Should career minded women settle for non-career minded men?

Options
caddo man
caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
So I have always seen where career minded women have put off everything in their pursuit for glory at the job. They complain that they cant have it like the men. The men are married with children and have successful careers. Most career minded women say single and avoid Long term relationships to pursue goals.

While listening to NPR, I heard stories about men that have become Mr. Mom. Staying at home to be with the kids while mom goes out and bring home the bacon. The majority of these families were ridiculed for their decision. Mostly saying that the women settled for her stay at home man.

How do you feel about the situation? Would you considered being with a stay at home man?
What is your opinion?

Comments

• mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    So I have always seen where career minded women have put off everything in their pursuit for glory at the job. They complain that they cant have it like the men. The men are married with children and have successful careers. Most career minded women say single and avoid Long term relationships to pursue goals.

While listening to NPR, I heard stories about men that have become Mr. Mom. Staying at home to be with the kids while mom goes out and bring home the bacon. The majority of these families were ridiculed for their decision. Mostly saying that the women settled for her stay at home man.

How do you feel about the situation? Would you considered being with a stay at home man?
    What is your opinion?

Hey salary would have to be RIGHT. But if that was the case and it made sense, sure.
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If she wants to lower her standards she can.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meh
    That's that ? business not mine
  • BrideofKilla
    BrideofKilla Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Two incomes coming in>>>

• sweetheart93
    sweetheart93 Members Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I think whatever works for them is fine. I think if a career minded woman wants a career minded man they should settle down earlier with a man that's already settled in his career. Not saying they have to do it before 25 because most people are still immature or still growing before that age. It wouldn't be smart to do it before you're mentally ready.

I wouldn't marry a stay at home man. I'm not getting taken to the cleaners after we divorce lol. If another female wants to do that, then more power to her. Not gonna work for me though. I wouldn't have a problem marrying a man that makes less than me but he has to be making something.
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I couldn't even sit at home all day. That ? is boring. I can only play video games for so long before I get bored. But I wouldn't knock people who did it it's not my cup of henny.
  • edwardnigma
    edwardnigma Members Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Women like to get conquered
  • sweetheart93
    Options
    Women like to get conquered

I like to be worshiped.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    somebody has to raise the babies... calling it "settling" is wack...
    also "career minded" is also misleading... busting your ass to make other ppl rich will always leave u dissatisfied...
    family >>> work...
  • taeboo
    taeboo Members Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If it's what's best for my family then why not?? Just because a man chooses to not run the corporate rat race does not mean he's not good husband material...
  • sweetheart93
    Options
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I only give the proper reactions...
    and lol@u not knowing that family >>> work... u butthead...
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wouldn't be a sit at home man: I have a career too.

But let's say if she's a Doctor and she HAS to do the 60 hour weeks that they seem to do all the time, plus research, plus any qualifications that she's currently gunning for, then I'd consider going part time at work in order to look after and bring the children up straight. But I wouldn't accept being a 'sit at home Dad' permanently. I have to make a difference in this world too and although I could get that from bringing up children, I'm good at what I do and want to continue to grow within the role that I fulfil at work.

• MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    If I'm able to take care of things and it's best for our family then why not. A father's part in raising kids is just as important as a mother's.

I would love to come home to a clean house, laundry done, dinner cooked, kids homework done, etc...... Not having to figure out who takes off for things like Dr appts or school meetings or meeting the A/C repair man.

And he could do things like volunteer at the kid's school or be their football coach or whatever. Being a stay at home dad does not have to equal not doing things outside of the home.

I don't think my man would go for it but it could be an option if he was cool with it.
  • sweetheart93
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Stopitfive wrote: »
    I only give the proper reactions...
    and lol@u not knowing that family >>> work...u butthead...

Both are very important, I don't want to have a family if I can't provide for them. I don't know why anyone would.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes. Somebody gotta take care of the kids, clean the house and be the ? .
  • caddo man
    Options
    Meh

I take 'Meh' as in you aint feeling a Mr mom in your home.
  • caddo man
    Options
    I aint feeling the at home dad ? either. I really cant respect a dude that does it. But on the same note. I dont look down on a woman that would do it. I expect it.

I actually see this situation as another reason why there is a rise in lesbians. Those same career minded women cant truly love a man they dont see as their equal or better. But can live with a women in that same role.
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you cant have a beast career and beast home life and a beast social life...its levels to this ? ......you can have a decent career a decent home life and a decent social life or a beast career a decent home life and a ? social life...
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    never in one million years would i stay home and let my woman take care of me. I am a man
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    I aint feeling the at home dad ? either. I really cant respect a dude that does it. But on the same note. I dont look down on a woman that would do it. I expect it.

I actually see this situation as another reason why there is a rise in lesbians. Those same career minded women cant truly love a man they dont see as their equal or better. But can live with a women in that same role.

Smh...lol

nothing wrong with a man being a stay at home dad/husband

And actually more and more men are choosing to do so

My cousin is a network admin but she made more then her husband who was a trucker. Anyways once their son was born and my ? got back to work they agreed he would quit his job and stay home to look after the baby because they didnt want to leave him in the care of strangers...

Same as with a stay at home wife/mother, it doesnt automatically mean hes lazy or unambitious just means hes putting his pride/dreams aside doing what is best for his family

I dont see why that is so unrespectable, bad, shameful, etc
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I wouldn't marry a stay at home man. I'm not getting taken to the cleaners after we divorce lol.

2ns0xa8.jpg

• Cinco
    Cinco Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can work from home, don't have to go to the office. So if i had kids they'd be at the house with me.
    For the past 6 months I have had no "job," been at the crib managing properties, trading options, etc.

But have no career and my sole responsibility is the kids and cooking, cleaning? Nahhh
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No one should ever settle
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not sure I could do it.