The IC Beatmaking/Producing Thread

Comments

• StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are MPCs worth it in 2013 over Maschine, DAWs and MPDs?
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I owned an MPC once

sold it. Daws can do way more imo.
  • bkkbully
    bkkbully Members Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    heres my latest song. written, produced, & mixed by myself

& the music video for it lol...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EzGh9E-Kus
  • bkkbully
    top 10

DJ Quik
    Dilla
    DJ Shadow
    Madlib
    Just Blaze
    The Neptunes
    Prince Paul
    Preemo
    Battlecat
    Dre
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    So IC producers, what ? y'all using? I'm tryna get ahold of a maschine before I head to college in the fall

right now for me just a macbook (garageband) and beats by dre ... lol ... im working on buying a house as soon as i do that i plan on stocking out the studio ;)

• antarticp
    bkkbully wrote: »

i expect to see you on the next episode of deon coles black box lol

good ? ? but the visuals is mad wild in this video lol

whats the concept ?? yall blocked eyes out and ? lol and then the location ... ? is kind of out there lol
  • Brian B.
    Brian B. Members Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So IC producers, what ? y'all using? I'm tryna get ahold of a maschine before I head to college in the fall

Str8 FL lol

one of my latest creations

https://soundcloud.com/brianb423/all-night-beat-by-brian-b

• nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nuendo 4 + Reason 5
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on how you work.

An MPC isn't tied to a computer. Sometimes you just might not feel like ? around with a computer at all when you're making music. I know I sometime wish I had an ASR-X strictly for making hip hop joints and honestly, I just might buy one in a few months if I can find the right one.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's everybody technique & steps when making a beat?
  • antarticp

Depends on how you work.

An MPC isn't tied to a computer. Sometimes you just might not feel like ? around with a computer at all when you're making music. I know I sometime wish I had an ASR-X strictly for making hip hop joints and honestly, I just might buy one in a few months if I can find the right one.

but with a computer you can get the usb compatible hardware if you dont like using a pc ... just use my pc to edit i have an m-audio usb keyboard to do my notes ... they even have one that looks just like an mpc .... and ? if you savy enuff you can connect you mpc to the computer software as well ........
  • konceptjones
    antarticp wrote: »

Depends on how you work.

but with a computer you can get the usb compatible hardware if you dont like using a pc ... just use my pc to edit i have an m-audio usb keyboard to do my notes ... they even have one that looks just like an mpc .... and ? if you savy enuff you can connect you mpc to the computer software as well ........

That's the problem for some people: That the controller is tied to a PC/Mac at all is something some cats don't always want.

Give you an example: There have been times when I was riding the bus where I just wanted to pull out the Axiom Air 32 and ? with some beats, but because the controller does nothing without the software, this is not possible. Right now, if you want to make beats on the go without a PC/Mac, your only real option is the MPC500, which is battery powered. The limitation, though, is that it's still a drum/sample/sequencing machine. If you're the type of producer that uses more instrumentation, you're pretty much ? . You have no choice but to lug around a laptop and controller for on-the-go creation.
  • bkkbully
    bkkbully wrote: »

i expect to see you on the next episode of deon coles black box lol

good ? ? but the visuals is mad wild in this video lol

whats the concept ?? yall blocked eyes out and ? lol and then the location ... ? is kind of out there lol

thanks for the feedback man. appreciate that. lol yeah the visuals are a litttle bit out there.
  • nyst8ofmin
    nyst8ofmin Members Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mpc's, maschine, reason, fruityloops all essentially do the same thing. its just a matter of what your comfortable on. ive been using mpc's since 2004 and just recently got the maschine. i cant seem to wrap my head around software. but its all preference
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on how you work.

That's the problem for some people: That the controller is tied to a PC/Mac at all is something some cats don't always want.

Give you an example: There have been times when I was riding the bus where I just wanted to pull out the Axiom Air 32 and ? with some beats, but because the controller does nothing without the software, this is not possible. Right now, if you want to make beats on the go without a PC/Mac, your only real option is the MPC500, which is battery powered. The limitation, though, is that it's still a drum/sample/sequencing machine. If you're the type of producer that uses more instrumentation, you're pretty much ? . You have no choice but to lug around a laptop and controller for on-the-go creation.

I don't necessarily need a controller for my programs (FL, Reason). I can use the keyboard to play the notes. Some of my best beats were made on the train on my way to work.
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my latest songs (I had it in my sig before, but I re-recorded and mixed it). Also worked on this beat on the train.

• bdbdbd
    bdbdbd Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bdbdbd wrote: »
    good thread man...i love the I.C. but hate that there is producer forum doesnt really get no shine.

7 producers i love

Dilla (number 1) - as the saying goes, "he is your favourites producer, favourite producer".....dude has made many classics, some of which you might have loved, that you probably didnt even know were made by him. Dude reinvented hiphop production, had his own sound, so unique but so familiar...the fusion of so many different genres, his ear for dope samples wether they came from rock, soul, jazz, synth sounds, etc...his ability to compose, and the amount of producers he inspired...i swear i could talk about J-dilla all day. ? dope.

Premier - goes without saying....a pioneer...created some dope cuts. The simple "boom bap" sound, always had your head nodding and sometimes you didnt even know why ? it was just a 2wo bar loop you were hearing. He could flip a sample like no other, was emulated by many but matched by none. linked with some of the greatest artists in hiphophistory, made some careers also....He may not get the appreciation he deserves due to the different direction of "hiphop" amongst the younger generation, but anyone that truely knows hiphop will atleast appreciate his talent.

