Halfabrick wrote: »
    kzzl wrote: »
    My criticism of don lemon stems from me questioning the true intent of his criticism. We know these problems exist, we know they need to be corrected. Efforts are being made. But the segment struck me as condescending blame to our culture for our injustice in this country. Cause it ain't our culture that's bringing the constant injustice towards our people, it's the racism of this country.

He simply tried to feed us the same stereotypes society uses against us, which is some uncle tom ? . They're claiming that the dudes a ? anyway. If that's true, he should know enough about discrimination to not just start pointing fingers with typical deflections that distract from the real issue.

But that's what house ? do. Put down other blacks and tell master, "we's sho' told them, masa".
    Since you actually took time to write a civil reply. Ill reply to waht you said. This here is not true what black people do not see is whole picture does racism exist? yes but we ourselves are far more destructive just look around how the black on black crime the church single parent household is destroying black community

How is that not true? Racism is the bigger problem here.

There are destructive factors in our community. I'd like to say that solving all these problems would solve the rest. But the fact is that we can't really say that. We can't say that up lifting the black community is going to do us any good when great men have tried that already. They tried and were killed as a result. Men far more educated, disciplined, and versed in the power voice than any of us. They didn't wear baggy clothes, they weren't in the trap house, they were the complete opposite of our modern stereotypes. Still they were hated and murdered by the hundreds in the past.

What's to say that donning a suit, reading a few books, and going cold turkey is going to change anything. No amount of education and fancy clothes is going to change that we're black. And when it's their hate for the color of our skin that started all this you can't just point the blame at hip hop culture and loose women.

You never deconstructed what I said you just simply reworded a few things to make it sound like you did. I already acknowledged racism is a problem and it exists. But the picture is far bigger than just white people hating black people. it's not Racism that is causing all this destructive behavior done by black people to black people

You bolded that me saying racism was an issue wasn't true. I explained to you one of the reasons I think it is in detail.

You're misunderstand my first response to you. I ALREADY ACKNOWLEDGED racism existed before you explained in detail

And as I said to that response, simply cleaning up the community may not be enough. As I tried to convey in that response, there's a bigger issue at hand that still may prevent a rising community. A bigger issue that has done so many times in the past to stop it. Focusing on black genocide is not the only, nor greatest obstacle we face.

Like i said before i already said racism exist BEFORE you explained in detail. You among other black people have this blame every thing on race solution without seeing the whole picture. Is it racism that forces black on black crime or the degeneration of the black female or forcing black children to be brought up in a single parent household?

My point has never been to stress about black on black crime. Black on black genocide is a definite problem of course. Yes we do have a responsibility to that as well. That's common sense, anybody can see that already. We have our part to be accountable for.

What you, and lemon, seem to be dancing from is the hand that racism plays in the bigger picture as well. In fact, it is the picture. I'm you can't just blame the ? , ignoring the elephant in the room. Cause that seems to be all you do. In every post you make on these subjects, you just blame the ? .

You're trying the whole "pull up your boot straps" routine, but they took the laces out of them before they gave them to us. How many more black people have to attempt to unite and die, before you realize this isn't just about a pocket full of stones and bad ? . We're in this situation cause they want us to be from what history has shown.

I think Don Lemon and the intelligent Blacks that support his stance have seen the results of waiting for Whites to realize they are in the wrong and for them to change their ways. Guess what? That ? ain't happening. I agree with your belief that whites have ? us over time and time again and continue to do so. So why are we, as a collective, continually looking to them for answers on how to fix us?? That's what I don't get with people constantly bringing whites into this argument. Don Lemon didn't inject whites into the conversation, his detractors did. We have a responsibility to fix ourselves for US. To build better legacies of Black pride for US. To circulate black dollars in black businesses for US. If we can figure out how to do that, how would White's opinions of us affect us?? Our reality now is that we have to obtain the means to do so. That means dressing respectable and acting respectable. That is the big picture people fail to notice

• Wild Willie in the A
    Wild Willie in the A Members Posts: 281
    My criticism of don lemon stems from me questioning the true intent of his criticism. We know these problems exist, we know they need to be corrected. Efforts are being made. But the segment struck me as condescending blame to our culture for our injustice in this country. Cause it ain't our culture that's bringing the constant injustice towards our people, it's the racism of this country.

He simply tried to feed us the same stereotypes society uses against us, which is some uncle tom ? . They're claiming that the dudes a ? anyway. If that's true, he should know enough about discrimination to not just start pointing fingers with typical deflections that distract from the real issue.

