"Wii U Has a Lot of Power to Unleash, Power for Years to Come, Wii U GPU is Several Gens Ahead"

13»

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a PC gamer and I don't know any. I'm just pointing out that its a bit unwise to believe that the advent of mobile technology will affect something that isn't really impacted at all by mobile technology.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    I think you're mixing two concepts up.

Popular PC usage being replaced by smart phones and tablets doesn't really have any bearing on the PC gaming market. People who buy their PCs specifically for gaming purposes won't stop doing that just because they can do everything else on a tablet.

Thank you.

I still can't get over how dense this guy sounds. It's getting much more affordable and easier to build rigs that leave the current gen consoles in dust before eventual upgrades. Especially in light of $500 console prices. I don't even game on PC's but lmao @ two developers also developing for consoles meaning the ending of PC gaming. A market that generates billions in revenue every freaking year. Last year alone PC software sales hit a record 20 billion dollars in revenue.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broddie wrote: »

Popular PC usage being replaced by smart phones and tablets doesn't really have any bearing on the PC gaming market. People who buy their PCs specifically for gaming purposes won't stop doing that just because they can do everything else on a tablet.

Thank you.

I still can't get over how dense this guy sounds. It's getting much more affordable and easier to build rigs that leave the current gen consoles in dust before eventual upgrades. Especially in light of $500 console prices. I don't even game on PC's but lmao @ two developers also developing for consoles meaning the ending of PC gaming. A market that generates billions in revenue every freaking year. Last year alone PC software sales hit a record 20 billion dollars in revenue.

how much does it cost to maintain and upgrade a PC?
  • Broddie
    edited June 2013

Thank you.

how much does it cost to maintain and upgrade a PC?

You could have a good basic rig that could run most games for years before upgrades from $400 to $600 easily today if you know what you're doing. Upgrades depends on the components people will want to use. Either way people who make such an investment are ready to spend over a stack in the long run. They obviously got the time and money to research and make the right choices towards their investment. Not drop money on one item and call it a day like console gamers.

It's a pretty different market but it makes a lot of money for the game industry in terms of software sales. I know people perfectly content with PC gaming who haven't bought a console since PS2. They mostly like MMORPGs and other online multiplayer games above other genres. They build gaming computers themselves and sell them on average for about $500.
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't met a single PC only gamer in my life. They're rare very rare and you think those few are going to save PC gaming. In 20 yrs PC gaming will be dead.

You're flat out lying to yourself if you think PC gaming is going to be around in 20 yrs the developers will say the same thing and most of the mmorpgs that these PC gamers play can be played on consoles and don't utilize what makes a pC special THATs what's funny.
  • BlackxChild
    I'm telling you PC gaming is going to die just bc it is not bc I'm arguing with you. Kids will grow up without PCs in their home its going to die. Most developers are putting more work into consoles than they are into PC.

Mmorpgs are going to consoles. Once I got a 360 I stopped playing PC games that's really when PC gaming started to take a dive.
  • Broddie
    edited June 2013
    With all due respect my ? you talk out of your ass way too much. You haven't ever met a PC gamer so they must not exist since I guess the world revolves around BlackxChild or something.

You know those "few" you mentioned? they were enough to give PC software sales a 20 BILLION DOLLAR revenue stream in just ONE year. Do you have any idea the amount of people it will take to make that much revenue in a year? millions upon millions. On top of that the PC software market is actually growing worldwide in terms of sales (8% increase last year from the previous year) and not dwindling like the console software market is (22% decrease last year from the previous year).

Some excerpts from an article on the PC software market from 2 months ago:

"Despite the explosive presence of mobile, the PC market is growing. A new report by the non-profit organization PC Gaming Alliance indicates an 8 percent global increase year-over-year of PC software sales."

"Every geographical segment it tracked showed healthy improvement, especially in China, which contributed $6.8 billion in global revenue."

"The report confirms 1 billion PC gamers worldwide. About 25 percent are "core" players interested in strategy, action, and role-playing games. Globally, the PC Gaming Alliance expects the PC game industry to hit $25.7 billion in sales by 2016."

http://www.gamezone.com/news/2013/03/28/pc-software-sales-increasing-in-china-and-worldwide

In addition here's a chart from NVIDIA predicting PC software VS. console annual sales based on market trends from 2011

pc-gaming-sales-growing.png

Notice how close the actual PC software sales number (20 billion) from 2012 was to their prediction (about 18 billion) compared to actual console software sales figures (14.8 billion) and their console software sales prediction (about 23 billion) in the end?

I reckon that this is evidence that market analysts may know what they're talking about in these situations and guess what? no media analyst sees PC gaming dying in 20 years time. The way the market is shifting and trends are going it's the opposite. More growth within the PC gamer market is forseen for many years to come. Also a lot of the titles dedicated PC gamers often play NEVER EVER make it to console (ie: World of Warcraft, Minecraft). For future reference please know what you're actually talking about when you try to debate something.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't __________ in my life.

This is never a talking point.
  • BlackxChild
    With all due respect my ? you talk out of your ass way too much. You haven't ever met a PC gamer so they must not exist since I guess the world revolves around BlackxChild or something.

