After Earth

Comments

• TheBossman
    TheBossman Members Posts: 19,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013

AFTER EARTH Flops With $9.8 Million Friday Opening

Panned by harsh review by critics, it should probably come as no surprise to learn that After Earth opened with only $9.8 million yesterday with a predicted weekend total of a measly $25 million. This makes it 2013′s most high-profile flop so far.

This weekend will once again belong to Fast & Furious 6, but M. Night Shyamalan’s After Earth looks unlikely to even take the #2 spot after a disappointing Friday opening of $9.8 million. Now You See Me (which has a cast featuring the likes of Mark Ruffalo, Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman) took #2 with $10 million and looks set for a weekend of $27.8M. After Earth on the other hand – which has a ‘B’ CinemaScore despite being torn to pieces by the majority of critics – looks set for a three day total of only $27.2 million (although some analysts are predicting a number as low as $25 million).

It’s not exactly clear what has caused the movie to underperform, especially with Will Smith and his son Jaden in the two leading roles, although it’s thought that the last few Shyamalan films have just put audiences off going anywhere near anything that has his name attached. With a $130 million budget, only its overseas opening can save it now. According to Deadline, “the studio worked “really hard” to fix this crapfest in post-production and that even an arrogant know-it-all like Shyamalan was aware the pic didn’t work but couldn’t fix it on his own.”

Are you guys planning on checking it out?

1 1 Fast & Furious 6 Uni. $34,538,000 -64.5% 3,686 +28 $9,370 $170,377,000 $160 2
    2 N Now You See Me LG/S $28,050,000 – 2,925 – $9,590 $28,050,000 $75 1
    3 N After Earth Sony $27,000,000 – 3,401 – $7,939 $27,000,000 $130 1

66abf26b65bc35c192454418abd0f582_view.jpg
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    m. night movies are ? horrific and ? you off. After the last airbender no one isn't going to see his ? films.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    It wasn't that damn bad. I gotta feeling most of these reviewers are so eager to ? on it due to Smith's overt nepotism like these crackas aint been doin it for years.

I'd give it a 6.5. ? deserves more a 33 or 3.3 tho.

that plus the fact the will been such a summer success they cant wait till he comes up a little short to tear him down
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will should've known mnight isn't the director you want to make a movie with
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Copper wrote: »
    It wasn't that damn bad. I gotta feeling most of these reviewers are so eager to ? on it due to Smith's overt nepotism like these crackas aint been doin it for years.

I'd give it a 6.5. ? deserves more a 33 or 3.3 tho.

that plus the fact the will been such a summer success they cant wait till he comes up a little short to tear him down

Lol. You can't tear Will down. He will win in the end.
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    this movie is no where near as bad as ppl are making it out to be. its exactly what its advertised to be. it seems people are just mad because it could have been better. the storyline is not unique at all ... so what are you really expecting here. then you got sheeple who are glad they spent money on movies that were remade multiple times?? not to mention how funny it is that everyone is suddenly some movie guru level critic lol foh ... ? was decent. its not like it had an all star cast or some ?

/rant
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    m. night shamalamalala has good trailers for his movies. Gets people hype everytime. lol.

Just saw the movie. It was okay.

His son might have been feeling himself because of karate kid though.

The part where he says "Im Not A Coward, your a coward!!!"
    was beyond cheesy.

Will and his son needs to do a sequel to "just the two of us"
    and call it a day.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was his other son in the just the two of us video
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This movie wasnt that bad. It didnt blow my mind or anything but I enjoyed it. Too much Jaden Smith tho..... I needed more Zoe Kravitz.
  • jay83

Really? guess hes been laying low.

Well perhaps they could do a remake then. Lol
  • peagle05
    peagle05 Members Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    trey can lay low, he got "just the two of us"..thats one of will's best songs. trey won.
    thats why Will forcing the other two on us, he trying to make it up to them lol
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    s.free wrote: »
    Alot of reviews that r really ? on the movie and jaden as well. Not looking good. Basically being called a will smith handout to his son and jaden couldn't deliver. Think its gonna crash and burn. Sad. was hoping it would be well received. Looking like an expensive fail right now.

A.V Club gave it a C+ but the community grade is D and these paragraphs are etherous:

It’s hard to blame Shyamalan for the downright embarrassing opening, a choppy mess of redundant exposition that seems to belong in a different movie. Shyamalan may be an earnest (and some would say corny) storyteller, but he’s also economical; the opening’s overreliance on stock footage and plot-explaining voiceover stinks of test-screening rewrites.

Then there’s the problem of Jaden Smith; bereft of charisma or anything resembling acting talent, he’s more liability than lead. Fortunately, he spends almost the entire movie running, jumping, and listening to his father talk—all things that the young Smith or his stunt double seem to be very good at.

As the father, Will Smith spends most of After Earth sitting in a chair. His performance is grim and low-key; occasionally, it feels like the elder Smith is trying to throw the film in his son’s favor.
    To further complicate matters, all of the movie’s dialogue is spoken in a futuristic, vaguely Caribbean “post-Earth” accent, which proves to be distracting, since neither Smith seems to be able to keep his accent consistent.

if young boul really wants be a actor and his own man he gonna have to learn and pay some dues and try riskier indie roles
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Watching Ali currently on some channel .. .

$130 million? This guy shoulda gotten someone else to helm this film, I mean he's cool with Tom Cruise and that dude is very picky with his directors as a producer and a lead actor for his big budget action flicks .. .
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trey is a world renowned DJ though
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just watched it...it wasn't bad and it wasn't the best should have been longer
  • bootsy_jenkins
    bootsy_jenkins Members Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭
    texas409 wrote: »

Would you pay to see it again?

That is a telltale sign of a good flick.

• jay83

Including willow smith, will got 3 sons correct?
  • Stomp Johnson
    Stomp Johnson Members, Writer Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oooooooooooooooh.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Movie bombed at the box office
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    texas409 wrote: »

Would you pay to see it again?

That is a telltale sign of a good flick.
    Nope not at all might watch it if it ever comes on Hbo
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dam this ? lost out to the movie bout magic
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found a semi decent torrent ........... DL'ing now
  • S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was ok. Bad reviews lowered my expectations of it after being somewhat hype at the first trailer when it came out. It's a very simple movie but with that said if that's the route they were gonna go (meaning not showing tremendous backstory), it should've had more action and interaction with the changed planet. Give it 6.5 out of 10.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    dam this ? lost out to the movie bout magic

lol

and rofl @ Uwe Boll status
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Independence Day. Bad Boyz. Fresh Prince. Ali. IRobot. Hancock. I Am Legend. The dude knows how to play a fearless badass. I'm thinking MNS had to have some heavy influence in how Will portrayed that ? . Cause it really don't make sense the more I think about it. Will has shown that he knows how to do is job. But he disappointed me in this one.

I'll watch it again later. Now that I know to expect some MNS ? through and through. Plus I do want to know how it all goes down.