E3 Nintendo Direct Announced

Options

Comments

• focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    But the grand theft auto series is something that continues to see improved realism and growth. Likewise that series is actually heavily anticipated and critically acclaimed.

And Nintendo games aren't? LOL. Homie, don't make me post those metacritics and sales from Wii's software.

And, you need Mario to be more realistic? Why? And...you already think GTA is realistic? LOL. Wow.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    focus wrote: »
    What great exclusives are on the Wii U as of now? Later down the line, ok, but currently, there isn't anything on there.

Yea but, what great exclusives were their in the first year of any console since the OG XBOX and Halo? Wii Sports, which is something a little different, but other than that...???

the question should not be what exclusives did other consoles have but what exclusives will actually get people to buy wii u? are they just going to make a nicer looking version of (insert 10+ year old series here) or are they going to make something that will lead to console and game sales boosts.

Wii U isn't a next gen system its a slight update in for some ways is for better of what the wii was but in many way for worse what the o.g. who the ? is going to want a zelda game where you gotta switch between some sorry ass tablet then whip out the nunchucks then go back to a tablet? What 20 something year old metroid fan is going to blow nearly $400 for a console and $50+ for a nicer looking experience?

It's funny how you simplify every new iteration of a franchise to being a "nicer looking version". So I suppose GT4 and GT5 are the exact same game despite having different approaches to the physics and a revamped game engine right?

Why should I bother with GTA V when I could just replay San Andreas?

People would want to play a new Zelda and a new Metroid on Wii U for the same reason they wanted to play them on previous consoles despite owning older versions. On top of being new entries in fan favorite franchises they have completely new game engines, new level designs and different presentations to a familiar concept built from the ground up to fully take advantage on the new platform they're appearing on.

But the grand theft auto series is something that continues to see improved realism and growth. Likewise that series is actually heavily anticipated and critically acclaimed. How much improved and realistic is super mario bros on wii compaired to gamecube or N64? What benifits do you get from buying mario kart or smash bros on wii u than on wii or gamecube?

I graduated from college last year and while i was in school nobody was playing call of duty on playstation 2 or xbox. they were playing that game on 360 or ps3. But more people played mario kart or smash bros or mario on n64's they brought up than their nintendo wii.

The low sales of Wii U during last holiday season and the continued loss of die hard nintendo fans from caring about the latest nintendo products is proof that the "nicer looking" games are not as appreciated as previous versions of nintendo exclusives.

Well for one thing Mario Kart on GC gives you a completely different dynamic from the N64 version because you have to strategically juggle 2 characters per Kart. That right there makes it a completely different type of challenge. Especially since even the layouts of the tracks were revamped to take advantage of the 2 character dynamic and how that could affect shortcut approaches. Never was into Smash Bros. so I can't really comment on that.

The Wii U has sold 3.06 million units worldwide since last November. New Super Mario Bros U has sold 2.15 million copies worldwide since then. Seems like plenty of people care about "nicer looking" versions of older Nintendo games to me.

Super Mario Bros Wii is actually at 1.84 mill acording to VG Chartz

Also other exclusives aren't doing ?

Zombi U: Not even at 500K

Monster Hunter: Under 400K

games aren't selling on the Wii U period

At this point in every other console of last gen there were still shortages and still people lined up to buy games despite bugs and system malfunctions and broken tv screen from nunchucks. But the Wii U does not have close to that demand.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    What great exclusives are on the Wii U as of now? Later down the line, ok, but currently, there isn't anything on there.

Yea but, what great exclusives were their in the first year of any console since the OG XBOX and Halo? Wii Sports, which is something a little different, but other than that...???

the question should not be what exclusives did other consoles have but what exclusives will actually get people to buy wii u? are they just going to make a nicer looking version of (insert 10+ year old series here) or are they going to make something that will lead to console and game sales boosts.

Wii U isn't a next gen system its a slight update in for some ways is for better of what the wii was but in many way for worse what the o.g. who the ? is going to want a zelda game where you gotta switch between some sorry ass tablet then whip out the nunchucks then go back to a tablet? What 20 something year old metroid fan is going to blow nearly $400 for a console and $50+ for a nicer looking experience?

It's funny how you simplify every new iteration of a franchise to being a "nicer looking version". So I suppose GT4 and GT5 are the exact same game despite having different approaches to the physics and a revamped game engine right?

