Slavery Reparations Sought By Caribbean Nations For 'Lingering Legacy Of Atlantic Slave Trade

2»

Comments

• Ip man
    Ip man Members Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We dominicans better be in there
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for nothing potna, but y'all (like the rest of the Spanish African community,) y'all need to stay as far away from this ? as much as possible, considering the fact they y'all don't even like to claim your African ancestry. Y'all ? are real quick to say, "I'm Dominican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Venzuelan, Columbian, etc. but the thing is the muthafucka looks like or is darker than me. Then y'all like to negate you African heritage by saying some ? like, "I'm black and Dominican," "I'm black and Cuban," or I'm black and Puerto Rican, etc." and again the mutafucka is my complexion or darker than me.

I love my people of African descent in Latin America and the Caribbean, but I'm sorry, y'all ain't deserving of ? because y'all have tried your damnest to be anything BUT A DESCENT OF AFRICA. You can't come around wanting suddenly wanting to claim your heritage when some money is involved.

• joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Muhannad X wrote: »
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    I'm from the caribbean. Even these nations achieve their goals and reparations are paid, most of that money isn't going to reach the people it's intented for. Best believe crooked politicians are going to pocket a lions' share of the money. Most of the shops and businesses are owned by non-blacks like Arabs, Chinese, jews, coolies etc. anyway, so even if the money reaches the people it will be given to outsiders. Black money bounces but one time in most caribbean countries. Blacks don't own businesses like that, they're mostly consumers. I don't like to say this and I hope I'm pessimistic.

Which country you from?
    I'm from Curaçao (Dutch Antilles). What I said pertains to most caribbean countries I've been.

Wasn't disputing what you said, although some of what you said isn't true with all islands, just checking to see how close you were to Antigua
  • joshuaboy

Not for nothing potna, but y'all (like the rest of the Spanish African community,) y'all need to stay as far away from this ? as much as possible, considering the fact they y'all don't even like to claim your African ancestry. Y'all ? are real quick to say, "I'm Dominican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Venzuelan, Columbian, etc. but the thing is the muthafucka looks like or is darker than me. Then y'all like to negate you African heritage by saying some ? like, "I'm black and Dominican," "I'm black and Cuban," or I'm black and Puerto Rican, etc." and again the mutafucka is my complexion or darker than me.

I love my people of African descent in Latin America and the Caribbean, but I'm sorry, y'all ain't deserving of ? because y'all have tried your damnest to be anything BUT A DESCENT OF AFRICA. You can't come around wanting suddenly wanting to claim your heritage when some money is involved.

You really don't know anything about Caribbean people. I agree with what you said about SOME Spanish people (the ones that try to fit in to certain societies are like that), but Caribbean people on a whole do not try to distance ourselves from Africa.
  • Maximus Rex
    edited August 2013
    Why do muthafuckas love pointing out the exception as opposed to the rule. All you have to do is turn on Telemundo and Univsion to see that paper bag test is in full effect. Those are the most color struck ? in the Western Hemisphere. If they didn't have a problem with race, then why are always confusing race with ethnicity? As I said earlier, these are the only muthafuckas that will say that they're "black and whatever country they or they're people are from. You don't have other West Indians talm 'bout," I'm "Jamaican and black," I'm "Trini and black," I'm Bahamaian and black," it's only those ? from Spanish speaking countries that do that punk ? . Ask a Dominican who looks black, if they're black and see what those ? will say. Though I must say that Trinis have a problem with claiming Tobago. How come nobody is ever from Tobago?
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do muthafuckas love pointing out the exception as opposed to the rule. All you have to do is turn on Telemundo and Univsion to see that paper bag is in full effect. Those are the most color struck ? in the Western Hemisphere. If they didn't have a problem with race, then why are always confusing race with ethnicity? As I said earlier, these are the only muthafuckas that will say that they're "black and whatever country they or they're people are from. You don't have other West Indians talm 'bout," I'm "Jamaican and black," I'm "Trini and black," I'm Bahamaian and black," it's only those ? from Spanish speaking countries that do that punk ? . Ask a Dominican who looks black, if they're black and see what those ? will say. Thouhg I must say that Trinis have a problem with claiming Tobago. How come nobody is ever from Tobago?