But that's what house ? do. Put down other blacks and tell master, "we's sho' told them, masa".
    Since you actually took time to write a civil reply. Ill reply to waht you said. This here is not true what black people do not see is whole picture does racism exist? yes but we ourselves are far more destructive just look around how the black on black crime the church single parent household is destroying black community

There are destructive factors in our community. I'd like to say that solving all these problems would solve the rest. But the fact is that we can't really say that. We can't say that up lifting the black community is going to do us any good when great men have tried that already. They tried and were killed as a result. Men far more educated, disciplined, and versed in the power voice than any of us. They didn't wear baggy clothes, they weren't in the trap house, they were the complete opposite of our modern stereotypes. Still they were hated and murdered by the hundreds in the past.

What's to say that donning a suit, reading a few books, and going cold turkey is going to change anything. No amount of education and fancy clothes is going to change that we're black. And when it's their hate for the color of our skin that started all this you can't just point the blame at hip hop culture and loose women.

You never deconstructed what I said you just simply reworded a few things to make it sound like you did. I already acknowledged racism is a problem and it exists. But the picture is far bigger than just white people hating black people. it's not Racism that is causing all this destructive behavior done by black people to black people

You bolded that me saying racism was an issue wasn't true. I explained to you one of the reasons I think it is in detail.

You're misunderstand my first response to you. I ALREADY ACKNOWLEDGED racism existed before you explained in detail

And as I said to that response, simply cleaning up the community may not be enough. As I tried to convey in that response, there's a bigger issue at hand that still may prevent a rising community. A bigger issue that has done so many times in the past to stop it. Focusing on black genocide is not the only, nor greatest obstacle we face.

Like i said before i already said racism exist BEFORE you explained in detail. You among other black people have this blame every thing on race solution without seeing the whole picture. Is it racism that forces black on black crime or the degeneration of the black female or forcing black children to be brought up in a single parent household?

NOPE!!!!

I suggest you look up the documentary on Planned Parenthood. There's a book as well, but I can't recall it. It's the in the video, though. Never the less, the black family was targeted years ago.

yeah, so everyone is brainwashed into having unprotected sex with deadbeat ass ? ...yeah...okay. Its up to ourselves not to fall into the trap. I'm a black man, married to a black woman for 10+ years and most of all of my freinds are married and dont have kids out of wedlock either....
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

My point has never been to stress about black on black crime. Black on black genocide is a definite problem of course. Yes we do have a responsibility to that as well. That's common sense, anybody can see that already. We have our part to be accountable for.

What you, and lemon, seem to be dancing from is the hand that racism plays in the bigger picture as well. In fact, it is the picture. I'm you can't just blame the ? , ignoring the elephant in the room. Cause that seems to be all you do. In every post you make on these subjects, you just blame the ? .

You're trying the whole "pull up your boot straps" routine, but they took the laces out of them before they gave them to us. How many more black people have to attempt to unite and die, before you realize this isn't just about a pocket full of stones and bad ? . We're in this situation cause they want us to be from what history has shown.

I think Don Lemon and the intelligent Blacks that support his stance have seen the results of waiting for Whites to realize they are in the wrong and for them to change their ways. Guess what? That ? ain't happening. I agree with your belief that whites have ? us over time and time again and continue to do so. So why are we, as a collective, continually looking to them for answers on how to fix us?? That's what I don't get with people constantly bringing whites into this argument. Don Lemon didn't inject whites into the conversation, his detractors did. We have a responsibility to fix ourselves for US. To build better legacies of Black pride for US. To circulate black dollars in black businesses for US. If we can figure out how to do that, how would White's opinions of us affect us?? Our reality now is that we have to obtain the means to do so. That means dressing respectable and acting respectable. That is the big picture people fail to notice

Well, that's a wrong impression I'm giving. I'm not trying to tell people to look to whites for help, I'm trying to tell them that racist whites never had our best interest in mind in the first place. That from the patterns I've seen, are determined to only maintain their best interest.

The other point I'm making and trying to grasp myself, is if we really can accomplish the things we want to happen. Cause I don't know to be honest. Their opinion of us has already affected so much on our history. We would be foolish to under estimate it now. Whether we like it or not, they're opinion matters. It's clear they don't respect ours, nor our lives from what I've gathered. I mean, if getting money was truly the route to go, why does a tragedy like black wall street exist. Can we really say that kind of thing won't happen once blacks start stacking and circulating our own paper again?
  • kzzl
    edited July 2013
    Fam how old are you? You're so lost it's sad

yeah, so everyone is brainwashed into having unprotected sex with deadbeat ass ? ...yeah...okay. Its up to ourselves not to fall into the trap. I'm a black man, married to a black woman for 10+ years and most of all of my freinds are married and dont have kids out of wedlock either....

