Uncle Thomas??????

Options
bambu
bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2013 in The Social Lounge
236_cartoon_uncle_thomas_emerge_large.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/09/us/clarence-thomas-three-questions/index.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed:+rss/cnn_topstories+(RSS:+Top+Stories)

Arguing that Clarence Thomas has benefited from two pillars of the civil rights movement -- the Voting Rights Act and affirmative action -- CNN's John Blake asks why the justice is poised to help the Supreme Court bury them.

He says Thomas holds grudges against old college classmates, black critics and "elites." He often equates his plight to that of slaves when he compares critics to "overseers" and talks about blacks who expect him to be an "intellectual slave."

Slights against the U.S. Supreme Court also affect Thomas. While speaking to a bar association in rural Georgia in 2011, Thomas said critics of the Supreme Court's decisions were illiterate or lazy.

"You don't just keep nagging and nagging and nagging," he told the Augusta Bar Association. "Sometimes, too much is too much."

Thomas recently used an occasion of great joy for the black community -- the election of the nation's first black president -- to complain about persecution. When he was asked if he was surprised that a black man became president, he criticized the "elites" and "the media."

"The thing that I always knew is that it would have to be a black president who was approved by the elites and the media, because anybody they didn't agree with, they would take apart," Thomas said during a C-SPAN interview at a Pittsburgh law school in April.

Thomas' behavior at his confirmation hearing in 1991 soured some critics as well. When he was accused of sexual harassment, Thomas publicly told a Senate panel that he was the victim of a "high-tech lynching" reserved for uppity blacks.

In his memoir, he wrote about his confirmation hearing:

"As a child in the Deep South, I'd grown up fearing the lynch mobs of the Ku Klux ? ; as an adult, I was starting to wonder if I'd been afraid of the wrong white people all along. My worst fears had come to pass not in Georgia but in Washington, D.C., where I was being pursued not by bigots in white robes but by left-wing zealots draped in flowing sanctimony."

In a 1998 address to a group of predominantly African-American lawyers, Thomas showed a more vulnerable side.

"It pains me deeply -- more deeply than any of you can imagine -- to be perceived by so many members of my race as doing them harm," he told the National Bar Association, the nation's largest group of lawyers, during a meeting in Memphis, Tennessee.

"All the sacrifice, all the long hours of preparation were to help, not to hurt," he said. "I have come here today not in anger or to anger."

Thomas' speech was greeted with scattered boos and little applause, news reports say.

http://youtu.be/2NqLyzy9vr8

Comments

• Dirty Sanchez
    Dirty Sanchez Members Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Clarence Thomas is in a league of his own.
  • 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LMAO at that magazine cover
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? Clarence Thomas.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    9TRAY_93EB wrote: »
    LMAO at that magazine cover

that ? is so etherous i assumed the following article would be about how etherous it is

• joeLiber
    joeLiber Members Posts: 93
    Options
    "The thing that I always knew is that it would have to be a black president who was approved by the elites and the media, because anybody they didn't agree with, they would take apart," Thomas said during a C-SPAN interview at a Pittsburgh law school in April.
    Basically what happened to Allen West down in Florida. Stray out of your "roll" and you got to be knocked back down
  • Paul Hate.
    Paul Hate. Members Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why is it always the blackest baboon face ? cooning bro?
  • Mr. Rich Pryor
    Mr. Rich Pryor Members Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? dis uncle tom ass muthaphukka!
    clarence thomas a cracka peter puffa!
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    joeLiber wrote: »
    Basically what happened to Allen West down in Florida. Stray out of your "roll" and you got to be knocked back down

Allen West is a judas ass ? that ? is weird. That ? has no qualms about licking Michelle Bachmans ? dry.
  • bambu
    Options

Allen West is another Tom ass ? .......

• joeLiber
    Options
    bambu wrote: »

Why? Because he was well spoken, served as an officer in the army, knows that entitlements are killing the country, understands American history and isn't a democrat?
  • bambu
    Options

Why? Because he was well spoken, served as an officer in the army, knows that entitlements are killing the country, understands American history and isn't a democrat?

