How are Developers Using Xbox One's Kinect?

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

It knows who you are. It knows where you live.

In a recent blog post, Microsoft has revealed a couple of interesting new tidbits on the way its developers are using the Xbox One Kinect sensor, which Rare. Ltd's Nick Burton claims has "ten times the power of its predecessor."

"It can register a fingertip from three meters away, a feat that was impossible last generation, and its wider field of tracking means it can register more players and at closer distances."

Burton, Rare's New Technology Development Lead, is currently working on Kinect Sports Rivals, a game that will place great emphasis on subtlety of movement. A hard or gentle twist of the wrist while revving a jet ski will affect its acceleration, for example, and specific hand placement during rock climbing will actually be reflected onscreen.

It's the way your Champion will actually be 'built' in the game, however, that speaks of an upgrade the loudest. Rather than using your Xbox Avatar like in previous Kinect Sports titles, the Kinect will "capture your ? structure, hair, skin color, body composition and even expression, and build a remarkably accurate virtual athlete - your Champion - in seconds."

As we outlined in our Comic-Con coverage, the new Kinect will offer a more personalized gaming experience. Creative Director at Microsoft Studios Kenn Lobb goes on to elaborate how the sensor will recognize new players and adjust the game accordingly.

"In fighting games, players like to map their buttons all over the controller. So when playing Killer Instinct, once you make a profile and set your preferred button configuration, Kinect will instantly recognize when you’re holding the controller and map the buttons accordingly, even if it’s in the middle of a match."

You can read the full post, which also outlines Xbox One Cloud, graphical fidelity and second screen features here.

Comments

• themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? .....motion controls
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "It's thinking."
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only good feature I see on there is it being able to recognize faces and automatically load profiles when the controller is passed to another person.

I wonder if the Move 2's ? recognition is good enough for that.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Everything i've been hearing and seeing about the new Kinect sounds dope. Micro$oft kind of ? themselves by overpromising and under delivering with the original Kinect, so the ? perception is skewed with XBOX One's Kinect.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I admit the Kinect 2 seems to be a very impressive piece of hardware. I still haven't seen all that much that will apply to good gaming, and of the few things that probably will be good for gaming, the Move 2 can probably do them too. I'll reserve judgement though because you never know what a clever developer can do with the right equipment and opportunity.
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    enjoy your government spy tool xbone owners...
  • focus
    Options

Kinect can be completely turned off. M$ confirmed this 2 months ago in detail.

Anyway, the NSA is tracking you right now. You are on the internet. You have a cell phone.

You ? act like you Al Capone or somebody. You'd have to be on some America's Dumbest Criminal's ? to do something illegal in front of a camera, any camera, anyway.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can't wait to run around in COD with my scaredy face on.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    focus wrote: »

Kinect can be completely turned off. M$ confirmed this 2 months ago in detail.

Anyway, the NSA is tracking you right now. You are on the internet. You have a cell phone.

You ? act like you Al Capone or somebody. You'd have to be on some America's Dumbest Criminal's ? to do something illegal in front of a camera, any camera, anyway.

I got to agree here. All these losers that play video games 16 hours a day really think the government gives a ? about watching their slob ? sit on a couch wasting their lives away. FOH
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just heard about the new SKUs that may come out and I gotta say I liked the idea of making Kinect bundled with the system.. Personally I think it allowed for Devs to try and change the way games are played for the better.. Not full motion control of course but something new.. Im have been pretty skeptical lately about both consoles and are they really going to be next gen... enhanced graphics doesn't mean next gen to me.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Still not interested. Would rather that money go into game development for GOOD software.Motion controls have proven to be a gimmicky addind nothing but accessibility for casual gamers.I am glad that Sony is not created move 2 and I hope they never do.They are focusing on games like TLoU which is what gaming is about.The WiiU pad is a failure too.
  • focus
    edited July 2013
    Options
    M$ said just yesterday they have no plans for a Kinect-less XBOX One.

"We have no plans to introduce an Xbox One without Kinect. We believe in Kinect and the value it brings to both games and entertainment, and believe $499 is a great value for what consumers receive with their Xbox One.”

I think it would be kind of cool if like how in Call of Duty now, when you ? someone, it captures their mic audio and automatically lets you hear them grief or rage or whatever. Kinect could pop up a visual.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I don't care about motion controls, but I do think it's pretty shortsighted to act like nothing good could come out from Microsoft and Sony putting real effort into it. The Kinect and Move were tacked on this generation. They never went all in with them. We might be surprised with they come up with next generation with putting real effort into it.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I don't care about motion controls, but I do think it's pretty shortsighted to act like nothing good could come out from Microsoft and Sony putting real effort into it. The Kinect and Move were tacked on this generation. They never went all in with them. We might be surprised with they come up with next generation with putting real effort into it.

the fact is it is impossible for them to create something that is an extension of your body or make you the controller like MS claims.Anything that advanced would be too expensive any. The Wii has exhausted that market long ago so that ship has already sailed with MS not realizing. The PS4 is kicking the ? out of the X1 in preorders despite this new version of kinect for a reason. The masses are not interested.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

the fact is it is impossible for them to create something that is an extension of your body or make you the controller like MS claims.Anything that advanced would be too expensive any. The Wii has exhausted that market long ago so that ship has already sailed with MS not realizing. The PS4 is kicking the ? out of the X1 in preorders despite this new version of kinect for a reason. The masses are not interested.

