Sony Sacrificed the PlayStation 4 Camera to Beat Microsoft on Price

Options

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    ^ That just looks like glorified augmented reality to me. Theres too much smoke and mirrors to understand whats really happening. We know a robot is not going to pop out of the PS4 and start flying around us in 3D space and lighting our hair on fire, so I still don't know exactly what Eye does. I didn't see anything in that video on the level of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bydLSVVuaRM

Well I agree with you about that demo and the general lack of information coming out about the Eye 2. But honestly, the only thing stopping the original Eye from doing what the Kinect does was the lack of depth perception. The fact that they added another cam gives them that functionality. So there is no question the Eye 2 will be able to track player motion and all that the same way the Kinect does. Will it be as good at that as the Kinect, who knows at this point?

The thing I think Move in general has over Kinect is the integration of the Move controller and now DS4. Kinect's selling point is that it makes your body the controller, and that's good for certain kinds of games. If you're into those dancing games, then yeah, not having a controller is superior to having to lug one around. But if you're trying to use the motion control scheme for more conventional types of games like First Person Shooters or games like Skyrim, then having the Move controller is actually better because it has buttons on it that will allow you to control other aspects of the game such as movement, special moves, or menu options. I'm not really sure how you would pull such games off with the Kinect, though admittedly I'm not all that familiar with the Kinect.

From a gaming standpoint, if the new Move setup can provide the voice integration, some Kinect style body control, and the controller integration, I think it would be all around better for gaming than the Kinect 2 even if the Kinect 2 happens to be superior from a tech standpoint. But again, Sony hasn't really offered a good enough demo of the Move in action to say one way or the other.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^ That just looks like glorified augmented reality to me. Theres too much smoke and mirrors to understand whats really happening. We know a robot is not going to pop out of the PS4 and start flying around us in 3D space and lighting our hair on fire, so I still don't know exactly what Eye does. I didn't see anything in that video on the level of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bydLSVVuaRM

Well I agree with you about that demo and the general lack of information coming out about the Eye 2. But honestly, the only thing stopping the original Eye from doing what the Kinect does was the lack of depth perception. The fact that they added another cam gives them that functionality. So there is no question the Eye 2 will be able to track player motion and all that the same way the Kinect does. Will it be as good at that as the Kinect, who knows at this point?

The thing I think Move in general has over Kinect is the integration of the Move controller and now DS4. Kinect's selling point is that it makes your body the controller, and that's good for certain kinds of games. If you're into those dancing games, then yeah, not having a controller is superior to having to lug one around. But if you're trying to use the motion control scheme for more conventional types of games like First Person Shooters or games like Skyrim, then having the Move controller is actually better because it has buttons on it that will allow you to control other aspects of the game such as movement, special moves, or menu options. I'm not really sure how you would pull such games off with the Kinect, though admittedly I'm not all that familiar with the Kinect.

From a gaming standpoint, if the new Move setup can provide the voice integration, some Kinect style body control, and the controller integration, I think it would be all around better for gaming than the Kinect 2 even if the Kinect 2 happens to be superior from a tech standpoint. But again, Sony hasn't really offered a good enough demo of the Move in action to say one way or the other.

There are few more things the kinect can do that the eye can't. Not just depth perception.
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I didn't say that that alone lets the Eye do everything Kinect does, but it would let the Eye map a person onto the gaming world and use his/her body "as the controller" without any additional peripherals. That was the major selling point of the original Kinect.

As for how the Eye 2 compares to the Kinect 2, none of us can say that, because the Eye 2's capabilities have not been put on display to the same degree as the Kinect 2's. That said, a safe speculation is that the Move 2 will be a combination of the original Kinect and the original Move. Whether that's good or bad, I don't know.
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Wish both companies wouldn't* include wack ? like cameras and headphones in the box.

PUT A SECOND ? CONTROLLER IN THERE.

Seriously, when's the last time a console came standard with two controllers? SNES/Genesis? It's amazing to think a boardroom full of people would sit there and think, "Hmm, know what'd be hot for consumers? A camera! With motion controls!"

? that. I've got a Galaxy S4 with enough of that ? .
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KNiGHTS wrote: »
    Wish both companies would include wack ? like cameras and headphones in the box.

PUT A SECOND ? CONTROLLER IN THERE.

Seriously, when's the last time a console came standard with two controllers? SNES/Genesis? It's amazing to think a boardroom full of people would sit there and think, "Hmm, know what'd be hot for consumers? A camera! With motion controls!"

? that. I've got a Galaxy S4 with enough of that ? .

Was about to say that
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Really? We comparing cell phone cameras to Kinect now? Ok.
  • joshuaboy
    Options

S4 motion sensor recognises black people
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited June 2013
    Options
    A better demo of the PS4 Eye stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvpCdtjTrAo

I could care less about any of it, but it does look pretty cool.

I am interested in the app for phones though. If it let's you pair your phone with the PS4 so that you can play music from your phone through the PS4 or project the screen from your phone onto your TV using the PS4, that would be cool.
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not really but my use for a second controller far outstrips my need for a Kinect 2 or Eye 2.
  • PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Motion control is dying ......Lmao they should have never gave u ? internet..
    lol beat me to it. Some of the people in this section have become jokes bruh.
  • focus
    edited June 2013
    Options
    KNiGHTS wrote: »

Not really but my use for a second controller far outstrips my need for a Kinect 2 or Eye 2.

