Musical Geniuses...

Options

Comments

• A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I take it as someone who not only has a natural gift, but has honed their gift so much so that the creativity they can display exceeds the simple boundaries of one genre...Someone who makes beautifully intricate sounds/words seem effortless...
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Bruh only Stevie and Prince should be on the list and LMAO @ Kanye. Tighten your standards dun or at least state what you mean by MUSICAL genius because ? ain't adding up.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ya'll just throwin out anyone that ever dropped a good album.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    goldenja wrote: »
    when you say "genius"
    do you mean from a writing stand point?
    instrument playing/producing standpoint?
    both?

are there any other perspectives that make a musician a genius?

Honestly...I dont think any caveats should be added. Just what do u think when u hear 'musical genius'

If an artist is a 'genius', it shouldn't have to be described right?

B/c if u do break it down into different niches, then you get what we have in this thread so far lol: every ngga thats a good writer/producer/rapper gets thrown in.

But again, the only reason i put this thread here is to get some traffic. It really belongs in alternatives.

Biggie, Jay-z, Scarface, etc...all MCs i love, but i wouldnt even think to call them genius...
  • S2J
    Options
    I assumed hip hop heads listened to R&B and other ? ...but if ? C is a 'genius' (r.i.p.) ...i mean, wtf?! Lol
  • S2J
    Options
    I can go w/ RZA...

D'Angelo

• A1000MILES
    Options
    s2jepeka wrote: »
    I assumed hip hop heads listened to R&B and other ? ...but if ? C is a 'genius' (r.i.p.) ...i mean, wtf?! Lol

? C was a wonderful producer/guitar/keyboard player...He could sing...And however "simple" his lyrics mighta come off sometimes, he was sayin a lot...
  • A1000MILES
    Options
    Ya'll just throwin out anyone that ever dropped a good album.

Lil Scrappy put out a good album...Ion think he a genius...
  • S2J
    Options
    If i had to make a definition, I'd say an artist who's thought process is so unique that it creates unique music, and it cant be mimic'd, but its MORE than their natural gift.

Thats why i think it's almost always gonna be a producer, or atleast a singer who writes their own stuff

Thats why i dont think a straight up singer who has a ? -gvien gift of singing is immediately a genius

Also why 2pac is the only rapper i'd probly call genuis, b/c his thought process cant be mimiced, due to his Panther background. As good as Biggie, JAY, Nas, etc are...their thoughts are not exactly unique historically IJS...

• goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    s2jepeka wrote: »
    goldenja wrote: »
    when you say "genius"
    do you mean from a writing stand point?
    instrument playing/producing standpoint?
    both?

are there any other perspectives that make a musician a genius?

Honestly...I dont think any caveats should be added. Just what do u think when u hear 'musical genius'

If an artist is a 'genius', it shouldn't have to be described right?

B/c if u do break it down into different niches, then you get what we have in this thread so far lol: every ngga thats a good writer/producer/rapper gets thrown in.

But again, the only reason i put this thread here is to get some traffic. It really belongs in alternatives.

Biggie, Jay-z, Scarface, etc...all MCs i love, but i wouldnt even think to call them genius...

thanks for breaking it down.. so ill give you my list (no order)

I still have more to discover, but at the moment..

Q-Tip
    Weldon Irvine
    Sade
    2pac
    Stevie Wonder
    Bob Marley
    Nas
    Miles Davis

• Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Street Military,Klondike KaT & K-Rino!
  • The_Man
    The_Man Members Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Most of your ideas of musical geniuses is just comedy.
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sully wrote: »
    I wouldn't put Kanye up there. What has he shown outside hip hop that can point to him being a genius musically? He's produced some R&B stuff, but R&B production really isn't that different from rap production nowadays.

I think Kanye's dope, but the acclaim of "musical genius" is better awarded to people like RZA, Rick Rubin, Pharrell, Timbaland, Their ears for music extend beyond a single genre.

you can hear rappers over these beats?
    alright lol not labeling him a genius in the R&B department but he has some gems in his catalog

I never said i could hear rappers over those beats. I said R&B production isn't really that different from rap production nowadays.
  • CirocObama
    CirocObama Members Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Most of your ideas of musical geniuses is just comedy.

Lol, for real.
  • Sweat jones
    Sweat jones Members Posts: 641 ✭✭✭
    Options
  • GovernmentCheese
    GovernmentCheese Members Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A lot of these musicians aren't geniuses at all. Just great at what they do or did.
  • nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Michael Jackson
    Quincy Jones
    Bob Marley
    Prince
    Stevie Wonder
    Marvin Gaye
  • A1000MILES
    Options
    A lotta y'all went to school with geniuses that will never be known, prolly not een county wide...It's not just about acclaim and accolades...Look at what a person is actually doing/capable of doing...

Case in point, I said Biggie because...At a time where erbody was sposed to have "a style", how many times you ever hear him rap the same way?...Was he not dope at everything when it came to rapping?(storytelling, delivery, cleverness, relatability, variety)...Was he not great at using his flaws, both physically and mentally, to his advantage to create good music?...Did he not drop arguably two of the best albums in rap music, consecutively?...Was the ? not only 19-22?....To say Big wasn't a genius at what he was doin just cause all he did was rap is proposterous...In a short span he dropped ? that still sounds advanced today...If the criteria is that a genius "can't be mimicked"(Ion agree though)...Who besides Ross has successfully copied Biggie?....Now, how many ? rhyme, talk, walk, dress, act, and get tatted just like Pac?
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • S2J
    Options
    Raphael Saadiq
  • S2J
    Options
    A1000MILES wrote: »
    A lotta y'all went to school with geniuses that will never be known, prolly not een county wide...It's not just about acclaim and accolades...Look at what a person is actually doing/capable of doing...

Case in point, I said Biggie because...At a time where erbody was sposed to have "a style", how many times you ever hear him rap the same way?...Was he not dope at everything when it came to rapping?(storytelling, delivery, cleverness, relatability, variety)...Was he not great at using his flaws, both physically and mentally, to his advantage to create good music?...Did he not drop arguably two of the best albums in rap music, consecutively?...Was the ? not only 19-22?....To say Big wasn't a genius at what he was doin just cause all he did was rap is proposterous...In a short span he dropped ? that still sounds advanced today...If the criteria is that a genius "can't be mimicked"(Ion agree though)...Who besides Ross has successfully copied Biggie?....Now, how many ? rhyme, talk, walk, dress, act, and get tatted just like Pac?

You a rapper aint u...
  • A1000MILES
    Options
    ^^ Yeah...But I'm not een talkin bout just musical geniuses...My point with that was if one person has national acclaim as a "genius" it doesn't mean that there aren't people who are just as gifted but with less exposure...Erbody ain't gon be Bill Gates, but it's undeniably some one out there just as smart or smarter...
  • Baw$3$mok3.JR
    Baw$3$mok3.JR Members Posts: 466
    Options
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options