were designed to test the 'toxicity' of Aids medications. One involved giving children as young as four a high-dosage cocktail of seven drugs at one time. Another looked at the reaction in six-month-old babies to a double dose of measles vaccine.

Most experiments were funded by federal agencies like the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Until now Glaxo's role had not emerged.

In 1997 an experiment co-sponsored by Glaxo used children from Incarnation to 'obtain tolerance, safety and pharmacokinetic' data for Herpes drugs. In a more recent experiment, the children were used to test AZT. A third experiment sponsored by Glaxo and US drug firm Pfizer investigated the 'long-term safety' of anti-bacterial drugs on three-month-old babies.

***Continued in link***
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2004/apr/04/usa.highereducation
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^ nice drop. I remember hearing or reading about the first story. Reminds me of the Tuskegee "Experiment." Again this is fact, not conspiracy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-YMdaEdbcg
  • janklow
    Options
    wait, who called the syphilis conspiracy in Guatemala before the story came out? because that's kind of the point of talking about conspiracies being validated over the years.
  • cobbland
    Options
    wait, who called the syphilis conspiracy in Guatemala before the story came out? because that's kind of the point of talking about conspiracies being validated over the years.

There were individuals who questioned whether experiments were being conducted on citizens in "third world" countries (which has happened and continues to), even if they didn't specifically call the syphilis experiment in Guatemala.

• cobbland
    Options
    Victims speak out about North Carolina sterilization program, which targeted women, young girls and blacks
    Mon Nov 7, 2011 9:09 AM EST

By Michelle Kessel and Jessica Hopper
    Rock Center

Elaine Riddick was 13 years old when she got pregnant after being ? by a neighbor in Winfall, N.C., in 1967. The state ordered that immediately after giving birth, she should be sterilized. Doctors cut and tied off her fallopian tubes.

“I have to carry these scars with me. I have to live with this for the rest of my life,” she said.

Riddick was never told what was happening. “Got to the hospital and they put me in a room and that’s all I remember, that’s all I remember,” she said. “When I woke up, I woke up with bandages on my stomach.”

Riddick’s records reveal that a five-person state eugenics board in Raleigh had approved a recommendation that she be sterilized. The records label Riddick as “feebleminded” and “promiscuous.” They said her schoolwork was poor and that she “does not get along well with others.”

“I was ? by a perpetrator [who was never charged] and then I was ? by the state of North Carolina. They took something from me both times,” she said. “The state of North Carolina, they took something so dearly from me, something that was ? given.”

It wouldn’t be until Riddick was 19, married and wanting more children, that she’d learn she was incapable of having any more babies. A doctor in New York where she was living at the time told her that she’d been sterilized.

“Butchered. The doctor used that word… I didn’t understand what she meant when she said I had been butchered,” Riddick said.

North Carolina was one of 31 states to have a government run eugenics program. By the 1960s, tens of thousands of Americans were sterilized as a result of these programs.

Eugenics was a scientific theory that grew in popularity during the 1920s. Eugenicists believed that poverty, promiscuity and alcoholism were traits that were inherited. To eliminate those society ills and improve society’s gene pool, proponents of the theory argued that those that exhibited the traits should be sterilized. Some of America’s wealthiest citizens of the time were eugenicists including Dr. Clarence Gamble of the Procter and Gamble fortune and James Hanes of the hosiery company. Hanes helped found the Human Betterment League which promoted the cause of eugenicists.

It began as a way to control welfare spending on poor white women and men, but over time, North Carolina shifted focus, targeting more women and more blacks than whites. A third of the sterilizations performed in North Carolina were done on girls under the age of 18. Some were as young as nine years old.

For the past eight years, North Carolina lawmakers have been working to find a way to compensate those involuntarily sterilized in the state between 1929 and 1974. During that time period, 7,600 people were sterilized in North Carolina. Of those who were sterilized, 85 percent of the victims were female and 40 percent were non-white.

