Lord Stanley's Cup Appreciation

Options
Maximus Rex
Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2013 in From the Cheap Seats
7a333470000ba1bc488a16ca

I'm not a hockey fan, but I am a fan of the Stanley Cup. I don't care what your favorite sport is, you'd be hard pressed not to admit that Lord Stanley's Cup isn't the GOAT championship trophy. Unlike other championship trophies, The Stanley Cup gets an introduction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsJbmiNjg4c

Your name is engraved on it, only one trophy is used, and you get to "kick it," with the Stanley Cup. The each member of the winning team of the Stanley Cup Playoffs gets to keep the Cup for a day. Personally, I let the ? end up in ? movie, take it on safari and pose it next to a dead lion, take it to a nudey bar, or North Pole.

Other cool trophies are:

Reggie-Bush-Heisman-Trophy-REMOVED-From-USC.jpg

Did any of you ? who played Pop Warner, high school, or college football ever do a Heisman pose?

1.1253983355.borg-warner-trophy.jpg

The winner of the Indianapolis 500 gets his face on the Borg-Warner Trophy.

49ers-5.jpg

The Vince Lombardi Trophy is cool too, especially when you have hella of them.

Comments

• O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Prolly the only black man in the seats that watches hockey.

GO FLYERS !!!
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

GO FLYERS !!!

Nope, Blackhawks bringing the cup back home. I don't know why more people don't watch hockey, that ? exciting
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the stanley cup is dope. shoutout to thee red wings the best hockey franchise
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Boston 2 in 3 years
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man ? the Kings.

I'm still a mad Devils fan from last year.
  • peagle05
    peagle05 Members Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

GO FLYERS !!!
    nope
  • peagle05
    peagle05 Members Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

GO FLYERS !!!

Nope, Blackhawks bringing the cup back home. I don't know why more people don't watch hockey, that ? exciting

approval-people-clapping.gif
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

GO FLYERS !!!

I think it's because the vast majority of people in the U.S. don't play it. People who watch baseball, football, basketball, and yes even that wack ass soccer ? , have at one point in time played those sports on an organized level, be it in youth leagues or in school. ? in the U.S. didn't grow up playing ice hockey, so not only to they not have a frame of reference, they're not emotionally invested in the sport.

Couple that with the fact that NHL has done a horrible marketing a their brand. The NHL has been around for over 100 plus years, has storied franchises, an illustrious history, legendary players, the sport is fast paced, compelling and fun, but the NHL is recent years has just gotten a national T.V. deal? Really? Also, I think that with all of the youth sports hockey is the second or the most expensive to participate in, then you have to factor in the fact ice skating rinks aren't in abundance.

In the Eastbay there's only one ice skating rink for Contra Costa and Alameda counties. In New York City, there's Chelsea Piers, that one in Queens and maybe a few others, but then you run into the issue of skates, rink time, and equipment fees.

• O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

GO FLYERS !!!

I been on them in the 'offs bcuz that's were the money is, but I am a Flyers fan. Congrats on the cup yall bout to win tho.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Bruins and Hawks are going to a game 7. Im favoring the Bruins .
  • angrymaninc
    angrymaninc Members Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    Options
    ? THE BRUINS!!!!!! That is all...
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    ? BOSTON and all their sports teams, movies, actors, comedians and so on cuz thats a racist ass city with no black people!!!!!! That is all...
    Fixed
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    KingGivBiz wrote: »

Bruins in 6, we will win at home monday
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I like hockey like baseball: no attention span to watch that ? during a long-ass season (especially if other sports are on), but the playoffs get live, and I'll tune in.

That Flyers run back in 2010 was nice. I was for the first time watching hockey when dude from the Blackhawks ricoheted that ? in that OT, cup-clinching win in Game 6 in Philly. ? hurt.

BTW: Alexander Ovechin is EASILY on his way to Melo status...all that ? balling out during the regular-season and nothing but playoff chokes to show for it. At least Sid the Kid got a ring, hell I think two.
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Options

It's over for the Bruins, Kane, Hossa and Toews have finally woke up from their slump. Hawks winning in 6
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

GO FLYERS !!!

lol nah b i used to play and watch hockey and i the flyers been my squad since the whalers left my state lol

? BOSTON and all their sports teams, movies, actors, comedians and so on cuz thats a racist ass city with no black people!!!!!! That is all...
    Fixed

yes they secretly and publically racist as ? but if you live anywhere south of the mason dixion line those cities are more racist against blacks. there are still hella white folk that ? with brothas and aren't racist. hell the mostly white state elected a black govenor! ? georgia don't even have a black govenor and its supposed to have the hub of black folk.

• Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd be more into hockey if it wasn't such a religion here, it can be exciting but it's pretty much forced down your throat north of the border
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let's go Blackhawks tho, people still mourning over that Boston win first round
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

GO FLYERS !!!

I think it's because the vast majority of people in the U.S. don't play it. People who watch baseball, football, basketball, and yes even that wack ass soccer ? , have at one point in time played those sports on an organized level, be it in youth leagues or in school. ? in the U.S. didn't grow up playing ice hockey, so not only to they not have a frame of reference, they're not emotionally invested in the sport.

Couple that with the fact that NHL has done a horrible marketing a their brand. The NHL has been around for over 100 plus years, has storied franchises, an illustrious history, legendary players, the sport is fast paced, compelling and fun, but the NHL is recent years has just gotten a national T.V. deal? Really? Also, I think that with all of the youth sports hockey is the second or the most expensive to participate in, then you have to factor in the fact ice skating rinks aren't in abundance.

In the Eastbay there's only one ice skating rink for Contra Costa and Alameda counties. In New York City, there's Chelsea Piers, that one in Queens and maybe a few others, but then you run into the issue of skates, rink time, and equipment fees.

the bolded is spot on the majority of people white black blue purple or green in the united states simply don't play hockey. And the amount of black players in the NHL are rising to a rate that will possibly get to the same % of black people in the US period. I was born in raised in CT. I moved to the burbs when i was 5 and thats where my love for hockey began.

But just a town over in a popular northern hockey state most white people don't play hockey. Its all about what towns have hockey rinks closeby and fans of the niche sport. I am a huge hockey fan and still play pickup hockey a year out of college but even i prefer watching the NFL and NBA on TV. Now live hockey is dope as ? but on tv it doesn't translate well.

Hockey fans like kame points out ? up positive intrigue into the sport cause they can get napoleon syndrome and ? . They are insecure that the majority of The US doesn't like the sport. So they dog sports like basketball and football just cause they get more press. They also ? about why hockey isn't on ESPN when really has stepped up coverage of hockey recently its just not as much in demand. The highest stanley cup final games this year are in the 5's....the nba final is easily in the 15th on average and got a 17.something for game 7.

• its....JOHN B
    Options

It's over for the Bruins, Kane, Hossa and Toews have finally woke up from their slump. Hawks winning in 6

We had a defensive breakdown and it still took y'all overtime to win, you think Bergeron, Chara and Rask will have games that bad again? Especially after a couple days to make adjustments? I'm not a hockey expert but Boston is clearly better in every aspect of the game
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    Good to see hockey fans on this board tho. Real ? .
  • nickel-us P
    nickel-us P Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Been a hell of a series. With that said, Blackhawks takin this.
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Options
    1 more win and the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    1 more win and the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup

Captain obvious
  • angrymaninc
    angrymaninc Members Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Fixed

HAH!!!!!!!!!

(What's messed up is i used to live there & i still hate all Boston teams)

And yea they are a bunch o f racist ? too