I listened to Yeezus 10 days later.. My Review.

Options

Comments

• Lebong James
    Lebong James Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Respect the effort, don't like the end result
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    garbache album period
  • oatmealdude
    oatmealdude Members Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    goldenja wrote: »
    @bbkg79

I say this album wasn't "genius" or "ahead of his time" is because, well, that's how I felt about Late Registration. And Yeezus didn't make me feel that way, at all.

I thought it was unorganized because, I personally felt like some of the tracks were in the wrong places. By that I mean it didn't flow right to me. It was kind of a hard pill to swallow.. And what I'm hearing, it was last second because Rick Rubin did some last second tweaking or something. Am I right?

With all that said I don't HATE Kanye by any means. this album was just not impressive.

Hope I broke it down for good enough man.

Ok so how would you approach track placement to make it flow better if you had to rearrange it ?
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @bbkg79

I say this album wasn't "genius" or "ahead of his time" is because, well, that's how I felt about Late Registration. And Yeezus didn't make me feel that way, at all.

I thought it was unorganized because, I personally felt like some of the tracks were in the wrong places. By that I mean it didn't flow right to me. It was kind of a hard pill to swallow.. And what I'm hearing, it was last second because Rick Rubin did some last second tweaking or something. Am I right?

With all that said I don't HATE Kanye by any means. this album was just not impressive.

Ok so how would you approach track placement to make it flow better if you had to rearrange it ?

@oatmealdude

good question...

well. since this album was way out there sound wise, not to mention the little promotion that was used.. I would've had at least had one or two skits explaining what the listener was getting into, where his mind was. something to make the people feel at ease, you know?

that was my main concern, I personally wasn't comfortable when I sat and listened to it... felt like I was being rushed into a relationship, not knowing what I was actually getting into, without knowing what's on their mind. If that makes sense.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So like I asked in the Yeezus thread if this album was simply released as an instrumental album would it still get the same acclaim.
    That's all I'm seeing is production this and production that. What about the lyrical content?
    All the reviews I've seen about this album its like that portion is skipped over. Why?
    Kanye shouldnt get a pass because he was "never lyrical anyway".
    That didn't stop him from making Roses, ? Music, Jesus Walks, All Falls Down, Hey Mama, Can't Tell Me Nothing, Spaceship, Family Business, Gorgeous, Power etc.
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J-Breezy wrote: »
    So like I asked in the Yeezus thread if this album was simply released as an instrumental album would it still get the same acclaim.
    That's all I'm seeing is production this and production that. What about the lyrical content?
    All the reviews I've seen about this album its like that portion is skipped over. Why?
    That didn't stop him from making Roses, ? Music, Jesus Walks, All Falls Down, Hey Mama, Can't Tell Me Nothing, Spaceship, Family Business, Gorgeous, Power etc.

So, My boy finally got me to sit down and listen to this album in full with no interruptions.

He told me that what inspired him to make an album this experimental, was because he was living overseas (Europe) and went to an art museum and studied "minimal art" and was also inspired by some of the music out there too.

For people who don't know what minimal art is, it's art with little information, but makes a huge impact..

Why do I compare Minimal art to Yeezus? Well, because there wasn't a whole lot of instruments going on in the tracks. Usually a few instruments/sounds and vocals. If I'm correct, he recorded most of it in his living room or something? Pretty damn cool if you ask me.

People keep going on and on about this album is "genius" & "ahead of its time"

In my opinion, I MIGHT of agreed with these statements.. But I'm not, because it's not true.

This album just reminds me of Q-Tips "Kamaal the Abstract" which was originally suppose to be released in... 2002. Personally, It's a LOOOT better than Yeezus.

I ain't mad at Kanye for making an album like this. I actually respect him for it. But, I'm not going to buy it.

WHY?... Because he's not saying anything. And I thought it was pretty unorganized to be honest. It had its funny moments, but, I wasn't impressed.

At the end of the day...

I'm Giving this album a 2.5/5
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Those songs weren't really "lyrical" tho were they? They were just songs with interesting contet

I mean this ? said on roses

"So many aunties we could have a auntie team"

Lol ...
  • oatmealdude
    Options
    @bbkg79

good question...

well. since this album was way out there sound wise, not to mention the little promotion that was used.. I would've had at least had one or two skits explaining what the listener was getting into, where his mind was. something to make the people feel at ease, you know?

that was my main concern, I personally wasn't comfortable when I sat and listened to it... felt like I was being rushed into a relationship, not knowing what I was actually getting into, without knowing what's on their mind. If that makes sense.

yea i understand what you saying maybe the next installment he'll make a 360 again or scrap it like the part 2 of food and liqouir 2 m
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    since the yeezus thread is gone might as well post these here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCpfSd-7Z6o
    C+/B-

Mac on Yeezus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QnLbA6bumg&feature=player_embedded

I wish I made a reaction video to the first reaction video, dude was hilarious...? had me in stitches
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think we will get another classic kanye album anymore
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Options

Those songs weren't really "lyrical" tho were they? They were just songs with interesting contet

Lol ...

Touche
    But those songs still had some type of substance to them.
    We all know Kanye isn't a lyrical genius but in many of his songs he had something to say.
    He touched on an array of topics you don't get that on this album.
    Is the production that good to where it takes away from possibly the most important aspect in rap?
    This is more dark and twisted than his previous album lol.
    Which isn't anything wrong with that. I don't mind what he was talking about but I have a problem with how he portrayed this album to be.
    With releasing songs like New Slaves and Black Skinhead you expected this militant, anti corporation, black power type vibe and you don't get that at all.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Lol ...