“You can’t rewind a watch or rewrite history. You just have to go forward and that’s what we’re trying to do in North Carolina,” said Governor Beverly Perdue in an exclusive interview with NBC News.

While North Carolina’s eugenics board was disbanded in 1977, the law allowing involuntary sterilization wasn’t officially repealed until 2003. In 2002, the state issued an apology to those who had been sterilized, but the victims have yet to receive any financial compensation, medical care or counseling from the state. Since 2003, three task forces have been created to determine a way to compensate the victims. Officials estimate that as many as 2,000 victims are still alive.

Riddick was one of several victims to speak at a public hearing this summer. It was the first time that many survivors had told their stories publicly and that others heard of North Carolina’s tarnished past.

“To think about folks who went in…and their doctor told them this was birth control and they were sterilized…the folks who didn’t have the capacity to make the decisions, the uninformed consent,” said Perdue. “Those types of stories aren’t good for America and I can’t allow for this period in history to be forgotten, that’s why this work is important.”

Only 48 victims have been matched with their records, something necessary for them to eventually be compensated. State Representative Larry Womble has been advocating for the survivors of the state’s sterilization program for nearly 10 years. He helped fight for the repeal of the state’s law.

Womble said that if the government is “powerful enough to perpetrate this on this society, they ought to be responsible, step up to the plate and compensate.”

In August, a task force created by Gov. Perdue recommended that the victims be compensated, but they were unsure how much to award the victims. Previous numbers pondered range between $20,000 and $50,000. The task force also recommended mental health services for living victims and a traveling museum exhibit about North Carolina’s eugenics program.

Perdue said it’s a challenge to determine how much money each victim should be given.

“From my perspective, and as a woman, and as the governor of this state, this is not about the money. There isn’t enough money in the world to pay these people for what has been done to them, but money is part of the equation,” she said.

Riddick once sued North Carolina for a million dollars. Her case made it all the way to the Supreme Court of the United States, but the court declined to hear the case. “I would like for the state of North Carolina to right what they wronged with me,” she said.

Some victims and their advocates have questioned whether North Carolina is procrastinating in compensating them, hoping they’ll die before a solution is reached. “It’s an ugly chapter in North Carolina’s book, we have a wonderful book, but there’s an ugly chapter,” Womble said. “We must step up to the plate and we must realize and take responsibility.”

Perdue, for her part, said that she is committed to helping the victims.

“I want this solved on my watch. I want there to be completion. I want the whole discussion to end and there be action for these folks. There is nobody in North Carolina who is waiting for anybody to die,” Gov. Perdue said.

Despite the state social workers who declared Riddick was “mentally ? ” and “promiscuous”, she went to college and raised the son born moments before she was sterilized. Her son is devoted to his mother and a successful entrepreneur.

Elaine is proud of her achievements.

“I don’t know where I would be if I listened to the state of North Carolina,” she said.

http://rockcenter.nbcnews.com/_news/2011/11/07/8640744-victims-speak-out-about-north-carolina-sterilization-program-which-targeted-women-young-girls-and-blacks?lite

• cobbland
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Can Bill Gates stop hurricanes? Scientists doubt it

Story Highlights
    Hurricane experts doubt feasibility of Bill Gates-backed weather-control idea
    Idea is "on a scale that humans have never really done before," says NOAA
    Renowned Colorado professor William Gray: It won't completely stop hurricanes
    Theory: Barges would cool ocean surface sapping energy from oncoming storms

By Ayesha Tejpar
    CNN

updated 2:13 p.m. EDT, Tue September 1, 2009

(CNN) -- Hurricane experts are throwing cold water on an idea backed by billionaire Microsoft founder Bill Gates aimed at controlling the weather.

Gates and a dozen other scientists have raised eyebrows by submitting patent applications for a technology to reduce the danger of approaching hurricanes by cooling ocean temperatures.

It's a noble idea, given the horrible memories from Hurricane Katrina, which slammed into the Gulf Coast four years ago this week.

The storm, which rated a frightening Category 3 when it made landfall in Louisiana, was blamed for $81 billion in damaged and destroyed property and the deaths of more than 1,800 men, women and children.

