• lethal5
    lethal5 Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    judahxulu wrote: »
    lethal5 wrote: »
    IT DONT MOVE MY SOUL = NOT A CLASSIC. ? need to log off and study poetry and music theory... you call ? classics because youre told to. If it wasn't for the corruption of the Sauce this wouldn't be a comvo. That ? was a sham from the jump so therefore 9 out of 10 emcees repute propped up by that fugazi ass 5 mic system are like that invisible ensemble the emperor be rocking.

LMMFAO @ these conspiracy dudes who think the media brainwashed people into liking RD.

RD got knocked heavy in the whip when it came out, and no media magazine's convinced me to go see the show when he was on tour for RD, the concert wasn't even promoted that heavy.

LMAO at you dumb ? who get all your information on online forums. There are several books by industry insiders on the very same thing I just mentioned, genius. Double LMAO at you silly ? too jaded from intentional disinformation dispensed in ? ass "Illuminati expose'" youtube videos to entertain the INEVITABLY of conspiracies existing when shitloads of money and the power of cultural influence is at stake. Noooo... these corporate guys are A-OK and the record industry is a shining beacon of integrity and a model for ethical business practices. Yeah......ok......uh huh.....................shut the ? up

Dont see what this got to do with anything I said, but ok buddy.
    that media brainwashing and conspiracy is likely, buck-o

Your attempt to drop knowledge just came off as nerdy. Any real hiphop head knows the Source was corrupt way before Elliott Wilson started bashing them in XXL. Your talking to an old head that actually remembers when the Source caught backlash for the mic rating they gave Benzino's group the RSO. Tricks, Publicity stunts & brainwashing has been going on in music biz for decades.....u aint said nothing new.

If u actually read what i said, the point i was trying make was RD was an album I genuinely liked b4 jay-z's popularity went into overdrive.

*i think Once Upon A Time In America was a masterpiece, so are u gonna try to convince me the media made me like Smoothe tha Hustler?
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    In all honesty, i was surprised reasonable doubt didn't do better because the Biggie and Foxy Tracks were big hits Brooklyn's Finest and Ain't No were big tracks back then. There was just so many rappers better, but not so many where this dude couldn't ? . What's funny is Jay dissed Nas for never having a hit until a female got on his track, but people were only talking about Foxy on that Ain't No track and his career paused until his second album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljdzX7a4_Xs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_DLD7OMUns

When I told ? like Ohhla and some of these other cats the bolded they tried to act like I was making that ? up. All them stupid nosigns I got from ? . Maybe theyll finally start believing it now after seein other ? say it.
  • misunderstood solide
    misunderstood solide Members Posts: 100 ✭✭
    Options
    Nah its not a classic at all. Its a GOOD album tho
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So, a classic depends on popularity?

Then why is Paid in Full or Long Live The Kane are classic?

Or are you going to play the "That's different card"?
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If RD ain't a classic then jay must not have a classic in his whole catalog becuz it's hard to make a better case for a classic then RD even tho me personally I think blueprint is better
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    IT DONT MOVE MY SOUL = NOT A CLASSIC. ? need to log off and study poetry and music theory... you call ? classics because youre told to. If it wasn't for the corruption of the Sauce this wouldn't be a comvo. That ? was a sham from the jump so therefore 9 out of 10 emcees repute propped up by that fugazi ass 5 mic system are like that invisible ensemble the emperor be rocking.

LMMFAO @ these conspiracy dudes who think the media brainwashed people into liking RD.

RD got knocked heavy in the whip when it came out, and no media magazine's convinced me to go see the show when he was on tour for RD, the concert wasn't even promoted that heavy.

LMAO at you dumb ? who get all your information on online forums. There are several books by industry insiders on the very same thing I just mentioned, genius. Double LMAO at you silly ? too jaded from intentional disinformation dispensed in ? ass "Illuminati expose'" youtube videos to entertain the INEVITABLY of conspiracies existing when shitloads of money and the power of cultural influence is at stake. Noooo... these corporate guys are A-OK and the record industry is a shining beacon of integrity and a model for ethical business practices. Yeah......ok......uh huh.....................shut the ? up

Dont see what this got to do with anything I said, but ok buddy.
    that media brainwashing and conspiracy is likely, buck-o

Your attempt to drop knowledge just came off as nerdy. Any real hiphop head knows the Source was corrupt way before Elliott Wilson started bashing them in XXL. Your talking to an old head that actually remembers when the Source caught backlash for the mic rating they gave Benzino's group the RSO. Tricks, Publicity stunts & brainwashing has been going on in music biz for decades.....u aint said nothing new.