You know those "few" you mentioned? they were enough to give PC software sales a 20 BILLION DOLLAR revenue stream in just ONE year. Do you have any idea the amount of people it will take to make that much revenue in a year? millions upon millions. On top of that the PC software market is actually growing worldwide in terms of sales (8% increase last year from the previous year) and not dwindling like the console software market is (22% decrease last year from the previous year).

Some excerpts from an article on the PC software market from 2 months ago:

"Despite the explosive presence of mobile, the PC market is growing. A new report by the non-profit organization PC Gaming Alliance indicates an 8 percent global increase year-over-year of PC software sales."

"Every geographical segment it tracked showed healthy improvement, especially in China, which contributed $6.8 billion in global revenue."

"The report confirms 1 billion PC gamers worldwide. About 25 percent are "core" players interested in strategy, action, and role-playing games. Globally, the PC Gaming Alliance expects the PC game industry to hit $25.7 billion in sales by 2016."

http://www.gamezone.com/news/2013/03/28/pc-software-sales-increasing-in-china-and-worldwide

In addition here's a chart from NVIDIA predicting PC software VS. console annual sales based on market trends from 2011

pc-gaming-sales-growing.png

Notice how close the actual PC software sales number (20 billion) from 2012 was to their prediction (about 18 billion) compared to actual console software sales figures (14.8 billion) and their console software sales prediction (about 23 billion) in the end?

I reckon that this is evidence that market analysts may know what they're talking about in these situations and guess what? no media analyst sees PC gaming dying in 20 years time. The way the market is shifting and trends are going it's the opposite. More growth within the PC gamer market is forseen for many years to come. Also a lot of the titles dedicated PC gamers often play NEVER EVER make it to console (ie: World of Warcraft, Minecraft). For future reference please know what you're actually talking about when you try to debate something.

WOW can be made on a console and still looks like a PSOne game that's what I don't understand. I've only hung out with 4-5 PC gamers most of them tend to lean towards consoles all of them said they where going to be pC only but never go that way.

Most of the games my friends play don't even look good their just fun games which can be done on consoles.

I'm not speaking out of my ass Im talking about things based off where I work and what I've heard from others. Cell phones companies will eventually take over in alot of aspects in the home look at how all the cell companies are now going to home alarm and how they are utilizing tablets. Actual PC sales are dropping. I think they've dropped by 15% this yr. if you don't think that's going to effect the youth and the direction they go towards gaming you're nuts.

Look at where PC developers are going... To consoles....

• Broddie
    edited June 2013
    I work in consumer electronics. PC hardware sales have been sagging for decades since the 90's. Yet PC is still the standard not Macs or anything else over 20 years later. Yes mobile devices are growing but they're not going to eclipse PC usage overall because they're not always used for the same things. This includes PC gaming. There is more going on with PC games then just graphics. Great processing power is needed for much more than just that and mobile devices are not on the level where they could give you an equal experience in that regard at all.
  • BlackxChild
    I work in consumer electronics. PC hardware sales have been sagging for decades since the 90's. Yet PC is still the standard not Macs or anything else over 20 years later. Yes mobile devices are growing but they're not going to eclipse PC usage overall because they're not always used for the same things. This includes PC gaming. There is more going on with PC games then just graphics. Great processing power is needed for much more than just that and mobile devices are not on the level where they could give you an equal experience in that regard at all.

But look at schools now my sister went to one of the top highschools Allen highschool with that 70million dollar football stadium and that school is taking PCs out and are going towards Macs so when my sister now that she's going to Spelman she's a step ahead of anybody bc they use Macs for their newspaper.

Microsoft is really Fing up with all these new ? versions of windows that no one wants. My thing is eventually gaming will completely go to consoles and tablets will be used for presentations apps and all that. Their will still be PCs but I think they may be business specific.

I could always be wrong I just think its an interesting argument I think the future of technology and where it's headed is interesting.
  • Broddie
    edited June 2013
    End of the day Macs are Personal Computers. What you're seeing is PC's being replaced by PC's not PC's being replaced by mobile devices. Furthermore Mac's are so expensive because they're media PC's which makes them key for media platforms including *drum roll please* gaming & game designing. There will always be a place for PC's because of the reliability factor you can't get from mobile devices.

Try using a tablet as a dedicated domain controller for example as opposed to using a PC. Most business will have networks crashing on them all the freaking time if that was the case resulting in huge losses revenue and information wise.

Since PC's will go nowhere anytime soon PC gaming by proxy will not die. It's too distinctive enough a market from console gaming that it's not possible. Surpassing it in terms of revenue this past year. They don't cater to the same audiences. You can't expect people to drop PC gaming & simply shift to console gaming. They're into PC gaming in the first place because console gaming does NOT interest them.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't this a Wii U thread though?
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it stopped being a wii u thread a page ago, but Ill start it up.

will those basic sets go down in price now?
  • Broddie
    Well the rumor is that since the basic model is being recalled within the next few weeks we'll hear of a price drop. Probably even today. I'm guessing it will go down to $199 for the basic set up with a bundle for the holiday season with 3D Mario or something else going for about $249.99

That's just my assumption though.
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a PC gamer and its Def not cheap to build a decent rig...but Def worth it... Some games just don't transition the same on consoles