The Wolverine (2013)

Options

Comments

• DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You don't realize how important his healing power really is til it's gone.
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    viper basically weakened him but his powers wasn't completely gone he just couldn't heal rapidly that's why he survived all those gun shots
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    viper basically weakened him but his powers wasn't completely gone he just couldn't heal rapidly that's why he survived all those gun shots

Ya I had a feeling it was more slowed down then anything he was getting popped AND stabbed but that lab scene GOTDAMN logan realest dude breathing.
  • vageneral08
    Options
    Damn this thread is only 3 pages? lol I guess ya'll wasnt feeling it.....it was aight overall more of bigger storyline than alot of action
  • Carthaginian
    Carthaginian Members Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »
    One thing that got me is that wolverine needs to go do some training. He was far from the "best of what I do". Kept getting shot, stabbed, sliced, punched, kicked. But it's by other well trained fighters, so I let it slide at first. But Yukio fights that dude in the lab and doesn't get a scratch on her. That healing factor might have him walking round too damn cocky and reckeless. Seemed real sloppy with them paws

That's the one of the things I think the movies haven't been able to capture. There's such a focus on showing off his healing factor that his fighting skill (some of it japanese-based ironically enough) is not really displayed.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Healing powers slowed down or not, that ? shoulda died like 2x from gettin shot lol

I still enjoyed the movie though. Glad I changed my mind and saw it
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How does this movie take place after the trilogy? I wish they would give him a damn suite.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    7.5 way better than origins

Viper was a wack villian tho.
  • vageneral08
    Options
    Freudian wrote: »
    kzzl wrote: »
    One thing that got me is that wolverine needs to go do some training. He was far from the "best of what I do". Kept getting shot, stabbed, sliced, punched, kicked. But it's by other well trained fighters, so I let it slide at first. But Yukio fights that dude in the lab and doesn't get a scratch on her. That healing factor might have him walking round too damn cocky and reckeless. Seemed real sloppy with them paws

That's the one of the things I think the movies haven't been able to capture. There's such a focus on showing off his healing factor that his fighting skill (some of it japanese-based ironically enough) is not really displayed.

People seem to forget wolverine when he fights mad as ? he's always sloppy with the skills he knows he has his healing powers so if he gets shot or stab he will heal back plus one vicious swipe from his claws will ? any human
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Healing powers slowed down or not, that ? shoulda died like 2x from gettin shot lol

I still enjoyed the movie though. Glad I changed my mind and saw it

Alpha said too many gotdamn bullets ? lol
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Was alright. Last 15 minutes were bullcrap, though.
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ripping the spider off heart was GOAT, that scene alone made movie worth the $10
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Another whack movie
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    that ? was 100x better than the first one
    it was a very good movie
  • sdotcarter111
    sdotcarter111 Members Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Way too much ? Jean Grey.

And all that fighting, and not one spurt of blood. Plus Logan stay getting dealt with by whoever he fights. ? can't throw claws for ? . Only time he hits anyone is after they run him through and can't get away.

Movie Wolverine need to take a karate class or something.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Jean Grey parts were him slowly coming to terms with letting her go, and not wanting to die just to be with her.

and there was blood on his claws a couple times, it just wasn't obviously apparent.
  • sdotcarter111
    edited August 2013
    Options
    The Jean Grey parts were him slowly coming to terms with letting her go, and not wanting to die just to be with her.

and there was blood on his claws a couple times, it just wasn't obviously apparent.

I know why Jean Grey was in the movie. There was just too much of her. And blood on the claws doesn't do anything. Talking bout labor pains, show me the baby. If any movie should have blood flying around and limbs getting lopped off, its Wolverine.

Its too bad they went the safe route instead of making it real.
  • texas409
    Options

I know why Jean Grey was in the movie. There was just too much of her. And blood on the claws doesn't do anything. Talking bout labor pains, show me the baby. If any movie should have blood flying around and limbs getting lopped off, its Wolverine.

? shut up and go watch a slasher movie if you wanna see all that ?
  • sdotcarter111
    edited August 2013
    Options
    texas409 wrote: »

? Wolverine IS a slasher.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options

Case in point

9ll8py.jpg

6_newxmen148.jpg

let's not forget Old Man Logan who was written by the guy Fox has entrusted to oversee their Marvel movies, Mark Millar.

1z35jd4.jpg

4ndkk.jpg

2gwch2t.jpg

wunq4z.jpg

At the same time these movies are meant to appeal to a much greater demographic including kids (who don't even read comic books anymore like my generation did growing up). So you can't expect to see ultra gory hyper violence in any of them.

The one thing that does bother me about movie Wolverine is not that they don't let him cut loose (no pun) during fights it's his actual characterization. He's soft as marshmallows and comes across as a poser trying to imitate a bad ass and not a genuine badass. So he's nowhere near as compelling as his comic book counterpart is to me which is always a fail with superhero movies.

If you can't give me a version of the character that isn't necessarily identical but still is as interesting as the one I'm familiar with then I don't feel you succeeded and that's the case with the X-Men movies. Not just the Wolverine character either but also Cyclops, Jean Grey, Storm, Angel, Magneto, Colossus and Iceman as well who are all characters I always liked more than Wolverine.
  • texas409
    Options
    did he start off in the 60s as a limb cutting slasher? or are those comics more recent versions?

ill wait
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wolverine didn't exist in the 60's he was created in the early 1970's. But in his debut appearances he was slicing and stabbing the Incredible Hulk. Wolverine has always stabbed and dismembered foes.

