Marvel "Infinity" Event Discussion

Options

Comments

• Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jaxn wrote: »
    I have a feeling Thanos' generals will end up being his children.

Thanos killed all his kids in Thanos Rising, supposedly all the generals are Surfer level in power

• evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh at Surfer level beings. Avengers Finna get mollywhopped.
  • jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jaxn wrote: »
    This Adam cat sound like warlocks backstory. I don't like it. Oh that girl Smasher. I need to get my marvel now on now. I have been catching up on old comics for about 3 years now.

Nightmask and Starbrand are originally from the New Universe books that came out several years ago (pretty good and more of a down to earth telling of superheroes). Marvel even did a New Universal a few years back trying to reintroduce the New Universe into Marvel and that's what we have here with the Starbrand and Nightmask. Nightmask's origin has been greatly changed from his original concept though. Starbrand first made it's appearance in an old Quasar book..at one point, the Starbrand had merged with Quasar iirc.

Now that u mention it, I DO remember this happening. Crazy how long ago that was (late 80s/early 90s).

Spitfire was my favorite from the New Universe line.

The New Universe had great characters..very unique powersets
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Smh at Surfer level beings. Avengers Finna get mollywhopped.

lol Im sure they got a lot of backup, Black Bolt,Gaurdians of The Galaxy etc Blue Marvel is back
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Video aint on yotube

http://video.comicbookresources.com/comics/marvel/marvel-comics-infinity-trailer/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_72575

Marvel Comics “Infinity” Trailer

Infinity, the six part blockbuster comic event of the summer, brought to you by the star studded creative team of Jonathan Hickman, Jim Cheung, Jerome Opena & Dustin Weaver, takes fans to every corner of the Marvel Universe, and beyond! Earth has been marked as an “Avengers World”, protected by Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and more from the deadliest threats facing humanity. A powerful and destructive race is on a collision course with Earth and the only thing in their path is the Avengers! But even Earth’s Mightiest Heroes realize the one hope of defeating this dire threat is to unite every great hero across the cosmos…because only with a united Avengers Universe is there any chance of survival!

With our heroes at the other end of the universe, who is left to protect Earth? Enter Thanos, the galaxy’s most ruthless threat and an unparalleled force of brutality who brings order to the chaos of life through murder. The greatest threat to the Mad Titan’s work—and perhaps the universe’s greatest hope—is something he created leaving no world safe. Earth’s last hope may lie in the hands of a man who can level cities with a single whisper – Black Bolt, king of the Inhumans. But can the fearsome leader of a race hated and feared by his world, lead his people against Thanos? If they fall, so does the Earth—and the entire universe with it.

The Biggest Heroes. The Biggest Threats. The Biggest Sacrifices. This is Marvel’s INFINITY.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    damn it went down in new avengers with its infinity lead in/tie in

spoilers if you want to know with out reading
    wakanda destroyed atlants
    The living tribunal was killed by something not revealed
    Thanos invades earth
    Black Bolt may be ending his marraige
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    lmao I just downloaded New Avengers 8, Hunger #1 and Uncanny Avengers #10
  • DrMindbender122
    DrMindbender122 Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn, so that's who The Watcher was showing Iron Man, huh?
  • Ghost Leopard
    Ghost Leopard Members Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    damn it went down in new avengers with its infinity lead in/tie in

spoilers if you want to know with out reading
    wakanda destroyed atlants
    The living tribunal was killed by something not revealed
    Thanos invades earth
    Black Bolt may be ending his marraige

@cottoncityslim my nig, bless us with some comic scans.

I might actually check this event out.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ummm, what the ? is all I have to say in response to that spoiler.
  • Ghost Leopard
    Ghost Leopard Members Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bp had to come back at atlantis. I just wanna see how it went down.
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    nobody reading the Hunger event? 1st issue dropped, its the follow up to what happens after Age Of Ultron ? up the dimensions. Galactus is let loose
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Anybody reading Thanos Rising? That ? is good. I know a lot of people thought it was unnecessary because Thanos didn't really need an origin story, but to me it's perfectly done. All I got to say is Death is one ? up ? .
  • MorganFreemanKing
    MorganFreemanKing Members Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    nobody reading the Hunger event? 1st issue dropped, its the follow up to what happens after Age Of Ultron ? up the dimensions. Galactus is let loose

Yeah i got that. It's got the Gah Lak Tus wave from the Ultimate Universe merging with him
  • Bcotton5
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Anybody reading Thanos Rising? That ? is good. I know a lot of people thought it was unnecessary because Thanos didn't really need an origin story, but to me it's perfectly done. All I got to say is Death is one ? up ? .

yea I read all 4 issues that are out hes about to destroy Titan in the last issue
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    lmao just read New Avengers #8
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »

Yeah i got that. It's got the Gah Lak Tus wave from the Ultimate Universe merging with him

It's crazy that a being as powerful as Galactus just got a power-up.
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im ehhhhhh about this. Seems like Infinity wont resolve or substantially further any of the major plotlines within New Avengers and Avengers (hickman is known for playing the long game, so i doubt this event will be fulfilling) and honestly, thats my primary reason for getting invested in crossovers. Otherwise ? a waste.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I disagree. To me the best crossovers are the ones that are wrapped up nicely and basically stand on their own. Stories like Infinity Gauntlet, Age of Apocalypse, and Annihilation were great events. Even if after each of those, the other books went back to the status quo without much change, the events themselves were still great.
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I disagree. To me the best crossovers are the ones that are wrapped up nicely and basically stand on their own. Stories like Infinity Gauntlet, Age of Apocalypse, and Annihilation were great events. Even if after each of those, the other books went back to the status quo without much change, the events themselves were still great.

