Comments

• a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the internet is like alcohol.........
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Matt- wrote: »
    glad we've finally got to the point where we can effectively judge the overall pulse of america by usings comments made on social media.

This ? is not suprising or unusual Matt.

People say what they truly feel on the internet. Yes there are some trolls, but if you spent any time on CNN.com or Yahoo News and read the comments this ? is tame in comparison.

Nobody is going to publicly speak against IR relationships because they know better, but there is definitely an underlying current that proves America is not ready for it to be accepted as normal by depicting it in something as all-American and wholesome as a Cheerios commercial.

It's still viewed as taboo and participants are seen as lesser than...it's stupid.

i'm not saying that people don't feel a certain way about stuff like this or that every online comment is meant to troll, or to get a reaction from people. There is a segment of the population that probably finds this to be disgusting. I'm not denying that.

I'm looking at it like this: how many truely racist comments were made about this commercial? A thousand? maybe 10,000??? Thats an extremely small percentage compared to the number of people who watched the commercial, who liked the video, who had something positive to say, or who just didn't say anything at all. Its silly to take the opinions of a few and pretend the represent the whole

Oh that's not my intention at all, I know the outspoken idiots are not the majority.

That said, for every outspoken idiot there is another idiot that won't say anything.

Like my grandmother for example, she don't like race mixing, but she sure wouldn't be quick to announce it in front of the congregation at her church.

People still feel this way, ESPECIALLY the baby boomers and older. It's just the way they were raised.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    alcohol is like the internet.....
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    glad we've finally got to the point where we can effectively judge the overall pulse of america by usings comments made on social media.

This is true, and it needs to stop. However...
    a.mann wrote: »
    So IMO this and other racist hate posts
    are not mere "trolling" for the sake of trolling

this is a general representation of how many white people REALLY feel and think
    but must grin & bare it in real life.....

Bingo.

Either that or they mask it with 'humor', while many of us black folk yuck it up and brush it off, not realizing the amount of truth that lies in humor.

I'll say it again: they mask it with 'humor', while many of us black folk yuck it up and brush it off, not realizing the amount of truth that lies in humor.

• ImTheKangRoundHere
    ImTheKangRoundHere Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

People say what they truly feel on the internet. Yes there are some trolls, but if you spent any time on CNN.com or Yahoo News and read the comments this ? is tame in comparison.

Nobody is going to publicly speak against IR relationships because they know better, but there is definitely an underlying current that proves America is not ready for it to be accepted as normal by depicting it in something as all-American and wholesome as a Cheerios commercial.

It's still viewed as taboo and participants are seen as lesser than...it's stupid.

i'm not saying that people don't feel a certain way about stuff like this or that every online comment is meant to troll, or to get a reaction from people. There is a segment of the population that probably finds this to be disgusting. I'm not denying that.

I'm looking at it like this: how many truely racist comments were made about this commercial? A thousand? maybe 10,000??? Thats an extremely small percentage compared to the number of people who watched the commercial, who liked the video, who had something positive to say, or who just didn't say anything at all. Its silly to take the opinions of a few and pretend the represent the whole

Oh that's not my intention at all, I know the outspoken idiots are not the majority.

That said, for every outspoken idiot there is another idiot that won't say anything.

Like my grandmother for example, she don't like race mixing, but she sure wouldn't be quick to announce it in front of the congregation at her church.

People still feel this way, ESPECIALLY the baby boomers and older. It's just the way they were raised.

Just because you were raised a certain way doesnt make it right
  • bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need more weed........

• Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just because you were raised a certain way doesnt make it right

You're absolutely right.

I cut my parents some slack when it first became a topic in our family because I know how they were raised coming up in the South, and I could see that they truly made effort to understand and try to reprogram that thought process...it's not perfect but they've come a long way.

And like Norm said, once you see that little face any resistance just melts away.
  • Rock_Well
    Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    *Oprah "You Mad???" gif*
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cute commercial
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    this makes me happy. i love when the klansman comes out of a white person. this is just reality .... you shoulda have been known there was no santa claus
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    but does this play on the fact that black men have heart attacks??? you could go pretty high if you analyze this and reach ..... LOL im actually tempted to do it LOL
  • BelovedAfeni
    BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reddit poster
  • RXMasked
    RXMasked Members Posts: 321 ✭✭✭
    ? the bs, overall the commercial made me chuckle
  • TheBossman
    TheBossman Members Posts: 19,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kYofm5d5Xdw
    the little girl in the commercial is adorable, ? the ignorant haters. btw Cheerios disabled the comments.
  • KINGEC
    KINGEC Members Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Not surprised. Saw it coming.

Saw this commercial last week and expected this reaction.

? them ignants...
  • Well Got Dam
    Well Got Dam Members Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    ha..................i just seen this commerical for the first time couple hours ago, immediately thought about how many mafuckas would get upset over this ? , bunch of feeble minded ass mafuckas angry over a commerical
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Rumors are that @ParallelRhymes and his wife are starring in the next commercial.
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ha..................i just seen this commerical for the first time couple hours ago, immediately thought about how many mafuckas would get upset over this ? , bunch of feeble minded ass mafuckas angry over a commerical

Alotta blacc dudes woulda been angry if it was a black woman and a white man in the commercial

But all the hate is fucced up either way

• Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    The same way a racist person had the ? given right to feel that way, you ? have the ? given right to disagree with them.
  • NYETOPn
    NYETOPn Members Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I have stated in another thread, we subconsciously criminalize blackness when say things like "its because I'm black" or "driving while black".

May you expand more on this thought, please?
  • Rock_Well
    Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this doesn't have much affect on someone such as myself who understands the true dynamics of race in this country. White people will never look at blacks as human beings. Truth is that they tolerate you, they don't accept you. And they never will. Coming to terms with these facts has helped me greatly living in this rotten society. It is important to recognize that merely being black isn't the problem. As I have stated in another thread, we subconsciously criminalize blackness when say things like "its because I'm black" or "driving while black". They are the one's with the problem. And it's not our job to ask questions why NOR is it our job to care. If you focus more on what we need to do as a people then acts of bigotry such as these won't bother you as much. It will be just another reminder as to why it is so important for us to one day be free from the order of white supremacy.

this, and blacks in general are a house divided against itself. Thus, we will never make any true progress when we keep entertaining small ish like this because its just more time wasted focusing on the wrong stuff. Some stuff aint worth defending ourselves left and right over when attacked, we just need to keep focusing on the task at hand and keep building what we need to build, never let haters throwing pebbles prevent you or slow you from doing the grand work ? gave us to do.
  • Phantom Pain
    Phantom Pain Members Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously, how was that commercial bad?
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously, how was that commercial bad?

It isn't. The 'outrage' here was in reaction to racist comments on the commercial's YouTube page. Racist comments on YouTube are like fat hoes in Walmart. You don't like to see it but you expect it. Not really newsworthy imo.