3029014-5208431965-21469.jpg

The difference is no blood was shown until the late 90's because the comics code got more lenient. I don't really care about that; again my problem is strictly with characterization. I don't feel like I'm watching Wolverine I feel like I'm watching an impostor.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

Case in point

9ll8py.jpg

6_newxmen148.jpg

let's not forget Old Man Logan who was written by the guy Fox has entrusted to oversee their Marvel movies, Mark Millar.

1z35jd4.jpg

4ndkk.jpg

2gwch2t.jpg

wunq4z.jpg

At the same time these movies are meant to appeal to a much greater demographic including kids (who don't even read comic books anymore like my generation did growing up). So you can't expect to see ultra gory hyper violence in any of them.

If you can't give me a version of the character that isn't necessarily identical but still is as interesting as the one I'm familiar with then I don't feel you succeeded and that's the case with the X-Men movies. Not just the Wolverine character either but also Cyclops, Jean Grey, Storm, Angel, Magneto, Colossus and Iceman as well who are all characters I always liked more than Wolverine.

cosign.jpg

Well said, Broddie. That's what a lot of these director and screen writin' ? don't understand. They don't get the core elements that make these characters "tick," and thus essentially missing what has made them popular for decades. Nolan can the close with The Batman and he hit the nail on the head with The Joker. Heather Ledger's performance as The Joker was literally what I've been reading for close to thirty years. Synder got The Watchmen right, but like Alan Moore's perpetually angry ass said, The Watchmen wasn't meant to be on film that's why it might have lost something in the translation. Which brings us to X-Men

I get the feeling that instead of bringing a film adaption of certain story arches, Ratner and especially Singer are using powerful and classic X-Men story lines for there one wack ass ideas. It's like their saying, "I'mma use this general tone and feel of this story and interject this random ? . Which was why X 3 was straight ass. The Dark Phoneix Saga isn't Logan's story, it's Jeannie's and Scott story and how Jeannie was corrupted by this ? like entity. Dark Phoneix Saga is the story of mere human suddenly having omnipotence thrust upon them, then not having the experience or mental capacity to handle it.

Broddie wrote: »
    The one thing that does bother me about movie Wolverine is not that they don't let him cut loose (no pun) during fights it's his actual characterization. He's soft as marshmallows and comes across as a poser trying to imitate a bad ass and not a genuine badass. So he's nowhere near as compelling as his comic book counterpart is to me which is always a fail with superhero movies.

I've said the same thing, we've never really seen Wolverine's berserker rages. Cats don't understand that for the longest time Wolverine was a danger to his teammates, in one of my Classic X-Men issues, they were either in a Danger Room training session or in battle, when Wolverine turns and nearly disembowls Angel. Warren then goes on to ? to Pro. X about how could he let this "little ? ," on to the team.

Also, Singer ? up by not using a set of films with the original team which was:

$(KGrHqNHJDEFBN74B5gkBQbVobHvUQ~~60_12.JPG

Xavier, recruited Scott, Jeannie, Bobby, Warren, and Hank to the team when they were teenagers and he was able to coach and mold them into the team he wanted them to be. However, when he recruited:

100-2.jpg

Logan, Kurt, Ororo, Piotr, Sean, Sunfire (who left the team) and Thunderbird (,who died because he felt he had to keep with with Logan.) Xavier was dealing with adults who knew how to use their powers, but Xavier was treating them as if they were still kids. This obviously caused conflict within the team (especially with Logan.) Then there was the battle of wills between Cyclops and Wolverine, the movie touched on this a little bit, but there was a long animosity between Logan and Scott, that was until the Proteous Saga.

Another point Singer royally ? up on is Storm. When the new team was introduced, Wolverine was very much a supporting character, after Scott left, then the focus was shifted to Ororo and she got major shine and she became the team's field leader. I have to give props to Claremont for his characterization of Storm. He made strong, compassionate, regal, confident, (except when she's in confined spaces,) most of all he portrayed Storm with this command presence and when Scott and Xavier left, it only made sense for Ororo to lead the team, Also Storm is arguably the most powerful member of the team. Singer didn't give her any of these qualities in the movie. Not only was Halle Berry miscast as Storm, he had her totally out of character. In one of the movies, Storm, said that she "hated humans." Storm would never say anything like that as a matter of fact she convey the complete opposite and say that she felt sorry for mankind and that she could find a way for homosapien and ? superior to peacefully co-exist. The issue isn't Sony having the rights to X-Men. The issue is screen writers and directors who don't understand the property and feel as if the way to tell a story is to force Wolverine into it. However, First Class proves that you don't need Wolverine to have a successful X-Men movie.

• soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Question

I barely brought myself to watch First Class after that ? X-Men Origins movie, but it was enjoyable. Why should people who hated Origins want to see another Wolverine movie at this point?
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea, I don't plan on even watching this on homebox bruh. wack ? . I could knock movie wolverine the ? out with ease.