If u actually read what i said, the point i was trying make was RD was an album I genuinely liked b4 jay-z's popularity went into overdrive.

*i think Once Upon A Time In America was a masterpiece, so are u gonna try to convince me the media made me like Smoothe tha Hustler?

? NO lol. U missing my point. Its a classic to YOU and a lot of other mufuckas but to define it as A CLASSIC as a generally accepted standard is not cool and thats what the aftermath of mass media saturation is. You need to watch CENTURY OF SELF.. a documentary about the mental hacking built into how mass media is distributed developed by Edward Bernays. If you think you can't be influenced by mass media then you're just that ? to get suckered cause you too arrogant to keep your third eye open.

When money is involved there is no "genuine" like... its all about buliding a brand and an image with all possible components. Revisionist history is one. You liked the album . OK. The question is this term "classic"...who tacked that to RD or albums in general... who sets the standard behind the talking heads?
  • lethal5
    Options
    Ok, i see your point.
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As I said in another thread, Only reason ya'll think Reasonable Doubt is classic because Jay-Z told ya'll it was classic. ? mad no impact when it dropped, ? wasn't bumpin it, and was overshadowed but other albums during that era...

Its my personal favorite Jay-Z album but its not a classic. He only has one and that's The Blueprint.
  • Gen. Stasia
    Gen. Stasia Members Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TBH... Reasonable Doubt aged the best from that Era other than maybe The Chronic which is Timeless.
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Classic ? ....I was there, too.....
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree.

#NotAClassic
  • lethal5
    Options
    I wanna know which songs on RD people think are sub-par?
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

i wanna know how "not a classic" = sub par by default...
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All of them.
  • TrueGodHS
    TrueGodHS Members Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think Reasonable Doubt is a classic hands down. Musically, it's Jay's deepest album IMO. Cashmere Thoughts, Regrets, Politics as Usual, D'Evils, etc.... I remember listening to it when it first came out and I remembered how disappointed I was in Jay when he dropped Vol. 1 and that lame ass "I Know What Girls Like" ? . I will say that everybody has selective ideals on what a classic is, and if a ? says it's not a classic, the album just might not register with them the same way it did for a lot of us ? . In terms of sales, it's not a classic, but in terms of impact that's permeated the culture in the last 2 decades, I would say it is a classic. Once again, someone could disagree and that's them. But not too many albums from the 80s and 90s hold up as well as Reasonable Doubt has. Timeless music IMO = classic.
  • DR. JEK
    Options
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    If RD ain't a classic then jay must not have a classic in his whole catalog becuz it's hard to make a better case for a classic then RD even tho me personally I think blueprint is better

You sound like a guy feeling obligated to give it a courtesy classic mention. You on some " I guess its a classic even tho I think Blueprint is better" ? ....but before that you made it sound like RD is the best album in his catalog the way you began your paragraph unless of course you was being sarcastic. Which is it? And this is what I dont understand from you and posters in this thread like you. Why feel the need to say you like Blueprint better? Are you telling us that there are higher degree classics than others and you feel BP is a higher degree than RD? If not why cant Blueprint be the classic to you and Reasonable dought just be a very good album but fall short of the word classic? There is no shame in treating it as a 4 to 4 1/2 mic joint, we dont have to call everything a classic especially when that same artist has made better ? that you CLEARLY like better. Its almost like ? feel sorry for Jay ? he didnt drop a nuclear bomb off the bat with his first album like Nas, Mobb Deep, Biggie, and Snoop so revisionist have to act like RD was something that it wasnt to validate Jigga.

But yall gotta understand that its ok that hes a late bloomer. Still got just as much good music and classic songs over the years as those other drop a classic first album rap guys if not more by now, Y'all dont gotta act like this.

• 25centsandwich
    25centsandwich Members Posts: 456 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Never thought I'd see this thread...but RD is by far Jays best album...ain't even close to me.

BP and black album are more accessible from a production/songwriting perspective...plus the fair share of hits...that's why ppl think there better...

but the cohesion/concept/background of rd is what those albums lack...jay was sublime on rd...I remember when jay first came out w/ rd...and I was like whoooooa!! ...when black album came out I was like meeeehhh!
  • GetoBoy
    Options
    DR. JEK wrote: »

you sound like a guy feeling obligated to give it a courtesy classic mention. You on some " I guess its a classic even tho I think Blueprint is better" ? ....but before that you made it sound like RD is the best album in his catalog the way you began your paragraph unless of course you was being sarcastic. Which is it? And this is what I dont understand from you and posters in this thread like you. Why feel the need to say you like Blueprint better? Are you telling us that there are higher degree classics than others and you feel BP is a higher degree than RD? If not why cant Blueprint be the classic to you and Reasonable dought just be a very good album but fall short of the word classic? There is no shame in treating it as a 4 to 4 1/2 mic joint, we dont have to call everything a classic especially when that same artist has made better ? that you CLEARLY like better. Its almost like ? feel sorry for Jay ? he didnt drop a nuclear bomb off the bat with his first album like Nas, Mobb Deep, Biggie, and Snoop so revisionist have to act like RD was something that it wasnt to validate Jigga.

