Bill Simmons

Options

Comments

• Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bignorm wrote: »
    Bill will get them ? in trouble. Mark my words.

His appeal is that he's the dude at the bar. The dude who is too comfy around ? ,
    cuz they let him hang around cuz he cool. "Kid Rock".

Then, when this ? line-steps, and HE WILL LINE-STEP with some racist ? ,
    them same ? will be there expected to bail him out.

And they will.

That's what they get for hanging with this idiot.

So bill simmons is a racist

Okay
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I mentioned in the Offseason thread how he was acting like a lil ? about the KG-Pierce trade and the Doc situation. He got that whiny ass voice, and he thinks he's so clever. I never seen somebody get so emotional about a deal, you been in the industry long enough or just been a fan long enough to know that it's just business. And he kept talking ? about Gerald Wallace contract like he got A-Rod deal. ? , wish they replace him with Lebatard or Bomani.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont even watch ESPN's pre/post game & halftime show at all. I didnt even know who he was until the draft.

I could care less

Word, I usually turn to something else at halftime -- especially in the playoffs. But ESPN/ABC puts his lil lame ass in so many segments now that it's hard to avoid. Like the draft for example -- there's no where to hide when he's rambling between every pick.

He even runnin' his mouth when Stern is calling out the pick.

Check out this "expert analysis" of Steven Adams...

"Everybody's talkin about this kids personality, he's like Eddie Murphy circa 1983..."

russell-westbrook-disgusted-with-reporter.jpg

Really, dude? Really? Dude asks for your analysis and you start talkin' about Eddie Murphy?

Get this cracka the ? out'a here.
  • TheIraq
    TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Yall ? hated Broussard and Barry and now yall got Simmons...... Deal with it......................................
  • bignorm
    bignorm Members Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo, someone post the Broussard "I have multiple sources"meme
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Lol he's trying to be the same way that he is in his writing by dropping pop-culture references, it's just not translating on TV at all.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol he's trying to be the same way that he is in his writing by dropping pop-culture references, it's just not translating on TV at all.

Damn I didn't read through the thread before I posted, but we was thinking the same thing.
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    bignorm wrote: »
    Yo, someone post the Broussard "I have multiple sources"meme

tumblr_m4uu7i1ILU1qk9z3lo1_1280.jpg
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stand up hour with Bill Simmons

http://youtu.be/m26-pMZQ_6I

Lol @ Bill Simmons acting like he's ever been invited to a party, let alone knew how to conduct himself @ one...
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    I'd take Broussard over Simmons. I ain't mad at Broussard and his Source magazine collection. ? I got about a hunned issues somewhere in my momma's attic right now. lol.

• Baw$3$mok3.JR
    Baw$3$mok3.JR Members Posts: 466
    Options
    Hes the most personality on espn.com or grantland. He brings in a lot of traffic. Doubt he'll be leaving the panel

Jalen on Grantland>>>>>>>>>> Any analyst alive. Except for maybe Charles Barkley

• marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    meh! atleast he's better than John Barry
  • DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They really need to expand Bob Knights role at ESPN...I learn so much when he calls games
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Last year they had him call a few games, and that was horrible too. He's up there with Rick Relily they are terrible on tv. Sometimes Simmons reaches in his writings tpp, Memphis Grizzlies fans are always have racial tension because of MLK was killed there. WTF

http://deadspin.com/bill-simmons-thinks-memphis-fans-get-tense-because-mlk-510443204
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Simmons has wrote in his book and various articles about how he came to understand race & the differences in & of race as a kid b/c he was a sports fan first then realized the differences between black & white socially

He's written various articles about Allen Iverson, Oscar Robertson, Muhammad Ali, John Havelicek (sp),and Bill Rusell that show he's very understanding. Even some of his podcasts & convos/columns with Malcolm Gladwell show he's not just gonna say some "comfy white guy ? "

as for his presence- he's doin what got him on TV. He's prolly the most popular sports columnist. He's admittedly biased & admits when he's being biased so i dont get why to get so worked up on that. It doesnt affect his big picture views or points hes just makin sarcastic comments. His "gimmick" is that he writes & speaks from the pers. of a fan which is cool b/c he makes very valid points & is knowledgable about what he writes. He's just very reference heavy & he's even toned that down a lot if u been reading him a while
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Matt = Bill Simmons
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    To me, a journalist or analyst that tries to write or analyze from the "fans perspective" is about as effective as a Parent that tries to be their kid's "friend" or a teacher who's more interested in being "cool" than teaching.

Hubie Brown is old, boring, half-dead, but every time I hear him talk b-ball, I feel smarter. Same with Mike Fratello or even a "gimmick" guy like ? Vitale (who drops knowledge in between his gimmicks.)

Simmons does seem to be a NBA "historian" -- but an expert? ? no. Two different things.
  • bignorm
    Options
    Bill does not seem like an NBA historian.
    He seems like a Celtics historian.
    Jalen is way more cool than this dude too lol.
    So is Barkley and Kenny.
  • almighty breeze
    Options
    But he's not a journalist. He writes columns.His access is due to his fanbase as a writer. He's not giving reports, he's clearly giving HIS takes.
    The only questions then are do u like it and does he know what he's saying. We know the biased part but if u read or listen to him he just states a bias & moves on not letting it tamper the point or player involved.

You're basically saying he studied the game. Knows tons of info about it but cant be considered an expert b/c you dont like his take
  • bignorm
    Options
    This clown demanded the Heat bench Wade in the finals. Kept trying to statistical reasons.
    Jalen, Magic and Mike were looking at him like..........

they never agreed the entire finals, yet he kept sayin that ? .
    Wade won them a game and they wouldn't have won game 7 without... he kept sayin it.

Then he got on the Doc quit on Celtics, despite evidence to the otherwise.

Dude is a clown.
  • almighty breeze
    Options
    lol Hubie's not a journalist either. he's a coach man. Networks always tryna tinker with what "kind" of person they bring on Fomer player, Coach, Writer, Personality. What kind of mix. Hubie's fine as a color guy but he's not really an analyst either- He's giving his take as a former NBA coach and guy who's been around the game.

An analyst is closer to Stephen A. Adande's a journalist. Michael Smith toes the line. Bomani & Simmons are writers.
  • bignorm
    Options
    No matter what they are, when you put them on tv, they are commentators.
  • greenwood1921
    edited July 2013
    Options
    But he's not a journalist. He writes columns.His access is due to his fanbase as a writer. He's not giving reports, he's clearly giving HIS takes.
    The only questions then are do u like it and does he know what he's saying. We know the biased part but if u read or listen to him he just states a bias & moves on not letting it tamper the point or player involved.

You're basically saying he studied the game. Knows tons of info about it but cant be considered an expert b/c you dont like his take

No. He doesn't use his supposed "knowledge". And being a historian does you little good in sports when all you talk about is what's "going to happen". Knowing how some Lakers/Celtics series went down in the 80s doesn't mean ? today.

That's like having lunch with MLK, but all y'all talk about is ? . You're not going to come away from that conversation knowing any more about the civil rights movement than you learned in school, cause this nikka spent the whole time tellin you how fat Rosa Parks' ass was back in the day.