"Google’s Chief Engineer: People Will Soon Upload Their Entire Brains To Computers"

cobbland
cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is This Our Future?
Google’s Chief Engineer: People Will Soon Upload Their Entire Brains To Computers

By RT

ray-kurzweil.si.jpg
Ray Kurzweil (AFP Photo / Gabriel Bouys)

There are around 377 million results on Google.com for the query “Can I live forever?” Ask that question to company’s top engineer, though, and you’re likely to hear an answer that’s much more concise.

Simply put, Google’s Ray Kurzweil says immortality is only a few years away. Digital immortality, at least.

Kurzweil, 64, was only brought on to Google late last year, but that hasn’t stopped him from making headlines already. During a conference in New York City last week, the company’s director of engineering said that the growth of biotechnology is so quickly paced that that he predicts our lives will be drastically different in just a few decades.

According to Kurzweil, humans will soon be able to upload their entire brains onto computers. After then, other advancements won’t be too far behind.

“The life expectancy was 20, 1,000 years ago,” Kurzweil said over the weekend at the Global Future 2045 World Congress in New York City, CNBC's Cadie Thompson reported. “We doubled it in 200 years. This will go into high gear within 10 and 20 years from now, probably less than 15, we will be reaching that tipping point where we add more time than has gone by because of scientific progress.”

"Somewhere between 10 and 20 years, there is going to be tremendous transformation of health and medicine," he said.

In his 2005 book “The Singularity Is Near,” Kurzweil predicted that ongoing achievements in biotechnology would mean that by the middle of the century, “humans will develop the means to instantly create new portions of ourselves, either biological or nonbiologicial,” so that people can have “a biological body at one time and not at another, then have it again, then change it.” He also said there will soon be “software-based humans” who will “live out on the Web, projecting bodies whenever they need or want them, including holographically projected bodies, foglet-projected bodies and physical bodies comprising nanobot swarms.”

Those nanobot swarms might still be a bit away, but given the vast capabilities already achieved since the publication of his book, Kurzweil said in New York last week that more and more of the human body will soon be synced up to computers, both for backing up our thoughts and to help stay in good health.

"There's already fantastic therapies to overcome heart disease, cancer and every other neurological disease based on this idea of reprogramming the software," Kurzweil at the conference. "These are all examples of treating biology as software. ...These technologies will be a 1,000 times more powerful than they were a decade ago. ...These will be 1,000 times more powerful by the end of the decade. And a million times more powerful in 20 years."

In “The Singularity Is Near,” Kurzweil acknowledged that Moore’s Law of Computer suggests that the power of computer doubles, on average, every two years. At that rate, he wrote, “We're going to become increasingly non-biological to the point where the non-biological part dominates and the biological part is not important anymore.

Based on conservative estimates of the amount of computation you need to functionally simulate a human brain, we'll be able to expand the scope of our intelligence a billion-fold,” The Daily Mail quoted Kurzweil.

Kurzweil joined Google in December 2012 and is a 1999 winner of the National Medal of Technology and Innovation. In the 1970s, Kurzweil was responsible for creating the first commercial text-to-speech synthesizer.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article35355.htm

Comments

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the future anybody who does this is a ? idiot.

download your brain into a computer and i'll upload a torture program that will make you suffer the following

a green troll will eat you alive, digest you, ? you out and eat you again or maybe i'll go old school and simply have you set on fire, the potential for torture would be endless with this technology.

• BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    zombie wrote: »

download your brain into a computer and i'll upload a torture program that will make you suffer the following

a green troll will eat you alive, digest you, ? you out and eat you again or maybe i'll go old school and simply have you set on fire, the potential for torture would be endless with this technology.

More evidence of your evil nature.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say we're still far away from this. It raises an interesting question though. Would "saving" your mind onto some kind of computer transfer your consciousness too? I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to bring up GitS. That's exactly where my mind went too. There was that one episode where a bunch of people downloaded their consciousnesses into a computer system and it was basically an eternal heaven for them.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    i cannot WAIT until i can have a ROM construct of myself
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Than in 2100 our bodies will be nanos. We would be unstoppable.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    but the question is can you download a women's brain?
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    loch121 wrote: »
    but the question is can you download a women's brain?

Yes, but not the illogical side, that cannot be translated into computers my friend. She will be here, but just logical. Kinda of like Ghost in the Shell.
  • Bong Water
    Bong Water Members Posts: 70 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    There are a few mapping projects going on for the brain and genome, so I can see eventually the ability to dub consciousness into a computer and then have a genetically modified sleeve/body and D/L you into it or maybe a ton of options to suit certain environments like deep sea.

http://www.humanconnectomeproject.org/
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kooky Kurzweil at it again I see....but NOooooo, there's no Conspiracy, Noooooo....
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? that. Theft of intellectual property would be crazy.
  • zombie
    BoldChild wrote: »

How am i evil, i was only pointing out the obvious abuses this technology will bring about.
  • LUClEN
    zombies are always evil.

Blame the Haitians.
  • zombie
    RodrigueZz wrote: »
    zombies are always evil.

Blame the Haitians.

But i'm jamaican
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BoldChild wrote: »

How am i evil, i was only pointing out the obvious abuses this technology will bring about.

It was jokes, cause I was thinking the same thing, it's why I posted the ghost in the shell song.
  • Misses.SupaUgly
    Misses.SupaUgly Members Posts: 2
    This is interesting
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    we could all live in the i.c.! think about it. no i.c. chick would be safe from me mwuhuhahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • WYRM
    WYRM Members Posts: 993 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Eventually it would all become public domain as there are not many original thoughts left in the pool. Technology, is what and how we evolved and this is a herald of things to come.
  • LUClEN
    zombies are always evil.

Blame the Haitians.

But i'm jamaican

Word. You guys eat good. But Haitians invented zombies.

? Wight wrote: »
    Eventually it would all become public domain as there are not many original thoughts left in the pool. Technology, is what and how we evolved and this is a herald of things to come.

Nonsense. There is so much left to be created.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with this is that, if you upload your brain, that's just your brain becoming a new store of knowledge or if it's a clone, it will be a new being, but it will not be you. Unless we can preserve our brains, we will not be able to truly exist in such a state because it will be other then what makes us, us. The brain can live on beyond the body, so i suggest we transfer our brains into clone bodies or super androids.
  • WYRM
    WYRM Members Posts: 993 ✭✭✭✭
    zombies are always evil.

Blame the Haitians.

But i'm jamaican

Word. You guys eat good. But Haitians invented zombies.

? Wight wrote: »

Nonsense. There is so much left to be created.

It's all just reinventing the wheel dawg. Look deeper, we are on repeat.
  • LUClEN
    So when we invent ways to travel to other solar systems it's just the wheel?

I get the idea but it oversimplifies the reality. It may be transportation but isn't just the wheel.

Reminds me of when someone in the reason Saif dj premier been making the same beat for 20 years
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This reminds me of the game "Remember Me"
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instead of dying and going to heaven we'll just be uploaded to googles "Server" where we with shift megabytes like slaves for eternity.
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can just see it now, ? gonna be catching trojans and worms from simulated sex