People would want to play a new Zelda and a new Metroid on Wii U for the same reason they wanted to play them on previous consoles despite owning older versions. On top of being new entries in fan favorite franchises they have completely new game engines, new level designs and different presentations to a familiar concept built from the ground up to fully take advantage on the new platform they're appearing on.

But the grand theft auto series is something that continues to see improved realism and growth. Likewise that series is actually heavily anticipated and critically acclaimed. How much improved and realistic is super mario bros on wii compaired to gamecube or N64? What benifits do you get from buying mario kart or smash bros on wii u than on wii or gamecube?

I graduated from college last year and while i was in school nobody was playing call of duty on playstation 2 or xbox. they were playing that game on 360 or ps3. But more people played mario kart or smash bros or mario on n64's they brought up than their nintendo wii.

The low sales of Wii U during last holiday season and the continued loss of die hard nintendo fans from caring about the latest nintendo products is proof that the "nicer looking" games are not as appreciated as previous versions of nintendo exclusives.

Well for one thing Mario Kart on GC gives you a completely different dynamic from the N64 version because you have to strategically juggle 2 characters per Kart. That right there makes it a completely different type of challenge. Especially since even the layouts of the tracks were revamped to take advantage of the 2 character dynamic and how that could affect shortcut approaches. Never was into Smash Bros. so I can't really comment on that.

The Wii U has sold 3.06 million units worldwide since last November. New Super Mario Bros U has sold 2.15 million copies worldwide since then. Seems like plenty of people care about "nicer looking" versions of older Nintendo games to me.

At this point in every other console of last gen there were still shortages and still people lined up to buy games despite bugs and system malfunctions and broken tv screen from nunchucks. But the Wii U does not have close to that demand.

When did that website stop tracking sales for the game? because on Nintendo's official site as of March 2013 it's at 2.15 million units worldwide.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/wiiu.html

I kinda would believe it straight from the horse's mouth before anybody else's tbh.

When will you people get it? people buy Nintendo home consoles for Nintendo games not for 3rd party games. It's been that way since N64 which I didn't even own because PSX had the third party exclusives I wanted. Or do you think its a coincidence that Nintendoland and a Mario game are the "killer apps" for the platform as of this writing?
  • focus
    Options
    Most games on Wii U and 3DS are released digitally from day one, which isnt included in VGChartz tracking.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options

When did that website stop tracking sales for the game? because on Nintendo's official site as of March 2013 it's at 2.15 million units worldwide.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/wiiu.html

I kinda would believe it straight from the horse's mouth before anybody else's tbh.

When will you people get it? people buy Nintendo home consoles for Nintendo games not for 3rd party games. It's been that way since N64 which I didn't even own because PSX had the third party exclusives I wanted. Or do you think its a coincidence that Nintendoland and a Mario game are the "killer apps" for the platform as of this writing?

But even for in house games the Wii U has launched quietly and is one of the most underwhelming launches in the past 15 to 20 years for a home console. Again stores were sold out for wii ps1 ps2 ps3, xbox, gamecube any console of the last 15 to 20 years. But the Wii U is not getting that feel.

Nintendo Jumped the gun with this console and didn't even get it right. Tech wise its nearly obsolete. Sales wise its not on par with other consoles during their launch periods. And i doubt a few more better looking graphic wise games will help its case that much either.
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    Options
  • Broddie
    edited May 2013
    Options
    @Monizzle14 It's only been 7 months and nobody was asking for a new console especially since there aren't many Nintendo games for it right now. Hell the 360 and PS3 compared to previous gens basically "flopped" if we want to get technical. People are more into mobile gaming than home console gaming in today's world that's just reality. You will see people gaming on a smartphone or tablet before you see them on a PS3 or 360. Hell people don't even buy portable consoles anymore. The market has drastically changed from what we grew up understanding as the norm.

Me myself I have been playing video games since the late 80's yet I never bought a Wii, PS3 or 360. I was cool with playing PSP and Nintendo DS on the train ride home. With that in mind now that it's out they have nothing to do BUT push it. There's lots of people out there just like me with that same mentality. I'm ready to get back into home console gaming cause I will have the time for it again. But New Super Mario Bros U is not enough.

