Slavery Reparations Sought By Caribbean Nations For 'Lingering Legacy Of Atlantic Slave Trade

Ajackson17
Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2013 in The Social Lounge
MIAMI — Leaders of more than a dozen Caribbean countries are launching a united effort to seek compensation from three European nations for what they say is the lingering legacy of the Atlantic slave trade.

The Caribbean Community, a regional organization that typically focuses on rather dry issues such as economic integration, has taken up the cause of compensation for slavery and the genocide of native peoples and is preparing for what would likely be a drawn-out battle with the governments of Britain, France and the Netherlands.

Caricom, as the organization is known, has enlisted the help of a prominent British human rights law firm and is creating a Reparations Commission to press the issue, said Ralph Gonsalves, the prime minister of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, who has been leading the effort.

The legacy of slavery includes widespread poverty and the lack of development that characterizes most of the region, Gonsalves said, adding that any settlement should include a formal apology, but contrition alone would not be sufficient.

"The apology is important but that is wholly insufficient," he said in a phone interview Wednesday with The Associated Press. "We have to have appropriate recompense."

The notion of forcing the countries that benefited from slavery to pay reparations has been a decades-long quest. Individual countries including Jamaica and Antigua and Barbuda already had existing national commissions. Earlier this month, leaders from the 14 Caricom nations voted unanimously at a meeting in Trinidad to wage a joint campaign that those involved say would be more ambitious than any previous effort.

Each nation that does not have a national reparations commission agreed to set one up, sending a representative to the regional commission, which would be overseen by prime ministers. They agreed to focus on Britain on behalf of the English-speaking Caribbean as well as France for the slavery in Haiti and the Netherlands for Suriname, a former Dutch colony on the northeastern edge of South America that is a member of Caricom.

In addition, they brought on the British law firm of Leigh Day, which waged a successful fight for compensation for hundreds of Kenyans who were tortured by the British colonial government as they fought for the liberation of their country during the so-called Mau Mau rebellion of the 1950s and 1960s.

Attorney Martyn Day said his first step would likely be to seek a negotiated settlement with the governments of France, Britain and Netherlands along the lines of the British agreement in June to issue a statement of regret and award compensation of about $21.5 million to the surviving Kenyans.

"I think they would undoubtedly want to try and see if this can be resolved amicably," Day said of the Caribbean countries. "But I think the reason they have hired us is that they want to show that they mean business."

Caribbean officials have not mentioned a specific monetary figure but Gonsalves and Verene Shepherd, chairwoman of the national reparations commission in Jamaica, both mentioned the fact that Britain at the time of emancipation in 1834 paid 20 million pounds to British planters in the Caribbean, the equivalent of 200 billion pounds today.

"Our ancestors got nothing," Shepherd said. "They got their freedom and they were told `Go develop yourselves.'"

British High Commissioner to Jamaica David Fitton was quizzed on the issue Wednesday during a radio interview and said that the Mau Mau case was not meant to be a precedent and that his government opposes reparations for slavery.

"We don't think the issue of reparations is the right way to address these issues," Fitton said. "It's not the right way to address an historical problem."

In 2007, marking the 200th anniversary of the British prohibition on the transportation of slaves, then British Prime Minister Tony Blair expressed regret for the "unbearable suffering" caused by his country's role in slavery. After the devastating Haitian earthquake in January 2010, then French President Nicolas Sarkozy was asked about reparations for slavery and the 90 million gold francs demanded by Napoleon to recognize the country's independence. Sarkozy acknolwedged the "wounds of colonization," and pointed out that France had canceled a 56 million euro debt to Paris and approved an aid package that included 40 million euros in budget support for the Haitian government.

Gonsalves said far more needs to be done and he hopes to begin an "honest, sober and robust," discussion with the European governments soon and intends to champion the issue when he becomes the chairman of Caricom in January. "You have to seize the time," he said.

I hope they get it too.

Comments

700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they get a check I better get a check too
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They deserve it.

They wont see a penny of it.

If they really want to punish these Nations they should go the way of the Arabs. Terrorist attacks make whites panic and take away the rights of their own citizens. Dont just ? them. Make them do like what this country is doing and ? themselves from the inside. SLOWLY.