Timbaland - before he linked up with timberlake dude was a beast....i mean the ? he made for J.T. and even nelly furtardo (however you spell her name)....? was dope from a musical point of view but the overall songs wernet what i wanted to hear. anyway...all timbaland and magoo albums were dope (production wise), everything he did for jigga, missy, aaliyah, ginuwine...you know the list.....an originator.....always been one of my favs...nowadays if i see his name attached to something i will give it a miss, but i have all his old ? on constant rotation.

Dr. Dre - what is a producers list without Dre...this guy created 3 epic eras in hiphop....the NWA phase, the Deathrow Phase, and then the Aftermath phase.....all three have been important milestones in hiphop and all three he was spearheading. thats all that needs to be said about him.

Alchemist - Gritty, grimey, hood, simple...one of my main influences....not necessarily soundwise but moreso because of his simplicity was effective....from his work with Mobb Deep, dilated peoples, infamous mobb, his own ? ....i swear his ? is the definition of grimey.

Madlib - this dude is a ? enigma wrapped in a riddle. from his multi-personalities, to his weird off kilter rapping, to his dope ? sample selections, his style will never be understood...sometimes he pushes the envelope a lil too far for my liking, but thats also why i like him....? he aint scared to try something different. plus he has got some classic joints out there and some unknown joints that should be classic bt people just dont know.

Exile - "Below The Heavens" and "Boy Meets World"...all i need to say...if you dont know get to know

oh organized noise and DOOM.....cant be bothered to write an explanation fo them though ? my high is dying off thinking of all these words

i havent named them all but im getting bored of writing

Damn forgot about black milk and RZA....these two make it up in my top 5 also.....damn its hard to name a top ten in order

started off with the fruity loops.

then moved to cubase

banged out the mpc2000xl for a couple years

then then combined the MPC with logic for about 5 years.

then sidestepped to ableton, ? the workflow is so much smoother....though the overall sonic quality i find isnt that great....nothing that cant be fixed with some quality processing,

now im still using ableton, combined with a launchpad ( i love that it has 64 pads ? i like to chop my samples up into tiny little pieces), got the focusrite saffire pro audio interface, and an oxygen49 midi controller, and some TR8 monitors.

oh and my imagination
  • Kellmill
    Kellmill Members, Writer Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always wanted to dip into producing but don't really know how to get started. How did yall start?
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i also just use FL Studio to make beats, was thinking about looking into some other DAW's tho
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on how you work.

There are controllers like the Akai MPK Mini (pads & keys) for example, that are the same size as laptops. Perfect for on-the-go creation. Another dope thing about controllers is that they are USB powered so all you gotta do is just plug that into the usb port to operate. No need to plug it into an outlet.
  • bdbdbd
    bdbdbd Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kellmill wrote: »
    Always wanted to dip into producing but don't really know how to get started. How did yall start?

moms bought me a cheap casio keyboard for my birthday for some reason (never once said i wanted that ? ), it had 5 recordable tracks on it. No loop function, no quantize, nothing....if i wanted to record a 64 bar drum pattern, i had to literally play the whole 64 bars....and ? there was only 5 tracks, i couldnt track out a snare on one track a kick on another and a hihat on the third, ? id only have two tracks left to record on for that song .....
    i had to learn how to play that ? all at once on one track.

thats why i think i have a good understanding of rhythm, ? i not to sound cliche but i learned how to do that ? from the basics...or atleast the basics of my generation.

anyone looking to get into production now has it easy ? you dont need to learn about rhythm, on the spot arrangement, live effects and and ? , you can just use your mouse to plot in drum patterns, melody lines, bass lines, etc, you got that automation to do everything..... and i say that but even I after all my learning have become lazy ? ableton allows me to do all that ? without actually doing it.
    and im also not knocking producers of this generation (up and coming or certified) ? there is some banging production happening right now.

my main advice is to learn the core basics of the genre you want to be a part of and then work from there...wether that means getting a casio keyboard with only 5 tracks, or using a maschine but learning that ? inside out....step by step, lil by lil.

also there is nothing wrong with recreating your favourite tracks...? thats how you get an understanding for how the greats do it and then incorporating that method into your own workflow.

just my opinion

• T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    What's everybody technique & steps when making a beat?

*snoop dogg voice* The reason ain't got love nh for T. Sanford?
  • konceptjones
    RaySwift wrote: »

Depends on how you work.

There are controllers like the Akai MPK Mini (pads & keys) for example, that are the same size as laptops. Perfect for on-the-go creation. Another dope thing about controllers is that they are USB powered so all you gotta do is just plug that into the usb port to operate. No need to plug it into an outlet.

My Axiom Air 32 is one of those controllers. The problem is that you also have to drag out the laptop in order to use it. When I'm here at the office in the lunch room it's not a problem, I have plenty of space at a table. But on the freight? Nah, I tried and the ? was ? . Laptop on my bag, controller in my lap, always worrying about the laptop flying around if the driver hit the brakes suddenly... Too much of a hassle.

If you're a sample-based producer, an MPC500 would be a godsend for situations like that.
  • r.prince18
    r.prince18 Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just started making beats but here one i just made
    -clap
  • G.Avant
    G.Avant Members, Writer Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kellmill wrote: »

My friend was making beats and gave me a cracked fl studio lol, he taught me the basics and then I just learned from experience. I remember when I first started I didn't even know that you could use sounds other than the stock sounds with fl studio to make beats, this is when I figured out how to find sample kits, drum kits etc. There's no doubt that I have talent for this ? , but now it's time for me to learn the more technical side dealing with music theory and the mixing and mastering process. It's definitely good to have the ability to just go off of ear like I started out, but the rules need to be learned to be legit.