Who do you think has a better catalog: Jay-Z or Kanye?

Options

Comments

• CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay
    Mrslim1 wrote: »
    Better Rapper Jay , Better Artist Kanye . 1. Jay-Z catalogue is only half as good without Kanye. Kanye may have added 15 years to Jay's career

What the hell is wrong with some of you ? , acting like Kanye has guided Jay's career since The Blueprint or some ? .
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay
    Mrslim1 wrote: »
    Better Rapper Jay , Better Artist Kanye . 1. Jay-Z catalogue is only half as good without Kanye. Kanye may have added 15 years to Jay's career

since kanye came into the picture jayz has went downhill....just an fyi....blueprint comes out and jayz progressively get worse...with the exception of american gangsta and thats still just a decent album, nothing all that wonderful about it
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeezy
    June 18th kanye is going to show why he stands head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to putting together albums.
    kanye5.gif
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay
    s2jepeka wrote: »
    Is the question who is the better lyricist? Catalog right? Kanye makes better music than jay, period

Freudian slip: "Makes" is present tense. Yall just cant get the current 'Euro Jay' out of your head. His career did not start w/ Blueprint.

Go dig in them e-crates and listen to RD, Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Dynasty...and ya'll REALLY need to re-listen to Blueprint.

RD, Blueprint 1+2+Black Album were good albums, not many skippable tracks...but id take Late Registration over any of em eaasillly...Grad too

Late Reg> RD & Blueprint?

Graduation better than RD, BP, and Black Album?

shaq-laughing-o.gif

tumblr_m9h5fvFZLV1qe0pab.gif

throw in MBDTF too...it just sounds better, not saying Jay isnt much better lyrically and flow wise, i just think kanye's music sounds better..its ? u can listen to in any situation..jay, not so much

7...people...co-signed this.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tie
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    June 18th kanye is going to show why he stands head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to putting together albums.
    kanye5.gif

but even as a kanye fan who are you to say its an auto classic. We still need to see how this album is after a leak or the actual album comes out. I hate when people say well this album is going to be dope before hearing most or all the album. We have only heard new slaves and to me that track isn't classic material. We will see but we can't assume its auto classic. Word to jays 2nd half of albums many people thought Kindom Come and some of the last 2 blueprints would be better than they were based off previous work.
  • CoolJoe
    Options
    Jay
    And how the hell is Kanye a better "artist"?
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Jay
    you know what...i wont even trip until i see anyone over age 25 say Yeezy. Please come forward.

The rest of yall honestly i dont fault you. Ya'll dont know any better. The bar for your era is so low LYRICALLY.

B/c Jay-z LYRICALLY from 96-2004 is why this is no contest.

lmao, so its impossible for people who's under 25 to hear RD, Vol. 1, Streets Is Watching etc?
    try not catching feelins

What I'm sayin is I'll bet money that the majority of this 'Kanye> Jay-z' army = 25 n under cats.

Its similar to how there's ACTUALLY a faction of youngins that think Kobe > Jordan. Its just young ngga ? . Yall might have the numbers in this thread, but go to your local barbershop w/ this argument. Lemme know how it go
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay
    does kanye's catalog get an asterisk because he used ghost writers
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeezy
    Lol wtf with this 25 & over ?

I'm a huge jay fan and a huge Ye fan I just like ye's catalog more.

What's the problem?

Nobody said Kanye a better rapper, he just makes better albums/music.
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeezy
    CJ wrote: »
    Lol wtf with this 25 & over ?

I'm a huge jay fan and a huge Ye fan I just like ye's catalog more.

What's the problem?

Nobody said Kanye a better rapper, he just makes better albums/music.

Why don't these ? ? understand that kanye makes better MUSIC than Jay z which makes him a better ARTIST,..... Musically Ye ? on Jay, with tracks like Runaway Love,Power,Blame Game,Dark Fantasy.... and Kanye vision for music is light years ahead of Jay, you can jus tell that from Ye's music videos and album themes
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeezy
    Kanye is more innovative and I think that's what results in him getting more play from me. When I listen to a lot of kanye joints I feel like i'm taking a break from the normal hip hop programming.
  • CoolJoe
    Options
    Jay
    As far as rapping goes, Kanye isn't remotely close to Jay in any category, but somehow he's the better "Rap Artist", because he is a rapper at the end of the day, makes a lot of sense.
  • just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeezy
    does kanye's catalog get an asterisk because he used ghost writers

should Jay Z's too?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqScH2CfYTg
  • just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeezy
    you know what...i wont even trip until i see anyone over age 25 say Yeezy. Please come forward.

The rest of yall honestly i dont fault you. Ya'll dont know any better. The bar for your era is so low LYRICALLY.

