Similarities between Big Daddy Kane and Drake

Options

Comments

• $ineedmoney$
    $ineedmoney$ Members Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ....Not even close. T/S coulda' compared that fakkit to PM Dawn or sum ? like dat'. Just had to troll on Friday huh. FOH
  • Kellmill
    Kellmill Members, Writer Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I'm not trying to discount the innovation, because that much cannot be denied. The holy trinity of rap (Rakim, BDK, Kool G Rap) are immeasurable in terms of their contributions to the game, people are still "biting" off their flows years later, and they might not even know it. But still, how can someone hate on Drake (whos lyrical abilities mirror that of Kane) and yet call Kane one of the greatest? The ? doesn't add up b. The people in this thread acting like the comparison is completely far fetched are not being honest with themselves. Because track by track the best Drake raps compare nicely with BDKs best work as well.
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kellmill wrote: »
    I'm not trying to discount the innovation, because that much cannot be denied. The holy trinity of rap (Rakim, BDK, Kool G Rap) are immeasurable in terms of their contributions to the game, people are still "biting" off their flows years later, and they might not even know it. But still, how can someone hate on Drake (whos lyrical abilities mirror that of Kane) and yet call Kane one of the greatest? The ? doesn't add up b. The people in this thread acting like the comparison is completely far fetched are not being honest with themselves. Because track by track the best Drake raps compare nicely with BDKs best work as well.

Just because they have similar content doesn't mean that they're equal skillwise. They both have dope flows, but Drake just raps... he doesn't do much else. BDK told stories, created concepts, made different rhyme schemes. What does Drake do different or better other than sing and speak on relationships?
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Perfect thread to sum up why I rarely visit this site/section..
  • vslyke
    vslyke Members Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The funny thing is you could actually make a good Drake/BDK comparison if you start looking at BDK's 3-5th albums. Dude really wanted to be a rap singer and turned off his fan base. If he had come out today he'd be the biggest star in rap since Em.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They're about even. Both underrated but as of right now I might take Kane. Drake isn't far off though.
  • rell e. rell
    rell e. rell Members Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    Options
    i get strong and titanic
    do work like a mechanic
    make mc's panic
    they all get frantic
    and skeptic, like a ? a contraceptive...
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SMH, this is ridiculous.

Not even the old IC tried this ? .
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This thread is Hip Hop blasphemy to the fullest...
  • hiphop12345
    hiphop12345 Members Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You really think Drake and Wayne can pull this off?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJAr3snB38A
  • Kellmill
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Most of the ? in this thread I guaran-damn-tee have never listened to much BDK.

@BlackGerald you're all on my nuts but you've yet to add any sort of constructive insight. Only displays of your feelings. I've peeped your game tho, you're probably one of those "back packer" "real hip hop" "Diggin in the crates" type of ? . You would rather listen to Slum Village in the club than listen to Drake.

You get no points for your supposed hip hop knowledge ? , Unlike you I go based off of what I listen to, not prehistoric ideas of what is good and what isn't. How about instead of catching feelings you do as the title says, and debate bar for bar BDKs verses over Waynes.

"Yall nigas is so emotional, you remind me of my ? "
  • Kellmill
    Options
    From Wayne on Stilletos on Dedication 1

You ? is sleevless man you can't hang with us
    I got a ? who speak Spanglish
    She keep her bangles danglin in the ? that's right up in her ?
    Oak Wayne is right up in the spot where he is suppose to
    B! Got Hova at the game and now he coachin’
    Me! but I’ve been the champion happy as I ever been
    Lampin' in the hamptons like what the ? is a hammock
    The chef up in the kitchen like what the ? is a sammich

I'm like we gotta find middle ground we need balance
    Challenge me rap beat to my advantage
    I'm outstanding like standing outside up in the twister and walking not damaged
    Standing outside up in the blizzard and walking hot headed
    Serving nicklebacks and Iraq bet I will not panic
    Swerve the nickel black if I wreck bet I will not panic
    Cop another one the next day and drive it crazier
    The seats will be lazier ? 'll be gravier
    Nina Sarafina my girl so then I baby her
    Wavin’ at her at 2 crazy four gazee's I'm 2 brazee 3 brazee's
    Deep we got 380's and P 80 9's 9's M-10’s and M 1's and 12 gauges
    Shell cases money put up for jail cases they`ll make it
    My momma say tuck yo chain son they'll take it
    I hit em' with one of those stale faces like
    I’ll be damned momma they know who I am momma
    I'm still yo little boy but to them I'm the man momma
    ? wit yo boy man how hollygrove the hood ?
    Throw it in yo face till you get that understood
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What are the comparisons tho? You just put up two songs and said that they are pretty much equal.
    Is the content similar, subject matter, flows, song writing ability or what about lyrical capability similar?
    I don't see it and I'm a fan of Drake.
    I do agree with the stigma of old vs new tho.
  • Kellmill
    Options
    From BM JR