Lego City Undercover has gotten praise everywhere and is THE 3rd party exclusive on the platform. Know when I will get that game? when games like Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 (both published by? you guessed it...Nintendo) actually drop. Then I'll buy that and New Super Mario as well. When I finally see some stuff on the platform that I would like to actually play beyond 2 games I'll give it my time & money. That will be in the summer time.

E3 is only a week and change away. I expect nothing but first party announcements left and right both from a publishing and developers standpoint. As well as news on the deal they made with SEGA and the exclusives that will come from that and any 3rd party exclusives they will have outside of that.

Info and release date for Bayonetta 2, that new Sonic game as well as new Zelda, Mario Kart, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Metroid, Mario Golf (that one is just wishful thinking on my part), the successor to the Mario Galaxy series & some new IP's etc. When I see what they got lined up I'll be ready to drop my cash on it. I'm not the only person with that mentality. You see it all over the internet. Why am I going to invest in just 1 game right now? I'll wait for a steady stream of software to be coming in guaranteed (aka their 3rd and 4th quarter releases) first.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    @Monizzle14 It's only been 7 months and nobody was asking for a new console especially since there aren't many Nintendo games for it right now. Hell the 360 and PS3 compared to previous gens basically "flopped" if we want to get technical. People are more into mobile gaming than home console gaming in today's world that's just reality. You will see people gaming on a smartphone or tablet before you see them on a PS3 or 360. Hell people don't even buy portable consoles anymore. The market has drastically changed from what we grew up understanding as the norm.

Me myself I have been playing video games since the late 80's yet I never bought a Wii, PS3 or 360. I was cool with playing PSP and Nintendo DS on the train ride home. With that in mind now that it's out they have nothing to do BUT push it. There's lots of people out there just like me with that same mentality. I'm ready to get back into home console gaming cause I will have the time for it again. But New Super Mario Bros U is not enough.

Lego City Undercover has gotten praise everywhere and is THE 3rd party exclusive on the platform. Know when I will get that game? when games like Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 (both published by? you guessed it...Nintendo) actually drop. Then I'll buy that and New Super Mario as well. When I finally see some stuff on the platform that I would like to actually play beyond 2 games I'll give it my time & money. That will be in the summer time.

E3 is only a week and change away. I expect nothing but first party announcements left and right both from a publishing and developers standpoint. As well as news on the deal they made with SEGA and the exclusives that will come from that and any 3rd party exclusives they will have outside of that.

Info and release date for Bayonetta 2, that new Sonic game as well as new Zelda, Mario Kart, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Metroid, Mario Golf (that one is just wishful thinking on my part), the successor to the Mario Galaxy series & some new IP's etc. When I see what they got lined up I'll be ready to drop my cash on it. I'm not the only person with that mentality. You see it all over the internet. Why am I going to invest in just 1 game right now? I'll wait for a steady stream of software to be coming in guaranteed (aka their 3rd and 4th quarter releases) first.

Your first sentence explain why the Wii U will not succeed in this generation. Nobody was asking for a new console. Nintendo should have waited and done more research before launching the system they are locked in on for the next half decade plus.

Yes all these games you speak of will come out but again if i own a wii what features are these wii u games going to have that make me want to blow nearly 400 on a console and $60 on a game? What new practical innovations are worth all that money for basically a small upgrade from the wii. Practical is the key word because all the add ons and use of a tablet don't make something innovative it just makes it too much to do at once.

Just like you said people are all about moble gaming. That doesn't mean they want to use a touchscreen for the smaller amount of time they play a home console though. But it does mean they want something simple inexpensive and fun. This generation console gaming can't be too much like smart phone gaming.

When someone sits down to play call of duty or madden they are going to want raw processing power and advance physics and features. If someone actually gets off twitter and instagram they aren't going to want a wii 1.5 to play cause most of those games are too much like the stuff they could play on their tablet. When you chillen with the homies and you claim you nice at 2k or (insert game here) you not gon wanna whip out the nunchucks. This is what the wii u will struggle with for this gen.
  • Broddie
    edited May 2013
    Options
    My point flew over your head like a hawk in the wilderness.

People that will buy a Nintendo console will buy it for Nintendo games. Then after that any 3rd party games made specifically for the console but the main hook will be first party games and certainly more than just one or two of them at one time.

When the games start coming so will the audience for them. Just because you don't think they will have any innovations or entertainment value that will justify the purchase doesn't mean that they won't have any. You're just not a part of the market for them.

