WHAT IS THE TRUTH ABOUT ? ?

Options
spiritgod87
spiritgod87 Members Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭
Whats up yall..quick question. What is the truth about ? ? Im a christian but I dont wanna follow it if it aint true. I dont wanna believe in nuttin that aint true. I know people say its faith based but your faith might be wrong. The truth stands alone. If the truth is there isnt a ? I could live with that long asits the absolute truth...What do u believe in and how do u know it is truth?

Comments

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Truth is not something to be stated only that it can be found in "things". Truth is not a state like a thing is, such a planet or a person. The person or planet is the thing, the truth is the planet/person. The Truth is a constant always remaining the same throughout the times, whereas the things, they come and go. Where is the Truth? It is in everything, you only need the eyes and ears for it. How to get the eyes and ears? Awareness.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's a long road ahead brotha, you are aware and have understanding that a deity has the possibility of existing, but it's sometimes the underneath that goes unnoticed that proves what is considered unprovable. Live and learn through life and treat everything as a learning experience and the answer will come to those who seek.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I would take it a step further and ask this question...what is or who is a Christian? When people say they are Christian, they say so associating it with some sense of goodness whether being raised in it, inheriting it or adopting morals and values. However, this is far from what the Bible teaches. What makes a Christian "true" is that they believe that Jesus (or whatever his proper name is) is the Christ; the Son of ? and that through his life, death and resurrection he came to save the world from sin.
  • whar
    whar Members Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Chasing absolute truths is an impossible dream. Instead focus on the process that validate your beliefs. Question this process. Examine it. The most important thing is to be honest with yourself. When information and reason tells you your belief is wrong you drop it and adopt beliefs that conform to your information.

You may not know that your belief is an 'absolute' truth but you will have beliefs that conform to you best understanding of your world at any given time.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    whar wrote: »
    Chasing absolute truths is an impossible dream. Instead focus on the process that validate your beliefs. Question this process. Examine it. The most important thing is to be honest with yourself. When information and reason tells you your belief is wrong you drop it and adopt beliefs that conform to your information.

You may not know that your belief is an 'absolute' truth but you will have beliefs that conform to you best understanding of your world at any given time.

Absolute truths are possible, but not in generation will have those answers.
  • alissowack
    Options
    @whar. So would you consider the statement "Chasing absolute truth is an impossible dream" to not be an absolute truth?
  • whar
    Options
    No it is an opinion.

The closest thing to an absolute truth is a simple fact. And depending on your definition of absolute truth simple facts may qualify. As I define term though an absolute truth is not something that can be factual.

• spiritgod87
    Options
    Everybody knows what truth is. Like 2+2=4 thats the truth and noone can argue that. I want to know what the truth about ? is. Where he came from,his relationship to humans etc.
  • whar
    Options
    2+2=10
    2+2=11
    2+2=4

All of these are true in the right circumstance but none represent truth.
  • spiritgod87
    Options
    2+2=10
    2+2=11
    2+2=4

All of these are true in the right circumstance but none represent truth.

Please explain. Tell me a time where 2+2=11 and this stuff u sayin. The truth about ? is the exact and precise information about him.

• whar
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Our number system is decimal or base-10. There exists an infinite number of number systems of which binary (base-2), octal (base-8), and hexadecimal (base-16) are common examples.

In base-3 ... 2+2 = 11
    In base-4 ... 2+2 = 10
    In base-2 ... 10+10 = 100
    In base-5 or greater ... 2+2=4

All of these statements result in equal mathematical expressions.

Ultimately 2 and 4 are notation for ideas that you and I agree upon. Since those ideas are entirely bound to our mutual agreement and perception we can not by fiat claim they are absolutely true. That is they hold some truth external to us.
  • alissowack
    Options
    No it is an opinion.

The closest thing to an absolute truth is a simple fact. And depending on your definition of absolute truth simple facts may qualify. As I define term though an absolute truth is not something that can be factual.

Absolute truth is truth whose value is independent of opinion; that is remains true whether someone accepts it or not.
  • spiritgod87
    Options
    alissowack wrote: »
    No it is an opinion.

Absolute truth is truth whose value is independent of opinion; that is remains true whether someone accepts it or not.

This sounds accurate

• Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Great thread and comments are on point
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    Math is the truth sir. None of these philosophical ? and high morals but the mathematics.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Geometry is the truth
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options
    Idk.... what was the Truth before the geometry? At one point there was no geometrical anything, shape or otherwise. Some "truth" must have proceeded the form.
  • Bodhi
    edited July 2013
    Options
    at what point was that?
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options
    Oceanic wrote: »
    at what point was that?
    That there was no form?
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Yeah, there's a current t.o.e. that explains everything geometrically
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options
    That explains what was before anything was? We could never know cuz as soon as we got to that point we'd ruin it with our presence.
  • BlackCat
    BlackCat Members Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is the truth subjective? No?
  • Bodhi
    Options
    .IRS. wrote: »
    That explains what was before anything was? We could never know cuz as soon as we got to that point we'd ruin it with our presence.

Why should we assume there was never something?
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the truth is you have to find ? by yourself, you do the studying and research and come to your own answers just keep in mind that to find something you have to look for it's presence and not it's absence.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options
    .IRS. wrote: »

Why should we assume there was never something?
    I personally don't, but I meant physical "things".