Who Is Your Favorite Black Panther?

Options
Plutarch
Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2013 in The Social Lounge
I believe that we have a lot of BPP fans here, so who's your favorite? I'm just curious. One of the BPP's biggest strengths were that there were so many great members, but this was also one of its biggest weaknesses since that created power struggles and internal conflicts that eventually contributed to its downfall. So who was your favorite and why?

I personally like Fred Hampton because he was a natural leader and did so much at young age before the police murdered him. Even the Chicago gangs respected him enough to stop fighting each other.

Who Is Your Favorite Black Panther? 33 votes

Huey Newton
30%
dwade206  Colin$mackabi$hjonoGot Em Shookkingblaze84BodhiTHIRDSUPREMEYoung StefGhost313Mr. Rich Pryor 10 votes
Bobby Seale
6%
Ree4er Madnesspurpngold 2 votes
Fred Hampton
33%
janklowDupacwill grimeyceothachosen1Swiffness!Cabana_Da_Donkacee139PlutarchBig KolaO.G.BIGG WILL 11 votes
Eldridge Cleaver
3%
BelovedAfeni 1 vote
George Jackson
0%
Stokely Carmichael
12%
zombiefortyacres32DaysOfInfinitiMainstream_rap_sucks 4 votes
Angela Davis
6%
[Deleted User]QZA 2 votes
Assata Shakur
3%
Soloman_The_Wise 1 vote
Afeni Shakur
0%
Other
6%
harry knucklezKLICHE 2 votes

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Huey Newton
    Newton was the brain. After reading Revolutionary Suicide I'm certain that he was the more logical and mildmannered member.

He could have gotten alot done, but all the clashes with the police and his constant fighting with the more extreme members (Carmichael and Cleaver) really hurt his efforts.

Newton tried getting everyone involved, he didnt alienate religious people, women, white folks or homosexuals, he accepted everyone as long as they were for the cause. I think that's true leadership.
  • Mr. Rich Pryor
    Mr. Rich Pryor Members Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Huey Newton
    huey newton muthaphukkas!
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Huey Newton
    and miss shakur
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Fred Hampton
    jono wrote: »
    Newton was the brain. After reading Revolutionary Suicide I'm certain that he was the more logical and mildmannered member.
    i don't know, his post-peak-of-BPP years seem to tarnish him quite a bit

Hampton all the way

• BIGG WILL
    BIGG WILL Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fred Hampton

He could have gotten alot done, but all the clashes with the police and his constant fighting with the more extreme members (Carmichael and Cleaver) really hurt his efforts.

Newton tried getting everyone involved, he didnt alienate religious people, women, white folks or homosexuals, he accepted everyone as long as they were for the cause. I think that's true leadership.

Everyone loves Huey, no doubt they should, but most of the Growth came when he was in jail. At the same time a lot of the press/growth The Party received was due to the Free Huey Campaign.
  • BIGG WILL
    Options
    Fred Hampton
    Gotta go with Fred Hampton. Did/gave so much to be so young. Every book I read that talks about Fred I find he is revered just about the same as Huey.

Jamal Joseph cuz he was so young and ended up doing big things after he came from up under the oppression of the FBI. (check out PAnther Baby if you haven't already)

Bunchy Carter- Fearless and an awesome leader.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • BIGG WILL
    Options
    Fred Hampton
    Man, this topic needs way more attention!
  • Plutarch
    Options
    Fred Hampton

I don't disagree with a thing you said. It's just that I remember reading that he ruled the BPP with an iron fist, had a dangerously quick temper, and allegedly had beef with Jackson and the BGF because he was jealous of him. I don't know if any of that is true or not though. Regardless, there's no doubt that Newton was nothing short of a genius.
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man that is hard to choose, I studied all of them and my uncle was apart of The Black Panthers and he had stories about most of the choices expect for Eldridge Cleaver, my uncle couldn't stand him lol.

But u forgot about Geromino Pratt and Mutulu Shakur; Geronimo was the godfather of Tupac and Mutulu was Pac's stepdad, Pac's sister Sekiywa's father and Pac's stepbrother Mopreme's father as well and he was one of the doctors of The Panthers.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hate when people talk about our soldiers of the struggle like they are athletes... or its some sort of competitive sport...
  • Plutarch
    Options
    Fred Hampton
    south4life wrote: »
    Man that is hard to choose, I studied all of them and my uncle was apart of The Black Panthers and he had stories about most of the choices expect for Eldridge Cleaver, my uncle couldn't stand him lol.

But u forgot about Geromino Pratt and Mutulu Shakur; Geronimo was the godfather of Tupac and Mutulu was Pac's stepdad, Pac's sister Sekiywa's father and Pac's stepbrother Mopreme's father as well and he was one of the doctors of The Panthers.

Props. I was going to add more Panthers, but there's only 10 voting slots to a poll, so I had to add an "Other" option.
    I hate when people talk about our soldiers of the struggle like they are athletes... or its some sort of competitive sport...