Because he was booted from the military for abusing detainees.......

And he believes that social programs are modern day slavery......

• joeLiber
    edited July 2013
    Options

Because he was booted from the military for abusing detainees.......

And he believes that social programs are modern day slavery......

He scared a prisoner by shooting a gun next to a prisoner's head to find out where IED and ambushes were, once. He said "If it's about the lives of my soldiers at stake, I'd go through hell with a gasoline can.". I respect that answer and that he never tried to hide it.

And yes social programs can create dependency on the gov and have destroyed the family unit.
    The black family—which survived slavery, discrimination, poverty, wars and depressions—began to come apart as the federal government moved in with its well-financed programs to “help.”

They are also inefficient as ? .

on average, 70 cents of each dollar budgeted for government assistance goes not to the poor, but to the members of the welfare bureaucracy and others serving the poor.

mises.org/journals/jls/21_2/21_2_1.pdf

Welfare as set up today is a massive joke and should not exist in its current form.

read these with an open mind
    discoverthenetworks.org/viewSubCategory.asp?id=1672
    The results of welfare policies discouraging marriage and family were dramatic, as out-of-wedlock birthrates skyrocketed among all demographic groups in the U.S., but most notably African Americans. In the mid-1960s, the out-of-wedlock birth rate was scarcely 3% for whites, 7.7% for Americans overall, and 24.5% among blacks. By 1976, those figures had risen to nearly 10% for whites, 24.7% for Americans as a whole, and 50.3% for blacks in particular. In 1987, for the first time in the history of any American racial or ethnic group, the birth rate for unmarried black women surpassed that for married black women. Today the illegitimacy rates stand at 41% for the nation overall, and 73% for African Americans specifically

The calamitous breakdown of the black family is a comparatively recent phenomenon, coinciding precisely with the rise of the welfare state. Throughout the epoch of slavery and into the early decades of the twentieth century, most black children grew up in two-parent households.
 Post-Civil War studies revealed that most black couples in their forties had been together for at least twenty years. In southern urban areas around 1880, nearly three-fourths of black households were husband-or father-present; in southern rural settings, the figure approached 86%. As of 1940, the illegitimacy rate among blacks nationwide was approximately 15%—scarcely one-fifth of the current figure.
 As late as 1950, black women were more likely to be married than white women, and only 9% of black families with children were headed by a single parent.

During the nine decades between the Emancipation Proclamation and the 1950s, the black family remained a strong, stable institution. Its cataclysmic destruction was subsequently set in motion by such policies as the anti-marriage incentives that are built into the welfare system have served only to exacerbate the problem. As George Mason University professor Walter E. Williams puts it: “The welfare state has done to black Americans what slavery couldn't do, what Jim Crow couldn't do, what the harshest racism couldn't do. And that is to destroy the black family.” Hoover Institution Fellow Thomas Sowell concurs: “The black family, which had survived centuries of slavery and discrimination, began rapidly disintegrating in the liberal welfare state that subsidized unwed pregnancy and changed welfare from an emergency rescue to a way of life.”

And this one
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704881304576094221050061598.html
  • bambu
    Options
    West is a coward.......

That civilian had nothing to do with his orders.......

Lets not act like this dude saved anyone.....

His peers acknowledged his wrong doings.......

And the "liberal welfare state" did not destroy the black family....

Mass incarceration & the drug war destroyed the black family....

BTW.....

Thomas Sowell is also a ? .....

See the Thomas Sowell appreciation thread......
  • whar
    whar Members Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Joe, I tried to find support for that 70% of welfare money goes to administrative costs and could find nothing. In the supporting web site you linked they cited 'Robert L Woodson 1989 pg 63' and Michael Tanner using 'regional studies'. I could not find these cited materials online at all. The GAO places this number below 20% which is in line with most charities. If the number was actually 70% on administrative expense it would be simple to get the program cut. It seems to strain credulity that your number is correct.

I would be remiss not to note that I have a point in common with Bambu. While I do not think that the welfare system has promoted strong families it has been the War on Drugs that has been destructive. And particularly painful to black families since penalties for drugs more common in black communities are more severe than those popular in white communities.