Nobody is buying a Nintendo console to play Call of Duty or Madden. Nobody. That's what the other consoles are for. Do yourself a favor and never look in a Nintendo consoles direction. You'll just be wasting your time.
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell the 360 and PS3 compared to previous gens basically "flopped" if we want to get technical.
    All the other ? aside, how did Microsoft flop this gen? They went from like 25 mil units sold of the real Xbox 1, to over 75 mil with the 360. Sony was dominating the last two gens, and now they are basically equal to Microsoft this gen (and behind Nintendo). That's a complete role-reversal.
  • focus
    Options
    Anyone who believes this...

018_Gohma_EN.jpg

...and this, are the same thing...cannot be taken seriously.

zelda-wii-u.jpg
  • Broddie
    Options
    Hell the 360 and PS3 compared to previous gens basically "flopped" if we want to get technical.
    All the other ? aside, how did Microsoft flop this gen? They went from like 25 mil units sold of the real Xbox 1, to over 75 mil with the 360. Sony was dominating the last two gens, and now they are basically equal to Microsoft this gen (and behind Nintendo). That's a complete role-reversal.

Microsoft had nowhere to go but up.

I'm talking comparatively to other eras this past era hit record low numbers with software and hardware sales on average.
  • focus
    edited May 2013
    Options

I'm talking comparatively to other eras this past era hit record low numbers with software and hardware sales on average.

False. More hardware and software was sold in this gen than any other previous gen. Not sure where you are getting this idea from? Its literally the exact opposite.
  • Broddie
    edited May 2013
    Options

False. More hardware and software was sold in this gen than any other previous gen. Not sure where you are getting this idea from? Its literally the exact opposite.

It took the market leader of the previous 2 gens 6 full years to even catch up to it's main competition this gen. This is the same company that once managed to sell an extra 30 million PSX's after existence of PS2 and 60 million PS2's after the existence of PS3 respectively. That right there shows you a big difference between this era and the previous 3 which were all peaks for the industry. The Playstation brand was very strong going into PS3.

This was the era where video game retail sales reached the lowest recorded lows since records began. You can google that if you'd like. On average since 2006 hardware and software sales have been fluctuating at a rate that they had not in previous gens. There wasn't as much consistency in the long run despite all the Call of Duty and casual Wii game sales.

This is the era that saw Nintendo post their first annual loss in history despite having the hardware and software leader in terms of sales home console wise. Sony software sales kept declining quarterly every year since PS3 finally gained a little momentum which was about 2 years after it's release and industry sales continue to tank to at alarming rates to this day http://finance.yahoo.com/news/video-game-sales-plunge-april-200502524.html

Many people from fans to devs and industry analysts are expecting another video game crash soon with good reasoning. Though I doubt it will go that far I do think it's funny that people are clowning on Nintendo's console for it's lackluster sales this early on because MS and Sony's consoles won't fare any better by their launch at the rate things are going.
  • focus
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Sorry Broddie, its...just not true. Like, at all. Its just a simple fact that more hardware and software was sold this gen than any other gen before it. And that's been true of every subsequent gen. The number of units sold always goes up versus the previous gen. There are a bunch of other factors that cause financial losses. But just in terms raw sales data, more people own dedicated video gaming devices and software than ever before. I'm sure I could prove this, but...really? Is that even needed here? I mean, one company sold 100 million. The other two sold 75 million. This is not even including portables. When has anything like that ever happened before? Hell, this is probably the first generation where we didn't completely lose a video gaming hardware manufacturer altogether.
  • Broddie
    edited May 2013
    Options
    When industry sales have cumulatively dropped over 70% during a 6 year period (a full video game generation) resulting in billions of dollars lost I don't think things are exactly rosy. Frankly in over 20 yrs of following the video game industry I never really seen anything like it. Not on that level. Which is why I totally get all the "another video game crash is incoming/needed" articles and threads around all the video game sites and forums as of late.

Here's an article from one of my finance news book marks from a few months back that actually speaks on the changing market trends a bit

http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx?post=478009a6-cdf7-4707-800f-80ddf837ced0

These blurbs especially stood out to me:

"Smartphones and their apps now account for roughly half of all game downloads, and the number of gamers playing on mobile devices just surpassed the number playing on dedicated consoles, according to market research firm NPD Group."

