After Earth

Options

Comments

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Let the numbers come in first. That's what Will stans have to defend him with . ..

That shallow fail safe argument may not even work out for them this time
    UPDATED: Summit's magician heist pic earned $1.5 million as it launched at 7 p.m. Thursday; "After Earth," opening at 9 p.m., takes in a soft $1 million and may have trouble crossing $25 million for the weekend in a major blow for the actor.

In a box office upset, Now You See Me beat Will Smith's sci-fi adventure After Earth as the two films rolled out in theaters Thursday night.

Nor are Friday matinee numbers bringing much relief for After Earth, which may struggle to open much past $25 million unless ticket sales pick up in earnest, versus the $35 million-plus the father-son adventure was expected to bring in. The film's performance is a rare blemish for Smith, considered one of the world's biggest stars.

After Earth -- starring Smith opposite his son, Jaden -- has pulled ahead of Summit's Now You See Me at the Friday box office, although that's not likely to bring much solace. On Thursday night, the Sony event pic grossed a tepid $1 million, while Now You See Me grossed $1.5 million (Now You See Me did have a two-hour jump on After Earth, opening at 7 p.m.).

After Earth is a passion project for Smith, who came up with the idea for the story and tapped M. Night Shyamalan to direct the $130 million film for Sony. The actor's character sits out much of the action in the film, with the younger Smith taking top billing.

The sci-fi epic has received dismal notices, with several reviewers raising parallels between the film and Scientology.

Universal's Fast & Furious 6 is widely expected to stay at No. 1 in its second weekend, with a gross in the $45 million to $50 million range.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-report-you-see-560758

I didn't even know Now You See Me opened this weekend. I don't know anybody that was checking for that.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    Let the numbers come in first. That's what Will stans have to defend him with . ..

That shallow fail safe argument may not even work out for them this time
    UPDATED: Summit's magician heist pic earned $1.5 million as it launched at 7 p.m. Thursday; "After Earth," opening at 9 p.m., takes in a soft $1 million and may have trouble crossing $25 million for the weekend in a major blow for the actor.

In a box office upset, Now You See Me beat Will Smith's sci-fi adventure After Earth as the two films rolled out in theaters Thursday night.

Nor are Friday matinee numbers bringing much relief for After Earth, which may struggle to open much past $25 million unless ticket sales pick up in earnest, versus the $35 million-plus the father-son adventure was expected to bring in. The film's performance is a rare blemish for Smith, considered one of the world's biggest stars.

After Earth -- starring Smith opposite his son, Jaden -- has pulled ahead of Summit's Now You See Me at the Friday box office, although that's not likely to bring much solace. On Thursday night, the Sony event pic grossed a tepid $1 million, while Now You See Me grossed $1.5 million (Now You See Me did have a two-hour jump on After Earth, opening at 7 p.m.).

After Earth is a passion project for Smith, who came up with the idea for the story and tapped M. Night Shyamalan to direct the $130 million film for Sony. The actor's character sits out much of the action in the film, with the younger Smith taking top billing.

The sci-fi epic has received dismal notices, with several reviewers raising parallels between the film and Scientology.

Universal's Fast & Furious 6 is widely expected to stay at No. 1 in its second weekend, with a gross in the $45 million to $50 million range.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-report-you-see-560758

I didn't even know Now You See Me opened this weekend. I don't know anybody that was checking for that.

now you see me looks kinda dope. i might check it out
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think will smith dies

? a spoiler
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    Options
    Zimbio Review - 'After Earth' Fails to Snap M. Night Shyamalan's Streak of Bad Movies
    By Joe Robberson on May 30, 2013

As predictable as any movie you will ever see, M. Night Shyamalan's latest, After Earth, is an ultimately forgettable walk through the park of science fiction that has nothing new to say or show us about the genre. Shyamalan, once one of Hollywood's most successful and brightest writer/directors, continues to regress. After Earth has such a lack of creative vision, it easily qualifies as one of the worst movies of the year.

Humans have been driven from Earth by an alien race and the planet is now uninhabitable, overrun by dangerous predators and toxins. The aliens are unique in that they hunt by smelling phermones secreted by fear in humans. Earth's hero, Cypher Raige (Will Smith), defeats them by perfecting a process called "ghosting," where he becomes invisible to the creatures by harnessing his fear, thus not allowing the aliens to sense him. Cypher explains to his son, Kitai (Jaden Smith), "Fear is a choice."

