When Did Being Smart and Doing Well in School Start to be Considered "White?"

Options
13»

Comments

• luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have seen many educated blacks pursue many different degrees of education and monetary achievements where nobody associated or claimed they were trying to be white. I think it is your influence and the persona you give off. The same way people know if you wanna be Tupac or if you're trying to act like Nicki Minaj or where a mohawk for trend and skinny jeans. People can read you. Sometimes they're right sometimes that person is confusing and might get called out for traits they resemble but once you get to know them you realize their traits can be misleading.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    luke1733 wrote: »
    I have seen many educated blacks pursue many different degrees of education and monetary achievements where nobody associated or claimed they were trying to be white. I think it is your influence and the persona you give off. The same way people know if you wanna be Tupac or if you're trying to act like Nicki Minaj or where a mohawk for trend and skinny jeans. People can read you. Sometimes they're right sometimes that person is confusing and might get called out for traits they resemble but once you get to know them you realize their traits can be misleading.

Wearing slim jeans isn't white. We did it in the 80s and we did it different like we do it different now. White folks can't keep up with black fashion even with skinny jeans. ? , we even do Mohawks better then them (which is native American and even African rather then white) I get you were saying they do it for trend but i guess i'm that guy who would like to point out that others do it just because they actually like the way it looks.
  • luke1733
    Options
    Yeah, that's what I was saying on that part. I was only saying people can read each other's trends. I wasn't saying mohawks or skinny jeans were white, I was only comparing how people can read your clothing style and the trends that person is following the same type of way, that on a different front, people can also read when a black person is identifying with popular white culture or when a white person identifies with black ideals. I still remember those break dancing movies in the 80's and the colored socks and stonewashes with jerry-curls, Mr-T and the Braves.
  • luke1733
    Options
    I hear a lot of people say when they were growing up they were told they were talking white. Many of these people who say they were accused of this, say this arrogantly as though blacks were talking about speaking properly to them. Many do not understand because of different reasons and some due to arrogance and not being willing to hear what blacks (most often the children that accused other blacks of speaking this way were children that lacked the skills to explain exactly what they were identifying) were saying--which was they were not only referring to the proper speech. Blacks were referring often to the points I stated earlier which was the culture of that person's speech was foreign and most often found in white culture, specifically the nasal tone, the way a person walked, the beliefs projected, the metaphors and other ways that person used to identify or express themselves with, the music or television shows, the slang was coming from White culture. Whites have culture the same way that blacks have culture and sometimes ours intertwine, but it would be foolish to not recognize it.
  • luke1733
    Options
    My only point is to not confuse what people were saying.Pursuing education in the black community has not been considered trying to be white by black people in the black community (now as for what some black media pundits who were teased for identifying with whites when they were growing up and use their platform to say things like "they were teased for trying to pursue an education" for being white; this is what I'm referring to.) Only people that can say this are people that didn't go to black schools growing up and don't know of how many black colleges and universities there are in the country. There's a difference between identifying and expressing white culture and preferring that culture and labeling that as white than noticing someone is pursuing an education. To even have to try to explain this is crazy, and it's usually on those that never understood why people said "they were talking white" that truly continue to say "blacks equate higher education and speaking properly with trying to be white."
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    ? , we even do Mohawks better then them (which is native American and even African rather then white)
    i don't know, i think it was a white guy that rocked the most iconic one

really, though, mohawks are just kind of ridiculous no matter what your race is

• Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    ? , we even do Mohawks better then them (which is native American and even African rather then white)
    i don't know, i think it was a white guy that rocked the most iconic one

really, though, mohawks are just kind of ridiculous no matter what your race is

Nope. That would be Mr T. I've seen some nicely done Mohawks, but you're right, for the most part they look silly when done wrong.

Mr-T.jpg
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Nope. That would be Mr T.
    going to have to disagree on this one
    trav-bickle.jpg