You make a good point. But a good reason why those stories stood out is because crossovers weren't so numerous back then. I think if crossovers weren't so prevalent now a days, i'd be more inclined to invest in them. But ? IMO given how many crossovers there are a year (especially Marvel) Im like "Will this ? really matter? Cuz if not, pass".

Plus while I think DC is utter ? and has been for at least 4 years now.....I feel that for a last few of their crossovers/events, they felt very organic and had proper build up and resolution (Infinite Crisis, Sinestro Corps War, New Krypton, and Blackest Night even tho it was kinda disappointing)...whereas Siege was the last Marvel event imo that felt built up and promptly ended the post civil war era at marvel. AvX always seemed like it came outta ? nowhere (tho that might have more to do with the fact that the X-Universe hasn't revolved around a central vision like Avengers did with Bendis).

Point is, Marvel has had a lot of pointless crossovers to me; mind you I think its great that Marvel "rewards" their head writers with a chance to do a company wide crossovers (for awhile you were ? outta luck at DC unless your last name was Johns)....but some of them in recent years ( especially fear itself, AvX and age of ultron) felt forced.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

You make a good point. But a good reason why those stories stood out is because crossovers weren't so numerous back then. I think if crossovers weren't so prevalent now a days, i'd be more inclined to invest in them. But ? IMO given how many crossovers there are a year (especially Marvel) Im like "Will this ? really matter? Cuz if not, pass".

Plus while I think DC is utter ? and has been for at least 4 years now.....I feel that for a last few of their crossovers/events, they felt very organic and had proper build up and resolution (Infinite Crisis, Sinestro Corps War, New Krypton, and Blackest Night even tho it was kinda disappointing)...whereas Siege was the last Marvel event imo that felt built up and promptly ended the post civil war era at marvel. AvX always seemed like it came outta ? nowhere (tho that might have more to do with the fact that the X-Universe hasn't revolved around a central vision like Avengers did with Bendis).

Point is, Marvel has had a lot of pointless crossovers to me; mind you I think its great that Marvel "rewards" their head writers with a chance to do a company wide crossovers (for awhile you were ? outta luck at DC unless your last name was Johns)....but some of them in recent years ( especially fear itself, AvX and age of ultron) felt forced.

Well, I can't really disagree with what you're saying there. Big events have become the norm. That said Cosmic Marvel events have been consistently good. I think that's largely because that's how Cosmic Marvel has been more or less developed over the past few years. The events there aren't so much events as they are the way Cosmic Marvel stories are told. Everything is supposed to be on a grander scale, so as a result the stories encompass more.
  • CottonCitySlim
    Options
    Im ehhhhhh about this. Seems like Infinity wont resolve or substantially further any of the major plotlines within New Avengers and Avengers (hickman is known for playing the long game, so i doubt this event will be fulfilling) and honestly, thats my primary reason for getting invested in crossovers. Otherwise ? a waste.

wrong

Hickman says infinity will advance both storylines and show how both runs cross over storywise, clear up the story more but wont obviously give too much away. Both are 3 year runs

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=44678

• CottonCitySlim
    Options
    Marvel Comics annual sojourn into the wide world of event comics starts up on May 4's Free Comic Book Day with "FCBD: Infinity." But until recently, the specifics beyond that one-shot preview issue by writer Jonathan Hickman and artist Jim Cheung. Now fans know that August sees the launch of the full, six-issue "Infinity" even by Hickman and artists Cheung, Jerome Opena and Dustin Weaver – a story that sees the Avengers and the Guardians of the Galaxy taking on threats in space and on earth including the Mad Titan Thanos.

"It's big. Roughly 18 issues worth of story if you include the and tie-ins," Hickman explained today during an open Q&A at Marvel.com. The writer was joined by Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso and SVP Executive Editor Tom Brevoort. "'Infinifty' delivers on our promise that it's called the Marvel "Universe" for a reason. No series has narrowed the gap between Earthbound and cosmic heroes more than this," Alonso said.

"It's a battle waged on two fronts, as the Avengers head off into space to deal with a looming cosmic threat, only to have Thanos strike at an undefended Earth during their absence," Brevoort explained of the series' core pitch. But over the course of the chat, the trip filled in many more details about the book including who would be drawing what, how many tie-ins would be published and which heroes and villains would be taking part in the story.

"The central idea was Jonathan's," Brevoort said of the series' origin. "It was a pitch for a big summer story to run in the 'Avengers' titles that grew and expanded out from there...Jim is doing issues #1 and #6. Jerome and Dustin are divding #2-5 in a way that will hopefully make story sense when you see it." Hickman soon clarified, saying, "Jim is doing the book ends. Jerome is covering space. Dustin has earth."