THe biggest threat to freedom in the US since the 80s has been the United States government itself. These ? aint seeing a penny of reparations. So go for the next best thing.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well my family is from St.Croix so I wonder how that would work if you ancestors were from the Caribbean but you live in the United States hmmmm.
  • Darth Sidious
    Darth Sidious Members Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darxwell wrote: »
    They deserve it.

If they really want to punish these Nations they should go the way of the Arabs. Terrorist attacks make whites angry panic and take away the rights of their own citizens. Dont just ? them. Make them do like what this country is doing and ? themselves from the inside. SLOWLY.

THe biggest threat to freedom in the US since the 80s has been the United States government itself. These ? aint seeing a penny of reparations. So go for the next best thing.

Fixed that for ya

saddam_.jpg

time-osama_1885571c.jpg

• Batman.
    Batman. Members Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think they should be getting reparations but rather investments to improve economic sustainability. There should be accountability checks and performance measurement to ensure that the money is actually going to the people for the right things. Not into wealthy people's pockets.
  • Darth Sidious
    Darth Sidious Members Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two of my close relatives have done work in the Caribbean assisting with schools and utilities, they reported a lot of corruption and cronyism. Money comes in to do work and then just evaporates. Projects never get done and nothing improves.

Sux but that's the way it is for too many people there.

This article echoes what they saw.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/editorial/No-place-for-the-politics-of-cronyism_13843206

It is most unfortunate, but a number of Caribbean countries have been stained by corruption that has not gone unchecked in the international community.

Drug trafficking, money laundering, human trafficking, police killings, facilitating tax evasion, bribery of politicians, human rights abuses of every kind, corruption in governance, and lack of transparency in public procurement are but a few of the ills affecting the region.

Just as unfortunate is the fact that some politicians regard holding political office as an opportunity to enrich themselves, their family, friends and the corporate donors to whom they are beholden. Their motto is 'ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country can do for you'.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/editorial/No-place-for-the-politics-of-cronyism_13843206#ixzz2a6IytKLi

• blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    im switching my name to Lennox and getting a tank top with all them wholes in it....bout dat paper baby!
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They deserve it.

If they really want to punish these Nations they should go the way of the Arabs. Terrorist attacks make whites angry panic and take away the rights of their own citizens. Dont just ? them. Make them do like what this country is doing and ? themselves from the inside. SLOWLY.

Fixed that for ya

saddam_.jpg

time-osama_1885571c.jpg

Dog its the same thing really. That war ? us over financially. Made whites reelect Bush a second time. Which in turn caused a financial collapse.

All because some Arabs knocked down a building and killed some white people lol
  • indyman87
    indyman87 Members Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
    Slavery was brutal. According to the Christian black Codes they use to cut people's ear off for not performing well.
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They deserve it.

Fixed that for ya

saddam_.jpg

time-osama_1885571c.jpg

Dog its the same thing really. That war ? us over financially. Made whites reelect Bush a second time. Which in turn caused a financial collapse.

All because some Arabs knocked down a building and killed some white people lol

Lol @ u for thinking that Arabs had anything to do with those buildings falling. Unless you're just being sarcastic
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two of my close relatives have done work in the Caribbean assisting with schools and utilities, they reported a lot of corruption and cronyism. Money comes in to do work and then just evaporates. Projects never get done and nothing improves.

Sux but that's the way it is for too many people there.

This article echoes what they saw.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/editorial/No-place-for-the-politics-of-cronyism_13843206

It is most unfortunate, but a number of Caribbean countries have been stained by corruption that has not gone unchecked in the international community.

Drug trafficking, money laundering, human trafficking, police killings, facilitating tax evasion, bribery of politicians, human rights abuses of every kind, corruption in governance, and lack of transparency in public procurement are but a few of the ills affecting the region.

