Who do you think has a better catalog: Jay-Z or Kanye?

Options

Comments

• FyHunnit
    FyHunnit Members, Writer Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Yeezy
    I'm going with Ye', because he got classics on the Blueprint too.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Jay
    To me, Jay was a victim of bad production. Some artist get too much credit because they have dope beats but aren't good lyricist. Jay's beats weren't on par with his skills on a couple of his early albums.
    Ear2DaSt wrote: »
    Yeezy hands down..

*Sees poll results*

tumblr_lttgmucXLC1qzr7woo1_400.gif
  • S2J
    Options
    Jay
    you know what...i wont even trip until i see anyone over age 25 say Yeezy. Please come forward.

The rest of yall honestly i dont fault you. Ya'll dont know any better. The bar for your era is so low LYRICALLY.

B/c Jay-z LYRICALLY from 96-2004 is why this is no contest.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    s2jepeka wrote: »
    you know what...i wont even trip until i see anyone over age 25 say Yeezy. Please come forward.

The rest of yall honestly i dont fault you. Ya'll dont know any better. The bar for your era is so low LYRICALLY.

Yeah. I mean I won't vote due to being very unfamiliar with Kanye's albums on account of them never appealing to me. So it wouldn't be a fair vote. But has Kanye ever made a song with the lyrical dexterity and/or introspection of songs like D'Evils, Bring It On, Can I Live, Wishing on A Star, Lucky Me and In My Lifetime? has he ever made anything as lyrically witty as Imaginary Player, Friend or Foe I & 2, Cashmere Thoughts, Threat, Lucifer and Girls, Girls, Girls? somehow I doubt it.

• Lebong James
    Lebong James Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeezy
    this question is laughable
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay
    reasonable doubt, blueprint, black album (commercial), american gangsta, vol 1,2,3 all ? on anything kanye has ever released

lets just be honest here ppl
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeezy

jay-z is my favorite rappet and im saying kanye has the better catalog

kanye has 5 solo albums. jay has 11. you take jays 5 best albums out of the picture and you still have 6 albums that are filled with great, okay, and terrible songs. those can't be ignored
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeezy
    I'm a big jay-z fan and still believe kanye has a better catalog.
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay

kanye has 5 solo albums. jay has 11. you take jays 5 best albums out of the picture and you still have 6 albums that are filled with great, okay, and terrible songs. those can't be ignored

yeah but u put jayz 5 best next to kanyes catalogue and jayz wins hands down.....plus the left out stuff has enough great material to make 2 other amazing albums if pieced together

plus you can take kanye's last two flops and put them next to jayz's biggest flops and i still think jayz wins the battle there too...kingdom come > 808's...and everything is better than mbdtf
  • S2J
    Options
    Jay
    Broddie wrote: »

Yeah. I mean I won't vote due to being very unfamiliar with Kanye's albums on account of them never appealing to me. So it wouldn't be a fair vote. But has Kanye ever made a song with the lyrical dexterity and/or introspection of songs like D'Evils, Bring It On, Can I Live, Wishing on A Star, Lucky Me and In My Lifetime? has he ever made anything as lyrically witty as Imaginary Player, Friend or Foe I & 2, Cashmere Thoughts, Threat, Lucifer and Girls, Girls, Girls? somehow I doubt it.

Dawg, forget about it! Kanye wants no parts of that guy.

But inb4 Gold Digger, Roses, and School Spirit are Kanye's lyrical jewels...
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay
    Sometimes I feel like Kanye's catalog is overstated. Like all his albums are THAT amazing to y'all? I just don't hear it. Personally, I think he has 1 classic, 2 great albums, a good one and an average one. Basically 3 albums with pretty good replay value.

Meanwhile Jay has 2 classics, 2 or 3 great albums, a lot of good ? and 2 or 3 duds. I find myself listening to Jay's catalog way more than Kanye even though Kanye's albums get more burn from me when they first drop.
  • S2J
    Options
    Jay

Lol And you would do thisss....why?

• Lebong James
    Options
    Yeezy
    Is the question who is the better lyricist? Catalog right? Kanye makes better music than jay, period
  • buttuh_b
    Options
    Jay
    Is the question who is the better lyricist? Catalog right? Kanye makes better music than jay, period

Lyrics aren't part of the music?

Like someone stated earlier. Sometimes Kanye's lyrics and delivery be so corny it can be unbearable.

Ironically, I think the production Ye laced Jay with on The Blueprint is musically better than anything he gave himself besides some ? on Late Registration.
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Yeezy
    Broddie wrote: »

Ye songs aren't as lyrical as jays but they have way more heart and soul , like Heard em say,through the wire,homecoming,the glory,touch the sky,diamonds,we don't care,family business,spaceships,Jesus walks ect ect.... Jays songs are cool but his ? is jus repetitive especially his old stuff which ppl claim is his best ? , it's jus nothin but clever but random lyrics on wack beats and his days about slangin
  • Already Home_17
    Options
    Yeezy
    bck145 wrote: »

yeah but u put jayz 5 best next to kanyes catalogue and jayz wins hands down.....plus the left out stuff has enough great material to make 2 other amazing albums if pieced together

plus you can take kanye's last two flops and put them next to jayz's biggest flops and i still think jayz wins the battle there too...kingdom come > 808's...and everything is better than mbdtf

I agree but the fact is that's not the case. the dope music that was on BP2 gets overshadowed by the wack ? . same thing with bp3, kingdom come, vol. 3, dynasty. why praise the sugar and act like the ? doesn't exist when they're on the same album?

you're speaking on what it could have been. I'm speaking on what it is
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeezy
    Yeezy sucks!
  • S2J
    Options
    Jay

Freudian slip: "Makes" is present tense. Yall just cant get the current 'Euro Jay' out of your head. His career did not start w/ Blueprint.

Go dig in them e-crates and listen to RD, Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Dynasty...and ya'll REALLY need to re-listen to Blueprint.
  • buttuh_b
    Options
    Jay
    Word yall know how much I think current Jay is utter trash but we're talking about catalogs.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah I can't listen to Jay-Z at all today. Blueprint 3 was terrible and a colossal decline from American Gangster and I will never bother with Watch The Throne but Jigga's peak is undeniable.
  • Lebong James
    Options
    Yeezy

Freudian slip: "Makes" is present tense. Yall just cant get the current 'Euro Jay' out of your head. His career did not start w/ Blueprint.

Go dig in them e-crates and listen to RD, Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Dynasty...and ya'll REALLY need to re-listen to Blueprint.

RD, Blueprint 1+2+Black Album were good albums, not many skippable tracks...but id take Late Registration over any of em eaasillly...Grad too
  • Lebong James
    Options
    Yeezy
    im actually surprised kanye has the lead in this site
  • Already Home_17
    Options
    Yeezy

Lol And you would do thisss....why?

I feel kanye has the better catalog
    comparing his 5 albums to jays 5 best albums would be a better argument
    including jays fair share of duds doesn't help him very much imo
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Jay
    this question is laughable

Whats laughable is that Ye is winning this pole with 5 less albums lol smh
  • S2J
    Options
    Jay

RD, Blueprint 1+2+Black Album were good albums, not many skippable tracks...but id take Late Registration over any of em eaasillly...Grad too

Late Reg> RD & Blueprint?

Graduation better than RD, BP, and Black Album?

shaq-laughing-o.gif