Yeah, I get your point, now try to find mine. It's an informative movie. Invite your married friends over to join you even. If you've already watched it, prove it wrong.
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • BIGG WILL
    BIGG WILL Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the kkk doesn't even need to ? black people anymore young black people are killing young black people

Yep, like Pac said, "Its not them that's killing us, its us that's killing us."

• DrGo0
    DrGo0 Members Posts: 18
    It all boils to poor culture. Poor people make poor decisions i.e. killing each other over dumb stuff, not going to school, and having babies early.

Poor people have kids, and they emulate the poor people around them.

Any discussion about this topic must also be about slavery and and all the historic racism through out the us.
    It also has to be about the current racism that even qualified black people are ignored for high paying jobs.
    It also has to be about the fact black people are all different.

Yes there are black people who are ? ? up, but you have no right to treat me like I'm suspect.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We as a race are such hypocrites and a perfect example of this is in the don lemon thread.

Who is Don Lemon? I don’t think that I want to know who Don Lemon is. Nevermind.
    the reason why i chose to make this thread and not in grown and sexy is because you cant have a logical discussion in there.

Lol, this is true.
    As soon as someone black critisiese the black community other black people call the person a ? and a sellout ect

Not always. It depends on how and in what context the criticism is said. I don’t think too many people are calling Chuck D and KRS-One ? even though others like Bill Cosby might be called ? because they seem old and bitter about it. I don’t know.
    when the real ? are the priests and some of these rappers who hold power in the black community. Why aren't these so called priests bringing up the black problems in the black community at church? Because they dont care they dont even live in the hood they live in the suburbs.

I think that’s unfair and too common. We can’t blame churches. And ? knows we’ve been blaming rap music for decades now. It’s not their fault. It’s our fault. People need to hold themselves accountable. And just because they live in the suburbs doesn’t discredit anything that they might do. But it’s true that you might not be able to truly understand the problem if you don’t experience it where it’s at.
    We all know what the problems the black community has yet we continue to do the same thing over and over. For eaxmple we all know and see what single parent households has done to the black community yet these black females continue to have babies with these ? guys. How can any female of self value have several kids by several guys

I think that that particular problem is made up of a lot of other smaller and bigger problems. I won’t say that those women intentionally do what they do knowing the negative effects that might result. It’s part of a system? Systems are deeply rooted and hard to destroy.
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come on people. Since WE know that we are target, why on ? earth do we keep getting shot again and again?

Looks like some of us like to be treat ed like that imo.
    No more excuses !! We have to act up period.
    Our kidds get shot in the hood at midnight. Lets keep them in hour houses with books. The obesity is killing us. Let s reduce that junk food ? . And please stop wiht the ' i got no time to cook bruh ' excuse
    More values more knowledge less sneakers burger king and alcohol.
    Use condoms and stop that baby moma ? . We are DON IMUSing our women everyday.
    It s up to me to you to us. Nobody else will do that for us.
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY

Bruh explain me why you got a BLACK president?
    Your system is not 1000% racist and bigot.
    Most of us have the choice in most of our lifes ' crossroads.
    We must not forget what happened to us but for our ancestors sake we must progress.
    No ? Tparty guy forces you to have some baby daddy /mama.
    No white supremacist pushes you to dumb and uneducated. No racist guy put a gun in your head so you eat that ? food bruh.
    I used to act like that. I used to say that since i m a ? i was destined to loose programmed to hate ? and myself. Once i started to take RESPONSIBILITY my life changed...
    I am a black non commissioned officer in the french army. I ll be a future sexologist and criminologist. And i listen to hiphop and i sip and i ? women and i cook.
    I m no superman bruh i am just MOTIVATED. I have never been in the US so what? I used your HIP HOP to learn your language your slang.
    It is all about who whants it the most!!
    Every morning i listen to Pacs white mens world mobb deep shook ones
    And TI go get it. After i am convinced that nobody but ? can stop me or derail me from my agenda.