"Gaming companies respond that console sales always dive when consoles have been on the market for half a decade or more, as Microsoft's (MSFT +2.19%) Xbox 360 and Sony's (SNE -1.38%) PlayStation 3 have and Nintendo's Wii was before its new Wii U was released in November. (Microsoft owns and publishes moneyNOW, an MSN Money site.)

That's true, but usually video game software sales improve as a result. That certainly wasn't the case last year (2012), when NPD says sales of video games (excluding PC titles) fell 26% from 2011 to $1.54 billion. That's still better than the industry's $1.1 billion in console sales, but is the exact opposite of gaming's typical cycle."

• MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    My point flew over your head like a hawk in the wilderness.

People that will buy a Nintendo console will buy it for Nintendo games. Then after that any 3rd party games made specifically for the console but the main hook will be first party games and certainly more than just one or two of them at one time.

When the games start coming so will the audience for them. Just because you don't think they will have any innovations or entertainment value that will justify the purchase doesn't mean that they won't have any. You're just not a part of the market for them.

Nobody is buying a Nintendo console to play Call of Duty or Madden. Nobody. That's what the other consoles are for. Do yourself a favor and never look in a Nintendo consoles direction. You'll just be wasting your time.

My point actually flew over your head. Yes people aren't buying a nintendo console for madden or call of duty and that will be their downfall. The newer generation of gamers aren't getting into nintendo games like previous generations. Most stick to 3rd party titles like madden, COD, etc. They aren't are crazy about Zelda or Mario or the many adventure game series.

If you can't sell a console to the teenage demo like ps4 or xbox one will then your ? for this gen. My previous point was if people are going to step away from their i phone or i pad its going to be for 3rd party games like NBA 2k or COD. Its not going to be to play a limited adventure or story mode in zelda or metroid. That is why nintendo is ? for this gen.
  • Broddie
    edited May 2013
    Options

My point actually flew over your head. Yes people aren't buying a nintendo console for madden or call of duty and that will be their downfall.

It wasn’t their downfall when they were actually not breaking even while selling N64’s and were selling Gamecube’s at a loss while bleeding money. It won’t be their downfall when they’re the only company that could sell hardware at a loss right now and still make a profit.

Once again those titles have NEVER EVER sold Nintendo consoles and they never will so how could that be a factor to their downfall when it’s never even been a factor to their success? That’s pretty ridiculous.
    The newer generation of gamers aren't getting into nintendo games like previous generations. Most stick to 3rd party titles like madden, COD, etc. They aren't are crazy about Zelda or Mario or the many adventure game series.

Yet the biggest demographics for the Wii and now the 3DS have been children aka newer generation of gamers.
    If you can't sell a console to the teenage demo like ps4 or xbox one will then your ? for this gen.

Says who? What facts do you have to actually back this assumption up?
    My previous point was if people are going to step away from their i phone or i pad its going to be for 3rd party games like NBA 2k or COD. Its not going to be to play a limited adventure or story mode in zelda or metroid. That is why nintendo is ? for this gen.

The irony of this point is that casual gamers would be quick to play Mario Kart or a Mario platformer before they ever play something like COD or sports games.

Nintendo is worth over 18 billion and is ONLY a games company. On top of that production costs for an average piece of software on their platform NEVER crosses into the blockbuster movie production range like what happens with software production on other platforms. So money isn't bled left and right on that front either. It's why Nintendo is able to SAVE a title like Bayonetta 2 from extinction while Microsoft and Sony turned it down because they felt they would lose too much on it.

Unlike their peers they're not in debt or feeling the sting in great losses in other divisions like Sony and Microsoft are through other endeavors outside of video games (film production, consumer electronic sales from TV's to phones, operating system sales etc.).

Nintendo could afford to sell only 20 - 30 million worldwide in home console hardware sales for an entire gen and still keep on trucking into another generation. They can do so and have done so in the past because their only business is video games. While Microsoft and Sony can't. The average sales for Zelda games on their platforms is over 6 million while the average sales for the Metroid franchise is over 1 million. They'll be just fine.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options

My point actually flew over your head. Yes people aren't buying a nintendo console for madden or call of duty and that will be their downfall.

It wasn’t their downfall when they were actually not breaking even while selling N64’s and were selling Gamecube’s at a loss while bleeding money. It won’t be their downfall when they’re the only company that could sell hardware at a loss right now and still make a profit.

