Ever Wonder Why There's No UFC At the Garden? Feminists Don't Want It

Options
Maximus Rex
Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2013 in The Social Lounge
New York (along with California,) has to considered the most ? made state in the union. I've always wondered why New York State had this asinine ban on mixed martial arts. Madison Square Garden is considered the "mecca of boxing," has been the site, (along with other venues in the City,) of some of the most epic bouts in history of the sport. So one has to wonder why the most popular combat sport in country has yet to make an appearance. It's because these feminist politicians and ? made male allies in the New York State Assembly believe the following ? :http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20130424/midtown/manhattan-state-lawmakers-link-mixed-martial-arts-domestic-violence

NEW YORK — Lawmakers brawling over whether to allow professional mixed martial arts bouts in New York have started throwing haymakers, implying in both legislation and public comments that cage fights breed domestic violence.

"Due to the violent nature of mixed martial arts and the surprisingly high incidence of unchallenged sexism and misogyny displayed by certain fighters, commentators and other public figures associated with this sport, the prospect of legalization in New York state raises legitimate concerns about the increased exposure of our children to this new and potentially very negative influence," stated a bill introduced Friday by state Sen. Liz Krueger, who represents much of Manhattan's east side.

For the fourth straight year, the Senate passed a measure last month that would allow pro fights. In previous years, it's been defeated in the Assembly.

A concurrent bill is now moving through the Assembly. Krueger's legislation, if approved, would put an 18-month moratorium on MMA and mandate a study of how the sport affects athletes and spectators.

Three Assembly members joined Krueger at a press conference in Albany on Tuesday, along with domestic violence victims and awareness groups and women's rights organizations, who all called on the Assembly to block professional MMA fights from being held in the Empire State.

The groups cited growing research that points toward long-term brain injuries caused by repeated blows to the head, plus some of the ? spectacle inherently associated with MMA bouts — familiar arguments used in years past.

But in this latest round, those opposed to MMA made the fight more personal.

“Our elected leaders should not condone the negative attitudes and beliefs about violence against women that are glorified in professional human cage fighting," Connie Neal, executive director of the New York State Coalition Against Domestic Violence, said in a statement.

She did not return calls and emails seeking elaboration on her comments.

Shaking my muthfuckin' head at the State of New York kowtowing to a bunch of angry feminists and bitchmade males that condoning the further emasculation of this once proud nation.

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    UFC just picked up a women's division not too long ago and it wasn't legal then either...mind explaining that?

Soccer moms hating on violence isn't exactly a rare occurrence.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Them hoes can SUCK MY ? ? MONSTA.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't get what feminists have against men beating the ? out of each other in an octagon. It's not like there are women involved.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wow. This can't be real. I still find this hard to believe. I'm still not understanding what exactly MMA has to do with "beliefs about violence against women." At least if they would've brought up the issue of card girls, that would've made a little more sense (though it would still be ? ). This ? is just ridiculous. I have to look into this more.

Feminists get a bad rap because there are a lot of ? feminists and clueless women who call themselves feminists, but I agree with the general ideology of feminism. But it's ? like this that unfortunately makes all of them, even the great ones, look very bad.
  • Batman.
    Batman. Members Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We have a UFC in Toronto.

NY lost.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I live in NY and I'm ashamed my state has done this....Governor Cuomo is a ? for listening to overly sensitive women, whatever happened to being a man?
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NY is the nanny state of the nation, I can barely recognize NY anymore....