IN YOUR OPINION, WHO IS THE MOST POLITICAL BLACK ATHLETE OF ALL TIME?

Options

Comments

• MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JACKIE ROBINSON
    define "political"

BASICALLY, OPPOSING THE WHITE MAN AND HIS LAW.. NOT BEING A SLAVE TO THEY SOCIETY, AND FIGHTING FOR THEIR BELIEFS... NOT SO MUCH JUST HOLDING A SPOT IN OFFICE OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT

How was Jackie Robinson not the biggest black athlete not to do all of this? He couldve easily told buddy ? you I aint bout to do this ? and stayed in the ? Leagues.

YEAH HE IS.. BUT I THINK ALI IS JUST AS BIG FOR SAYIN "? YALL CRACKAZ, I AINT GOING TO YALL ARMY, PUT ME IN JAIL!!!"
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JACKIE ROBINSON
    moyo wrote: »
    Thread makes u wish the brothers would take stand like this now. Now a days ? say ? and then turn around and apologize for it. That's some weak ass ? , if u man enough to say it/tweet it, be man enough to stand by what u said.

EXACTLY... ? LIKE LEBRON, KOBE, SHAQ, THESE DUDES CAN/COULD MAKE A DIFFERENCE
  • TheBossman
    TheBossman Members Posts: 19,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MUHAMMAD ALI
    Ali was one of the biggest ? in history

shuckin and jivin for Howard cossell and them.white folks

he backstabbed and belittled a real hardworking black in Joe Frazier in public and u impressionable ? ate it up

WACK.
  • 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MUHAMMAD ALI

he backstabbed and belittled a real hardworking black in Joe Frazier in public and u impressionable ? ate it up

? , you Trollin'?
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    9TRAY_93EB wrote: »

? , you Trollin'?

Well he did backstabbed joe fraizer
  • TheBossman
    Options
    MUHAMMAD ALI
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    9TRAY_93EB wrote: »

? , you Trollin'?

Well he did backstabbed joe fraizer

how?

from all the stories and books i have read on that matter(and in the ali movie) ali and frazier were always cool, and did most of that ? to sell tickets. they always respected each other.
    i dare duke to post anything ali did that resemble this. i all his interviews he spoke real ? and disguised it as joke, he is was keeping it real for the black folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m2chT8HKs8
  • TheBossman
    Options
    MUHAMMAD ALI
    Allen Iverson , he made cornrows , tats and hiphop cool in the league
    apples and oranges. the men posted were political activist/rights. iverson made his mark on pop culture.
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MUHAMMAD ALI
    Damn this is a difficult one because a lot of those guys had a serious impact and a soapbox they actually used to try and further the cause for racial equality..............................

Even though like @DavidRuffin said what Ali did to Joe Frazier and some of the other brotha's he boxed was wrong I guess I would have to go with Ali for the simple fact that he was so vocal and in the forefront of the movement, the guy went to jail for his beliefs. Wasn't shy and didn't distance himself away from the teachings of the N.O.I.

Jim Brown is a serious close 2nd.
  • aka_OG
    aka_OG Members Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JACK JOHNSON
    In an era where blacks were regularly lynched for beating up white men or being in relationships with white women, Johnson did both in the public eye.

RockSalute.gif
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm sorry. I can't give Jack Johnson "political" props just for smashing cave bishes. He wasn't no hero for that, he was just a typical cave-bish loving, thirsty ass nikka that wanted some white trophy ? to go along with the rest of his "expensive" ? .

• Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    define "political"

BASICALLY, OPPOSING THE WHITE MAN AND HIS LAW.. NOT BEING A SLAVE TO THEY SOCIETY, AND FIGHTING FOR THEIR BELIEFS... NOT SO MUCH JUST HOLDING A SPOT IN OFFICE OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT

Jason Collins
  • aka_OG
    aka_OG Members Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JACK JOHNSON
    I'm sorry. I can't give Jack Johnson "political" props just for smashing cave bishes. He wasn't no hero for that, he was just a typical cave-bish loving, thirsty ass nikka that wanted some white trophy ? to go along with the rest of his "expensive" ? .

Those catching feelings aren't looking at all those listed in context...

He was the only person listed that ACTUALLY risked his life doing what he did. Imagine the amount of attempts on his daily life??

Forget succeeding in boxing and smashing white broads - just by being wealthy during that time period alone was a death wish. AND NO FUCCS WERE GIVEN. The powers that be at the time couldn't wait to get this dude out the spotlight....

Granted he obviously didnt start no civil rights movement or tried to bring about world peace - but he like the rest on d list went against the tide of their time
  • TheIraq
    TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MUHAMMAD ALI
    Black athletes don't say ? about race or the white man nowadays........ ? you talkin about? ? wore hoodies but none of them every said ? about bein down with "the cause" or said ? about racial injustice......... Too many endorsement deals to lose for all that ? .................... These ? now probably talk about bein down with these wack ass rapper but none of these ? really speak on issues that matter in our community..... These ? are puppets and robots......................... They only give a ? about dollars and cents.................
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shout out to the player formally known as chris jackson.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shout out to the player formally known as chris jackson.

He wasn't on quite the same level as an athlete as the others but he deserves a mention.

He basically did the exact same thing Ali and Kareem did with a lil more bite behind it.
  • CockMcStuffins
    CockMcStuffins Members Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    in a press conference for their third fight, Ali literally told the media that Joe Frazier "ain't have no shuffle" like he does

if that ain't the most coontastic ? ever then I don't know what is....? basically just admitted that he be shuffling for them white folks
  • TheBossman
    Options
    MUHAMMAD ALI
    in a press conference for their third fight, Ali literally told the media that Joe Frazier "ain't have no shuffle" like he does

if that ain't the most coontastic ? ever then I don't know what is....? basically just admitted that he be shuffling for them white folks

OR ali could have meant fraizer didn't have the in ring footwork he did......
  • S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JESSE OWENS
    Why the nosign @undergroundraplegend ?
  • proud_babydaddy
    proud_babydaddy Members Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    Options
    JIM BROWN
    Rosie Greer, Billy Jean King. Missing names
  • gman82
    gman82 Members Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JIM BROWN
    I vote for Jim Brown, but I wanted to vote for Ali as well. They both gave back to their people, stood up for their beliefs, scared white people, and didn't care what they thought of them.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MUHAMMAD ALI
    Ali gave up the belt and faced 5 years in prison for his beliefs.
  • Undergroundraplegend
    Undergroundraplegend Members Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    MUHAMMAD ALI
    S.jR. wrote: »
    Why the nosign @undergroundraplegend ?

My bad.

@S.jR. I mostly am on my phone when Im on this forum I accidently sometimes hit reactions sometimes.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JIM BROWN
    Ali, Kareem, Jesse Owens, and Jim Brown... Brown prob the realest
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MUHAMMAD ALI
    i dont think black athletes today even claim they are about it