2»

Comments

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Huey Newton
    BIGG WILL wrote: »
    Based on what I now know, I shouldv'e voted for Fred Hampton.....true hero

What did you learn about Fred that made you change your vote>?

He seemed to be the biggest positive influence on his community. He created food drives and educational centers for the young and adults, held rallies weekly to call attention to the injustices of America and the justice system at the time and made sure Blacks in Chicago knew their true worth. That's not to say other Black Panthers didn't help do these things in some way but Fred seemed to be the most thorough about it. Huey started the movement and helped it go international, true but people like Fred are the reason so many wanted to join and believe in the cause. No diss on the other greats though.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huey

But admiration for Fred grows the more I learn about him
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Assata Shakur
    I voted Assata solely on the strength of her being free and the current administration upping her bounty...
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Fred Hampton
    And he actually moved to Africa unlike all the others
    technically Cleaver did flee to Africa for a period of time

• kingblaze84
    Huey Newton
    I voted Assata solely on the strength of her being free and the current administration upping her bounty...

They upped her bounty? LOL smh......

• Soloman_The_Wise
    edited September 2013
    Assata Shakur

Are you surprised fam? Back in may the Obama administrations justice department added another Million to her bounty and added her to the most wanted terrorist lists. That was my final straw in determining Barrack and the rest of Dems are equal if not worse then the GOP when it comes to the common folks best interest and the nation in general. The agenda is they are all the same elitist just different propaganda and financial backers so we need a real 3rd party that actually represents the general public...
  • TheGambinoLegacy
    TheGambinoLegacy Members Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Assata Shakur

Are you surprised fam? Back in may the Obama administrations justice department added another Million to her bounty and added her to the most wanted terrorist lists. That was my final straw in determining Barrack and the rest of Dems are equal if not worse then the GOP when it comes to the common folks best interest and the nation in general. The agenda is they are all the same elitist just different propaganda and financial backers so we need a real 3rd party that actually represents the general public...

@kingblaze84 peep this fam...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/may/10/assata-shakur-terrorist/
  • kingblaze84
    Huey Newton

Great article and yeah we do need a 3rd party to represent us, I've been saying this for years now
  • Ree4er Madness
    Ree4er Madness Members Posts: 107 ✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Bobby Seale
    Bobby Seale of course...He didn't take NO ? ....
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huey Newton
    Chaka Khan
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    edited September 2013
    Assata Shakur

Great article and yeah we do need a 3rd party to represent us, I've been saying this for years now
    actually the article to me was ? I just grabbed one that spoke on the issue there are a few far better articles I will post later...@kingblaze84

later is now as why put off for later what can be done now lol...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/02/joanne-chesimard-fbi-_n_3200053.html

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-05-08/lifestyle/39114982_1_state-trooper-black-power-cuba

http://blackagendareport.com/content/not-your-daddys-cointelpro-obama-brands-assata-shakur-most-wanted-terrorist

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=10190

these articles I can more fully support and are must reads(and watch) for anyone that truly wants to understand the impact of naming Assata a Terrorist and what it truly means for our culture...
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Tupac Amaru Shakur
  • BIGG WILL
    BIGG WILL Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The idea of having a "favorite" person of any time is kinda silly to me. They all did their thing and should be respected.

I would mention Richard Aoki since he was down with them from the start, gave them their military training and slant, and shows that the Panthers were never the "black supremacists" that people tried to paint them as. Unfortunately, I recently learned Aoki was a FBI informant, though I'm not sure what he informed on given that the Panthers had more problems with local cops than the Feds.
  • kingblaze84
    Huey Newton

actually the article to me was ? I just grabbed one that spoke on the issue there are a few far better articles I will post later...@kingblaze84

later is now as why put off for later what can be done now lol...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/02/joanne-chesimard-fbi-_n_3200053.html

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-05-08/lifestyle/39114982_1_state-trooper-black-power-cuba

http://blackagendareport.com/content/not-your-daddys-cointelpro-obama-brands-assata-shakur-most-wanted-terrorist

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=10190

these articles I can more fully support and are must reads(and watch) for anyone that truly wants to understand the impact of naming Assata a Terrorist and what it truly means for our culture...

Props fam I'm gonna check this out soon
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fred Hampton
    The idea of having a "favorite" person of any time is kinda silly to me.