Just as unfortunate is the fact that some politicians regard holding political office as an opportunity to enrich themselves, their family, friends and the corporate donors to whom they are beholden. Their motto is 'ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country can do for you'.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/editorial/No-place-for-the-politics-of-cronyism_13843206#ixzz2a6IytKLi

From someone that lives in the Caribbean, this is very very true
  • joshuaboy
    And ? a Reparations. This is lazy and corrupt politicians making excuses and looking for a bailout after years of corruption and mismanagement. We used to be prosperous once, but they done fcuked around and spent more than they earned and now looking for free money, which will never benefit the people its meant for.

I was never in favour of reparations. I believe in earning what's due to you, not looking for a handout.
  • WYRM
    WYRM Members Posts: 993 ✭✭✭✭
    Biggest problem I see is this money is given to a government/political organization to figure out who in the country receives what. Keep the poor poor and trickle just enough reparations to them. They most likely have issues with balancing and budgeting, as would be expected of anyone in their situation so the money goes straight into the economy (generally a good thing). Except it just feeds back into the government and politicians hands. That's my feeling and take.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    As much as I sympathize with this, as my parents are from the Caribbean, these nations won't get a dime in reparations. Remember, Africans were involved in the slave trade as well so European nations will be like, why do we have to pay everything? If African nations pay some reparations as well, then Europeans may go along with this.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unlike ? in America, these ? have their own countries so ultimately it's their responsibility to provide for the well being of their citizens, with one exception, Haiti. Though I'm not Haiti myself, I have hell of respect for Haitians because they got in "Monsieur Blanc's ass and made Napoleon'em raise up. As a result, Jefferson and a bunch of European imposed an embargo on Haiti which is indirectly responsible for the endemic poverty of the country. Not to gloss over the corruption, but I feel that every ? in the world, whether they're in Africa, Europe, America, Canada, South America and Caribbean owes it to the Haiti people for having the only successful slave revolt in the New World.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I expect counterclaims
  • CP203
    CP203 Members Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    man if jamaica gets any money portia simpson is gonna find a way to ? it up, the jamaican government stay ? the money up and the same with the haitian government
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    NeighborhoodNomad. Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "We don't think the issue of reparations is the right way to address these issues," Fitton said. "It's not the right way to address an historical problem."

I agree with this to a certain extent.

True reparations is when the descendants of slaves collectively rise up and physically take back what others have either taken or benefited from. This all starts in the mind.

For us to ask for anything is relinquishing our power and leaving the power in the hands of those you are asking. It's like asking for freedom, when freedom is taken. If someone freed you, then you're still a slave to another's authority.

True reparations wont happen until we collectively decide to free ourselves and physically take back what is rightfully ours, without asking.
  • aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "good luck with that bruh"-

Jay Z
  • Scroter
    Scroter Members Posts: 327 ✭✭✭
    No Dough-Pretty Tony
  • thesoulcontroller
    thesoulcontroller Members Posts: 81 ✭✭
    It's only a matter of time. Europe will have to cough up lots of cash for reparations. They did too much damage.
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm from the caribbean. Even these nations achieve their goals and reparations are paid, most of that money isn't going to reach the people it's intented for. Best believe crooked politicians are going to pocket a lions' share of the money. Most of the shops and businesses are owned by non-blacks like Arabs, Chinese, jews, coolies etc. anyway, so even if the money reaches the people it will be given to outsiders. Black money bounces but one time in most caribbean countries. Blacks don't own businesses like that, they're mostly consumers. I don't like to say this and I hope I'm pessimistic.
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    'Which nations are demanding reparations?
  • joshuaboy
    Muhannad X wrote: »
    I'm from the caribbean. Even these nations achieve their goals and reparations are paid, most of that money isn't going to reach the people it's intented for. Best believe crooked politicians are going to pocket a lions' share of the money. Most of the shops and businesses are owned by non-blacks like Arabs, Chinese, jews, coolies etc. anyway, so even if the money reaches the people it will be given to outsiders. Black money bounces but one time in most caribbean countries. Blacks don't own businesses like that, they're mostly consumers. I don't like to say this and I hope I'm pessimistic.

Which country you from?
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    Muhannad X wrote: »

Which country you from?
    I'm from Curaçao (Dutch Antilles). What I said pertains to most caribbean countries I've been.