Skeptics applaud the motive of the concept but question its feasibility.

"The enormity of it, in order to do something effective, we'd have to do something at a scale that humans have never really done before," said Gabriel Vecchi, a research scientist with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

How exactly would this hurricane-zapping technology work?

Hurricanes are fueled by warm water, and cooling the waters surrounding a storm would slow a storm's momentum.

According to the patents, many tub-like barges would be placed directly in the path of an oncoming storm. Each barge would have two conduits, each 500 feet long.

One conduit would push the warm water from the ocean's surface down. The other would bring up cold water where it lies deep undersea.

World renowned hurricane expert William Gray, who's been studying and predicting the storms for a half-century, also doubts whether the proposal would work.

"The problem is the storms come up so rapidly," said Gray, a professor of atmospheric science at Colorado State University. "You only get two to three days warning. It's very difficult to bring up enough cold water in two to three days to have much effect."

The idea itself isn't groundbreaking, according to Gray, who said it could only be feasible if the barges were put into place at the beginning of hurricane season with the idea that storms will come.

"But you might do all that, and perhaps no storms would come. That's an economic problem," Gray said.

Even if the technology does work, Gray said it won't completely halt a hurricane.

"There is no way to stop it. The storm might weaken in the center, but the outer areas wouldn't be affected much."

And flooding and storm surges are determined by these outer winds, Gray said.

When word of Gates' five patent applications first made headlines in July, alarmed bloggers lit up the Internet, expressing fears that playing with ocean temperatures could lead to catastrophe, possibly forcing a storm in a different direction.

That's not likely, said Kerry Emanuel, a professor in atmospheric sciences at Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

"You're doing something to the ocean that the hurricane would have done anyway," Emanuel said.

Cold water that churns up during a storm slows down a hurricane naturally. But the coldest water is usually at the rear of the storm, so sometimes it's too late to weaken [the storm], Emanuel said.

"The key is doing it a little sooner than the storm itself does it and make [the hurricane] weaker than it would have been," he said. "There are enough experiments to find out whether hurricanes' natural cooling could steer the storm in a different location, and the answer is no, or it's a very small chance."

While Emanuel believes the physics are conceivable, he says the cost of implementing the system shouldn't outweigh the benefit.

"This would only be practical if the amount [of money] you spend doing this would be less than the damage caused by the hurricane," Emanuel said.

Gates and scientist Ken Caldeira, both listed as inventors on the patents, did not respond to CNN's requests to comment about their venture.

The patents, which were only made public last month by the U.S. Patent and Trade Office, were filed in January by Searete LLC. The company is a subsidiary of Intellectual Ventures, an invention firm run by Microsoft's former chief technology officer Nathan Myhrvold.

A spokeswoman for Intellectual Ventures, which holds about 27,000 technology patents, didn't elaborate on the cost associated with the patent.

"At this point, there are no plans for deployment, so there is no talk of funding," she said, adding that it could take up to 18 months for the patent application to be approved.

Regardless, inventors say that this technology is not something they'll be rushing to use anytime soon.

"This type of technology is not something humankind would use as a 'Plan A' or 'Plan B,'" Paul "Pablos" Holman, an inventor in the Intellectual Ventures laboratory, wrote on the company blog.

"These inventions are a 'Plan C,' where humans decide that we've exhausted all our behavior changing and alternative energy options and need to rely on mitigation technologies. If our planet is in this severe situation, then our belief is that we should not be starting from scratch at investigating mitigation options."

Hurricane expert Gray agrees.

"I don't think this is anything that's going to be done in the next few decades in a practical sense, but maybe further down the line," Gray said. "I would love to see Bill Gates, with all his money, use some of it to experiment.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/08/28/hurricanes.gates.gray/index.html
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I believe some of the 9/11 conspiracy for the simple fact that i dont believe it would be that easy for hijackers to fly passenger planes in 2 of the most secure buildings in the world.
    Especially after the 93 bombings