Sony: Vita Remote Play for All PS4 Games

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vita's future just got brighter.

Sony has asked developers to include Remote Play functionality for all PlayStation 4 games, excluding titles that will require the use of the console's stereoscopic camera, the PS4 Eye.

The news comes from a "trusted developer source" speaking to Digital Foundry. And if true, it's a major boost for Sony's handheld which has yet to achieve mainstream success. It would effectively mean the PlayStation 4 could boast similar functionality to Nintendo's Wii U, which touted the off-TV experience of its GamePad as a major selling point of the system. This would be a real boost for the system following on from Sony's recent pledge to bring quality Indie games to the handheld.

Remote Play compresses the PS4's experience and sends it to the Vita over local WiFi. The entire game can then be enjoyed on the handheld. Essentially, the Vita functions as a ? terminal with the PS4 doing all of the heavy-lifting. The technology is similar to that used by streaming services such as OnLive, but the quality is greatly improved by the service functioning on a local network.

Comments

• themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    PS4 Developers Required to Support Vita Remote Play
    Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 | 12:00 BST by Sammy Barker

Platform holder mandating nifty feature

Sony has a track record of announcing impressive features that never get used to their full potential. Remote Play is one such idea that, despite showing some promise, fell to the wayside on the PlayStation Portable and the PlayStation 3. However, the company’s eager to avoid the same issues with the PlayStation Vita and the PlayStation 4, as Digital Foundry reports that the manufacturer is aiming to mandate off-screen play for virtually every title released on its next generation platform.
    The article – citing a proven developer – claims that any PS4 titles not taking advantage of the new PlayStation Eye will be required to include Remote Play support. This, according to the report, will be much improved compared to the compatibility integrated into the PSP and the PS3, as Sony has designed the console with the feature in mind.
    “Remote Play works by downscaling the 1080p frame buffer to the Vita's native 960x544 resolution, using the PS4's in-built hardware h.264 video encoder to compress the image,” the article reads. “This is then beamed out over Wi-Fi to the Vita, which decodes the video and sends back controller inputs to the PS4.”
    While this occupied precious resources on the PS3, there’ll be no performance penalty on the PS4. As such, assuming that this is a relatively simple thing for studios to implement, we reckon that it makes a lot of sense for Sony to mandate the feature. Hopefully it increases the appeal of the handheld, too.
    Update: Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida has now confirmed the report on Twitter
  • kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this honestly is the MAIN reason im buying a ps4.. thats ? is gonna be goat... just wanna know with the back touch pad will be as responsive as it should.. seeing as the vita doesnt have L2 and R2 buttons
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sick. PS4 just become a 100000% must buy.

Vita remote-play mandatory for all PS4 games
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kanggoodie wrote: »
    this honestly is the MAIN reason im buying a ps4.. thats ? is gonna be goat... just wanna know with the back touch pad will be as responsive as it should.. seeing as the vita doesnt have L2 and R2 buttons

it really is for games that need you to use the back touch pad.....
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited May 2013
    Options
    This is old new, bruh. But the concern I have is connectivity issues. Via internet, there's a bit of lag with Remtoe Play as opposed to via netwrok. Regardless this is a +++++++++.
  • kanggoodie
    Options
    ^^ it clearly said over wifi.. not internet... local network only... and @themadlionsfan you must have not understood what i meant.. lets say your playing madden for ps4.. and the speed button is R2.. im saying i hope that the vita responds well by pressing on the right side of the back touch pad to start running faster.
  • KillaCham
    Options
    You really think they're just going to disable remote play over internet altogether?
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    sounds like good news for vita owners. still wouldnt persuade me to go out and purchase one. esp. considering it doesnt have the L2 and R2 buttons. im sure i would have to resort to using the touch pads and i hate using touch. nothing beats analog controls
  • kanggoodie
    Options
    KillaCham wrote: »
    You really think they're just going to disable remote play over internet altogether?

you already cant play online over the 3g.. so yea....

• earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah it's a bit of a pain to use touchpad for L2 and R2. Not impossible though
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ounceman wrote: »
    sounds like good news for vita owners. still wouldnt persuade me to go out and purchase one. esp. considering it doesnt have the L2 and R2 buttons. im sure i would have to resort to using the touch pads and i hate using touch. nothing beats analog controls

It does not need R2 and L2 as the games are designed appropriately and thee touch screen works great for certain things. It has two analogs so you will still have that. I am not a fan of touch with games either, but the Vita works perfectly.
  • [Trillmatic]
    [Trillmatic] Members Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nice, i'll finally get use out of my vita when not vacationing.
  • kanggoodie
    edited May 2013
    Options
    @ragingraven i have a vita dude... i know how it works.. he meant for use for ps4.. not vita games . but i didnt think of the fact that they might include the L2/R2 buttons on-screen, but that might get in the way of ? too...
  • KillaCham
    Options
    kanggoodie wrote: »
    KillaCham wrote: »

you already cant play online over the 3g.. so yea....
    Not everyone plays online.