When Did Being Smart and Doing Well in School Start to be Considered "White?"

Options
Maximus Rex
Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2013 in The Social Lounge
With the exception of Malcolm, every major African American leader of the 20th Century was either graduated college, had post graduate degrees, or they held doctorates. W.E.B. Du Bois, George Washignton Craver, Booker T. Washington, Ralph Baunche, Dr. King, Jessie Jackson, and Huey Newton, and of course Thurgood Marshall, all of these men were not only academics and intellectuals, they're heroes to black people. My question is when did we start to associate pursuing scholarly endeavors, showing, participating, and most importantly EXCELLING in school with something that only whites did?

Comments

• bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good question.......

A lot of folks will say rap/gangster rap.......

Others will say Black Liberation.........

But, I think the answer is that it was always here in America..............

A part of the institution of slavery........

• NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    That whole ? is a myth, so probably when white people said so. I personally never experienced any shade for getting good grades, and neither did my parents, so I don't know where that came from. But I have heard about this myth in a couple of my classes, and I quickly corrected them on some that doesn't happen ? .

The closest thing I've witnessed is black kids telling other black kids you SOUND like a white girl/boy when you talk extra proper, but that's it.

We actually use to roast dudes who got bad grades or were in those slow classes, especially when we saw them doing greater than, less than problems in high school... LOL!
  • bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That whole ? is a myth, so probably when white people said so. I personally never experienced any shade for getting good grades, and neither did my parents, so I don't know where that came from. But I have heard about this myth in a couple of my classes, and I quickly corrected them on some that doesn't happen ? .

The closest thing I've witnessed is black kids telling other black kids you SOUND like a white girl/boy when you talk extra proper, but that's it.

We actually use to roast dudes who got bad grades or were in those slow classes, especially when we saw them doing greater than, less than problems in high school... LOL!

I'm an older head now..........

But, I have witnessed that ? in the hood/school............

Basically a disconnect from educational success/achievement............

On the basis of it being "white"........

• Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Really? You and your peer group were the exception and definitely not the rule, and it's not a myth but a horrible truth because the First Lady heard the same "myth."

Michelle Obama Says Too Many Black Kids Are Trying to be “Ballers” and Rappers

sdsdklsdkl.jpg

During her speech to the students at Bowie State University, first lady Michelle Obama gave a very clear message to the young people in attendance. The message was one that says that focusing on education is the key to being successful in the world.

“Be an example of excellence to the next generation,” she said.

Mrs. Obama said that even though millions of African Americans are now free to do as they choose, many of them are ignoring their educational opportunities, being carried away with what the media offers them.

“Today, more than 150 years after the Emancipation Proclamation, more than 50 years after the end of ‘separate but equal,’ when it comes to getting an education, too many of our young people just can’t be bothered,” she said.

“Today, instead of walking miles every day to school, they’re sitting on couches for hours, playing video games, watching TV. Instead of dreaming of being a teacher or a lawyer or a business leader, they’re fantasizing about being a baller or a rapper,” Obama kept going. “Right now, one in three African American students are dropping out of high school, only one in five African Americans between the ages of 25 and 29 has gotten a college degree.”

The first lady also told graduates that they need to let go of the notion that getting an education is the same as acting white.

She said, “reject the slander that a black child with a book is trying to act white.”

Will people listen to the first lady’s message?
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    “Today, instead of walking miles every day to school, they’re sitting on couches for hours, playing video games, watching TV. Instead of dreaming of being a teacher or a lawyer or a business leader, they’re fantasizing about being a baller or a rapper,” Obama kept going. “Right now, one in three African American students are dropping out of high school, only one in five African Americans between the ages of 25 and 29 has gotten a college degree.”

we can sit back and ? on our youth, but if the youth are astray, whos ? fault is it?

this is america, the the only celebrated images of black people by america as a whole are entertainers and or athletes. and on a grand scale, if u aren't one of those two, ur a criminal. thats just what it is. although im jaded to politics, i have much love and respect for the pres and his family for showing black dignity on an international level when its either some athletes ,entertainers, wars, or kids w/ flies on their face shown of us across the world when we are so much more than that.

but,as a race in america, we stopped proactively and collectively counteracting that imagry. these kids dont have tangible access to real success and constant guidance towards it. as i said several times, theres only so much inspirational stories and faith can do for a people. we talk all this education ? , but no one is around for them to witness the fruits of education. wheretheydothatat?

