"Classic," Movies That in Reality Are Overrated As ? and Are Straight Trash

Options

Comments

• king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    INB4 certified classics like ? , taxi driver, gone with the wind, godfather trilogy, etc...
    Yy

anyway, idk what the consensus was on that ? tree of life movie, but if it was nominated for oscars then i assume a lot of people liked it & thought it was great. i thought that movie ? sucked & was the worst movie i've ever seen in my life.
    That Tree of Life was soke real ? , not fake but real ? !
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I like 2001 but it is overrated.

It was ground breaking and was influential but to say there would be no Star Wars without it, no. Lucas was more influenced by Buck Rodgers, Flash Gordan and Akira Kurosawa as well as Greek and Roman mythology. I'd agree that some shots in the movie were inspired by 2001, but to say that it wouldn't have existed without Kubrick is overstating the case.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    lol too many feelings in this thread.......not even gonna go there.......

all i'll say is: growing up my stepbrother was always ? on classic films and basically any film that didn't have ? or gunfights or kung fu in it, but one night he caught 2001 channel surfing and got sucked into watching it so crazy he was ready to fight me when i wanted to switch it off to play Sega lol. i was like "wow" and respected it ever since. The special effects alone were revolutionary. Without 2001, there is no Star Wars, no Alien, none of that sci-fi ? . You ain't gotta like it but you gotta Respect it. Doing otherwise makes you sound like one of those teenagers in The Reason making threads about how Rakim or Biggie was trash and Rick Ross got more classic albums lol.

eh ? it, i'll still volunteer one classic tho:

GONE WITH THE WIND

? is a got dayum 4 hour soap opera about how great "The Old South" was, starring an unlikable gold-digging ? and the house ? that take care of her. I ain't never seen it, but I know that's the gist of it and old white women cape for it harder than poor black ppl cape for Scarface smh lol.

How the ? this is the best selling movie of all time is a complete mystery to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLnTWxpTQt4
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    icks86 wrote: »
    Really T/S??? I like to think that there would be no Star Wars, Alien, & etc. had it not been for 2001!!!

You're putting entirely too much on it. Yes, visually 2001 is stunning and I can imagine what would be like to see that ? on the big screen. As far as there not being A New Hope, Alien, etc without 2001 FOH. Those films would have still been made. The most Kubrick did was provide the inspiration as far the visuals, cinematography and other film nuisances that I don't appreciate as much as say a student of film because I'm not into movies like that.
    icks86 wrote: »
    & don't hate on Stanley Kubrick he's pretty much in everyone's top 5 when it comes to movie directors!!!

I'm not hating on Kubrick, Eyes Wide Shut and especially Full Metal Jacket are among my favorite films, I'm just hating on that the 2001 ? .
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    GONE WITH THE WIND

? is a got dayum 4 hour soap opera about how great "The Old South" was, starring an unlikable gold-digging ? and the house ? that take care of her. I ain't never seen it, but I know that's the gist of it and old white women cape for it harder than poor black ppl cape for Scarface smh lol.

How the ? this is the best selling movie of all time is a complete mystery to me.

I can understand ? being put off by Gone with the Wind, but first you have to watch it, then you have to understand the intricacies that are going on in the movie, and if you can read the book. Scarlett is a spoiled 16 year old Southern belle without a care in the world. Like chicks in the 21st Century, her biggest concern is going to the antebellum South's equivalent to the club. Also, all of the dudes is trying to holla at Scarlett, but Scarlett (again being like females today,) is interested in the muthfucka who doesn't want her, and that's Ashley Wilkes. Part of makes Ashley interesting to Scarlett is that he's different from all of the other dudes.

Scarlett isn't a gold digger per se for gold diggin' sake. She became harden by life circumstances. Scarlett and her family was literally out there starving on Tara. Which leads to the famous scene with her eating that turnip, (which was usually used as food for livestock) talm 'bout, "As ? as my witness, neither me or my kinfolk will go hungry again." To tell the true, Scarlett was quite independent and being to her word, after she interested a lumber mill from her second husband, she made it profitable.

The most interesting part of Gone with the Wind is the dynamic between Rhett and Scarlett. Rhett was the only muthafucka who understood and most importantly knew how to handle Scarlett. As long as he came at her with some game, checked her ass, showed that he didn't give a ? . They were cool, but when Rhett stopped applying game, started cupcaking with her, and displayed what Scarlett perceived as weakness, then Scarlett started doing the fool and being hella disrespectful. That famous end scene is after the death Mellie Bonnie. Rhett said "? it, I'mma bounce, despite all I've done for this meathead ? , she's in love with Ashley; however, Ashley is all ? in game at the death of Melanie, he's sitting there crying and ? , talm 'bout. "What will I do without you Melanie?" It's finally now that Scarlett realizes that Ashley will never love her and Ashley Wilkes is a beta male ? . That's when we see her chasing after Rhett with crying about about will I do, and Rhett saying he doesn't give a damn.

• rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Tree Of Life was good if you're a fan of film photography .. Emmanuel Lubezki is a beast behind the camera. He was DoP for Ali . .

Y'all should know Terence Malick's films as of late lack formal structure but top actors will never say NO if he calls 'em
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options

Scarlett isn't a gold digger per se for gold diggin' sake. She became harden by life circumstances. Scarlett and her family was literally out there starving on Tara. Which leads to the famous scene with her eating that turnip, (which was usually used as food for livestock) talm 'bout, "As ? as my witness, neither me or my kinfolk will go hungry again." To tell the true, Scarlett was quite independent and being to her word, after she interested a lumber mill from her second husband, she made it profitable.

Co-sign, and that was only one of the moves she made. If Scarlett O'Hara wasn't a hustler then I don't know what you call that. Its like dumb ? who call Kim Kardashian a gold digger. Just because a ? is paid does not automatically make her a gold digger.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited July 2013
    Options
    INB4 certified classics like ? , taxi driver, gone with the wind, godfather trilogy, etc...
    Yy

anyway, idk what the consensus was on that ? tree of life movie, but if it was nominated for oscars then i assume a lot of people liked it & thought it was great. i thought that movie ? sucked & was the worst movie i've ever seen in my life.

you ain't lyin...

? had barely any dialogue & there were ? dinosaurs in it for ? 's sake....

DINOSAURS THO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    The Tree Of Life was good if you're a fan of film photography .. Emmanuel Lubezki is a beast behind the camera. He was DoP for Ali . .

Y'all should know Terence Malick's films as of late lack formal structure but top actors will never say NO if he calls 'em

that i would agree with. it was pretty amazing visually.

but there was no story. i couldn't ? with it.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not really a classic, but Shottas is trash
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Terrance Malick movies are about the visceral experience of watching them and not about unveiling a conventional narrative structure. They are movies that connect with the viewers on an emotional level through the cinematography and framing not through character arcs and extensive dialogue. So I'm not surprised to see The Tree of Life hate. I personally enjoyed it a lot but I also haven't seen it since it was in theaters.
  • j dash
    j dash Members Posts: 276 ✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah that tree of life movie sux ? n dix!

But I didn't get the hype over the movie "Driver" it was coo but nothing to overhype about
  • rip.dilla
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    Terrance Malick movies are about the visceral experience of watching them and not about unveiling a conventional narrative structure. They are movies that connect with the viewers on an emotional level through the cinematography and framing not through character arcs and extensive dialogue. So I'm not surprised to see The Tree of Life hate. I personally enjoyed it a lot but I also haven't seen it since it was in theaters.

Own the DVD.
  • CitySojourner
    CitySojourner Members Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • KINGEC
    KINGEC Members Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    allied wrote: »
    I would have to say Scarface even though I still like it a lot.

C/S Bolded.

Thought I was the only ? who thought this. lol.
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I wanna say the Godfather but I can't really give it an honest assessment since I've never stayed awake past the 90 min mark, tried to watch it on 3 or 4 separate occasions
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yy

you ain't lyin...

? had barely any dialogue & there were ? dinosaurs in it for ? 's sake....

Me and my sister ended up seeing that ? because ATCQ Beats Rhymes & Life was sold out

DINOSAURS THO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me and my sister ended up seeing that ? because ATCQ Beats Rhymes & Life was sold out
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    none of the movies that i consider to be classics are trash
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wanna say the Godfather but I can't really give it an honest assessment since I've never stayed awake past the 90 min mark, tried to watch it on 3 or 4 separate occasions

Ban this ADD ass ? ASAP.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    When I saw the remake of Scarface, (y'all do know it's a remake right?) I thought that ? was over the top and those ? were doing too much, that was until I saw this:

220px-Cocainecowboys_promo_cover.jpg

Then I was like, "OH ? !" Those Columbian ? ACTUALLY DID ALL OF THAT ? AND THEY REALLY MADE OF THAT MONEY! After seeing ? Cowboys it not only gives you a an appreciation for Scarface but the documentary puts the film in the proper perspective and lets you know that that movie was an accurate portrayal of what was going on at the time. Also the only difference between Scarface and ? Cowboys is Tony Montana was a male and Cuban and was immediately after getting on the outs with Sosa, while Griselda Blanco was a Columbian female that actually got to live out some of later years before she was finally bodied. /b]
  • rip.dilla
    Options
    Very first time I had a glimpse of Scarface was when I was like 5, in the sitting room with my pops and his friend .. in the mid-80's on VHS

Pops loved Pacino's manic character ... . Funny I was listening to Mobb Deep's 'It's Mine' today

• vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Scarface - started off good then went on for too long. Ending sequence is GOAT tho
    Blade Runner- watched this wasn't impressed
    Clockwork Orange - wasn't impressesed
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Platoon. I never liked the movie. Its boring to me. Saving Private Ryan>>>>>>>>

• northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Every Star Wars movie, E.T., and Back to the future