Sony Puts Gran Turismo Movie In Gear

Options
dontdiedontkillanyon
dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
Sony Puts Gran Turismo Movie In Gear
Ladies and gentlemen, start your Playstations

24 July 2013 | Written by Owen Williams | Source: The Wrap

gran-turismo-movie-still.jpg

Not to be outdone by Electronic Arts and their Need For Speed movie, Sony have now buckled up for a car racing movie franchise of their own. According to The Wrap, producers Michael De Luca and Dana Brunetti are now on track for a Gran Turismo film, following on from their work bringing The Social Network to the big screen, as well as Sam Taylor-Wood's upcoming adaptation of literary sensation 50 Shades Of Grey.

Game developers Polyphony Digital have been making Gran Turismo games for over 16 years now, with the latest in the 70 million units-selling franchise, Gran Turismo 6, due out late this year. No director, actor or scriptwriter has been announced as yet, but with the success of Brunetti and De Luca's previous work, there's a decent chance high quality talent will be attracted to this project.

As well as Need For Speed - and the on-going Fast And Furious franchise - there's competition from another source too, namely Legendary's attempts to make a movie out of the Hot Wheels toy line. With Gran Turismo's emphasis on super-sleek supercars and beautiful locations, it's a safe bet the film will take a different tone to the likes of Hot Wheels, but it's interesting to note that when it comes to racing movies, when it rains, it pours.

There's no earmarked release date for the Gran Turismo project, but here's hoping no-one will get it confused with Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino (which came out on February 27, 2009, so that should help keep them straight).

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=38235

Comments

• Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    LMFAO "let's make a movie based on a game with no existing storyline or narrative premise"

I wonder if the racers will be playing bumper cars on a track for 2 hours with their cars showing no visible damage by the end.

• joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If people flock to Fast n the Furious, then why not?
  • Broddie
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Comparing this to Fast and Furious is inaccurate. It doesn't even deal with street racing and those movies have always covered more than racing too (heists, non-vehicle action set pieces etc). Need for Speed will be a better comparison to F&F as that IP is more flexible for that type of treatment. This is more like Days of Thunder or Driven which were both very boring movies. I'm still laughing at the ? of War fans in tears all over the net because SCE got a GT movie going before one with Kratos.
  • joshuaboy
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    Comparing this to Fast and Furious is inaccurate. It doesn't even deal with street racing and those movies have always covered more than racing too (heists, non-vehicle action set pieces etc). Need for Speed will be a better comparison to F&F as that IP is more flexible for that type of treatment. This is more like Days of Thunder or Driven which were both very boring movies. I'm still laughing at the ? of War fans in tears all over the net because SCE got a GT movie going before one with Kratos.

Racing movies (track style) are popular in Japan and Europe. F&F was a shame to the import scene after they gave the ricer culture popularity hence the reason the focus has since been taken away from racing and they have been good from 4 up. A proper pro racing movie can do well. Motor racing is the third most popular sport in the world so it will have its audience.

Then again, it could be a low budget made for PSN flick
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    edited July 2013
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You guys talk some ? .
  • Broddie
    edited July 2013
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »

Racing movies (track style) are popular in Japan and Europe. F&F was a shame to the import scene after they gave the ricer culture popularity hence the reason the focus has since been taken away from racing and they have been good from 4 up. A proper pro racing movie can do well. Motor racing is the third most popular sport in the world so it will have its audience.

Most people consider the 4th one to be awful. I've never been able to sit through the entire movie myself. People like the first movie and Fast Five and the last one for the most part. They've all made money from the beginning and I personally didn't like any of them till Tokyo Drift since it focused the most on racing. It was also the lowest grossing one. Racing may be a popular sport but that doesn't mean it will translate into popular movies. Every movie that has been made dedicated only to that sports sub genre without adding other genre tropes has failed critically and financially so far.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As someone currently watching the entire Fast & Furious series right now:

"The Fast & The Furious" - The best one overall so far
    "2 Fast 2 Furious" - Surprisenly Good.
    "Tokyo Drift" - Great racing...terrible, terrible story
    "Fast & Furious" - Something...went wrong here? But its nice to have the OG cast back.

