ATL Radio Host Fired For Jokes/Prank Call Mocking Steve Gleason's Disease

Options
blackrain
blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
There's an intense NFL rivalry between the Falcons and Saints in the NFC South. But an Atlanta radio station took it several steps too far on Monday morning. Hosts of a morning program at all-sports 790 The Zone have been suspended indefinitely for making fun of Steve Gleason, a former New Orleans special teams standout who is batting Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, a crippling disease.

The LSU fan site TigerDroppings.com caught wind of the on-air comments, which were not replayed or archived by the station. According to SB Nation, the "Mayhem in the AM" show distastefully faked a phone call from Gleason and mocked his voice. It was timed with Gleason's great guest Monday Morning Quarterback column for Sports Illustrated, which detailed his life with ALS and was written despite Gleason's physical inability to type.

When Gleason's former Saints teammate and good friend Scott Fujita first heard what the station did, he didn't hold back his anger on Twitter.

There was no playback, but Fujita and others got a bigger response and action from Rick Mack, senior vice president and general manager of 790 The Zone.

"We deeply regret the comments made by Mayhem In The AM this morning on 790 The Zone regarding former New Orleans Saints player Steve Gleason," Mack said in an issued statement. "790 The Zone, Lincoln Financial Media, our sponsors and partners in no way endorse or support the unfortunate and offensive commentary concerning Mr. Gleason this morning.

"The members of the show involved with this incident have been suspended indefinitely pending further management review of their actions."

Nick Cellini, one of the hosts of "Mayhem in the AM," shared his regrets for the Gleason comments on Twitter.

My apologies to everyone. It was a stupid attempt at humor that backfired. Emphasis on stupid.
— Nick Cellini (@NickCellini) June 17, 2013

UPDATE: WTMI has posted the audio of the Gleason segment, which you can hear here.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-06-17/atlanta-radio-station-steve-gleason-als-new-orleans-saints-falcons?ncid=webmail1

Comments

• Livefromclayco
    Livefromclayco Members Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This really ain't got ? to do with the Falcons and Saints 3 unfunny ? made jokes that were painfully corny and deservedly got fired.

• Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    but imus got rehired tho
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wow they have been the morning show for 790 for a very long time. I'm shocked they were fired.

I believe 2 are from Boston and nick Cellini is from Youngstown, OH so I agree it has nothing to do with saints vs falcons.

• lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    who the ? comes up with a skit to make fun of dude in a wheelchair...so many folks trying to get in on sports talk radio that these comments gets you fired...probably got pressure from advertisers and sponsors..local radio survives off local sponsors so you don't want the other station taking your sponsors
  • PaperPlaneJane
    PaperPlaneJane Members Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They have audio on this link...

http://deadspin.com/heres-the-steve-gleason-bit-that-got-three-atlanta-rad-513889322

I get the rivalry but this ? crossed a line.....got nothing to do with football.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree it doesnt have anything to do with the rivalry but they pandered to the audience. I used to listen to them in the morning on CSS. but they just got on your nerves with the constant BS. I dont listen 790 anymore cause they dont have any good shows. They had Barnhardt, Two Live Stews, and David Pollack. All them mfers gone. Look for them to be a alt rock station in 3 months.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    I agree it doesnt have anything to do with the rivalry but they pandered to the audience. I used to listen to them in the morning on CSS. but they just got on your nerves with the constant BS. I dont listen 790 anymore cause they dont have any good shows. They had Barnhardt, Two Live Stews, and David Pollack. All them mfers gone. Look for them to be a alt rock station in 3 months.

yeah, if gleason were a player on the ravens, or seahawks, or any other team, they wouldn't have gone through with the skit. It wasn't a direct shot at the saints, but it was probably done with the intent of making the listeners laugh at the expense of a crippled saint. In that case, they should have just done a skit involving LB Victor Butler