complex 50 best selling rap albums of all time

13»

Comments

• Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Damn DMX was cashing in. Bet he would have Jay and diddy money if he invested back then instead of letting his money go to ? and his lawyers
  • Busta Carmichael
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    Just goes to show Jay ain't a true heavyweight icon. He can have all the #1 albums he wants but until he gets bold enough to drop on the same day as Eminem or Wayne, let alone artists like Adele, Taylor Swift, and Lady Gaga I will always consider the stats he lists as lacking context.
    So every album since his 3rd being multi plat with no #1 single until BP3, most of career being in the regional era, satisfying the streets and the clubs and to a degree the hip hop head, dropping one of his biggest albums on 9-11 and it still selling, isn't true HW icon stuff?

Plus a lot of his albums where when Hip Hop wasn't the biggest pop music.

He has never been the #1 rapper other than for a 1 week period. He's not an organic icon. The ? was forced.
    So who are guys that's been number 1?

Snoop, Pac, DMX, Eminem, 50 Cent, Kanye, Wayne, soon to be Drake. Jay has never been as big as them during their peaks. Jay has built an image through our his career to make him seem bigger than he was which actually ended up making him become bigger. Like international said, he faked it till he made. And he still never got to that level where it was Jay-Z mania. Other than consistency it's blasphemy for him to compare himself to The Beatles or Michael Jackson or Elvis popularity wise and only using 1 metric to compare it.

Just look how Jay's last album was released in 2009 while Em's was released in 2010 and has more than doubled Jay's sales despite being released a year later.

jay has never been international superstar like 50, em, kanye and even snoop etc hes not a household name, like if hes goes to an airport in london, china, greece or budapest etc theres not gonna be mayhem, hes not like a massive name for talk shows over in them countries either or a household name where parents would know of him (unless their children are hip hop fans and mention him)

You on that sherm b?

I've been around the world. Jigga is internationally known. He married beyonce! You suppose she's not international neither?
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You on that sherm b?

I've been around the world. Jigga is internationally known. He married beyonce! You suppose she's not international neither?

So is the bolded the reason he's internationally known or is it his music?
  • Mr_Vicodin81G
    Mr_Vicodin81G Members Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aint gunna n lie. Had Country Grammer on rotation a good amount of the summer of 2K. Was a trill lil summer album imo
  • Busta Carmichael
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    You on that sherm b?

Nah what im saying is that beyonce is internationally known. And if you know about beyonce you gotta know about jay.

And yes his music is international too. Used to live overseas as a kid. You'd be surprised of how many times they would only play jay.
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    That countin every sold double album as two sold copies rule dont make no sense or at least its manipulating in a way
  • international
    international Members Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You on that sherm b?

Nah what im saying is that beyonce is internationally known. And if you know about beyonce you gotta know about jay.

And yes his music is international too. Used to live overseas as a kid. You'd be surprised of how many times they would only play jay.

False.

Btw, I live overseas and been over here for a while now, you do not speak the truth.
  • Paul Hate.
    Paul Hate. Members Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't matter bout jay he has more business sense than most people on that list.marshall has two in the top five he ain't five figures and most people he's signed since fifty been flopping like Manu ginobli.
  • Paul Hate.
    The fugees and lauryn hill ain't on this list
  • Paul Hate.
    I have lived overseas and traveled every knows jay z ugly ass man.simce hard knock life days..c'mon man.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul Hate. wrote: »

Don't see PE either
  • Busta Carmichael
    You on that sherm b?

False.

Btw, I live overseas and been over here for a while now, you do not speak the truth.

Where do u live and for how long? And did you live there when the roc was running the game? Cuz I did

And most beyonce fans know about jay z. You gotta be completely ? not too.

• water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Just goes to show Jay ain't a true heavyweight icon. He can have all the #1 albums he wants but until he gets bold enough to drop on the same day as Eminem or Wayne, let alone artists like Adele, Taylor Swift, and Lady Gaga I will always consider the stats he lists as lacking context.
    So every album since his 3rd being multi plat with no #1 single until BP3, most of career being in the regional era, satisfying the streets and the clubs and to a degree the hip hop head, dropping one of his biggest albums on 9-11 and it still selling, isn't true HW icon stuff?