I'm still not quite sure that I understand this bit of "criticism." How is having a favorite Black Panther silly? I think that I might understand being at least confused by the term "favorite," but I don't even think that semantics is the case here. Isn't it just possible and reasonable that a person might "favor" a certain Black Panther more than the others because that person finds that certain Black Panther more relatable or admirable? That that person might "favor" that certain Black Panther's viewpoint or ideology over those of other Black Panthers, especially since, and once again for the third time I want to reiterate here, there were many different and competing philosophies and "philosophers" within the BPP?
    They all did their thing and should be respected.

^^^ This also make me think (note: I could just as easily be wrong) that this isn't about semantics but more about, for the lack of a better word, "feelings." No disrespect. But you seem to imply that having a favorite Black Panther is somehow mutually exclusive with respecting the other Black Panthers. That obviously doesnt make sense, or at least it seems that way to me. You also seem to assume that the Black Panthers are a monolithic, uniform group in which all members deserve undying respect. I think that that's unwarranted, and I think that it's perfectly reasonable to despise some Black Panthers and have little respect for what they did and at the same time admire other Black Panthers and have more respect for what they did. "They all did their thing and should be respected" sounds like an empty generalization that ignores the important and interesting differences within the BPP.

So, if I'm understanding this criticism correctly, it just seems that it comes from being sensitive and offended. How dare someone have a favorite Black Panther! That's sacrilegious. We can have favorites when it comes to musicians and presidents but not when it comes to our "'soldiers of the struggle' (see previous, relevant post)." Well, with all due respect, I disagree with that sentiment for reasons previously stated. Meh.
    I would mention Richard Aoki since he was down with them from the start, gave them their military training and slant, and shows that the Panthers were never the "black supremacists" that people tried to paint them as. Unfortunately, I recently learned Aoki was a FBI informant, though I'm not sure what he informed on given that the Panthers had more problems with local cops than the Feds.

Not familiar with Aoki. Sounds interesting. I'll look into him. But yeah, the government had its hands in everything. That bastard Hoover didn't ? around.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plutarch wrote: »

I'm still not quite sure that I understand this bit of "criticism." How is having a favorite Black Panther silly? I think that I might understand being at least confused by the term "favorite," but I don't even think that semantics is the case here. Isn't it just possible and reasonable that a person might "favor" a certain Black Panther more than the others because that person finds that certain Black Panther more relatable or admirable? That that person might "favor" that certain Black Panther's viewpoint or ideology over those of other Black Panthers, especially since, and once again for the third time I want to reiterate here, there were many different and competing philosophies and "philosophers" within the BPP?

Ehh I don't know. The idea of a favorite person always seems weird to me, but it could just be me. I get where you're coming from though. Maybe it is just a semantical thing. Like I would never say someone was my favorite person, but I could identify who I respected the most. At the end of the day, it's the same thing I guess.
    They all did their thing and should be respected.

^^^ This also make me think (note: I could just as easily be wrong) that this isn't about semantics but more about, for the lack of a better word, "feelings." No disrespect. But you seem to imply that having a favorite Black Panther is somehow mutually exclusive with respecting the other Black Panthers. That obviously doesnt make sense, or at least it seems that way to me. You also seem to assume that the Black Panthers are a monolithic, uniform group in which all members deserve undying respect. I think that that's unwarranted, and I think that it's perfectly reasonable to despise some Black Panthers and have little respect for what they did and at the same time admire other Black Panthers and have more respect for what they did. "They all did their thing and should be respected" sounds like an empty generalization that ignores the important and interesting differences within the BPP.

So, if I'm understanding this criticism correctly, it just seems that it comes from being sensitive and offended. How dare someone have a favorite Black Panther! That's sacrilegious. We can have favorites when it comes to musicians and presidents but not when it comes to our "'soldiers of the struggle' (see previous, relevant post)." Well, with all due respect, I disagree with that sentiment for reasons previously stated. Meh.[/quote]

Nah it definitely isn't that serious. Like I said, it just seems weird to me. You got the right to say someone is your favorite, and that's not sacreligious. I just would parse out favor like that. It's like asking who is your favorite Civil Rights activist? I might say that I think that MLK has more to do with the eventual ending of segregation, but I don't favor him over X or Medgar Evers or anyone else. And I wouldn't say he's more important. It's really just a matter of perspective I guess.

Not familiar with Aoki. Sounds interesting. I'll look into him. But yeah, the government had its hands in everything. That bastard Hoover didn't ? around.[/quote]

Yeah, his story is pretty interesting. He's pretty much responsible for common perceived image of the Black Panthers. It's really weird. The reasons the Panthers were feared was because of their militaristic image. It's ironic that the government would be supporting the guy that is largely to blame for that image.