4. Hakeem Olajuwon
    5. Lebron James
    6. Larry Bird
    7. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    8. Tim Duncan
    9. Julius Erving
    10. Charles Barkley

Kobe at number 3?

I think that's just about where he belongs..Kobe was easily the better scorer and defender, but Magic was the better passer, rebounder, and made his team better overall, when you factor in Magic's ability to play all 5 positions on the court I had to give him the edge
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ibex wrote: »
    1. Michael Jordan
    2. Magic Johnson
    3. Kobe Bryant
    4. Hakeem Olajuwon
    5. Lebron James
    6. Larry Bird
    7. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    8. Tim Duncan
    9. Julius Erving
    10. Charles Barkley

Kobe at number 3?

I think that's just about where he belongs..Kobe was easily the better scorer and defender, but Magic was the better passer, rebounder, and made his team better overall, when you factor in Magic's ability to play all 5 positions on the court I had to give him the edge

Kobe in my book is either 9 or 10 nowhere close to top 5 though. You ranked Kobe over Dream, Larry Legend, Lew Alcidor, and The Big Fundamental? Your top 10 has no Shaq or Wilt Chamberlain? Just doesn't add up in my book.
  • Ibex
    Ibex Members Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Michael Jordan
    2. Magic Johnson
    3. Kobe Bryant
    4. Hakeem Olajuwon
    5. Lebron James
    6. Larry Bird
    7. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    8. Tim Duncan
    9. Julius Erving
    10. Charles Barkley

Kobe at number 3?

Kobe in my book is either 9 or 10 nowhere close to top 5 though. You ranked Kobe over Dream, Larry Legend, Lew Alcidor, and The Big Fundamental? Your top 10 has no Shaq or Wilt Chamberlain? Just doesn't add up in my book.

With the exception of Dr. J I based my list on players either being 1 or 2 at their position alltime. Kobe is the 2nd best SG ever and the closest with the same skill set as MJ so I gave him his respect. Shaq was one of the most dominant centers ever but like I said is he the 1st or 2nd best center ever? I don't think so..not over Dream Kareem, Russell, or Wilt. The reason Wilt was left off is this basically when you were as athletically gifted as Wilt was and you were playing in an era with 5"10 whiteboys that couldn't even go left, he should have been even more dominant than he was. There is no excuse why he shouldn't have close to as many rings as Bill Russell, I rank Russell ahead of Wilt for doing what the ? you are suppose to do when you are clearly bigger and more talented than everybody in your league. Only reason I didn't put Russell ahead of the other centers I listed is because Dream and Kareem were more skilled players overall.
  • gman82
    gman82 Members Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jordan
    Hakeem
    Kareem
    Magic
    Shaq
    Bird
    Wilt
    Duncan
    LeBron
    Moses Malone
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    af.r.i.c.a. Members Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    1.Jordan
    2.Kareem
    3.Magic
    4.Russel
    5.Wilt
    6.Kobe
    7.Duncan
    8.Bird
    9.Lebron
    10.Shaq
  • joeyfkncrakk
    joeyfkncrakk Members Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best way I do my top 10 DOA is by imagining that if the NBA ended today who were the top 10 best overall in all areas...

1. Michael Jordan
    2. Kobe Bryant (up until this point, Bron got next tho)
    3. Lebron James (he's top 2 in overall ability rite now regardless of rings, but needs more to get to kobe level imo)
    4. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
    5. Bill Russell (can't deny 11 rings, hell no not the goat tho)
    6. Magic Johnson
    7. Wilt Chamberlain
    8. Tim Duncan
    9. Shaquille O'Neal
    10. Larry Bird
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael Jordan
    Kareem Abdul Jabbar
    Wilt Chamberlain
    Magic Johnson
    Tim Duncan
    Kobe Bryant
    Shaquille O'Neal
    Larry Bird
    Hakeem Olajuwon
    Bill Russell

• Crude_
    Lebron is the most physically gifted player I've probably ever seen but I don't think he's a top 10 ever just yet.

He does have 4 MVP awards and one title but I will have to see him win another title or two before I place him in my top 10.

He's definitely in the top 15 already I wouldn't put him in my top 10 just yet though.