He has never been the #1 rapper other than for a 1 week period. He's not an organic icon. The ? was forced.

Snoop, Pac, DMX, Eminem, 50 Cent, Kanye, Wayne, soon to be Drake. Jay has never been as big as them during their peaks. Jay has built an image through our his career to make him seem bigger than he was which actually ended up making him become bigger. Like international said, he faked it till he made. And he still never got to that level where it was Jay-Z mania. Other than consistency it's blasphemy for him to compare himself to The Beatles or Michael Jackson or Elvis popularity wise and only using 1 metric to compare it.

Just look how Jay's last album was released in 2009 while Em's was released in 2010 and has more than doubled Jay's sales despite being released a year later.

jay has never been international superstar like 50, em, kanye and even snoop etc hes not a household name, like if hes goes to an airport in london, china, greece or budapest etc theres not gonna be mayhem, hes not like a massive name for talk shows over in them countries either or a household name where parents would know of him (unless their children are hip hop fans and mention him)

You on that sherm b?

I live in The UK, he's not a superstar, he's internationally known yes, but he's not a superstar like 50, Em, Kanye etc, people who don't even like hip hop like them 3...

Hes become more internationally known now that he's married to Beyonce, but he's no where near 50, Em, Kanye level, he's hustled his way thru to get where he's got, whereas 50, Em, Kanye had the machine behind them and blew the fck up instantly becoming famous, so in a way Jay's level of fame is more commendable, as he's worked and hustled his way in the business...

But yeah, he's not in papers, magazines and stores like the 50's and Em's...

And I'm a big Jay Z fan, not a 'hater'...
  • Paul Hate.
    Wow u jay z is not a star ..lmao.
  • Busta Carmichael

You on that sherm b?

I live in The UK, he's not a superstar, he's internationally known yes, but he's not a superstar like 50, Em, Kanye etc, people who don't even like hip hop like them 3...

Hes become more internationally known now that he's married to Beyonce, but he's no where near 50, Em, Kanye level, he's hustled his way thru to get where he's got, whereas 50, Em, Kanye had the machine behind them and blew the fck up instantly becoming famous, so in a way Jay's level of fame is more commendable, as he's worked and hustled his way in the business...

but bruv, those 3 guys you mentioned are pop stars innit?
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

You on that sherm b?

but bruv, those 3 guys you mentioned are pop stars innit?

I sense you can only take the ? because you now realise your wrong. Thanks... Bruv...
  • N YO HOOD
    N YO HOOD Members Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have lived overseas and traveled every knows jay z ugly ass man.simce hard knock life days..c'mon man.
    #15 and 12

• N YO HOOD
    N YO HOOD Members Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't see PE either
    I don't think Public Enemy his ever sold 3 million of any of there records

• lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Colt mccoy playing for a roster spot 2nite
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So really, MMLP is the biggest selling rap album. Gotcha.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • WiseGuyy
    WiseGuyy Members Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't Documentary sell like 5 Mill or am I bugging?
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm suprised LL Cool J isn't up there. I remember back in 1987 his Bigger and Deffer LP was certified double plat. You would have think it would have sold another mil or so over the years.

Also like somebody else mentioned, Public Enemy. They have two albums, It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back and Fear of a Black Planet that are critically acclaimed. I'm suprised they haven't sold mega units over the years as they are both over 20 years old and are considered classics.

Rakim should be up there on principle alone but truthfully, he never had the right production. He had those ? Hip Hop beats in the late 80s and early 90s and going gold when Hammer and Vanilla Ice were sampling classics and going multiplat. And then he came back in 97 with a decent album but he dropped the ball. He should have had Puffy produce two of the tracks on the album and he could have gone multi-plat. Coulda woulda shoulda

Last but not least, I wish they would make a list for singles. Because I know in the early 80s cats like the Sugarhill Gang, Kurtis Blow and Grandmaster Flash were dropping gold and platinum singles.