College Majors

twinzmom
twinzmom Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am finally finishing up my BA in Healthcare Admin. But for grad school, I am seriously undecided.

How or when did you decide on your major?

Comments

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I looked at prerequisites, decided i didnt wanna go back and do night school to get certain credits and made my decision off that

now i regret it and im probs gonna be doing me some night school this coming september. two steps forward one step back i guess.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    My major is sociology since NIu doesn't have criminal justice.
  • twinzmom
    RodrigueZz wrote: »
    I looked at prerequisites, decided i didnt wanna go back and do night school to get certain credits and made my decision off that

now i regret it and im probs gonna be doing me some night school this coming september. two steps forward one step back i guess.

I am looking at the required courses to see which classes I want to deal with.

I'm afraid of picking something that I don't like the job in the long run.
  • twinzmom

Was that school your only option?
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    twinzmom wrote: »

Was that school your only option?

no. but they offered me the most money. at NIU it is Sociology with a certificate of criminology.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i just declared history/polysci

*shrugs*
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    I've literally only wanted go into the following vocations

Be President and play left field for my beloved Oakland Athletics at the age of 12, I realized that I would never be good enough to play major league baseball. As I got older, I realized that Americans can't deal with the truth and I don't have the patience to be fundraising and watching that I say so politics were out. However, I came to realize that most of the presidents had legal backgrounds and as I made my journey to the presidency, I would practice law, so being a lawyer is something that I've always wanted to do since I was 8 years old. Now I haven't decided what I want to specialize in. After seeing oral arguments at New York State Appeals Court, the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals,and the Supreme Court, plus going to and winning best orator at my school's moot court competition, I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY like appellate law, it's some very prestigious ? , however, I want to make hella money, so torts is attractive too. Also, those cats who represent dudes that were wrongly convicted and they get cashed out or millions, the lawyers get mil tickets too, so that branch of law is appealing also.
  • J. Will
    J. Will Members Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Originally went to school to become a history teacher...was in my 4th year when i went to my adviser and asked how much school i had left if i dropped all those teaching courses...when she said i'd be done in a year i dropped all that ? and just focused on History/PoliSci....

Fast Forward the next semester i realized i had taken so many PoliSci courses that i could double major, in my final semester in my last history class, i ? bombed two tests, never in my life have i ever failed a history test until that class...dropped that class, switched history to a minor and left with a PoliSci degree...
  • twinzmom
    Well, I think I've decided on public administration with a concentration in health care. Money and job opportunities is what I was worried about.
  • twinzmom
    J. Will wrote: »
    Originally went to school to become a history teacher...was in my 4th year when i went to my adviser and asked how much school i had left if i dropped all those teaching courses...when she said i'd be done in a year i dropped all that ? and just focused on History/PoliSci....

Fast Forward the next semester i realized i had taken so many PoliSci courses that i could double major, in my final semester in my last history class, i ? bombed two tests, never in my life have i ever failed a history test until that class...dropped that class, switched history to a minor and left with a PoliSci degree...
    Are you working a job using your degree?
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i got my BA in accounting gonna get my master's in either human resources or contracts and negotiations

i was planning on being a teacher when i started college but once i peeped it was a 5 year major i made the switch
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

this ? wasting his time, both majors are trash. you didnt do any research did you? I would advise your freshman year to just take basics and reevaluated if that debt is worth it for no return
  • Markus Garvey
    Markus Garvey Members Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    My major is accounting and I am working on a BS.
  • twinzmom

this ? wasting his time, both majors are trash. you didnt do any research did you? I would advise your freshman year to just take basics and reevaluated if that debt is worth it for no return

I had a professor went to school for years and years he has a phd probably two of them and can't find a job in philosophy. He and his wife live with his parents.

He made me think long and hard about picking a major I can use.
  • twinzmom
    Accountant is a good field.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    twinzmom wrote: »
    Accountant is a good field.

Foh

But cosign
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    man accounting sounds boring as hell. I couldn't imagine doing that as a career.
  • IceManKam
    IceManKam Members Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going for Computer Science

Thinking about going into the Software Engineering division but I feel like I could use the extra free classes to pursue something else plus I feel as if I could learn the tools on the job
  • Well Got Dam
    Well Got Dam Members Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    im pursuing a degree in logistics
  • CottonCitySlim
    im finishing up my BA in IT in one year, I didnt go to college straight out of HS for the very reason I didnt know what I wanted to major in, picking something for money and hating it for the rest of your life is not smart. I researched my interest vs majors/careers and IT fit for me.

department of labor statistics will give you the real deal info about your career plans
  • Star Nine
    Star Nine Members Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? @mikeydagawd sociology that ? 's for ? and crackers
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    im finishing up my BA in IT in one year, I didnt go to college straight out of HS for the very reason I didnt know what I wanted to major in, picking something for money and hating it for the rest of your life is not smart. I researched my interest vs majors/careers and IT fit for me.

department of labor statistics will give you the real deal info about your career plans

what do you tell people that arent interested in those technical fields? not everyone can succeed at being an engineer or accountant
  • CottonCitySlim

what do you tell people that arent interested in those technical fields? not everyone can succeed at being an engineer or accountant

STEM careers are not all complicated hard ? , also there plenty of none STEM careers that are good, its all about research, looking at the job market.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baybey wrote: »
    yeah picking a major that will guarantee a job is good, but choose something that you are actually interested in; dont just think about the money, you'll be unhappy as ? .
    co-sign this. at the end of your life you're not gonna be thinkin "damn so glad i made all that money" you're gonna be thinkin about all your regrets and mistakes in life, and if you have your heart set on a certain major and career go for it.

• twinzmom
    @rozay, I agree. But we are not in the times where jobs are at an abundance. I think today people take pride in just having a job versus what they are actually doing