Geraldo Rivera: 'You Dress Like A Thug, People Are Going To Treat You Like A Thug"

Options

Comments

• 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gorilla wrote: »
    The way people tried to demonize Trayvon is one of the worse aspects of this case. It's like many people -- white people especially -- think that if they could only prove that he was on the way to becoming a thug, then all of his rights went out of the window.

That said, there were signs that Trayvon was headed for trouble. He went from this

trayvon-martin-op-ed.jpg

to this

tm.jpg

and developed an interest in guns, fighting, weed, and stolen goods along the way.

There is something about black male identity in this country that makes Travyon's apparent trajectory quite common. Unless all of the factors that contribute to this is addressed, black men will not rise up. This will mean that young black men must repudiate this identity.

Yeah they tried everything in the book to assassinate his character. Nevermind the fact that he was barely 17. How much dumb ? has 99.9% of american done at that age?

Wait that's right, white people don't smoke weed, post middle finger pics, take pics with gun, steal. Nope they're model citizens

The irony of the most ruthless race of people in history calling anybody a violent thug

White people are not out there thugging, or even adopting the persona of a thug, like we are. That's a fact -- a fact they created, but a fact nevertheless.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that we (not me personally, but young black men) have to look in the mirror at the kind of identity we encourage black men to adopt. And don't reply saying it is all about poverty. It's not.

Black card status: Pending Revoked
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol @ white people thinking they have the authority to tell people how to dress so they don't get shot.

crackas are a ? trip, yo.

That's the history of white people in a nutshell. "Dress and behave like us or we'll ? you".

Just look at France right now, they enacted laws specifically at Muslim women so they can't dress in Burqas anywhere, effectively trying to strip them of their religion and cultural identities.

Whites that invaded India tried enforcing their own dress codes and inferior garments on the local populations. In British India, and other colonial holdings, the people who tried to dress and speak like the colonialists were acceptable for minimal conversation, meanwhile, everyone else who adhered to their own cultural practices and languages in their own lands were considered savages.

What the history of white imperialism notes is that the more you behave like them and adhere to what ever social norms they dictate to you, the more you are considered "civilized".
  • gorilla
    gorilla Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The way people tried to demonize Trayvon is one of the worse aspects of this case. It's like many people -- white people especially -- think that if they could only prove that he was on the way to becoming a thug, then all of his rights went out of the window.

That said, there were signs that Trayvon was headed for trouble. He went from this

trayvon-martin-op-ed.jpg

to this

tm.jpg

and developed an interest in guns, fighting, weed, and stolen goods along the way.

There is something about black male identity in this country that makes Travyon's apparent trajectory quite common. Unless all of the factors that contribute to this is addressed, black men will not rise up. This will mean that young black men must repudiate this identity.

Yeah they tried everything in the book to assassinate his character. Nevermind the fact that he was barely 17. How much dumb ? has 99.9% of american done at that age?

Wait that's right, white people don't smoke weed, post middle finger pics, take pics with gun, steal. Nope they're model citizens

The irony of the most ruthless race of people in history calling anybody a violent thug

White people are not out there thugging, or even adopting the persona of a thug, like we are. That's a fact -- a fact they created, but a fact nevertheless.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that we (not me personally, but young black men) have to look in the mirror at the kind of identity we encourage black men to adopt. And don't reply saying it is all about poverty. It's not.

Naw whites are just out here marching in white hoodies.

If you are indeed black you need to realize that whether you in a suit and tie or a hoodie and sweats you still black and a ? to the racist whites. Dont matter how well you speak the ? 's english you still aint ? to them. Dont believe the hype

• unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I want everyone to notice that spinning box on the bottom left corner of the video.
  • NYETOPn
    NYETOPn Members Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The articles of clothing, ultimately, don't matter that much; Problem is, "Blackness" itself, whatever it is considered to be, is condemned and criminalized.

Dress how you wish; anticipate resistance.
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Matt- wrote: »
    The way we see you is you either dress white or dress like a thug. Unfortunately there is no middle ground in our eyes
    everybody just needs 2 stop responding to this arrogant ? ^^^.

• NYETOPn
    NYETOPn Members Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sully wrote: »
    lol @ white people thinking they have the authority to tell people how to dress so they don't get shot.

That's the history of white people in a nutshell. "Dress and behave like us or we'll ? you".

Just look at France right now, they enacted laws specifically at Muslim women so they can't dress in Burqas anywhere, effectively trying to strip them of their religion and cultural identities.

Whites that invaded India tried enforcing their own dress codes and inferior garments on the local populations. In British India, and other colonial holdings, the people who tried to dress and speak like the colonialists were acceptable for minimal conversation, meanwhile, everyone else who adhered to their own cultural practices and languages in their own lands were considered savages.

What the history of white imperialism notes is that the more you behave like them and adhere to what ever social norms they dictate to you, the more you are considered "civilized".

Strong is the self-sacrosanctity.

• a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Stopitfive wrote: »
    Matt- wrote: »
    the way you dress to affect how people perceive you. its not just limited to thugs

he wasnt dressed like a thug tho...

if he was dressed in a tailored Armani suit
    you know what some of them (whites) will think...?