its like we're looking at a VERY simple equation, and for whatever reason expecting it to add up differently

now as far as "acting white" is concerned, ? like that is reserved for those who cannot socially maneuver through their peers as a peer for whatever reason. this is the internet so these kinda arguments always pick up steam (which goes to show what kind of people the internet is comprised of) but wtf happened to getting in where u fit in? theres all kinds of ? in black communities. if u cant fit in anywhere than thats yo bad.look in the mirror

and people dont get bullied for "acting white" or being a ? or for any other reason.people get bullied for being a ? .
  • Well Got Dam
    Well Got Dam Members Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? need better black role models
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    probably somewhere around the time the "real ? " movement started
  • Paul Hate.
    Paul Hate. Members Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I only literally seen ? crash down on nerds a few times..it's a studious ? personality that gets em in trouble.
  • Paul Hate.
    Options
    Success in general is seen as selling out tho..by ? .
  • NothingButTheTruth
    edited June 2013
    Options

Really? You and your peer group were the exception and definitely not the rule, and it's not a myth but a horrible truth because the First Lady heard the same "myth."

Michelle Obama Says Too Many Black Kids Are Trying to be “Ballers” and Rappers

During her speech to the students at Bowie State University, first lady Michelle Obama gave a very clear message to the young people in attendance. The message was one that says that focusing on education is the key to being successful in the world.

“Be an example of excellence to the next generation,” she said.

Mrs. Obama said that even though millions of African Americans are now free to do as they choose, many of them are ignoring their educational opportunities, being carried away with what the media offers them.

“Today, more than 150 years after the Emancipation Proclamation, more than 50 years after the end of ‘separate but equal,’ when it comes to getting an education, too many of our young people just can’t be bothered,” she said.

The first lady also told graduates that they need to let go of the notion that getting an education is the same as acting white.

She said, “reject the slander that a black child with a book is trying to act white.”

Will people listen to the first lady’s message?

First off, people like Michelle are removed from the real world, so I wouldn't look to her for advice. Her tone is the reason why the younger generation will just wave her off. She's ignoring how broken the school system is (wack teachers, lack of materials etc.), she's ignoring the cost of tuition, she's ignoring racism etc. Second, education is not equal to school like she's making it out to be.

... Btw what's the problem with these young leaders trying to be in the entertainment business? Being a rapper is similar to being a businessman. Those guys are selling a product, and investing their own money and time to make sure that their product sells so they can feed their family. They're essentially making something out of nothing aka entrepreneurship. Those jobs actually take WAY more sacrifice and hard work than any other standard job.

... On topic, that ? is a myth or a very rare situation. It's definitely not even close to being common, like you're making it out to be. It doesn't even make sense to connect education with white, and I have personally NEVER heard it in that manner, EVER. Especially since that statement doesn't make a lick of sense.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    ... Btw what's the problem with these young leaders trying to be in the entertainment business? Being a rapper is similar to being a businessman.
    the difference is someone who studies business is more likely to have a solid career and a stable future. it's better to encourage kids to study for non-entertainment careers.

not an indictment of anyone who really wants to make it happen, but some realism is always nice

• cannonspike1994
    cannonspike1994 Members Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It never did even when i was in the hood for a short time i always got praised for being smart.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MODS... please sticky this thread so it doesn't have to get made every 6 months.
  • spiritgod87
    spiritgod87 Members Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There are plenty of black students that dont lool it, but they are smarter than you think. Nicki minaj type ? in the hood wit 4 .0s. I done seen it
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

what world you live in?

its not a myth, especially for black males, when we do well in school its seen as "acting white" or "not really being black" or the fact that we get good grades is seen as a surprise to some. maybe you were fortunate enough to be in a situation where you never experienced this
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People used to say that I 'acted white' in school quite a bit. I spoke really well and listened to music considered weird. Didn't help that I typed properly in MSN, not the 'u kl bbz' ? that ? flung out.

• Batman.
    Batman. Members Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm a mixed Asian but I can't identify with some of the black people I know.

Most of my friends are Asian, so I chill with them. Some black people say I act white, like how do you want me to act? Ignorant?

? is confusing to me, I just want to be the best I can be. I guess it's the dilemma of every mixed race child ever born.
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Being smart started being associated with Whites when African Americans started making money off of ignorance. When rap, movies and tv shows (what up, Tyler Perry!), and athletics took precedence over scholarly endeavors it made excelling in school seem far fetched. Ironically, it's easier to become a surgeon or corporate lawyer than it is to make it to a professional league, be in a big budget movie, or be a platinum selling rapper but ? logic is a powerful tool I suppose.
  • rantanamo
    rantanamo Members Posts: 79 ✭✭
    Options
    I heard other black kids say I acted white because I spoke proper English and was in the "white" classes(meaning ib program). I also played baseball and had on my baseball jacket when I heard the comment. I remember my sister crying about some kids calling her an oreo. This was back in the late 80s/early 90s. So nothing new.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Batman. wrote: »
    I'm a mixed Asian but I can't identify with some of the black people I know.