B/c Jay-z LYRICALLY from 96-2004 is why this is no contest.

lmao, so its impossible for people who's under 25 to hear RD, Vol. 1, Streets Is Watching etc?
    try not catching feelins

What I'm sayin is I'll bet money that the majority of this 'Kanye> Jay-z' army = 25 n under cats.

Its similar to how there's ACTUALLY a faction of youngins that think Kobe > Jordan. Its just young ngga ? . Yall might have the numbers in this thread, but go to your local barbershop w/ this argument. Lemme know how it go

im under 25
    i think Jordan > Lebron > Kobe
    Kanye's catalog > Jay's catalog.
    Jay's a better rapper, but he has a few weak or mediocre albums, Kanye has no mediocre albums (or probably he does, i forgot about Cruel Summer, still that'd be just one)
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeezy
    since 2009 Kanye has been a better rapper than Jay z, that ? jay doesn't even rap no more dude jus be talkin/bragin on tracks now... Kanye carried this man pretty much on every track on WTT
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay
    Percentage wise, Kanye's catalog is stronger because Jay's catalog is twice as long. But if we're talking real numbers, Jay has more good albums as well as more lackluster albums than Kanye. And with that being said, there are still bright spots to be found on Jay's weaker albums, which still propells him ahead of Kanye.

Also, Jay has done more than Kanye with less musical talent. I'm sure they both have a team around them to formulate subject matter, themes, sound, etc but Kanye plays a big part in the production and instrumentation of his albums, whereas Jay meets whatever super producers and picks the beats he likes and starts rapping (in a nutshell).

I wouldn't be able to chose between either of their best 3 albums, but I vote Jay because he simply has MORE good albums than Kanye. That's not taking anything away from Kanye. That's like asking who has a better catalog Tupac or Kendrick Lamar...
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeezy
    I can listen to every KanYe album without feeling bored even though I like some more than the others .. . As a solo artiste he hasn't put a foot wrong, hardly

I can't say the same for Jigg.. matter of fact I can't remember the very last time I listened to an album of his straight out. Dude fell the ? off after The Black Album IMO. Prolly shoulda stayed 'retired' .. .

KanYe did an album with Jigg and I consider it the worst in 'Ye's catalogue .. .
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeezy
    ? in here as usual yapping a whole lotta ? and possibly in warrior/defense mode when the thread title was:

Who do you think has a better catalog: Jay-Z or Kanye?
  • Confidential Playa
    Confidential Playa Members Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay
    After college dropout i felt kanye went emo on me.
  • CoolJoe
    Options
  • Jeremyiahest83
    Jeremyiahest83 Members Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeezy
    blu197 wrote: »
    since 2009 Kanye has been a better rapper than Jay z, that ? jay doesn't even rap no more dude jus be talkin/bragin on tracks now... Kanye carried this man pretty much on every track on WTT

I always thought WTT sounded more like a Ye album.
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    OGClarenceBoddicker Members Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay
    Yall ? trippin, Jay got songs better than Kanye catalog
  • Jeremyiahest83
    Jeremyiahest83 Members Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeezy
    SwampNigga wrote: »
    Yall ? trippin, Jay got songs better than Kanye catalog

Name'em!
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeezy
    Kanye is not better than Jay lyrically.
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay
    i dont understand how this question can even be framed. Kanye has a great catalogue but we (hip hop heads & explorers of the culture) always had the understanding there were pitfalls

its now well known that Kanye has had a fair collection of people helping his writing. When we compare catalogues this has to count.
    its now also known that Kanye has help & outside producers- So one of his main strengths & advantages in the catalogue argument has to be taken down a notch b/c he's operatin as strictly a rapper in some cases

So at any point Kanye can/will have 4-5 people helping him with lyrics & his beats. While Jay walks in the studio with his brain & Guru. How is this not accounted for?

Ye's 1st two albums esp. CD were heavily checked for for his production and to see what angle he would take songwriting wise. meaning he was given an AUTOMATIC PASS ON LYRICS. even Dre doesnt get that same type of pardon b/c we expect nothing from him as we know other people penned it. So to argue "better" in the Hip Hop especially MC aspect is dishonest.
    Jay-Z does not have the luxury of under delivering and half assing his lyrics and experimenting. He HAS to come with it. Jay's every bar is examined & scrutinized. And he will & does catch flack if he does not perform lyrically and conceptually

Kanyes allowed to make noises, mumble, drag out bars, say senseless things and just spit generally wack ? but b/c he's an 'artiste' & we're generally looking for the overall song we ignore it.
    see the contrast on ? like Forever (Remix) or ? In Paris. Jay could never. One is an MC executing. the other is a producer experimenting with songs thru rap