Lou-easy-ana piranhas everywhere you at
    You gotta weigh an extra condom and an extra gat
    You ? could get it for acting like a man
    Them ? in Pakistan ain't packin' like ya man
    I back his hand ya man on command
    In front of ? he cool with the boys on fam
    I'm on, I am just in different climates, ducking the animal keep on running wit
    my primates
    You ain't did it till you done it like in 5 states,
    Weezy hustle no blubber I put on weight
    And in a drought I go on I diet and stretch more
    Loose all that weight, leave a ? with stretch marks
    You don't even come up to a ? chest paw, subpar,
    what the ? they play it in the club for ?
    Real ? I'm ducking bombs from a drug war,
    no religion but the cops swear that I'm a drug lord
    Father forgive em' for they no not who they pushing lord
    Father forgive me if I have to send them to ya lord
    I'm just trying to dodge the shots they send to the ?
    They riding up highway to heaven boulevard
  • Kellmill
    Options
    Drake and BDK are similar in the fact that they don't have the greatest lyrical abilities per-say, but their flows are on point. And Drake has great verses that match up well with BDK's great verses.

And the ? catching feelings, mainly that ? @BlackGerald (who should be on suicide watch right now) are further testament to the stigma attached to comparing the old versus the new.
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wait, so now Drake AND Wayne are being compared to BDK? Jesus Christ, this is child abuse...

It's been stated here already, but let's not forget BDK was a pioneer, and that's not some half assed compliment. He fathered both of their styles, and they still can't come close, no matter how similar they sound. Again, Drake and Wayne rap... well (sometimes for Wayne). But that's all they do. Rap. Wayne might tell a little story here and there, but that was the old Wayne. But can they make songs with stories like No Damn Good, Mr. Welfare... or joints like Children R The Future or Young, Gifted and Black? As limited as you say BDK is bar wise (? btw, BDK was the punchline champ at one point), Wayne and Drake are that much more limited in song content.

Also, are we really gonna compare a dude that held his own in a cypher with Biggie and Pac to a dude that "freestyles" from his phone and a dude that did... whatever the hell this is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsyEjQ8a8XI
  • DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rakim is to Em / Black Thought / Big Pun (lyrical), as BDK is to Big Poppa (charisma) , while Kool G is to Pac / 'Face (street) , as Slick Rick is to Nas/3 Stacks (storytelling), but......Drake is just Ja Rule 2.0 version.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why did you bold some of those Wayne lyrics? Is that supposed to be the elite ? ?
  • aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Your thoughts?

tumblr_m9s4j4Cl311remcdno1_400.gif
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can't even get these cats to admit Drake is nice so of course they gon be aggy when you compare to BDK.
  • soulbrother
    soulbrother Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Drake ain't got nothing f#cking with this and the jury is still out on Lil Wayne and those 'ghostwriters' rumors...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETupeeDJiys
  • soulbrother
    soulbrother Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @kellmill....either you forgot or NEVER heard this joint...smh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIvMTsAZ8lw

DRAKE MY ASS!
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Drake and BDK are similar in the fact that they don't have the greatest lyrical abilities per-say, but their flows are on point. And Drake has great verses that match up well with BDK's great verses.

And the ? catching feelings, mainly that ? @BlackGerald (who should be on suicide watch right now) are further testament to the stigma attached to comparing the old versus the new.

Drake has a "playing it safe" style because it's a business and he has to keep making the same type songs to rake in that dough and stay current. I would like to see if Drake can make a song like "Lean On Me", "Young, Gifted and Black" etc. but it's not possible.
  • $ineedmoney$
    $ineedmoney$ Members Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lmao @ the title change

The feelings caught went way beyond what the initial projections were from my advisers.

? yo' title change nikka. U gone get dis' work.