"he's thug ? dressed in a tailored Armani suit"

the boy "had it coming" (which is the attitude you get when you really listen to some of the commentary out there, not that he was someone son, no that he did not commit any crime, and not that he was minding his own business)

and that's the essential and inherited nature of racism and hate

• a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    These Conservatives and their supporters show apathy ,callousness, and pure disregard for anyone else plights.

Absolutely no sympathy, and concern for nothing other than their all consuming and ever present fear that "Obumma gon take our guns!"

They care about the babies, protecting defensless children, "the sanctuary of life" that's why they passing all these new abortion laws and restrictions

Well wasn't Travyon someones "baby" .....someone's child? Did he have a gun or any weapons on him? Did someone needless take his life?

Exactly

? these creepy crackas
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    smh... hoodie on a black teen is viewed as thug wear, but on a white kid, it’s considered as trendy urban wear. wtf? lol. just an excuse, permission granted to view black boys and men as lethal threats in waiting....

this is why it frustrates me when people like to argue that race played no part in the shooting or the proceedings....hell it is impossible to argue that race plays no part in our daily lives

since we got here the black man has been portrayed as a criminal, a thug, the symbolic pillager of all that is good...had trayvon been wearing anything else but a choir robe he still would have been assumed to be "up to no good"

its no coincidence a higher percentage of black felons than white felons receive prison sentences for nearly all offenses, and blacks receive longer maximum sentences for most offenses..

that's why i can't even get too, too mad at zimmerman. he is the embodiment of how much of our nation currently feels about black people....he didn't see trayvon as human only a threat. not once did he give trayvon the benefit of the doubt and that's why he couldn't have just made a report and driven home that night
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    smh @ this......he knows damn well it's all about perception. I used to get it all the time. You see a white man wear his college teams hoodie, people start talking to him about the team and ? , I wear my college hoodie, people start reciting rap lyrics to me or start "speaking jive" and ? . Trayvon could have on a fresh ass suit with a fedora and a watch hanging out of his pocket while rocking a monocle and ? , he would still be considered suspicious.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I really would love for the saggin ? to stop tho that ? is mad ?
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    the quote in the thread title is true. if ur walking around wearing black and red clothes u can get jumped or killed simply for wearing gang colors. but only 'thugs' will react like 'thugs' and shoot someone for something so trivial....unless u are racist, profiling or stereotyping.

in zimmerman case tho he just saw a black dude walking down the street, followed him, altercation ensued and the boy ends up dead. he already had his mind made up that trayvon was a criminal hence the police phone call. how do u call the cops on someone for walking down a street?

if zimmerman would've been minding his own business like trayvon assumedly was there would be no gunshot, no altercation, everyone goes home and its another day. unfortunately in legal matters the prosecution has the burden of proving he was not acting outside of the law beyond reasonable doubt. there just wasnt enough evidence brought to the case to get the guilty verdict.

even tho zimmerman has a police record for assault on a cop and lied to the judge about his finances people throw all the blame on trayvon cuz he liked to smoke weed, fight, and was interested in guns. funny zimmerman was the one with the gun but hes innocent?

? forbid some stranger is following u in the dark and u have to react and get shot for it and they all say it was your fault. ? crazy.
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Make me feel comfortable or ? I will ? you.

I support the right to bear arms.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options

trayvon-martin-op-ed.jpg

to this

tm.jpg

If you are indeed black you need to realize that whether you in a suit and tie or a hoodie and sweats you still black and a ? to the racist whites. Dont matter how well you speak the ? 's english you still aint ? to them. Dont believe the hype

Really don't need to look any further than how whites view President Obama.

• FourEfil
    FourEfil Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    'You Dress Like A <____>, People Are Going To Treat You Like A <_____>"

Yes to quote, but not in case of racism.

Clothing doesn't matter, we wore suits in the 1920-50s with our women in sundresses and we still got harsh treatment.
  • taeboo
    taeboo Members Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

trayvon-martin-op-ed.jpg

to this

tm.jpg

LOL@white people not "thugging"....
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sully wrote: »

The Wretched of the Earth- Frantz Fanon
  • kAjUn
    kAjUn Members Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE5X0omDIBk

This is the type of mentality that gets ? profiled,arrested,shot at because the pigs think a wallet/cellphone in a black mans hands late at night must be gun or get them ultimately killed like [insert any unarmed black man's name here]...

Damn so a black male can't wear a hoody to keep himself from getting wet from the rain? Lol......

They wanted Trayvon Martin butt ass out there....nope I take that back then they would've thought he was on that black ? drug bath salt....? it I give up smgdh...

• Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    taeboo wrote: »

trayvon-martin-op-ed.jpg

to this

tm.jpg

LOL@white people not "thugging"....

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? If not, go back and reread what I said.
  • Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

trayvon-martin-op-ed.jpg

to this

tm.jpg

I don't think you get my point. His dress, the gold teeth, etc. are one thing, but the efforts to buy an illegal guy, the fighting, the stolen goods, etc. are another. So what I am saying is that Trayvon seemed to be on the path of adopting an identity that would not have done him or the black community any good. And we have to address that factors that were contributing to this.

• Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BOOGIE BOOGIE ? !
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The ? up thing about all of this is if they can make a 17 year old kid with no criminal record look like a thug imagine what these crackers would do to a ? with some misdemeanors, and when did a hoody become associated with thug life, have them tell it a hoody is like a super heroes cape and can turn an ordinary black man into super thug ? as soon as he puts the hood over his head.