Touche
    But those songs still had some type of substance to them.
    We all know Kanye isn't a lyrical genius but in many of his songs he had something to say.
    He touched on an array of topics you don't get that on this album.
    Is the production that good to where it takes away from possibly the most important aspect in rap?
    This is more dark and twisted than his previous album lol.
    Which isn't anything wrong with that. I don't mind what he was talking about but I have a problem with how he portrayed this album to be.
    With releasing songs like New Slaves and Black Skinhead you expected this militant, anti corporation, black power type vibe and you don't get that at all.

Kanye never came out and said the album would be some militant black power type of music so ... Whoever assumed that the album would be that kind I set themselves up for failure wouldnt you say?

For example late registrations first single was diamonds ... But the rest of the album talked about other ? besides being on roc a fella you know?

And while I agree that the album is kind of scattered .. I will say that from "can't handle my liqour" to "bound 2" he seems to basically keep a consistent theme of talking about different aspects of a relationship ... I wouldn't call tht talking about nothing ... That's pretty personal if you ask me ..

But idk ... People are going to hear what they want to hear ... So hey ..it is what it is

The album is almost like two seperate albums meshed together ... The first four songs could have been the start to one album and the the last 6 joints flow together but indepent of the first four ...
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this ? is going downhill fast.. i can dig the production a little.. real underground and u can tell he used a lot of ol school house drums...but yo...how this ? gonna sample an anti-lynching song "strange fruit" and sing about taking molly with some chick/? ??? that made me delete the album after 2 listens.. ill rock with the instrumental version tho. but this ? is not only not saying ? but hes making himself look even more annoying setting it up like he was on some revolutionary-esque stuff again and basically just made "my daft and twisted 808s" replete with a bunch of ? and moaning about rich people problem. ? ...you knew what u signed up for. dont nobody wanna hear that ? lol
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Options
    Blood on the Leaves is actually a highlight on the album imo
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if you have any kind of black consciousness or real music appreciation that song is insulting as ? ... the ? beats cuz... "down 4 my ? " beats and nina simone voice is well...nina simones voice ... not fronting.. i LIKE the beat but PLUS the content it backfires...thats like sampling same cooke "change gone come" on some dope selling ? ... " as long as Im on the block ( change gone come** sam cooke) long as i got my glock (ch-ch-change gone come) ( ohhhh yes it is * sped up)...c'mon son ....c'mon... whats next a malcolm x vocal sample for a chief keef anthem??? how did they get on lil wayne for emmit till but not step to ye on that? u got to undrstand the history of that... billie holiday was on some bold and dangerous ? making the first version in that era
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Options
    It's funny you said that because my step dad said the exact same thing.
    He said the samples are just as bad as the Till line just used in two different contexts.
    his argument was that you can't go from a song that talks about the plight of our people to sampling C Murder. He just felt it was disrespectful
    I think it's just really creative to take two contrasting sounds and putting them together to make them work.
    it just meshes so well. The content is a another story but the two totally different sounds clashing is great.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yup when I heard the strange fruit sample then heard him rappin bout ? and hoes i shook my head.... this the same song that was about slaves hanging from trees. The media wont say nothing but the ? is disrespectful in context.
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, ? was garbage
  • oatmealdude
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    yup when I heard the strange fruit sample then heard him rappin bout ? and hoes i shook my head.... this the same song that was about slaves hanging from trees. The media wont say nothing but the ? is disrespectful in context.

did this song really go over most peoples heads like that .....read poem and then listen to the song again he clearly talking about whats going on right now in our communities ! its metaphor that went way over people heads Instagram to drugs to us ? up our own values chicks all on the come up and dudes too ! like how'd yall miss that our society is burning mentally and spiritually rotting my ? or is just me that notice that ? cause i that yall was better then that to just listen to a song and not understand why it sound like that hes not being disrespectful he telling the truth wake up !
  • nohiphop1
    nohiphop1 Members Posts: 600 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lame, cool drinker hip hop fans some of yall are.
    yall so -called respector of "art" won't pick up an album or one song form true artist of the genre with sound used, would dare caught enjoying such music but it's suddenly "different" or artist. lool. hip hop fans ? me. lol
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Album is sonically the most horrible rap album I've attempted to listen too. I wouldn't even call it a rap album, ? 's more techno or house or dub step more than anything. Still, it's a bad attempt at whatever genre he's trying to be.
  • bbkg79
    bbkg79 Members Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @goldenja bout to jump in the whip and cruise through some twisties, ill hit you back on this
    bbkg79 wrote: »
    Gotcha, I didn't feel that way when listening. But I like to take other peoples opinion into account then go back and see if I can pinpoint what they're talking about
    @bbkg79

on some real ? , let me know if you think any different after a few more listens. I would appreciate it.

• Lebong James
    Lebong James Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kanye touches on basically the same subjects he talks about on All falls down on new slaves, except that in all falls down he is new to the game and is rapping about what he thinks and has heard. On new slaves he is ? he ? off cause now he has lived it.

Bound 2 is like devil in a new dress, white dress, classic Ye lyrically

HML is my favorite verse on the album. Talking about a relationship from 2 different view points. It's what J cole raps about in just about every song.

On sight sets the tempo for the album with the "how much do I not give a ? ?" part by showing us that glorious sample then saying SYKE.

I'm in it is lil Wayne territory

His explanation on BOTL: " making a political song over that sample would've been too easy". It's about ? with people. Like puttin Justin Vernon on a track with keef or mixing a political sample with a dance beat and having it be about relationships.

I understand most complaints about the lyrics. But if u look closely it aint like he is saying nonsense.