I haven't watched 5 or 6 yet, but I hear they are the best ones.

I don't care about a Gran Turismo movie.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    As someone currently watching the entire Fast & Furious series right now:

"The Fast & The Furious" - The best one overall so far
    "2 Fast 2 Furious" - Surprisenly Good.
    "Tokyo Drift" - Great racing...terrible, terrible story
    "Fast & Furious" - Something...went wrong here? But its nice to have the OG cast back.

I haven't watched 5 or 6 yet, but I hear they are the best ones.

I don't care about a Gran Turismo movie.
    5 is pretty cool, 6 was better .. cant wait for 7
  • joshuaboy
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »

Most people consider the 4th one to be awful. I've never been able to sit through the entire movie myself. People like the first movie and Fast Five and the last one for the most part. They've all made money from the beginning and I personally didn't like any of them till Tokyo Drift since it focused the most on racing. It was also the lowest grossing one. Racing may be a popular sport but that doesn't mean it will translate into popular movies. Every movie that has been made dedicated only to that sports sub genre without adding other genre tropes has failed critically and financially so far.

That's probably because they were fans of the first 3. People like myself that were involved in racing (I can't really class us as the "import scene" because where I live everything is imported (JDM, USDM and Euro). Fast and the Furious made this popular ...

tool.jpg

th?id=H.4806267052819092&pid=1.7

2fast%202furious%20lancer%20front_t.jpg

........ not to mention made the import drag racing scene a laughing stock. Cars falling apart in the middle of the race, engine blowing ........... park up for 10 mins, then when the cops show up the car starts and drives perfectly (as well as the flooring reappeared) lol. I know this is all trivial but as racers, we were disgusted at it. FF3 was so bad they put 2 Japanese racing legends in there as a cameo and nobody cared.

FF4 was not all that but it was a step away from the emphasis being on racing. I liked FF5 the best. Waiting for a decent BR torrent to drop to watch 6.
  • Batman.
    Batman. Members Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tokyo Drift and FF1 is the best.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I don't think Ive ever sat through a FF.
  • Karl.
    Options
  • Karl.
    Options
    . Every movie that has been made dedicated only to that sports sub genre without adding other genre tropes has failed critically and financially so far.

What do you actually mean by this? How can you make a racing film without adding drama or comedy etc. to it?
  • joshuaboy
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »
    @joshuaboy shut up, nerd.

you just mad my car can beat your car :-B
  • Broddie
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »
    . Every movie that has been made dedicated only to that sports sub genre without adding other genre tropes has failed critically and financially so far.

What do you actually mean by this? How can you make a racing film without adding drama or comedy etc. to it?

I mean like how Death Race 2000 had gladiator combat between cars and wasn't just a conventional racing movie. Or how the Fast & Furious series is now a series of heist movies and not just about conventional racing. Naturally there will be drama in a car racer's life like there is drama in everybody's life. It just hasn't shown to be compelling enough to carry an entire movie as seen with movies like Days of Thunder and Driven.
  • earth two superman
    Options
    Drive is still the best movie having anything to do with cars.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This could either be good or bad. Since GT has no real story to it, that leaves the writers to make one. That's where the first indication of whether it'll be good or not is, if they come up with a corny ass story then it'll be ? .
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gran Turismo:The Movie. Someone actually greenlit this ? ?
  • joshuaboy
    Options
    This could either be good or bad. Since GT has no real story to it, that leaves the writers to make one. That's where the first indication of whether it'll be good or not is, if they come up with a corny ass story then it'll be ? .

Only one way a racing story can go. Start off a rookie, work your way up the ranks, couple opponents try to get you throw out or injured, throw in a fight scene, a beautiful woman and a happy ending (winning the championship) ..... THE END!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Karl.
    Options

Taxi Driver >>>>
  • Karl.
    Options

Taxi Driver >>>>
  • earth two superman
    Options
    taxi driver is on a whole different level. but yeah, I suppose if u consider it a car movie.