I'm not a big NBA fan, so I'm wondering what other people see in it.

Options

Comments

• bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    coop9889 wrote: »
    Lmao ? please

At the time, no one truly gave the Ravens a shot to get to the superbowl. They ended the season playing badly, losing 4 of their last 5 games.

The broncos entered the playoffs having won 11 straight and the Pats had won 9 of their last 10.

Quit with the revisionist history. The Ravens UPSET the Broncos, and UPSET the Pats.

no revisionist history. it's knowing football. peyton is worse during the playoffs. Ravens are a problem to the Pats. Ravens are a good playoff team.
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    i agree they were upsets. but not flukes.
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fair enough.

Upsets. Flukes. Thin line.
  • TheIraq
    TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ask Laker fans if they expected their season to go like this..........................................
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    Fair enough.

Upsets. Flukes. Thin line.

nah. flukes are 1/100. ravens could have repeated those wins a lot of the time. cards beating pats was a fluke
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Do I gotta drop the same 4 teams in the AFC made it to the Superbowl since 2000
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nba has had 8 teams win in the last 25 years.
    Bulls-6
    Rockets-2
    Lakers-6
    spurs-4
    detroit-3
    miami-2
    boston-1
    dallas-1
  • bow to royalty
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Do I gotta drop the same 4 teams in the AFC made it to the Superbowl since 2000

5 (not 4. Titans, Patriots, Ravens, Steelers, Colts) teams from the AFC have made it. The NBA has had 4 teams come out the west since 2000, and 6 champions. NBA has had 12 teams get in since 2000 (NFL 15), NFL 9 champions, NBA 6. Soo....?
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    An NBA team is the only pro-sports team in my hometown. When we play well, it brings everyone in Memphis together. Memphis is a basketball town, and everyone loves a sense of shared glory when their team is doing well.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    NBA could definitely use some parity, but the game of basketball in general just doesn't have "team" appeal.

Which is why Spurs games are like televised Nyquil for nikkas.

When football fans watch football - you can hardly see the player's faces, and there are 22 players on the field at all times, and no one player can really shine without his teammates around him doing their jobs too.

Basketball, honestly, is a ? -send for Stans. A b-ball player (especiall a ball-handling PG, SG, or SF) can go an entire possession without even looking at his teammates (*cough* - kobe - *cough*) and Stans love that ? .

To be honest, if the Thunder didn't exist and considering all the injuries, flopping, David Stern button pushing, officiating, etc --- I probably would've watch only 3 or 4 games this year in the playoffs, and maybe one game a week during the season.

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    Whole lotta people catchin feelings over this question. The league doesn't have enough competition at the top. The league is pretty predictable. People admit they don't really watch the regular season. The all-star game gets better ratings than some of the playoff series. So apparently a lot of people don't really mess with the NBA that much. So I was just asking what draws you to the NBA? The playoffs are watered down. The regular season is drawn out and a lot of people (even fans) don't have much interest in it. About 40% of the playoff series aren't competitive. People are gettin mad, but not saying I'm wrong
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I'm at work so I'll keep this post short and add later. But I only halfway agree with the best of 7 vs single elimination game thing. It makes sense theoretically, but in reality look at the NFL playoffs. How often do you say a game was a complete fluke in the playoffs? There's true competition in the NFL so you can see most games going either way.

Put it like this...there's most likely a higher chance for an NFL QB to throw a game winning bomb TD than an NBA player to launch the ball from beyond half court to win the game in the NBA with a hand in his face. Add in the fact that in the NFL playoffs it's only 1 game vs an entire series and having to win 4 games in order to move on. It's easier for an NBA team to go cold for a few games, see the NY Knicks, and lose a series than for Peyton Manning and The Broncos to get beat 4 out of 7 times by Joe Flacco and the Ravens.
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    I'm at work so I'll keep this post short and add later. But I only halfway agree with the best of 7 vs single elimination game thing. It makes sense theoretically, but in reality look at the NFL playoffs. How often do you say a game was a complete fluke in the playoffs? There's true competition in the NFL so you can see most games going either way.

Put it like this...there's most likely a higher chance for an NFL QB to throw a game winning bomb TD than an NBA player to launch the ball from beyond half court to win the game in the NBA with a hand in his face. Add in the fact that in the NFL playoffs it's only 1 game vs an entire series and having to win 4 games in order to move on. It's easier for an NBA team to go cold for a few games, see the NY Knicks, and lose a series than for Peyton Manning and The Broncos to get beat 4 out of 7 times by Joe Flacco and the Ravens.