Once again those titles have NEVER EVER sold Nintendo consoles and they never will so how could that be a factor to their downfall when it’s never even been a factor to their success? That’s pretty ridiculous.
    The newer generation of gamers aren't getting into nintendo games like previous generations. Most stick to 3rd party titles like madden, COD, etc. They aren't are crazy about Zelda or Mario or the many adventure game series.

Yet the biggest demographics for the Wii and now the 3DS have been children aka newer generation of gamers.
    If you can't sell a console to the teenage demo like ps4 or xbox one will then your ? for this gen.

Says who? What facts do you have to actually back this assumption up?
    My previous point was if people are going to step away from their i phone or i pad its going to be for 3rd party games like NBA 2k or COD. Its not going to be to play a limited adventure or story mode in zelda or metroid. That is why nintendo is ? for this gen.

The irony of this point is that casual gamers would be quick to play Mario Kart or a Mario platformer before they ever play something like COD or sports games.

Nintendo is worth over 18 billion and is ONLY a games company.

Unlike their peers they're not in debt or feeling the sting in great losses in other divisions like Sony and Microsoft are through other endeavors outside of video games (film production, consumer electronic sales from TV's to phones, operating system sales etc.). Nintendo could afford to sell only 20 - 30 million worldwide in hardware sales for an entire gen and still keep on trucking into another generation. They can do so and have done so in the past because their only business is video games. While Microsoft and Sony can't. They'll be just fine.

The 3DS is currently losing the battle of getting younger gamers to tablets ipods etc. The DS sold great to that demo but recently may of those kids aren't carrying around a 3DS they are getting tablets and smartphones. Common knowledege for any toy or electronic is trying to get the tween/teenage demo in order to be successful.

Now when you talk about mario kart and possibly mario party the Wii U will have the same issue the ps3 had going head to head with the Ps2 just under 10 years ago. Are people going to play mario kart on the wii u or are they just going to play it on their wii. The same demographics the wii captured (casual gamers/senior citizens in senior homes and kids) will be allot hard to convert to a more expensive yet slightly upgradeable console of the Wii.
  • Broddie
    Options

The 3DS is currently losing the battle of getting younger gamers to tablets ipods etc. The DS sold great to that demo but recently may of those kids aren't carrying around a 3DS they are getting tablets and smartphones. Common knowledege for any toy or electronic is trying to get the tween/teenage demo in order to be successful.

NO DEDICATED GAME CONSOLE is selling on an even playing field with smartphones and tablets. With that said 3DS is the only platform on the market today to see a significant software sales increase (52%) as reported a week ago

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/16/nintendo-3ds-software-sales-up-52-year-on-year-in-us/

So yeah I think the current demo for the 3DS is doing just fine in making the platform successful. Numbers don't lie.
    Now when you talk about mario kart and possibly mario party the Wii U will have the same issue the ps3 had going head to head with the Ps2 just under 10 years ago. Are people going to play mario kart on the wii u or are they just going to play it on their wii. The same demographics the wii captured (casual gamers/senior citizens in senior homes and kids) will be allot hard to convert to a more expensive yet slightly upgradeable console of the Wii.

Keep deluding yourself by going around in circles with such a baseless argument if you'd like.

Even if they lost the casual demographic they gained last gen a significant fragment of the Wii install base is ? gamers who buy Nintendo platforms for their games. The same 20 - 30 million that bought an N64 and Gamecube when everyone else was buying a PSX or PS2 on average. THOSE people WILL play Mario Party and Mario Kart on Wii U for the same reasons they played those games on an N64, Gamecube, Wii, DS and 3DS. It's the latest entry in a franchise they are into.

Your doom and gloom prediction for Nintendo is baseless as their is no real evidence at all (be it sales trends or otherwise) to firmly back it up. As much as some of you want to see Nintendo go the way of SEGA it's never going to happen. Their businesses operate completely different with Nintendo's model actually proving successful for over 3 decades now.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options

NO DEDICATED GAME CONSOLE is selling on an even playing field with smartphones and tablets. With that said 3DS is the only platform on the market today to see a significant software sales increase (52%) as reported a week ago

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/16/nintendo-3ds-software-sales-up-52-year-on-year-in-us/

So yeah I think the current demo for the 3DS is doing just fine in making the platform successful. Numbers don't lie.

