Sony announces dates for two more sequels to 'The Amazing Spider-Man'

Options
DarthRozay
DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
If you're waiting for Sony to give up the rights to "Spider-Man" so Marvel can reboot the character and drop him into the same continuity as "The Avengers," you may want to take up a time-consuming hobby, because it's going to be a while.

"The Amazing Spider-Man 2" is set for release on May 2, 2014, but Sony must already be feeling fairly confident about what they're seeing, because they put out a press release today to announce that they are setting dates for two additional sequels. On June 10, 2016, they'll release the third film in the series, and on May 4, 2018, they'll release the fourth.

That means that, barring some unexpected massive failure, this version of the Spider-Man story is going to last at least one more film than Raimi's version did, which makes me sad. I wasn't crazy about the first film, and more than anything, I'm just frustrated by my reaction. I love the character, and I want to love movies about him.

This first sequel is starting to look like it's jam-packed with bad guys. Jamie Foxx is Electro, Paul Giamatti is The Rhino, and Chris Cooper and Dane DeHaan are playing Norman and Harry Osborne. If they already know they're making two more sequels, I'm a little surprised they're throwing so many opponents at Spider-Man in one film. Then again, what if they have a game plan and they're laying the groundwork for a Sinister Six film?

Sony may not own enough superheroes to do their own "Avengers" style event with heroes, so why not go the other direction? Why not do a massive team-up movie, but have it be the villains who are teaming up and not the heroes?

So far, the sequel's been under a fairly heavy degree of scrutiny during their on-location shoot, and I'm doing my best to avoid seeing any more of them after seeing what feels like a pretty massive spoiler. Even though I didn't really like the first film, I'm going to hold out hope that the sequel ends up winning me over.

After all, if we're going to be seeing Spider-Man films with this cast through at least 2018, I'd rather be excited about the films than dreading their release

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/sony-announces-dates-for-two-more-sequels-to-the-amazing-spider-man

Comments

• Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who else does sony own?
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A lot of villains for one movie.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Max. wrote: »
    Who else does sony own?

They had the movie rights for Ghost Rider but after 2 duds Marvel Studios managed to get them back. I wish Marvel Studios had the movie rights to Spider-Man. It's the only property of theirs I really want to see them handle besides X-Men & Fantastic Four because I know they will be the ones to finally do it justice on the big screen.

• iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well...spiderman won't be coming back to marvel for a while huh...sucks woulvd love to see DD spiderman and punisher in a movie together as well as it jus makes sense to see stark towers and spidey just swinging by
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Marvel Phase 2 would be epic with Spidey and the mutants / X Men
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yeah norman and harry will be in the next one but they won't be goblins yet . paul giamatti will be in it as well but he won't be in the rhino suit yet. he's just a dangerous and heavly armed Russian mobster nicknamed the rhino so the main focus will be Jaime fox as electro.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    Marvel Phase 2 would be epic with Spidey and the mutants / X Men
    Would be, but there's no way the studios will let go of spidey and x-men anytime soon. fantastic 4 has a chance just because it's not as big
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just wishh different studios coukd make movies about the characters and wouldnt need special rights
    But i likd the first one and lookin forward to this
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    yeah norman and harry will be in the next one but they won't be goblins yet . paul giamatti will be in it as well but he won't be in the rhino suit yet. he's just a dangerous and heavly armed Russian mobster nicknamed the rhino so the main focus will be Jaime fox as electro.

You sure about Rhino? I saw a clip of them filming the movie and he was wearing some in some contraption that made it seem it was for CGI.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You sure about Rhino? I saw a clip of them filming the movie and he was wearing some in some contraption that made it seem it was for CGI.

if that's the case they may be leading up to a sinister six movie. we already know gwen is going to die down the line so the goblins will definitely be appearing. I wan't see another marvel movie with kingpin as villain. maybe they could get butter bean to play his role.