Question About Referees In ALL Sports

Options
blackrain
blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
Why do they tend to be old as ? ? You would think you'd want people who were a bit younger and faster to be able to make alot of the quick, split second calls that happen in every game that's played. Especially in a sport like football, why do the ref's/officials tend to be on the older side as opposed to younger, more athletic people?

Comments

• lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    experience and knowledge>>>>>young and fast

might have to look at the process of becoming a ref tho for the real answer...I don't know how it works...i assume they want years at high school level, then years in college sports...and just like the government the old ass workers won't retire b/c the money is good. Football is different b/c it's once a week and the travel isn't as bad as the other sports...so a lot of these guys ref as a hobby then somehow got into the NFL
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The refs only have to watch, they don't actually have to play defense.

Most coaches are 50+ too. Does that mean every coach should be 25 in order to accurately process what they see on the court?
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    all i need the refs to do old or young is to remember that they are in an arena/stadium and not a playground/parking lot where guys start pulling out knives and guns and just let them play
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good thing I don't watch baseball. I'd be ? .