School Rex on Why Gentrification is Bad

Options
Maximus Rex
Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2013 in The Social Lounge
I guess this more or less a Part II to http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/479971/embracing-your-inner-uncle-ruckus. The other day I noticed something rather interesting, I was going towards the train at Schenectady and Eastern Parkway, when I noticed one of those breaded hipster white dudes with some Trader Joe bags. Then it dawned on me that there's been an influx hipster types who have made their way east of Nostrand Ave, the demographics of Crown Heights is changing, rapidly at that. About ten or fifteen years ago the only white people in Crown Heights were Hasadic Jews, now it's Carribean ? , the Lubavitchers, and an infusion of hipsters.

If y'all have noticed, but Rex tends to go very hard on negros, namely because I see negros as the main source ? problems in America, (but that's another thread,) my issue is that our communities have racthet and ? up for the damn near five decades, sure we had to deal with racism, classism, and bunch of other "isms," but during segregation ? had to deal with those issues hundred fold. We've been derelict in our duty to make our neighborhoods, safe and desirable places to live, work, play and educate our youngsters. So if another group sees the potential in our neighborhoods, who are we to ? and complain when "x" group brings our nieghborhood to it's potential?

As far as businesses not being able to afford the rent, hey as cold as it sounds, that's economic Darwinism. The business owner's goal should have been able to buy the building his business was in and to formulate a business model that would have generated enough revenue so the proprietor of said business would have been able to withstand the economic changes to the neighborhood.

Comments

• real_live_chit
    real_live_chit Members Posts: 36
    Options
    I embrace ism.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 6,385 ✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    If someone could kindly pull up The Gentrification Thread...
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Because the original inhabitants of the area cannot afford to live their anymore.........

It actually creates more slum areas....

Forced disenfranchisement of poor and working class people from the spaces and places in which they have legitimate social and historical claims..........

• Maximus Rex
    Options
    bambu wrote: »
    Because the original inhabitants of the area cannot afford to live their anymore.........

Who's fault is that?
    Forced disenfranchisement of poor and working class people from the spaces and places in which they have legitimate social and historical claims..........

Being poor and working class is a lifestyle choice.

• bambu
    Options

Who's fault is that?

Ok......

These ? chose to grow up without ? ............

*Why don't the poor people just buy some money*

• Maximus Rex
    Options

Who's fault is that?

Ok......

No, but their parents chose to have children that they couldn't afford.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It steals an area's cultural identity and forces good people to undesirable outskirts. We need to find a way to start improving communities while maintaining its culture and people. I swear I hate these ? opportunistic hipster developers who feel entitled to any land they deem prime like they don't already have their own ? .
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @plap explain why crackkas are bad

Ty
  • bambu
    Options

Who's fault is that?

Ok......

No, but their parents chose to have children that they couldn't afford.

Allah blesses individuals with children.........

Planned parenthood is a white thing.................

• Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I noticed one of those breaded hipster white dudes

so we gonna ignore "breaded hipsters" or nah?
  • Real Lady2
    Real Lady2 Members Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Worked for the state for ten years and I know some scope. They are planning to end all high rise projects. They believe if you mix them with the working class it will motivate ghetto get jobs and to get off the system
  • bambu
    Options
    My city has been renovating the projects or public housing........

The ? looks good now, but in fifty-years the ? will be slummy looking again......

The problem is that they want to mix incomes in the "black" areas of town, but will not put any "mixed income" housing in the "white" areas.........

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    honestly, this particular story makes it sound like the REAL problem is not gentrification, but "breaded hipster white dudes with some Trader Joe bags." which i think we can all get behind stamping out.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NYETOPn
    NYETOPn Members Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stop this
    If y'all have noticed, but Rex
    School Rex
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I really don't have a problem with it driving ? out of neighborhoods. At face value, I really don't hate gentrification in general. What does irk me though, is that it seems like an extension of the pale-faced imperialism that we've seen throughout history. There's a certain sense of entitlement that just seems embedded in them. But it is what it is.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Empress_ wrote: »
    If someone could kindly pull up The Gentrification Thread...

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/489495/the-official-us-gentrification-thread

Also check this:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/20/nyregion/suburbs-are-home-to-growing-share-of-regions-poor.html?_r=0
    The analysis, released on Monday by the Metropolitan Policy Program of the Brookings Institution, also found that while the number of poor people in New York City and Newark declined by 7 percent, or 120,000, the number in the suburbs rose by 14 percent, or 100,000, from 2000 to the census’s rolling 2008-10 American Community Survey.

The poor have typically been concentrated in big cities and rural America. Increasing poverty in the New York metropolitan area’s historically affluent suburbs mirrored a national trend detailed in the analysis, “Confronting Suburban Poverty in America” by Elizabeth Kneebone, a fellow at the Metropolitan Policy Program, and Alan Berube, a deputy director of the program.

The first decade of the 21st century was a tipping point, the authors wrote. Suburbia, they said, is now home to the “fastest-growing poor population in the country.”

While New York and Newark’s combined share of poor people in the region dipped from 71 percent to 67 percent, the cities were home to twice the 800,000 or so people who officially qualified as poor in the suburbs in 2010.

“It seems like as the city prospered and got more expensive over the 2000s, poverty crept up in a lot of the region’s older suburban communities,” Mr. Berube said.

“It might not have been people moving from city to suburban neighborhoods per se, but as the region creates more low-wage jobs, and attracts more new immigrants, low-income households that in the past might have located in the Bronx or Brooklyn are now settling in places like northern New Jersey and Westchester County.

“It’s telling that the city’s ‘suburban’ borough, Staten Island, is the only one that saw its poor population increase over the 2000s.”

Christopher Jones, vice president for research of the Regional Plan Association, blamed higher housing prices for the demographic shift.

The rising cost of shelter pushed poorer people out of Manhattan and Brooklyn, in particular.

Also, he said, a smaller percentage of workers from suburban areas like Nassau County were commuting to high-paying jobs in Manhattan, and the jobs that were in their hometowns were at shopping malls, in health care and in landscaping, and generally paid less.

At the same time, tenants were doubling up and living in illegal apartments.

Dozens of smaller cities, townships and boroughs registered double- and even triple-digit increases in their poverty rates over the decade.

Among the places where the population of poor residents increased since 2000 were, in New Jersey, Bayonne, Bergenfield, Clifton, Edison Township, Garfield, Hoboken, Hunterdon County, Lakewood, Linden, Mount Olive, New Brunswick, Passaic, Paterson, Perth Amboy, Raritan, Summit, Teaneck and Woodbridge; on Long Island, Brookhaven and Glen Cove; in Westchester, Ossining; in Putnam County, Carmel; and in Rockland County, Ramapo.

Poverty rates increased in some places even after the recession officially ended in 2009, according to the Brookings analysis, but the poor population declined from 2000 to 2010 by 11 percent in Brooklyn and by 10 percent in Manhattan.

It rose 18 percent on Staten Island.

According to federal guidelines, the current poverty level for a family of four is annual income below $23,350.

Gentrification doesn't solve poverty or anything it just pushes to the side