I guess that can be directed at me? I think that you're reading too much into it and being too possessive of "our soldiers of the struggle." It's just a simple question asking which Black Panther you like the most. We all have favorites and preferences for everything, so it's not just with sports, and I don't think that that's a bad thing in itself. Btw, there's competition in nearly everything, and some of these same Black Panthers actually did compete with one another and had opposing viewpoints and ideologies, so it's not like I'm going out of my way to pit them against each other even if I wanted to.
  • BIGG WILL
    Options
    Fred Hampton

Cleaver was crazy in a way. He wanted a full scale war between the Panthers and the Govt. in the streets of America. He pretty much went to War with the entire Central Committee Leadership because he disagreed with the direction The PAnthers were moving in. He wanted The Panthers to be the Military Wing of the Black Power Movement and hated the Social Programs that the Panthers provided.

Not to mention he lead the assault that got Bobby Hutton murdered.
  • BIGG WILL
    Options
    Fred Hampton
    Plutarch wrote: »

Props. I was going to add more Panthers, but there's only 10 voting slots to a poll, so I had to add an "Other" option.

I guess that can be directed at me? I think that you're reading too much into it and being too possessive of "our soldiers of the struggle." It's just a simple question asking which Black Panther you like the most. We all have favorites and preferences for everything, so it's not just with sports, and I don't think that that's a bad thing in itself. Btw, there's competition in nearly everything, and some of these same Black Panthers actually did compete with one another and had opposing viewpoints and ideologies, so it's not like I'm going out of my way to pit them against each other even if I wanted to.

Agreed. I would much rather talk about my favorite Black Leaders than talk about Emmitt vs Barry, or Lebron vs. Jordan.

• south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BIGG WILL wrote: »

Cleaver was crazy in a way. He wanted a full scale war between the Panthers and the Govt. in the streets of America. He pretty much went to War with the entire Central Committee Leadership because he disagreed with the direction The PAnthers were moving in. He wanted The Panthers to be the Military Wing of the Black Power Movement and hated the Social Programs that the Panthers provided.

Not to mention he lead the assault that got Bobby Hutton murdered.

Exactly, my uncle was on Huey side and was attacked by Cleaver's rebels and they stabbed my Uncle multiple times and for the rest of my Uncle's life he was paralyzed on the right side of his body and blind in the right eye, his hatred for Cleaver was deep.

Cleaver hated the Programs because he wanted that money put in on what he was trying to do, he was not for uplifting The Black People and helping the Black Community, this the same bastard that letter joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and became a Mormon and was a Conservative Republican.
  • BIGG WILL
    Options
    Fred Hampton
    I thought this was very interesting from David Hillard's, "This Side of Glory".

To sum it up.

George Jackson united the 2 Black Prison Gangs in California ( The Black Mafia of Southern California and The Bay Area Mob). He basically turned these guys into Revolutionaries. His plan was to turn his "Black Militant Front" into the Armed Wing of the Black Panther Party and for the BPP to keep running the Social Programs and be the propaganda unit.

WHat do you guys think about that?
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Fred Hampton
    Pretty much all the other big names self-destructed far as I can tell. When our heroes or heroines got hooked on heroin....

Fred Hampton invented the term "Rainbow Coalition". That basic concept of politically uniting other minorities with blacks is what got Obama elected and its openly jeopardizing the Republican Party's future.

They HAD to ? him. The others they could put in prison.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Huey Newton
    Damn great thread....I chose Huey but honestly I shouldv'e learned more about the others before voting. I'm gonna do heavy research on Angela Davis and Fred Hampton tonight
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Huey Newton
    Based on what I now know, I shouldv'e voted for Fred Hampton.....true hero
  • harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Other
    As much as I love Fred, I gotta give Bunchy Carter his respect. He was a former Slauson who became the leader of the LA chapter of the BBP w/ John Huggins. One of the reasons why the old LA gangs, like the Slausons, the Businessmen, and the Gladiators had disappeared was because Bunchy had politicized a lot of them and made the want to join the Panthers.
  • janklow
    Options
    Fred Hampton
    damn it, man, how are you only just researching this ? in 2013
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Huey Newton
    janklow wrote: »
    damn it, man, how are you only just researching this ? in 2013

I've only known what family and friends told me about them, so I always liked Huey and kept it at that. I knew a bit about Carmichael and Angela Davis, and a lot about the Shakur family (2pac is my fave rapper of all time). I'm 29 and the older I get, the more I realize there is always stuff to learn, even when you think you know a lot.
  • janklow
    Options
    Fred Hampton
    I've only known what family and friends told me about them, so I always liked Huey and kept it at that. I knew a bit about Carmichael and Angela Davis, and a lot about the Shakur family (2pac is my fave rapper of all time). I'm 29 and the older I get, the more I realize there is always stuff to learn, even when you think you know a lot.
    good answer but that was not a 100% serious post

• kingblaze84
    Options
    Huey Newton
    janklow wrote: »
    good answer but that was not a 100% serious post

Ah sorry. I treat posts too seriously at times
  • BIGG WILL
    Options
    Fred Hampton

What did you learn about Fred that made you change your vote>?