THIS WHAT I VE LEARN FROM THE US ARMY
    INTERVENE ACT MOTIVATE bruh
  • kzzl
    lemzola wrote: »
    We must not forget what happened to us but for our ancestors sake we must progress.
    No white supremacist pushes you to dumb and uneducated. No racist guy put a gun in your head so you eat that ? food bruh.
    I used to act like that. I used to say that since i m a ? i was destined to loose programmed to hate ? and myself. Once i started to take RESPONSIBILITY my life changed...
    I am a black non commissioned officer in the french army. I ll be a future sexologist and criminologist. And i listen to hiphop and i sip and i ? women and i cook.
    I m no superman bruh i am just MOTIVATED. I have never been in the US so what? I used your HIP HOP to learn your language your slang.
    And TI go get it. After i am convinced that nobody but ? can stop me or derail me from my agenda.

@lemzola

We got a black president that used racism "change" to play with the hearts of american society. A cunning chess move IMO. Along with other factors I'd have to grab my tin foil hat to address, but I left that in the truck.

Yet still we have a black president that can't sit in his chair in the oval office with his feet on the desk without getting criticized by the media? Can't look at his white staff members without a smile on his face. With whites feeling the need to "take their country back" when a black president is in office? It's a shame to why a black president is such a big deal in the first place. He's there, but that don't mean the problem went away.

That's what they want us to think, so we'd stop calling them out on the ? they pull.

I've said multiple times that we have to take responsibility and forward our ? . But responsibility, motivation, and getting our act together isn't going solve everything. We'll still have to fight that monster of racist white supremacy in the end, before it's all said and done.

Besides, you're in France. Your'e going to learn what the US is really bout when you get here, though. You might even have to deal with ? from other blacks even, some of us are ignorant like that.

From my own personal experiences, I can tell you that racism bomb is a rude awakening to get. You're in denial to not say racism isn't THE problem. Or maybe you've been fortunate enough to not ever deal with it. But believe me, you're going to see some crazy ? . And you're going to wonder why blacks are the only ones getting blasted on tv for not behaving right.
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY

@lemzola

We got a black president that used racism "change" to play with the hearts of american society. A cunning chess move IMO. Along with other factors I'd have to grab my tin foil hat to address, but I left that in the truck.

Yet still we have a black president that can't sit in his chair in the oval office with his feet on the desk without getting criticized by the media? Can't look at his white staff members without a smile on his face. With whites feeling the need to "take their country back" when a black president is in office? It's a shame to why a black president is such a big deal in the first place. He's there, but that don't mean the problem went away.

That's what they want us to think, so we'd stop calling them out on the ? they pull.

I've said multiple times that we have to take responsibility and forward our ? . But responsibility, motivation, and getting our act together isn't going solve everything. We'll still have to fight that monster of racist white supremacy in the end, before it's all said and done.

Besides, you're in France. Your'e going to learn what the US is really bout when you get here, though. You might even have to deal with ? from other blacks even, some of us are ignorant like that.

From my own personal experiences, I can tell you that racism bomb is a rude awakening to get. You're in denial to not say racism isn't THE problem. Or maybe you've been fortunate enough to not ever deal with it. But believe me, you're going to see some crazy ? . And you're going to wonder why blacks are the only ones getting blasted on tv for not behaving right.

Bruh i agree 100%. Believe me when i say that besides police brutality it is the same system.
    But we cannot freeze and cry.
    Racism exist but black on black hate too! By being uneducated and making poor life choices we make half the job for the conservatives.
    We go too often to the battle after we have destroyed our weapons and unity ourselves. And hip hop represent that mindstate at best. Hate
    , women are ? , destroying careers beefs znd dumbing down.
    We are our own jim crow now. They just have to ignite a little now.

We must clean ourselves of the poison that dwell in our souls without forget to pump our fists
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blacks will be alright when they turned into oozaros during the age of aqarius and wreck havoc.
  • DrGo0
    edited August 2013
    also I enjoy how people act like hiphop is the reason for anything. Art historically very rarely starts trends out of the blue. Art is largely a reaction to the times. These artists are not causing people to do things. The people are inspiring the artists to do things.

Also lets not forget the largest buyer and seller of hiphop are not black people...
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    DrGo0 wrote: »
    also I enjoy how people act like hiphop is the reason for anything. Art historically very rarely starts trends out of the blue. Art is largely a reaction to the times. These artists are not causing people to do things. The people are inspiring the artists to do things.

I think that it is mutual
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also lets not forget the largest buyer and seller of hiphop are not black people...

