Comments

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    It's my favorite rap album
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I went there... ? wasnt bumpin it like that..
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jamaica wrote: »
    It's my favorite rap album
    ? when I bought my first car this was the first album I played in the whip .

• aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RD is classic to me got it in the whip right now and dont have to adjust anything ...
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Classic ? .....we was saying this ? was classic in like 97.......That it wasnt bumping where I'm at ? is funny cause if we spin this ? , like 90% of the ? that was bumping other places got no burn in the northeast
  • The_Man
    The_Man Members Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree, great album not a classic i can see why some people consider it to be tho.
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? the naysayers, the album is a classic even though it got lost in the shuffle back in '96 and flew under the radar....RD had dope production, memorable rhymes, and no skippable tracks!(Even "Ain't no ? " was a banger).... Til this day, Jay haven't been able to top the flawlessness of "Reasonable Doubt" and he never will...
  • nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol @ ppl get upset for there opinion
  • Paul Hate.
    Paul Hate. Members Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Grap is the first wave of mafia ? all these ? nas jay big az mega Raekwon gotta let g rap ? there wives and drive there cars at least once a month.

? outta here and big was talking that don ? before him...
  • Paul Hate.
    Options
    Everybody that listened to rap knew jay z that most cats I knew that were heads had that tape..
  • Paul Hate.
    Options
    ohhhla wrote: »
    Once again.

You guys are playing "It wasn't bumping in my hood" fallacy.

In the spring of '94 in South Florida, ? was banging to Death Row, not illmatic.

What makes illmatic a classic if ? weren't bumping it?

BTW, I do think illmatic is a classic and the hip hop bible, mind you.

So, don't go there.

Illmatic got so much play it was one of the most bootlegged albums of all time...it didn't sell cuz it was aimed for ghetto ? no party jams like ready to die or reasonable doubt..

Reasonable had poor distribution..
  • antarticp
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    I went there... ? wasnt bumpin it like that..

this is a true statement but doesnt deny its greatness ...

• Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Paul Hate. wrote: »
    ohhhla wrote: »
    Once again.

You guys are playing "It wasn't bumping in my hood" fallacy.

In the spring of '94 in South Florida, ? was banging to Death Row, not illmatic.

What makes illmatic a classic if ? weren't bumping it?

BTW, I do think illmatic is a classic and the hip hop bible, mind you.

So, don't go there.

Illmatic got so much play it was one of the most bootlegged albums of all time...it didn't sell cuz it was aimed for ghetto ? no party jams like ready to die or reasonable doubt..

Reasonable had poor distribution..

Reasonable Doubt was on Priority can not expect big distribution from them
  • antarticp
    Options
    Yamoley wrote: »
    ? the naysayers, the album is a classic even though it got lost in the shuffle back in '96 and flew under the radar....RD had dope production, memorable rhymes, and no skippable tracks!(Even "Ain't no ? " was a banger).... Til this day, Jay haven't been able to top the flawlessness of "Reasonable Doubt" and he never will...

if there was a skippable track it was aint no ? ... not saying it was wack .. but due to radio play it got played out
  • Paul Hate.
    Options
    People had it but distribution was weak and it came out in a uptime for hip hop full competition,plus his singles didn't crossover as much.

Mad people had that ? c'mon man.
  • CertainSoul
    CertainSoul Members Posts: 99 ✭✭✭
    Options
    A classic in terms of popularity? No. Especially if you want to compare it to Illmatic. RD just did not have the same impact. Musically though? Why not?

You could argue its a classic off the strength of Dead Presidents alone. I don't think there has been another song in hip hop that has been remixed, re-imagined, redone, and straight up jacked than Dead Presidents II. Sonically and thematically, the CD was cohesive and well written and delivered.
  • deathrowzorrow
    deathrowzorrow Members Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I been tryna tell these ? the truth but everytime I let the reason know about all the boring beats and that dead prez, D Evils, Brooklyns finest, and that other joint (I forgot the name) is the only joints worth bumping before I have to move on to the next CD.....Jigga wariors come in the threads with hurt ass feelings and talk about his money n ? acting like it wasnt just a regional album
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Reasonable Doubt is undeniably a classic album because he told us it was...

• Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"debuts a classic, first album four mics
    shoulda been 5 but ? lacking foresight"

I don't get into what's classic or not but I always thought RD was dope
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options

"debuts a classic, first album four mics
    shoulda been 5 but ? lacking foresight"

I don't get into what's classic or not but I always thought RD was dope

Same here. I remember buying Reasonable Doubt when it first came out with Mobb Deep's Hell On Earth...and was blasting it hard around my way (Alabama (B'ham) so the regional arguments should be null and void. It was great Hip Hop music. But at the same time I try to be unbiased...it didn't catch on heavy due to (1) their distribution (Priority/Freeze) at the time; (2) Bad Boy (Big, Diddy and co.) was still running ? (3) It Was Written hit around the same time with Nas finally striking the commercial chord to sell with "If I Ruled The World" and "Street Dreams" so yeah Reasonable was a dope album, but in all honesty those "? lacking foresight" saw the same thing I've mentioned. It wasn't one of those "automatic" classics like Illmatic.

I think the reason Illmatic was labeled automatically a classic because he was a lyricist who kept the tradition lyricism of Rakim, Kane and G. Rap into the 90's decade and the hottest NYC producers at that time were producing the whole thing, but Nas didn't have the anchor Jay has (more commercial accessible tracks i.e. "Ain't No ? ", "Feelin' It" was more accessible than "The World Is Yours" and "One Love"). Jay had that too with RD (he strongly felt that as well otherwise he wouldn't kept mentioning it) but it took until The Blueprint...which Jay himself in an interview he considered it a Reasonable Doubt sequel...so that's where the classic talk came from.