LOL tobago has a small population compared to trinidad and alot of people from tobago just rep trini since they are the same nation. i agree with you many latin americans would like to ignore the black in them or at least down play it as much as possible.
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

They were slaves too so why shouldn't they get their reparations? The way they act now shouldn't make a difference. So basically you're saying if a woman got molested or ? but doesn't cope with it the way YOU feel she should she shouldn't receive damages. You can't be serious, man.
    zombie wrote: »
    Why do muthafuckas love pointing out the exception as opposed to the rule. All you have to do is turn on Telemundo and Univsion to see that paper bag is in full effect. Those are the most color struck ? in the Western Hemisphere. If they didn't have a problem with race, then why are always confusing race with ethnicity? As I said earlier, these are the only muthafuckas that will say that they're "black and whatever country they or they're people are from. You don't have other West Indians talm 'bout," I'm "Jamaican and black," I'm "Trini and black," I'm Bahamaian and black," it's only those ? from Spanish speaking countries that do that punk ? . Ask a Dominican who looks black, if they're black and see what those ? will say. Thouhg I must say that Trinis have a problem with claiming Tobago. How come nobody is ever from Tobago?

LOL tobago has a small population compared to trinidad and alot of people from tobago just rep trini since they are the same nation. i agree with you many latin americans would like to ignore the black in them or at least down play it as much as possible.
    Some latins aren't claiming African but they're not the only ones. They bleaching like crazy in your island. Artists are doing it, promoting it and you got mad commercials for bleaching products. I've seen this first hand.
    Everytime I hit up UK it's funny to see almost every black Jamaican my age and younger (I'm 33 y/o) with a white partner. It's rare to see black couples in UK. As you know I got nothing against interracial relationships, but it's almost like having a white partner is like a status symbol for some Jamaicans. If you keep this up you'll breed yourself out of existance in UK...

I say all that to say you should worry about your own people before you start to point fingers. Too many Jamaicans are colourstruck. Marcus Garvey would turn around in his grave if he saw how alot of you people act...
  • zombie
    edited August 2013

They were slaves too so why shouldn't they get their reparations? The way they act now shouldn't make a difference. So basically you're saying if a woman got molested or ? but doesn't cope with it the way YOU feel she should she shouldn't receive damages. You can't be serious, man.

Some latins aren't claiming African but they're not the only ones. They bleaching like crazy in your island. Artists are doing it, promoting it and you got mad commercials for bleaching products. I've seen this first hand.
    Everytime I hit up UK it's funny to see almost every black Jamaican my age and younger (I'm 33 y/o) with a white partner. It's rare to see black couples in UK. As you know I got nothing against interracial relationships, but it's almost like having a white partner is like a status symbol for some Jamaicans. If you keep this up you'll breed yourself out of existance in UK...

I say all that to say you should worry about your own people before you start to point fingers. Too many Jamaicans are colourstruck. Marcus Garvey would turn around in his grave if he saw how alot of you people act...

you don't know what you are talking about bleaching is rare in ja, and the only place you will find them is in the worst parts of the island and this is not 1980's jamaica most blacks in ja are not color struck the average jamaican is very proud of their african ancestors and the whole world knows that.

As for the uk many of the so called jamaicans there are really black british many have never been to ja. Please shut the ? up. I was in jamaica last year there are no commericals for bleaching in ja

and very very few jamaican artist support the bleaching or bleach themselves most kick against it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJCkPXC_02A
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuM-MlNjdm4
  • joshuaboy
    Why do muthafuckas love pointing out the exception as opposed to the rule. All you have to do is turn on Telemundo and Univsion to see that paper bag test is in full effect. Those are the most color struck ? in the Western Hemisphere. If they didn't have a problem with race, then why are always confusing race with ethnicity? As I said earlier, these are the only muthafuckas that will say that they're "black and whatever country they or they're people are from. You don't have other West Indians talm 'bout," I'm "Jamaican and black," I'm "Trini and black," I'm Bahamaian and black," it's only those ? from Spanish speaking countries that do that punk ? . Ask a Dominican who looks black, if they're black and see what those ? will say. Though I must say that Trinis have a problem with claiming Tobago. How come nobody is ever from Tobago?