As far as the shipping schedule, Brevoort promised, "Six issues over four months, between August and November. So one in Aug, two in Sept and Oct, one in Nov." He went on to say of the tie-ins: "Both 'Avengers' and 'New Avengers' will be doing full-fledged tie-ins throughout the duration of 'Infinity.' So that's six issues of 'Avengers,' #18-23, and four issues of 'New Avengers,' #9-12. On top of that, there'll be an assortment of tie-ins in other titles across the Marvel line, books as diverse as 'Scarlet Spider' and 'Thunderbolts' and 'Wolverine & The X-Men' and 'Captain Marvel'...There'll definitely be more tie-ins than there are for 'Age Of Ultron.' It'll be more in line with 'Fear Itself' or something of that size in terms of tie-in issues."

The executive editor added, "Also, can I reveal that Leinil Yu is drwing the six AVENGERS tie-in issues, starting with #18? And there's some Atlantean-related goings-on in 'New Avengers' #7 even before we get to 'Infinity.'"

Brevoort dug deeper into the core story, saying, "Out in space, the threat that's headed this way is the Builders, the oldest race in the universe, whom we've seeded in earlier issues of 'Avengers.' They're tearing their way through the great civilizations of the universe, so expect to see the Kree, the Skrulls, the Shi'ar, etc...Thanos himself has five new key lieutenants, the Cull Obsidian, who are like the five fingers on his massive hand. He points, they do. Each one is a fascinating new character in their own right....'Avengers' will follow the Avengers on their mission into space, and 'New Avengers' will be dealing with the Illuminati team on Earth. But while it seems like two stories, it's all really one massive story with many arms and many parts...Maybe even some Spaceknights."

Hickman noted, "On Earth: The Illuminati are big. The Inhumans have a big coming out party. In Space: All your favorites. The return of the Skrull Empire. The Imperial Guard. The Kree. The Shi'ar. The Second Annhilation Wave. The Brood. The Spartax. And then there are the bad guys."

Some expected players in the saga were Lee and Kirby's Inhumans of whom Brevoort said, "And as we've mentioned elsewhere, there's a big role for the Inhumans to play in all of this, given the fact that their civilization strattles the line between being space-born and native to Earth...The Inhumans are great characters, and for all that they've been around for decades, we feel like we've only just scratched the surface of them. Big Inhumans plans down the line, growing out of 'Infinity.' With Black Bolt in 'New Avengers' and Medusa in 'FF,' they've been getting more play recently than in a long time. Expect to see more of that." He added, "Medusa will be in 'Infinity,' but it's too early to determine whether there'll be a full-on 'FF' tie-in story."

As for the Builders, Hickman promised that despite some early appearances in his Marvel NOW! "Avengers" run, "You don't need to know anything. We'll set it up for you. But, if you have been reading, you know that they are one of the oldest races in the Universe and they've been up to shenanigans for millions of years…and it's finally coming home to roost." Brevoort added, "They're the oldest race in the universe, they seeded life and tended it like a garden over the millennia, creating several cosmic systems to manage its growth. The Garden, comprised of Ex Nihilo, Abyss and Aleph, from AVENGERS #1-3, was one of their systems. The tip of the iceberg. This is Daddy coming home."

Overall, they promised the event would hold significance to Hickman's run and to the Marvel U as a whole. "[This is] definitely just a part of the story along the way, albeit a big part. Jonathan's got two years of stuff mapped out even beyond 'Infinity," Brevoort said while the writer added, "In terms of the longer story I'm doing, yes, consider 'Infinity' as the end of act one. 'Infinity' is massive, but the aftermath is going to be something else." The editor also noted, "'Age Of Ultron' is before 'Infinity,' but it doesn't lead directly into it. It does, however, lead into a bunch of other cool stuff, some of which will happen after 'Infinity!'"

As for other heroes from the Marvel U that may show up along the way, the trip promised appearances from Silver Surfer, the X-Men and the cast from the New Universe who have just reappeared. In fact, Hickman said most of the cast of his "Avengers" comics will play a significant role. "Smasher will be all over 'Infinity'. She's got the connection to the Imperial Guard, so she'll be crucial," Brevoort said with Hickman adding, "Big Smasher moments in the Imperial Guard and Space sections of 'Infinity.'"

Alonso noted that Marvel was "still discussing Adam Warlock" but he seemed enthusiastic about the character's future in the modern Marvel U.

Stay tuned to CBR News for more on "Infinity" as it becomes available.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    The thing I want to know is why is Thanos even bothering with Earth. Is there something there he wants? I mean Earth should really hold no real significance for him.
  • nicky the don
    nicky the don Members Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I think he sensed when the gauntlet was destroyed, so that's a reason he'd come. But that's too easy and obvious. All the stuff about him wanting offerings from worlds could be something. Also earth has been put off limits, so saying the heroes go off-planet, he may find this the perfect time.

But I'm like everyone else, waiting for it to kick off. I wish Cable had a big part in this. Hell, and bring back Richard Rider, Quasar, Phylla-Vell and Cosmo.