Movie Theaters Asking For Shorter Trailers & Less Marketing

Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
Should Movie Trailers Be Shorter?Exhibitors are seeking to boost ticket sales with new marketing proposals.
by Scott Collura
May 29, 2013

The National Association of Theater Owners wants to make movie trailers shorter. The group is pushing for new rules that would limit the length of trailers to two minutes, making them 30 seconds shorter than the current standard.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, exhibitors want more control over how movies are marketed inside their theaters. "Theater owners, who feel the brunt of complaints from the public, believe trailers are often too long and can give away too much of the plot," says the trade.

The exhibitors think that cutting the length of trailers could increase ticket sales. But the Hollywood studios disagree that a two-and-a-half minute trailer is too long. The trade paper's sources say the studios "have reacted none too well when briefed on NATO's plan in recent days."

The studios currently follow the voluntary guidelines established by the MPAA that keeps trailers at 2.5 minutes, though each company is allowed one exception a year with a single, longer trailer.

Meanwhile, NATO is considering some other new rules too, including holding off on marketing a film until four months before release (with some exceptions). This is presumably meant to keep audiences from burning out on a project before it's released while also allowing exhibitors to better push the films that are currently in theaters.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/29/should-movie-trailers-be-shorter

I cosign this movement. ? has gotten ridiculous.

Comments

• loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nah ? that those long trailers help when you're still getting in your car 5 mins before showtime
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't watch action movie trailers because that's always the ending or near ending of the movie. Hell, I watched Fast 6 last night and felt like I was watching a rerun at the end of the movie. Plot driven movies, however, random-ass dialogue doesn't ruin ? because we hear so many words in a day that we'd be hard pressed to walk into a movie and be like, "Yoooooo, I heard dude say that ? three months ago."

Universal change: Nah.
  • sapo614
    sapo614 Members Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sometimes the trailers are better then the movie
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    trailers sell the movies with the intensity and music...then the movie comes out an it be some ? .

i never forget...i was hyped to see clash of the titans off the trailer....? said release the kraken and the next scene was the kraken bodying ? ....

movie came out...i was really disappointed