After flunking his Ranger test, Kitai accompanies Dad on a space mission to transport an alien for research, but the ship hits an asteroid field and crash lands on Earth, some 1000 years after humans have left. Cypher and Kitai survive but Cypher is injured and Kitai must find the tail section of the ship some 100 kilometers away. There's a space flare in the tail and the only way the two can surive is if Kitai faces his fears and traverses the dangerous planet to find it.

After Earth looks like a Star Trek episode from the '70s. It's baffling how pedestrian the production design and CGI are. Space ship interiors look like a do-it-yourself plumbling project. PVC-looking pipes are everywhere. Doorways are covered by curtains, men wear their uniform always and women wear flowing robes, not exactly new developments in cinematic future fashion.

However there's one grating detail that stood out above all else: seat belts. Seat belts play a pivotal role in After Earth since the Smith boys crash land and spend ample time buckling and unbuckling themselves in. The future belts look like they were taken from a Chevy Caprice off the Wonder Years set. They're old-looking and distracting, a perfect microcosm for the movie itself.

Will Smith is in full-on jarhead mode here with his Johnny Unitas haircut and perfectly groomed soul patch. He fails to break a smile and exists purely to coach his undisciplined son. It's one of the charismatic actor's most boring performances.

Jaden is onscreen for 90 percent of the film and a compelling leading man he does not make. He speaks in a weird accent that might've been a decision to make things seem more futuristic, but it serves as a distration. He's also blatantly out of sync with the CGI at times, swinging his double-sided sword (What, no guns in the future?) at nothing and he looks demented in some scenes talking to the air while communicating with his dad via an armband.

The technology in the film is laughable. The armbands, floppy iPads, and 3D visual displays have all been seen before. The scenes set in the dark recesses of space look straight out of TV. The CGI predators on Earth look hideous. In all, After Earth is a giant mess. There's very little endearing material, the performances are empty and listless, and the ending can be predicted a mile away. Shyamalan does little to disprove the notion his previous film, The Last Airbender, was an aberration.

this is hate tho ... they didnt dig in to battle: los angeles and i know this cant be worse than that
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    Options

all im saying tho is "did ? see the movie tho??" LOL

seems like cats is running with the review on face value
  • sdotcarter111
    sdotcarter111 Members Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Went into the movie not expecting it to be good, just wanted to see some monsters tryna ? up Will and Jaden. It delivered on that.

Like I said, can't call it a good movie, but I got what I wanted out of it.

Whoever called Will crying I would say you got it, but its no ? surprise. Will did play the militant role decent, and Jaden....tried.
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Were tha. Monsters decent
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn Will did it have to come to this? Smh
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the movie is the first of a supposed trilogy written to push Jaden as a superstar....Will barely does anything in the movie and by the 3rd movie Jaden posed to be a superstar by then
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    takin my son to see it tonight..dont listen to reviews i form my own opinion ill let yall know what i think
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i would be amazed if this was somehow a halfway decent movie
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so nobody seen it yet?

damn
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Glad I went to see Star trek yesterday when my bro wanted to see this instead. Looks like another Oblivion.
  • smittysmith
    smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I give it a C-. Shouldve followed my initial instincts and passed on this one. I missed the 1st 5-10 mins but I swear it only lasted like an hour and Will's robotic acting was just agitating.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Funny thing about M Knight's movies is everyone says they suck, but they still ? at the box office. Somebody is watching his ? . lol
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    besides the village i think his movies are pretty good
  • Stomp Johnson
    Stomp Johnson Members, Writer Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It wasn't that damn bad. I gotta feeling most of these reviewers are so eager to ? on it due to Smith's overt nepotism like these crackas aint been doin it for years.

I'd give it a 6.5. ? deserves more a 33 or 3.3 tho.
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It wasn't that damn bad. I gotta feeling most of these reviewers are so eager to ? on it due to Smith's overt nepotism like these crackas aint been doin it for years.

I'd give it a 6.5. ? deserves more a 33 or 3.3 tho.

i agree. As a parent your supposed to put your kids on. Lol.

I think this movie will start off good then halfway become bad. Like some of will's movies in the past. Lol.
  • Stomp Johnson
    Stomp Johnson Members, Writer Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The final confrontation was pretty satisfying even if it was a little brief.

I saw it with my son. I almost mighta, coulda, woulda got a little misty eyed at the end having him there with me.

I say if you're a parent, definitely go check it out with your seed. Especially if you're a father with a son.
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Watching it now.. movie is good.. ? what a critic gotta say..they have ? on alot of movies i like.. aint really feeling jaiden as an actor tho