This isn't true. Even in the small amount of time the Move was out, it did a better job of integrating motion control into standard games especially in the case of FPS. You're crazy if you think that given a little time and most focus in that area, that they couldn't do things even more impressive. If the consensus from the gaming industry was that motion control gaming didn't matter, Sony and Microsoft wouldn't have put so many resources into trying to evolve their motion control devices. They really could have just made Kinect/Move from this generation compatible with the next gen consoles.
  • focus
    edited July 2013
    Options
    ? really need to stop mentioning Move/Eye in the same breath as Kinect 2.0. Two totally different leagues in terms of sales, technology, and vision. One does not beget the other.

• The Lonious Monk
    Options
    ? really need to stop mentioning Move/Eye in the same breathe as Kinect 2.0. Two totally different leagues in terms of sales, technology, and vision. One does not beget the other.

I agree that the Kinect 2 is much more advanced than the Move 2. At the end of the day though, the only thing that matters is how much either peripheral can enhance the gaming experience. From what I've seen so far, the "Big Innovations" brought on by the superiority of the Kinect 2 are only resulting in novelty type additions to games. Nothing at all impressive from a gaming standpoint. To me the Move 2 is the better peripheral for gaming. With all the greatness surrounding the Kinect 2, without the controller compatibility of the Move, it's still not as versatile for gaming. Now that could change, and maybe developers will come up with stuff that really shows how much the Kinect 2 blows the Move 2 out of water, but at this point I still think that Kinect 2 will bring the better bells and whistles to the games its used for while the Move 2 will make for better and more varied games.
  • focus
    Options

I agree that the Kinect 2 is much more advanced than the Move 2. At the end of the day though, the only thing that matters is how much either peripheral can enhance the gaming experience. From what I've seen so far, the "Big Innovations" brought on by the superiority of the Kinect 2 are only resulting in novelty type additions to games. Nothing at all impressive from a gaming standpoint. To me the Move 2 is the better peripheral for gaming. With all the greatness surrounding the Kinect 2, without the controller compatibility of the Move, it's still not as versatile for gaming. Now that could change, and maybe developers will come up with stuff that really shows how much the Kinect 2 blows the Move 2 out of water, but at this point I still think that Kinect 2 will bring the better bells and whistles to the games its used for while the Move 2 will make for better and more varied games.
    ? really need to stop mentioning Move/Eye in the same breathe as Kinect 2.0. Two totally different leagues in terms of sales, technology, and vision. One does not beget the other.

• The Lonious Monk
    Options
    You can deflect as much as you want. Your fanboy favoritism won't change facts. As long as the Move 2 has companion peripherals, it will be applicable to a wider variety of gaming applications than the Kinect 2, no matter how much more technologically advanced the Kinect 2 is.
  • focus
    edited July 2013
    Options
    You can deflect as much as you want. Your fanboy favoritism won't change facts. As long as the Move 2 has companion peripherals, it will be applicable to a wider variety of gaming applications than the Kinect 2, no matter how much more technologically advanced the Kinect 2 is.

LOL @ "facts". For the record, "Move 2" isn't even a thing that exist. Just something else you made up and keep mentioning in this thread about Kinect 2.0 for some unknown reason. Yet you have somehow convinced yourself it will be better in some nebulus way based on absolutely nothing? Ok. LOL.
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited July 2013
    Options

LOL @ "facts". For the record, "Move 2" isn't even a thing that exist. Just something else you made up an keep mentioning in this thread about Kinect 2.0 for some unknown reason. Yet you have somehow convinced yourself it will be better in some nebulus way based on absolutely nothing? Ok. LOL.

Ummm is that your best response? I didn't make it up. It's what they were initially calling the Eye 2 coupled with it's compatibility with the DS4 and the Move controllers. I say Move 2 in order to encompass all those capabilities rather than just whatever technical upgrades exist purely within the Eye 2.

And there is nothing nebulus or baseless about what, I've said in it's comparison to the Kinect 2.

I've already fully defined why it is better for gaming. By not having the extra peripheral, the Kinect 2 will be limited to games that can be controlled by body movement and voice. The Move 2 on the other hand can do that too (albeit it to a much lesser degree) but being that it can be paired with the DS4 and Move controllers, it has extra functionality that the Kinect 2 just can't provide as far as I've seen.

Think of something like Skyrim. You could use the Move 2 to make a motion based version of that game without losing any functionality because things like opening menus, using special attack, character movement, etc... can all be done via the Move controller. As far as I know, there is no way to replicate all of that using the Kinect 2. Now if I'm mistaken and the Kinect 2 has the capabilities to do that, let me know, but I haven't seen anything so far.

It's the same reason why you had FPS games that were Move compatible yet you didn't see the same thing for the Kinect. The Kinect was technologically better than the Eye when it came to motion capture, but it still didn't have any thing to replicate the more complex features of FPS games.