Keep deluding yourself by going around in circles with such a baseless argument if you'd like.

Even if they lost the casual demographic they gained last gen a significant fragment of the Wii install base is ? gamers who buy Nintendo platforms for their games. The same 20 - 30 million that bought an N64 and Gamecube when everyone else was buying a PSX or PS2 on average. THOSE people WILL play Mario Party and Mario Kart on Wii U for the same reasons they played those games on an N64, Gamecube, Wii, DS and 3DS. It's the latest entry in a franchise they are into.

Your doom and gloom prediction for Nintendo is baseless as their is no real evidence at all (be it sales trends or otherwise) to firmly back it up. As much as some of you want to see Nintendo go the way of SEGA it's never going to happen. Their businesses operate completely different with Nintendo's model actually proving successful for over 3 decades now.

Lol no need to put ? in all caps it won't help your argument."No console is on the same playing field as a console" but if thats my point is it baseless or wrong?

Is my prediction baseless when this time in the Nintendo Wii's lifespan you still couldn't find a wii system on the shelf. But less than 2 weeks after launch i was in a local store and there were Wii U's in the store? Likewise good luck selling as many games at $60 a pop and yet another round of mario party 300 or mario kart 869.95. People aren't going to keep buying the same game they have been buying for 20 years. And to be fair this continued re released classic for the millionth time is something that will catch up to xbox and sony exclusives in the future as well.

The funniest thing about your post is thinking that Nintendo will never go the way of sega. You can never say never lol. Who knows what might happen in 3 months from now. Actually saying nintendo will never go the way of sega is more outrageous than anything i might have predicted or said in any previous post
  • Broddie
    edited May 2013
    Options

Lol no need to put ? in all caps it won't help your argument."No console is on the same playing field as a console" but if thats my point is it baseless or wrong?

It's just you stating the obvious. I posted this in this very thread earlier.

"Smartphones and their apps now account for roughly half of all game downloads, and the number of gamers playing on mobile devices just surpassed the number playing on dedicated consoles, according to market research firm NPD Group."

It's more of a "no ? Sherlock".

Your actual baseless argument is thinking Nintendo is actually dying. Something you have yet to prove and something that has too much evidence to the contrary to even be proven.
    Is my prediction baseless when this time in the Nintendo Wii's lifespan you still couldn't find a wii system on the shelf. But less than 2 weeks after launch i was in a local store and there were Wii U's in the store?

PS3 went through the same ? . I guess you're going to sit here and tell me that the PS3 died before it's gen ended too? there are consoles sitting in stores because there isn't appealing software to push it. That wasn't the case with the Wii at launch which had enough software to draw the casuals even if it alienated the ? . It was also much more of a novelty back then, people were ready for a new Nintendo home console by that point and the economy was in better shape than it is now (ie: disposable income easier to come by).
    Likewise good luck selling as many games at $60 a pop and yet another round of mario party 300 or mario kart 869.95.

Yet they've managed to sell a million plus copies each time at that type of price range for 3 generations now. Even with the Wii U selling below their predictions they still manage to sell over 2 million copies of a Mario game in 2013 at 60 bucks a pop.
    People aren't going to keep buying the same game they have been buying for 20 years.

Software sales lists say otherwise.
    And to be fair this continued re released classic for the millionth time is something that will catch up to xbox and sony exclusives in the future as well.

Yeah sure it will lmao ? of War and Halo have nothing to worry about anytime soon trust that. Even the slowest selling GoW game (the last one) managed to make it over the 1 million mark within 3 months. While Halo is an industry monster which even at it's most irrelevant (Halo Wars) manages to push the 2 million mark in sales.
    The funniest thing about your post is thinking that Nintendo will never go the way of sega. You can never say never lol. Who knows what might happen in 3 months from now.

Buddy when SEGA went out they were critically in the red and had no other choice. Nintendo is the only video game company in the black right now. Again they are the only company right now selling a piece of hardware at a loss (Wii U) and still making profit.

Their bread and butter is video games unlike their competition and they will do everything it takes to maintain that bottom line. SEGA wasn't the type of company to cut an E3 press conference to save millions of dollars instead and give out the same information to their audience their own way (Nintendo Direct).

