Invasion revisited

Serious Juice Mayne
Serious Juice Mayne Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
Vince brought them ? in and buried all of em ... Smfh that ? should have 10 times better and lasted way longer but Vince didn't wanna see no wcw ? flourish on his ?

Even though sting didn't come over and Goldberg later ... I would of had ? poppin

Comments

• Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who knows their might be a invasion 2 when TNA crashes and burn and get bought out by WWE.
  • illestni99ainne
    illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont think vince has any interest in etna product outside a few wrestlers.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    Who knows their might be a invasion 2 when TNA crashes and burn and get bought out by WWE.

TNA doesn't have even a quarter of the brand awareness dubya see dubya had by it's end. Most people will be like "who?" I would love to see Joe Vs. Punk and Aries Vs. Bryan on a higher platform than ROH though.

The Invasion is a case of Vinnie Mac's gargantuan ego keeping him from making more money than he eventually did with the angle. I would've booked it like this myself

The guys who were available then (like Booker) "invade" WWF. They prove to be a threat and go back and forth with WWF for months one upping each other. You could even have dudes like The Radicals and Y2J align with them and go back to WCW.

Keep them feuding for the year ending with WWF being the victor and WCW vowing revenge and eventually bringing in the heavy hitters (NWO, Goldberg, Steiner etc) to help them retaliate since their contracts with AOL/Time Warner would be up by then.

With the full WCW roster now styling on WWF Vince has no choice but to turn to Paul Heyman and align with ECW to help them take down WCW for good (since WWF and ECW already had an amicable relationship at that point). That ? would've been way more entertaining and even could've set up the return of Nitro as a seperate show and everything.

Too bad the ball was dropped so badly.

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The names weren't there. It wasnt even a proper invasion because it was lead most by WCW's B-team and little known ECW acts (with the exception o Dreamer and RVD)
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So much more could've been done. Like giving WCW it's own show, keeping Nitro around. Keep the rosters separate, wouldve made for interesting "drafts" and good feuds with actual sides people could choose.

Burying it all so quick was bad for business.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VIBE wrote: »
    So much more could've been done. Like giving WCW it's own show, keeping Nitro around. Keep the rosters separate, wouldve made for interesting "drafts" and good feuds with actual sides people could choose.

Burying it all so quick was bad for business.

He didnt have a place to keep running Nitro. I guess he could have used it to replace SD but I don't think that would have worked.

He had to dissolve WCW because there was nothing that could be done with it at that time. The roster was too big also which is why so many people got released. They wouldn't have been able to run WCW separately at that time. Notice when they did the brand split the rosters were short for both brands.
  • TheBossman
    TheBossman Members Posts: 19,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the ecw/wcw invasion was a fail for th esimple fact vince didn;t want to prop the other companies talents with his.

booker t looked like a fool vs rock and austin, hell even against hhh at wm 19.

ddp looked weak, and tyall already know about goldberg.

only people that came in during that time who got shine was RVD.
  • herbalism101
    herbalism101 Members Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didnt they tweak the invasion due to HHH's injury?

Vince has always had a tendency to bury wrestlers from his competition unless they are extremely over with the fans. That's why RVD, Booker T and the Dudley Boys actually got to hold titles and carve out a legacy in WWE whereas the others just fell to the wasteside getting in where they can fit in.

That being said, I found Austin most entertaining during the invasion
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thinking about it now, it was a failure, i always thought the reason why they started it when they did was cause of HHHs quad injury, there was no need to start it right after that, they could have wait til the year was over and when the contract of wcw wreslrets were up and then slowly start an epic angle, HHH coulda still had his moment and won the wwf title at mania, then have maybe eric bischoff watch from the entrance, and HHH could say the night after on raw that bischoff "ruined his monument" and he can confront him and then have one of the wcw guys (goldberg, sting, booker t, etc) back up bischoff and have another one make an appearance on smack down, hell if you think about it, at the time in 2002, all the themed ppvs woulda make perfect sense for the invasion (backlash, judgement day, king of the ring, etc) that ? coulda been so much more
  • Mr. Rich Pryor
    Mr. Rich Pryor Members Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pryorhead7_zps94fe06a0.png
    wat a fail & fuckery dat ? wuz! goooood lawwwwd!
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? angle and nothing but Vince feeding his ego trying to prove that the WWF was far more superior than WCW and ECW.

Never understood why he waited till after The Invasion angle to bring over the NWO, Flair and Goldberg. It was WWF best vs WCW's mid card

Not to mention like always, they just had to make everything about the McMahon.
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didnt they tweak the invasion due to HHH's injury?

Yeah, I think HHH was going to be the one that double crossed WWF and joined the Alliance, not Austin.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    ya got to remember tho that wouldve been a whole lot of contracts/Money, thats two whole rosters/companies all that tv time wouldve been hard to work... ? the roster now days has trouble getting work and its prob just half of what it was during the invasion
  • Serious Juice Mayne
    Serious Juice Mayne Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? had DDP booker t Dudleys and RVD as "wcws ecws best" .....
    :/
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    They shouldn't have even done an invasion angle. Just bring in the wrestlers they want and incorporate them in normal story lines. In their own subtle way they could still do the WCW vs WWF thing. Not enough big names outside of Booker T and DDP to pull it off.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hated how the McMahons were the central part of every angle
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    ? was Power Rangers in Space... (yall nerds understandz me)
  • Cymicaldane
    Cymicaldane Members Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come on people. How would you expect anything else from a roster that included people like Shawn Stasiak and Chuck Palumbo and even Kronik
  • DOPEdweebz
    Come on people. How would you expect anything else from a roster that included people like Shawn Stasiak and Chuck Palumbo and even Kronik

Those guys had great matches in WCW actually.

DDP went from ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI_6FI6FZ0Q

to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygu7xB5XQFo

...in a matter of a singular month. Thats pretty much sums up the invasion. Potential at the beginning, but complete ? up at the end.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so many of my favorite stars ruined, booker t deserve extra hall of fame props for even surviving that ?
  • Cymicaldane
    Cymicaldane Members Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    @KingGivBiz: i give you that point. But Kronik had the worst match of 2001 at Unforgiven 2001.
    Palumbo got booted down to OVW that same month and Stasiak got hurt.
  • DOPEdweebz
    my bad @dazerfly for some reason I was typing under ya post.. this is my reply...

in WWE they sucked for the most part but in WCW they were on point. Kronik should have been giving more time but they didnt want to do the work in OVW and start over. 85% of the natural born thrillers got burnt out restarting all over again also. It was a in general just a rough transition after having the whole company's division on your back for a year or so and then going somewhere else and being a small fish in a big pond again. At least Jindrak found a home in Mexico. Always thought Sean Ohaire coulda been the next (and better version of) Batista tho, too bad Batista was already there.
  • txboi_09
    txboi_09 Members Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KingGivBiz wrote: »

Those guys had great matches in WCW actually.

DDP went from ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI_6FI6FZ0Q

to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygu7xB5XQFo

...in a matter of a singular month. Thats pretty much sums up the invasion. Potential at the beginning, but complete ? up at the end.

That DDP kane thing was hilarious I missed the whole invasion angle though