But they took out second controllers way back in like 1994 so that's just really a moot point.
  • focus
    Options

If Eye 2 admittedly looks "pretty cool" (to you), then why do you have to "care less" about it? So you defending it in this thread...because you don't care about it at all? Just so you can save face for Sony making this dumb decision that is effectively sending Eye 2 to die, and to keep some imaginary gaming cred based on the past? See how torn they got you?

I'm defending Kinect 2.0 cause I think its interesting, innovative tech with a lot of possibilities for gaming that I want to use and that I know for sure Microsoft is putting support behind. Period.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

If Eye 2 admittedly looks "pretty cool" (to you), then why do you have to "care less" about it? So you defending it in this thread...because you don't care about it at all? Just so you can save face for Sony making this dumb decision that is effectively sending Eye 2 to die, and to keep some imaginary gaming cred based on the past? See how torn they got you?

I'm defending Kinect 2.0 cause I think its interesting, innovative tech with a lot of possibilities for gaming that I want to use and that I know for sure Microsoft is putting support behind. Period.

Uhhh, I think you have me confused with you. I'm not defending anything, nor do I feel the need to defend Sony or the PS4. I'm stating facts. Someone said that the Eye 2 was an afterthought. I pointed out that it wasn't, and that relegating it to a secondary peripheral was a last minute decision. Someone said that the Eye 2 wasn't really much of an improvement over the Eye and that Sony hadn't spoke on it at all. I simply provided the information about it that was available and proves that it is a pretty substantial jump over the Eye (although apparently still a far cry from Kinect 2).

There is nothing to defend. People who like motion control games can still get the Eye 2 at launch. It's just not included in the native package, but you can bet Best Buy, Walmart, and other stores like that will have their own bundles that include it. And I fully expect Sony to release a Move oriented bundle. I already showed that they had something like that in mind. Dropping the Eye 2 from the standard package was really nothing but a publicity move. Sony has plenty of time between now and when the PS4 drops to push the Eye 2 and those that want it will get it. Those like myself who have not interest in it won't and can save that money. So no, it wasn't a dumb decision. Was it a good decision? I don't know. We'll see.
  • focus
    edited June 2013
    Options
    So once again, the bolded...and you still defending it. You right about one thing, you do have me confused.

• vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    major pain wrote: »
    Just because they sold them.. doesnt mean people are using that ? . I know plenty of people that got the Kinect and played with it a few times, then unplugged the ? out that ? .

Then buy it? people must be using it to a certain point it makes no sense to buy something and not use it
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nobody is interested on kinect because nobody has played an epic kinect game yet.

Now every one will have one we should start seeing some great games.

Whilst ps4 users will be dancing with eachother waving their glowin ? around.
  • joshuaboy
    Options
    Just because they sold them.. doesnt mean people are using that ? . I know plenty of people that got the Kinect and played with it a few times, then unplugged the ? out that ? .

Then buy it? people must be using it to a certain point it makes no sense to buy something and not use it

No, people buy it because its new and seems interesting, try it out for a few days, then go back to regular and forget about it. Kinects and Move were bundled with systems so it was an easy seller. I went back to regular gaming after a day. Even ordered the gun and played with it a few times then put it away for good.

Edit: I actually took the gun out the box yesterday .................. but not for anything gaming related @Vibe can attest. lol
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »
    Nobody is interested on kinect because nobody has played an epic kinect game yet.

Now every one will have one we should start seeing some great games.

Whilst ps4 users will be dancing with eachother waving their glowin ? around.

Star wars Kinect was pretty dope...made me see the potential of the Kinect...
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    So once again, the bolded...and you still defending it. You right about one thing, you do have me confused.

So the concept of seeing potential in something while still not being particularly interested in it is a foreign concept to you huh? Gotcha.
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

joshuaboy wrote: »

No, people buy it because its new and seems interesting, try it out for a few days, then go back to regular and forget about it. Kinects and Move were bundled with systems so it was an easy seller. I went back to regular gaming after a day. Even ordered the gun and played with it a few times then put it away for good.

Edit: I actually took the gun out the box yesterday .................. but not for anything gaming related @Vibe can attest. lol

Thank you.

Didnt think the concept was that hard to grasp.
  • kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    any new word on ilumi-room? i can get down with some AR... ? this "3D" ?
  • kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol duh they wont ship the console with 2 controllers... they want ur monkey ass to go spend the same amount as a new game for them... just to play with ? in yo own house! lmao .. u better get back online !!
  • joshuaboy
    Options
    kanggoodie wrote: »
    lol duh they wont ship the console with 2 controllers... they want ur monkey ass to go spend the same amount as a new game for them... just to play with ? in yo own house! lmao .. u better get back online !!

or to have a second for when one needs charging

• The Lonious Monk
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    kanggoodie wrote: »

or to have a second for when one needs charging

Well that's not as big a deal now that the controller can be charged when the system is not on.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^
    Is that confirmed?