Most of my friends are Asian, so I chill with them. Some black people say I act white, like how do you want me to act? Ignorant?

? is confusing to me, I just want to be the best I can be. I guess it's the dilemma of every mixed race child ever born.

I thought you were white, but Batman has been looking asian in the comics as of late. So....I don't know.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's when Black Americans gave up on the concept of education and the destruction of the black panthers was afoot. It's funny because Malcolm X and the black panthers were educated and especially the black panthers who were all college graduates for the most part and value educating their people. Malcolm X would be considered of talking white by his constant educating and revaluing his ethics and morals and reasoning.

We need to get rid of this acting white when it comes to education and wisdom. Acting white is stealing, creating gangs, robbing people, strong arming them to accept their religion and making a mockery of the religious texts, murder, the love of guns, constant fear mongering, and etc. That's really acting white.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    ... Btw what's the problem with these young leaders trying to be in the entertainment business? Being a rapper is similar to being a businessman.
    the difference is someone who studies business is more likely to have a solid career and a stable future. it's better to encourage kids to study for non-entertainment careers.

not an indictment of anyone who really wants to make it happen, but some realism is always nice

High risk, high reward, low risk, low reward. Let those kids live out their dreams. Doing the whole 9 to 5 ? as a black person doesn't work out to well due to racism, politics etc. For the majority of black people, their peak is a low 6-figure salary, which is wack as ? ! Not to mention, you usually don't get promoted to that level until you have 15, 20 years experience SMH.

The only way you can really make real money is if you start your own ? in which the easiest path is usually the entertainment business.

Also, you can ALWAYS fall back on that wackass 9 to 5 life, so it makes sense to try to live out your dreams first and foremost.

what world you live in?

its not a myth, especially for black males, when we do well in school its seen as "acting white" or "not really being black" or the fact that we get good grades is seen as a surprise to some. maybe you were fortunate enough to be in a situation where you never experienced this

The real world. That ? is a myth dun. No one I know has EVER experienced that ? .
  • NothingButTheTruth
    edited July 2013
    Options
    People used to say that I 'acted white' in school quite a bit. I spoke really well and listened to music considered weird. Didn't help that I typed properly in MSN, not the 'u kl bbz' ? that ? flung out.

I would say that too. It's more of a joke kind of thing. If you're listening to white people music, then yes I'm going to make fun of you and say you're acting like a white boy. If you dress like a white dude, then yes, there will be a roast session.

If you speak extra nerdy, then yes you're going to get made fun of.

... This ? has NOTHING to do with getting good grades. It's just you getting made fun of, because of the choices you made.
    rantanamo wrote: »
    I heard other black kids say I acted white because I spoke proper English and was in the "white" classes(meaning ib program). I also played baseball and had on my baseball jacket when I heard the comment. I remember my sister crying about some kids calling her an oreo. This was back in the late 80s/early 90s. So nothing new.

Speaking proper English = speaking extra nerdy pronouncing the -ers with enthusiasm and ? . Yes, you're going to get made fun of because of that. It sounds weird when ANYONE speaks like that.

Playing baseball over every other sport is going to be seen as white boy ? , but it's nothing more than a joke.

The AP classes and Honor classes comment is ? . I took every honors class there was (which made college a breeze) and no one said anything about it.

Tbh I think a lot of y'all got made fun of because you were just geeks. Your gear wasn't right and you had visible low self-esteem. I did all of these things y'all did, but no one said ? . Like I said earlier, I use to make fun of ? dudes who had easy ass homework.

It probably helped, that I was one of the flyest mofos in the school, Ioved everything about hip-hop and it showed etc. so I blended in with all my people, but I was always at the top of my class.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited July 2013
    Options
    It's not a rejection of education so much as it is a rejection of things deemed or associated with white folks. Notice when someone gets teased for speaking proper English it's never "Why do you speak proper" it's "You sound white." To some, being book smart and sounding a certain way is embracing white culture, the white way of doing things. White folks say the way to "make it" is to go to school, get educated etc. and some folks will reject anything from white culture so in turn they reject education too and ridicule those who pursue it because in their minds they're doing it the "White" way.
  • Paul Hate.
    Options
    This is b.s. sounds to me like you cats acted a certain way an we're called Oreos or white washed because of that not cuz u were studious people.

If you talk like a white boy or have traditionally white hobbies like surfing or NASCAR ? like that people might say that.

I rarely seen a smart black kid get bullied over being smart,now an Oreo being an Oreo or a weirdo being a weirdo is something else.