If this was the 80's, when rap/hiphop was actually social commentary, I would agree with your argument. However, in this day and age where rappers rent the houses, cars, and girls they claim they have and make up their criminal backgrounds and histories, it's hard to justify the "art imitating life" argument.

And while I agree with White people consuming rap more, WE tend to incorporate these lives. Whites dont have the burden of being stigmatized based on rap stereotypes. That ? is unfair and a ridiculous double standard but until things change, that is our reality. We have to collectively come together and stop seeking help from outside our race to heal us. When that happens we can move forward. We have already proven to be the strongest race in the world. We need to start acting like it and let go of the bulshit
  • DrGo0

not really. If you really look at the issues that black people faced before hiphop it's largely the same. It's not like hiphop created the problem.

These issues are part of a bigger problem that people who just want to place blame will fail to see..
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY

not really. If you really look at the issues that black people faced before hiphop it's largely the same. It's not like hiphop created the problem.

These issues are part of a bigger problem that people who just want to place blame will fail to see..

Bruh i said that hiphop is a representation of what plagues us... no way it will the cause... but by listening only i am able to list those problems.
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    Chinese emperors use to listen to the music so they could see which population was on the verge of revolting againt them.

By listening to hiphop you can point out whats wrong and good with us without puting your foot in ghettos... that s tha magic of art.
  • DrGo0

If this was the 80's, when rap/hiphop was actually social commentary, I would agree with your argument. However, in this day and age where rappers rent the houses, cars, and girls they claim they have and make up their criminal backgrounds and histories, it's hard to justify the "art imitating life" argument.

And while I agree with White people consuming rap more, WE tend to incorporate these lives. Whites dont have the burden of being stigmatized based on rap stereotypes. That ? is unfair and a ridiculous double standard but until things change, that is our reality. We have to collectively come together and stop seeking help from outside our race to heal us. When that happens we can move forward. We have already proven to be the strongest race in the world. We need to start acting like it and let go of the bulshit
    You are essentially making my point. In these times the people "respect" people with criminal backgrounds so the artist makes up stories about their criminal background to fit in. If the culture didn't respect these people they would be trying other things to fit in. This is a clear case of the real world forcing the artist to conform.
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY

You are essentially making my point. In these times the people "respect" people with criminal backgrounds so the artist makes up stories about their criminal background to fit in. If the culture didn't respect these people they would be trying other things to fit in. This is a clear case of the real world forcing the artist to conform.

It more than the criminal background.
    You can see the through hiphop the way we look at women. You can see the way we look at material stuffs. You can see the way we are quick to separate each other. You can see the hate.
    Ironically a poster was talking to me how haters are good and necessary to advance...
    He does not want to be surrounded with critics he likes to see jalous people next to him... smh
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent point, although I think Don Lemon went too far in what he said......
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    My only beef with this thread is that it is generalizing Blacks to a large extent. By reading this thread, an ignorant person would say, "wow Black people as a whole really are hypocrites and lack critical thinking skills". If one was to say some or many Blacks suffer from this, yes I would agree.

Anyway, from my observation, it seems the problems of SOME in the Black community is too many reckless baby mamas raising their kids horribly, without being able to afford them. Same with dads bringing kids up in the world without being able to afford them. It creates a terrible cycle, making young kids look at the world negatively because they don't have parents who are there for them enough. Kids shouldn't be raising kids, and broke people shouldn't be raising kids IF they are not in a committed relationship or have a good job and or education behind them. Most of the problems would be solved in the Black community if the broke/young people having kids would not be having kids.

Of course there are other issues like racism and the like but the issues I brought up above are the biggest reasons why so many Blacks are ? in America. My two cents.
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    My only beef with this thread is that it is generalizing Blacks to a large extent. By reading this thread, an ignorant person would say, "wow Black people as a whole really are hypocrites and lack critical thinking skills". If one was to say some or many Blacks suffer from this, yes I would agree.

Anyway, from my observation, it seems the problems of SOME in the Black community is too many reckless baby mamas raising their kids horribly, without being able to afford them. Same with dads bringing kids up in the world without being able to afford them. It creates a terrible cycle, making young kids look at the world negatively because they don't have parents who are there for them enough. Kids shouldn't be raising kids, and broke people shouldn't be raising kids IF they are not in a committed relationship or have a good job and or education behind them. Most of the problems would be solved in the Black community if the broke/young people having kids would not be having kids.

Values and knowledge transmission doesnt require is to be rich.
    You can live with one parent and progress. It all about the transmission of values such as hard work self respect team work critics over hating etc...
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013