They had reckless execs that overthought their role in the video game industry. Something Nintendo doesn't have. People said the same ? you're saying about Nintendo back in 1998 and they said it again in 2003 yet here they are still releasing new hardware.
    Actually saying nintendo will never go the way of sega is more outrageous than anything i might have predicted or said in any previous post

Your claim is outrageous because the business models are night and day and the way Nintendo's business model functions there is no sign of them going out of the hardware business at all. Especially in light of the 3DS now bringing in the dollars they initially expected from that platform. That was not the case with SEGA. So it's just you grasping at straws with no evidence that is proving your argument to be a valid one.

• brown321
    brown321 Members Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm glad Nintendo is doing what they're doing cuz I'd be ? if they were like the other two, but they need to be slapped for releasing the WiiU with another NSMB as the marquee title. This fall is the real launch for me.

Should be a good system from the fall on. Will get a PS4 if that Exclusive Final Fantasy is better than XII or other third parties announce something I must have.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah you really can't knock Nintendo for goin' in the direction they did. Can't really judge the system until its marquee titles come out. Metroid, Zelda and Fire Emblem will probably be the games that highlight what the system can do
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options

It's just you stating the obvious. I posted this in this very thread earlier.

It's more of a "no ? Sherlock".

Your actual baseless argument is thinking Nintendo is actually dying. Something you have yet to prove and something that has too much evidence to the contrary to even be proven.
    Is my prediction baseless when this time in the Nintendo Wii's lifespan you still couldn't find a wii system on the shelf. But less than 2 weeks after launch i was in a local store and there were Wii U's in the store?

PS3 went through the same ? . I guess you're going to sit here and tell me that the PS3 died before it's gen ended too? there are consoles sitting in stores because there isn't appealing software to push it. That wasn't the case with the Wii at launch which had enough software to draw the casuals even if it alienated the ? . It was also much more of a novelty back then, people were ready for a new Nintendo home console by that point and the economy was in better shape than it is now (ie: disposable income easier to come by).
    Likewise good luck selling as many games at $60 a pop and yet another round of mario party 300 or mario kart 869.95.

Yet they've managed to sell a million plus copies each time at that type of price range for 3 generations now. Even with the Wii U selling below their predictions they still manage to sell over 2 million copies of a Mario game in 2013 at 60 bucks a pop.
    People aren't going to keep buying the same game they have been buying for 20 years.

Software sales lists say otherwise.
    And to be fair this continued re released classic for the millionth time is something that will catch up to xbox and sony exclusives in the future as well.

Yeah sure it will lmao ? of War and Halo have nothing to worry about anytime soon trust that. Even the slowest selling GoW game (the last one) managed to make it over the 1 million mark within 3 months. While Halo is an industry monster which even at it's most irrelevant (Halo Wars) manages to push the 2 million mark in sales.
    The funniest thing about your post is thinking that Nintendo will never go the way of sega. You can never say never lol. Who knows what might happen in 3 months from now.

Buddy when SEGA went out they were critically in the red and had no other choice. Nintendo is the only video game company in the black right now. Again they are the only company right now selling a piece of hardware at a loss (Wii U) and still making profit.

Their bread and butter is video games unlike their competition and they will do everything it takes to maintain that bottom line. SEGA wasn't the type of company to cut an E3 press conference to save millions of dollars instead and give out the same information to their audience their own way (Nintendo Direct).

They had reckless execs that overthought their role in the video game industry. Something Nintendo doesn't have. People said the same ? you're saying about Nintendo back in 1998 and they said it again in 2003 yet here they are still releasing new hardware.
    Actually saying nintendo will never go the way of sega is more outrageous than anything i might have predicted or said in any previous post

Your claim is outrageous because the business models are night and day and the way Nintendo's business model functions there is no sign of them going out of the hardware business at all. Especially in light of the 3DS now bringing in the dollars they initially expected from that platform. That was not the case with SEGA. So it's just you grasping at straws with no evidence that is proving your argument to be a valid one.

PS3's at this point in the life cycle were not yet sitting in stores they were still sold out. The sales do say otherwise outside of the Super Mario Bros what other $60 wii u exclusive is selling well lol. Anyone, anyone anyone? And i still stand by the fact that you can never say never. You can't say Nintendo will never be like Sega. After this gen who knows they could be in the red and losing money. Console Video games are going to face an uphill battle in the next couple years and the upcoming decade. Again lmao never say never.