But yall gotta understand that its ok that hes a late bloomer. Still got just as much good music and classic songs over the years as those other drop a classic first album rap guys if not more by now, Y'all dont gotta act like this.

You sound like one of those ? that since it wasn't a "nuclear bomb" when it dropped means it's not a classic if that's how you define a classic we need to go in that classics vault and remove about 80% of the albums in there..... I think of it as a classic because to me it fits every criteria I or most ppl would have when giving an album the classic stamp musically, culturally, impact, and popularity wise as well as the timelessness of the music you can still play RD and it still sound fresh 17 years later now if that's not a classic then idk what is.... But hey you can please some of the ppl some of the time but you can't please all of the ppl all of the time so I get it.
  • DR. JEK
    Options
    Haha please describe what it did for the culture or the impact it had. Why You said yourself you liked blueprint better if RD was so great?
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When Jay-Z said "Resonable Doubt.. Classic shoulda been triple" on Mama Loves Me is when everyone started calling it classic.
  • GetoBoy
    Options
    DR. JEK wrote: »
    Haha please describe what it did for the culture or the impact it had. Why You said yourself you liked blueprint better if RD was so great?

In my eyes they're both classics and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that mind state... And are we really gonna act like any rapper who had a debut album pass 99-00 wouldn't bring up RD as one of the albums that had an impact on them..... ? ? me with that if it didn't blow or impact the mid 90's or earlier then it doesn't count bs like rap just stopped there please tell me the last 5 albums you would call a classic that have been released and I bet none of them would be on the level of RD unless you say sum ? like "look how much so and so sold its first week"
  • DR. JEK
    Options
    ? aint about my last five albums, dont derail the thread just cuz i have a different perspective than you revisionist of history cats acting like people wasnt too busy listening to ready to die, It was written, Ice Cube who was on fire at the time, Wu Tang came off a banger to a make a great Double CD, Outkast when they was in they prime, Mobb Deep coming off Infamous droppin a very good Hell on Earth album which was a damn good follow up. Its hard for a guy like me in which I told yall what I liked and disliked already about reasonable dought on pages 2, 3, and 4 of this thread to get excited with you guys because in light of the artist I just named, it was hard for people outside die hard underground NY rap heads to even notice this rook. Ya boy didnt even really blow till Big and Pac got merked out the game and maybe from a destiny standpoint thats not fair for me to bring up or say but ? that...like it or not thats just the sad yet coincidental reality of things. Its not to say he hasnt surpass them guys in lots of ways (especially the business end) but it is what it is perception wise. He had raw talent in the wordplay department, beats was lacking tho on RD and nobody could really foresee him being the Mike Jordan of rap at the time. Im just tellin the truth! What ? gettin mad at me for?
  • DR. JEK
    Options
    I swear to ? im not tryna troll,....his first ? was ok but definately not this end all, be all of his catalog like ? make it out to be. RD to keep it real could actually be his 3rd or 4th best album arguably depending on personal taste in sound and style but ill leave that alone till ? start even realizing Blueprint is better.
  • GetoBoy
    Options
    Bruh you the one sounding like you in yo feelings me personally outside of Jesus himself coming down and telling me "it's not a classic my child" ima roll with the mind state that it is im just tryna figure out why sum ppl feel it isn't.....I mean let's just say for the sake of argument some of y'all right and it did take awhile for me whether it took a day, a week, or forever if majority of ppl especially new age artist look to that album as a classic and something that inspired them to make music because of how great it is how can anybody try and take that away with the "but it wasn't the out the gate change the game album in the 90's when so and so and so and so was out so it's not classic" excuse because it may not have been doing it then but it's been doing it since and if like you say ppl been calling classic since BP that's 12 years of ppl saying it and if it wasn't no truth to it ain't enough media in the world gonna make it stay true for that my years and counting but I'm back off it cuz like I said you can't please everybody especially when it comes to the IC and anything jay related.
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm making a spin-off thread including illmatic.