If he keeps playing and wins another title or two and keeps putting up his individual stats he'll undoubtedly be in the top 5-6 players to ever play the game of basketball.
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bryce Drew
    Kelvin Cato
    Matt Maloney
    Otis Thorpe
    Maurice Taylor
    Eddie Johnson
    Von Wafer
    Pete Chilcut
    Matt Bullard
    Chuckie Brown
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its just absolutely hilarious seeing Kobe over Duncan in some of these lists. just no way
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kobe Bryant
    Kareem
    Shaq
    Jordan(?)
    etc.
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its just absolutely hilarious seeing Kobe over Duncan in some of these lists. just no way

Why is that??? kobe won the award for best player of the decade (00-10) for a reason
  • almighty breeze
    blu197 wrote: »

Why is that??? kobe won the award for best player of the decade (00-10) for a reason

that reason is the same reason why the same "Why nobody appreciates the Spurs" & "Why are we counting out San Antonio" articles pop up every year.

• Crude_
    Bryce Drew
    Kelvin Cato
    Matt Maloney
    Otis Thorpe
    Maurice Taylor
    Eddie Johnson
    Von Wafer
    Pete Chilcut
    Matt Bullard
    Chuckie Brown

One of the better high school basketball players I ever seen that ? was a legend down here in my neck of the woods.
  • blu197

that reason is the same reason why the same "Why nobody appreciates the Spurs" & "Why are we counting out San Antonio" articles pop up every year.

Kobe was better than Duncan when they were both in their primes from (00-10) he ? on the spurs in 01 playoffs and 02 playoffs when Shaq was bein outplayed by Tim, he beat the spurs in the WCF in 08, he had scoring performances that will pretty much never be seen again (81,62 in 3qtrs ect) went to the finals 7 times from (00-10).... If you put Duncan>>kobe for whatever reason hey that's your opinion but 2 say its "absolutely hilarious" when ppl say Kobe>>>Duncan is just stupid af and shows your just a kobe hater
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keith closs
    The rights to ? bias
    ? zhi zhi
    The dude tha vince carter dunked on in the olympics
    Sun Yue
    Dan dickau
    Jim Mccilvaine
    Mengke Bateer
    Ronny turiafs braids
    Lawrence funderburke
  • almighty breeze

Kobe was better than Duncan when they were both in their primes from (00-10) he ? on the spurs in 01 playoffs and 02 playoffs when Shaq was bein outplayed by Tim, he beat the spurs in the WCF in 08, he had scoring performances that will pretty much never be seen again (81,62 in 3qtrs ect) went to the finals 7 times from (00-10).... If you put Duncan>>kobe for whatever reason hey that's your opinion but 2 say its "absolutely hilarious" when ppl say Kobe>>>Duncan is just stupid af and shows your just a kobe hater

1.)Better because what- you said so?
    Duncan was better as a rookie. Better at 24-25 (01-03 Duncan, 03-05 Kobe) Not better at 30. Better at 34 than Kobe is. All this while being a PF/C who notoriously age faster. Theres a strong case that 'past prime' Duncan is better if not definitely more important than 'past prime' Kobe. Zach Randolph will answer for u

2) Your 2nd point makes 2 statements that contradict each other- Kobe ? on the "SPURS" in 01 & 02- fine ok lets see where you're goin here "when Shaq was bein outplayed by Tim" sooo basically that proves nothing in a Kobe vs Duncan argument right. ok...further more the Spurs #1 option outplaying the Lakers #1 kinda helps what im sayin right
    3)Why you no bring up 2003??
    4)Scoring 81 & 62 means what. Great game. Players have them. Kobe fans love to just announces this as if it alone catapults Kobe over other greats. Lets move on
    5)you're listing all these useless "stats" like ur the only one who knows them. Telling me Kobe went to the finals 7 times means what. How does that make him better than another great. Theres nothing to what your saying & the ? has nothin to do with Duncan. You're just slurping Kobe basically

You aint backed up nothin you said just randomnly threw the word hater around b/c i didnt bow to you spouting random Kobe feats. Nothin you stated makes Kobe better than Duncan.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No-? -sign. You're slurping Duncan.

Tim Duncan at 34 averaged 13.4 ppg 8.9 rpg 2.7 apg and he was arguably the third best player on his team.
    Kobe Bryant at 34 averaged 27.3 ppg 5.6 rpg 6.0 apg and carried an injured team of underachievers to the playoffs.