I'd take the Ravens in that. People forget Peyton wasn't ballin out that game, and often doesn't in the playoffs. Think people also forget the Broncos scored 2 special teams TD's that game. Then the Ravens went on to dominate the Pats and win the SB. So ya, in a best of 7 series it wouldn't be surprising if the Ravens still won.
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is a ? ? question. I don't know why people ? with soccer, baseball or hockey but they do...great for them. If you don't ? wit the nba dont ? wit it.../thread.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I love the NBA, I'm an NFL fan but most games I don't give a ? about if it doesn't involve or have any implications to my team (Bengals) or my fantasy team. And with the NBA every team, even the scrubs have at least 1 or 2 exciting players that are worth watching. With the NFL the scrub teams may have some good players but another facet of the team may hold that player back. Like the Chiefs with Dwayne Bowe for example. But to each his own, I use to get in an uproar about this topic. But at the end of the day, people gonna gravitate to what they want to.
  • TheIraq
    Options
    ? said Memphis is a basketball town lol....... Memphis stay winning and it's a basketball town...... Where was this basketball town when yall were ? as ? from from like 01 or 02 when the team moved to Memphis? Lol Memphis is a basketball town now because they made it to the WCF........ Was Memphis a basketball town in 07 and 08 when yall got swept the ? out of the playoffs back to back years???????????? "We got swept out again this year but we a basketball town" ass ? ............... Yeah yall decent now but it nobody forgot about how terrible yall been since yall got to Memphis....... A few winning seasons dont mean ? , word to the 2001 to 2005 Sacramento Kings......... .Memphis folk, just keep the BBQ grills crackin and the mediocre music and we good............ 8ball and MJG, 3 6 Mafia, and Project Pat dope though...........
  • TheIraq
    Options
    ? said Memphis is a basketball town lol....... Memphis stay winning and it's a basketball town...... Where was this basketball town when yall were ? as ? from from like 01 or 02 when the team moved to Memphis? Lol Memphis is a basketball town now because they made it to the WCF........ Was Memphis a basketball town in 07 and 08 when yall got swept the ? out of the playoffs back to back years???????????? "We got swept out again this year but we a basketball town" ass ? ............... Yeah yall decent now but it nobody forgot about how terrible yall been since yall got to Memphis....... A few winning seasons dont mean ? , word to the 2001 to 2005 Sacramento Kings......... .Memphis folk, just keep the BBQ grills crackin and the mediocre music and we good............ 8ball and MJG, 3 6 Mafia, and Project Pat dope though...........
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think he's talkin' more about college basketball when he says Memphis is a b-ball town -- which it actually is.

OKC and the state in general is a Football town and state, but Okies love sports in general.

But please believe, a Oklahoman would stab Durant in the eye and cut westbrook's legs off to get a NFL team in Oklahoma.
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Whole lotta people catchin feelings over this question. The league doesn't have enough competition at the top. The league is pretty predictable. People admit they don't really watch the regular season. The all-star game gets better ratings than some of the playoff series. So apparently a lot of people don't really mess with the NBA that much. So I was just asking what draws you to the NBA? The playoffs are watered down. The regular season is drawn out and a lot of people (even fans) don't have much interest in it. About 40% of the playoff series aren't competitive. People are gettin mad, but not saying I'm wrong

This isn't even a debatable premise that's why.

You asked why people like NBA. Not why is nba > nfl or something like that.

Obviously NFL > NBA, and yes the pool of potential champions in the nba is less than that of the nfl.

? already gave you the reasons why.

You are in here stating the obvious.

• fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is a ? ? question. I don't know why people ? with soccer, baseball or hockey but they do...great for them. If you don't ? wit the nba dont ? wit it.../thread.

• bow to royalty
    Options

This isn't even a debatable premise that's why.

You asked why people like NBA. Not why is nba > nfl or something like that.

Obviously NFL > NBA, and yes the pool of potential champions in the nba is less than that of the nfl.

? already gave you the reasons why.

You are in here stating the obvious.

What are you talkin about?. Other people brought up the NFL..not me. In fact, you mentioned the NFL in two posts in here before I said anything about it. And my question seems to be a legit one. People admitted that they don't really ? with the regular season much. I said like 40% of playoff seriesaren't even competitive. So there you have the regular season and a big chunk of the playoffs not being competitive. So IMO that makes asking what draws people in, a legit question. One person said a hometown team, one person said athleticism, and one said adversarial competition. Those are the answers you mean when people already gave me the reasons why? Cuz those can be for any sport...athletes, rivalries, and a local team.
  • Cymicaldane
    Cymicaldane Members Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Being foreign, my fascination with american sports started with the NBA some 20 years back and lasted up until the early 2000's when i focused more on the NFL, but because i took part in the NCAA brackets this year, my interest returned and i have actually enjoyed the NBA this year
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    man im actually getting tired of the nba or basketball in general. all these touch fouls people cant talk ? . its being white washed and it saddens me. i used to be a die hard bball fan but all this finesse ? is making the game weak. what they need to do in not give these ? guaranteed contracts and then i promise you the game would be better.

This was the most co-herent thing you ever posted on here.
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I love basketball and the NBA in general. NFL used to be my favorite sport but to be honest basketball is more fluid and fun to watch, live or on t.v.

The NBA is more exciting to me and the players, coaching staff and even refs are more diverse than any other major sport in North America. I've learned more about different countries and even traveled to places because of the back ground of the foreign guys who the league has promoted sparked my interest into learning more about there heritage and culture.

The NBA truly reminds me and makes me appreciate the melting ? which is planet earth (even if it is 90% black, LOL) because there are so many guys who learned to play the game or do a move a certain way because of the area of the world they grew up in.