Why would a Trini claim Tobago? It's one nation but two different islands. You are a citizen of both but you are born in one and that is where you claim. Same with Antigua & Barbuda.
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

You really don't know anything about Caribbean people. I agree with what you said about SOME Spanish people (the ones that try to fit in to certain societies are like that), but Caribbean people on a whole do not try to distance ourselves from Africa.
    These dudes ain't from the Caribbean, man. They're yankees with Caribbean roots.
  • Maximus Rex
    They were slaves too so why shouldn't they get their reparations? The way they act now shouldn't make a difference. So basically you're saying if a woman got molested or ? but doesn't cope with it the way YOU feel she should she shouldn't receive damages. You can't be serious, man.[/quote]

Because it's insulting to me and everybody that was a slave. You spend your entire life trying to distant yourself from who you are, suddenly when some money is involved, you get this "black awarness," and suddenly want to be the same thing that you hate, repulsed, and despised by for generations. FOH with that ? . That's one of the problems with black people, we're waaay to willing to embrace, forgive, and forget people who have clowned us, and too often this ? happens to our detriment. ? need to stop that ? .
  • joshuaboy
    edited August 2013

Because it's insulting to me and everybody that was a slave. You spend your entire life trying to distant yourself from who you are, suddenly when some money is involved, you get this "black awarness," and suddenly want to be the same thing that you hate, repulsed, and despised by for generations. FOH with that ? . That's one of the problems with black people, we're waaay to willing to embrace, forgive, and forget people who have clowned us, and too often this ? happens to our detriment. ? need to stop that ? .
    [/quote]

You still spreading this nonsense. I don't know which Caribbean people you think you know, but nothing is further from the truth. Only difference with us is we live in a majority black society with black leaders so we cannot use being a minority or descendants of slaves as an excuse or cop out when we ? up or underachieve, we gotta take the blame ourselves, so maybe that's why you don't hear us referencing it as much as you would in your country. Because there's no need to, we're all the same here.

• zombie

[/quote]

I think you have to make a greater distinction between people in latin america and the caribbean and i know they overlap but generally what you are saying applies to many spanish "latin" nations in south america who have bigger mullatoe/mixed populations and not to the rest of the caribbean.
  • joshuaboy

I think you have to make a greater distinction between people in latin america and the caribbean and i know they overlap but generally what you are saying applies to many spanish "latin" nations in south america who have bigger mullatoe/mixed populations and not to the rest of the caribbean.
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Only Spanish Caribbean countries are Santo Domingo and Cuba, so you can't base your opinion of all Caribbean people off of two nations. Two nations that are of complete different culture than all the rest.
  • alvarez_313
    alvarez_313 Members Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭✭

Why would a Trini claim Tobago? It's one nation but two different islands. You are a citizen of both but you are born in one and that is where you claim. Same with Antigua & Barbuda.

It's funny I actually know quite a few Tobagonians and all the ones I know will say they are Trini when asked.. Now with my father being from Trini I press them and they will eventually say they are from Tobago or they will say Trinbagonian.. I can concur with what was said about the Dominicans and Puerto Ricans though.. I'm like allyuh do know you are from the Caribbean though right?
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Now imagine the state of Slave Descent Americans if our ancestors would have gotten the 40 acres and a mule, But Andrew jackson quickly put the brakes on that for fear of another war erupting. So reparations is not gonna happen then because it would open the door internationally for the US to have to pay to its Slave descent citizens and we know what kinda ? would ignite from that especially with Barrack in Office ? would be enough to start that 2nd civil war on racial lines which would be ? instead of on just economic lines like it needs to be...