Ol boy told you you're entitled to the opinion that Duncan is better than Kobe. He earned that respect. But to say it's absolutely hilarious to think Kobe is greater than Duncan all time when there's plenty of valid reasons to back the statement up it comes off as hating. You could just disagree with the opinion. It's really apples and oranges because they play different positions. So if I talk about how Kobe is a much better scorer than Duncan you can say Duncan is a much better rebounder. You understand what I'm saying?

But in terms of longevity, Kobe is only rivaled by Kareem.
  • buttuh_b
    Also Kobe was greater at 30 as well. Statistically and impact wise.
  • blu197
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    Also Kobe was greater at 30 as well. Statistically and impact wise.

Don't bother with that lame ? bruh, Ali don't know what he talkin about
  • almighty breeze
    edited June 2013
    @blu197
    If u was actually makin a case instead of w/e you called urself doin you'd compare their careers

Duncans been better at pretty much every stage except the Age 30 mark & maybe 34, maybe. What he isnt is a better scorer than Kobe- that+his teams style of play & location has had him overlooked his entire career

5 Finals appearances & has yet to lose ("Kobes been to the finals 7 times" see how useless that is)
    Heres somethin useful- Duncans 4-0 has 3 Finals MVPs to Kobes 2. None of his are iffy or should i say can be seen as iffy as Kobes 2010
    You can also argue Duncan could have the 07 MVP due to his play on both ends. Parker just had a great match up. no knock tho
    Advanced stats- All favor Duncan over the entire course of their career- Win Shares, PER, etc.
    Efficiency- All numbers, metrics & box scores favor Duncan...basketballreference.com is a goodstart
    Leadership- Hahahaha. Lets just skip this

no wait...Hahahaha. ill play.Tim Duncans teams have finished out of the top 4 only once. He has never missed the playoffs & his teams had the #1 seed 5 times to Kobes 4 while Kobe has finished with a bottom 2 seed 4 times..also..no really lets move on

*doesnt mention Shaq*

Duncan has 2 MVPs. Kobe has 1. Kobes one is wayy more controversial and debatable than either of Duncans in the game of "should haves"
    11 1st Teams for both
    3 2nd teams for Duncan. 2 for Kobe
    1 3rd for Duncan. 2 for Kobe

Kobe has 9 First Team all defenses.Duncan has 8. Kobe has 3 2nd Team All Defense. Duncan has 6. Duncans the only person with 14 in NBA history. Zach Randolph is nodding..
    *doesnt mention Shaq*
    oh yea, Kobe won the dunk contest and ?

Unless you think All Star MVPs & Scoring titles are the determining factors. Duncan eclipses Kobe in every relevant facet of Two Top 10 players. i got all my info from hating, you can double check
  • buttuh_b
    I don't understand how 7 finals appearances is useless information but then you list a bunch of writer voted awards. Duncan plays power forward so I would hope that his efficiency is higher than a shooting guard. It's also funny that finals MVPs are so important to you when 2 of the 3 that went to Shaq came in years where Kobe outperformed him in the Conference and semi finals against DUNCAN'S TEAM who was better than the team the Lakers played in the Finals. So all that ? is relative.

I honestly don't give a ? about advanced stats or stats period really for that matter because it doesn't explain the context of the game. Like you mention Duncan's team never finished with a bottom 2 seed but Duncan never played on a team as bad as the Smush Parker Lakers. But you can skew anything to make it look your way. At the end of the day they both have top 5 worthy accomplishments (you're acting like Duncan already has 5 ships but he doesn't).. Now if you wanna argue skill for skill it would be a good argument but like I said it really is apples and oranges. In my opinion, Kobe's play at a high level for such a long period is unmatched. He's literally been a top 5 player in the league for like 13 years. Duncan hasn't been in that conversation for a while now. If you remember the past 3 or 4 years he hadn't been playing at a superstar level and this year was his resurgence year.

Your opinion is your opinion. But again, it's not "absolutely" hilarious to say one is better than the other. I guess I understand your sentiment that Duncan is overlooked so that probably makes you feel like you need to overcompensate. I really have a lot of respect for Duncan's game and career.
  • almighty breeze
    edited June 2013
    you not giving a ? about something makes it unimportant??
    i just listed feats like he did without context. writers awards or not. call that man out. i played his game.

now ur 2nd paragraph is much more interesting for this conversation and when it comes to the GOATs should be the bulk of conversation. The Hows & Whys