Headlight oxidation cleaner recommendations

konceptjones
konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
Any of y'all use some ? to clean the oxidation off of your headlights? I know the struggle van had issues with oxidation, but last night the headlights looked pretty bad and the last thing I need is a bored cop pullin me over for dim headlights (they WILL do that ? 'round here). Tonight, tho, I was driving the ML and noticed it creeping up on those headlights as well.

Any of y'all got a recommendation for that ? ?

Comments

• rooster_cogburn
    rooster_cogburn Members Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Dont waste your money with them kits like I did in the past...NONE of them work.

2000 grit, & 1000 grit sandpaper, a can of auto clear coat, micro-fiber towels & Meguries compound from the local autoparts store.Take off your HL housings, get a bucket full of soap/water. Wetsand the housings with the 1000 grit first, let them dry. You dont need hard pressure, just enough. Keep wetsanding as long as you want. The more thorough, the better. They will be very hazy, dont trip.

Once they dry, evenly apply the clear coat in a side-side sweeping motion, & let that ? dry.

Wetsand the clear with the softer 2000 grit, to get rid of the "orange peel" left behind. You can repeat this process over & over. The more coats of clear, the better.

Wetsand once more, then apply the compound with alot of pressure in circular motions. Buff with the same pressure, & this will bring out the shine of the clear. Will be back to factory. Total time: 3hrs.

Either that or you stuck with buying new housings off EBay. Ive done this twice, and will do it again.
  • konceptjones
    Dont waste your money with them kits like I did in the past...NONE of them work.

2000 grit, & 1000 grit sandpaper, a can of auto clear coat, micro-fiber towels & Meguries compound from the local autoparts store.Take off your HL housings, get a bucket full of soap/water. Wetsand the housings with the 1000 grit first, let them dry. You dont need hard pressure, just enough. Keep wetsanding as long as you want. The more thorough, the better. They will be very hazy, dont trip.

Once they dry, evenly apply the clear coat in a side-side sweeping motion, & let that ? dry.

Wetsand the clear with the softer 2000 grit, to get rid of the "orange peel" left behind. You can repeat this process over & over. The more coats of clear, the better.

Wetsand once more, then apply the compound with alot of pressure in circular motions. Buff with the same pressure, & this will bring out the shine of the clear. Will be back to factory. Total time: 3hrs.

Either that or you stuck with buying new housings off EBay. Ive done this twice, and will do it again.

tumblr_inline_ml3l6ub3Z11qz4rgp.jpg

Damn... none of 'em work? ? . The struggle van I can deal with just buying a replacement, but the ML is different. I ain't trying to slip up and ? up the headlights on it. I won't hear the end of it 'cause that's the only ride that the wife drives.

smh... This is some ? , there's gotta be another solution.
  • Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hear they work, its just u have to keep doing it over and over again. The only was to stop, it is to like, polish it off and clear coat it or apply some sealant or some ? . i'd just buy new housings if it were me but, some sites say toothpaste works or can work to clear it up some ( not the gel kind)

http://www.instructables.com/id/Clean-your-headlights-with-toothpaste/
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • konceptjones
    seriously??? Toothpaste?

I'll try it out on the struggle van before using it on the ML. ? around and the wife don't even care, but at least the van will have decent lights.
  • rooster_cogburn
    rooster_cogburn Members Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭

tumblr_inline_ml3l6ub3Z11qz4rgp.jpg

Damn... none of 'em work? ? . The struggle van I can deal with just buying a replacement, but the ML is different. I ain't trying to slip up and ? up the headlights on it. I won't hear the end of it 'cause that's the only ride that the wife drives.

smh... This is some ? , there's gotta be another solution.

*shrug* iono what to tell you then patna. you gotta work for what you want. i enjoy putting effort and time into my car projects....i guess errbody aint like me
  • konceptjones
    No doubt. I don't mind puttin in work on my cars to get 'em on the road, but for headlights??? Nah.

• aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a detail spot by me does it.... the kits work but most folk dont do it right ... u gotta wet and dry sand for 7 levels... most shops and folk stop at 3 and the fog comes back. They did my other car a year ago and the lights look like new
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aneed123 wrote: »
    a detail spot by me does it.... the kits work but most folk dont do it right ... u gotta wet and dry sand for 7 levels... most shops and folk stop at 3 and the fog comes back. They did my other car a year ago and the lights look like new
    @aneed123

how much they charge for that

• aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    aneed123 wrote: »
    @aneed123

how much they charge for that

$70 with a lifetime guarantee
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    can't be mad at that i'm call around to some detail shops